Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

FizFashizzle posted:

My mom got me one as a stuffing stocker once and I didn’t at first get how good a gift it was.

It was one of the ones that had three lights, green yellow and red.

Green = no drinks
Red = failed

Not sure what yellow was.

Think yellow is retest or something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Did ohp last night after >2 weeks off and somehow my lower back is sore. It's supposed to be deadlift day today.

Might take a rest day.

The Ferret King
Nov 23, 2003

cluck cluck
When I lose tightness on OHP it always kills my lower back.

Bakalakadaka
Sep 18, 2004

I'm going to sign up for a new more expensive gym so I can workout on my lunch break at work instead of at 5am is this a good plan or a great plan?

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

My gym is currently playing let it go :thunk:

naem
May 29, 2011

Firos posted:

https://youtu.be/wG8PF1HWO48

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Firos posted:

If that's not a pr song idk what is.

The Ferret King posted:

When I lose tightness on OHP it always kills my lower back.

I spent the 2 weeks slouched on a sofa that might have something to do with it, too.

Firos
Apr 30, 2007

Staying abreast of the latest developments in jam communism

sassassin posted:

If that's not a pr song idk what is.

Unfortunately I was finishing up with some lat raises when it came on. No big bench PRs today :rip:

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

TFW you're doing deadlifts and some dude comes up between sets and says "drat dude, you're a lot stronger than you look."

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

god almighty i did a workout with axel bar deadlifts

my forearms

teen phone cutie
Jun 18, 2012

last year i rewrote something awful from scratch because i hate myself
Just tried on my Spider-man halloween costume and boy did I not realize how big my thighs were until I put the suit on. Maybe I should cool it with the squatting

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

Grump posted:

Just tried on my Spider-man halloween costume and boy did I not realize how big my thighs were until I put the suit on. Maybe I should cool it with the squatting

nah

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Chief McHeath posted:

TFW you're doing deadlifts and some dude comes up between sets and says "drat dude, you're a lot stronger than you look."

Do you take this as a compliment or a burn :thunk:

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
"Deload week"

Hahahahaha

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe
deload my loving balls

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Data Graham posted:

Do you take this as a compliment or a burn :thunk:

Definite grey area, but I'm tall and skinny so I took it as a compliment.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Chief McHeath posted:

related: a couple years ago when I was doing DLs and some lady is getting an introductory tour through the gym with a trainer and I hear her tell him "wow I didn't think he could lift that much" :smugjones:

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
The world is full of haters.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Get bigger muscles mates

"Whats the point of being strong if you don't also look strong?"
- Confucius

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Zzulu posted:

Get bigger muscles mates

"Whats the point of being strong if you don't also look strong?"
- Confucius

Confucius was a full-time hater.

Chief McHeath
Apr 23, 2002

Zzulu posted:

Get bigger muscles mates

That's why I am lifting heavy weights??

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

FizFashizzle posted:

god almighty i did a workout with axel bar deadlifts

my forearms

I put fatgrips on the bar for the warm up sets on DL (only on the first 2 sets). You get hilariously bad gripstrength because of those few centimeters.

Thesaurus
Oct 3, 2004

i sometimes think that if my fingers were ever so slightly less stubby I'd be able to deadlift a lot more

bamhand
Apr 15, 2010
Just use some straps. I won't judge.

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

Straps made deadlifts my favorite exercise. Instead of constantly worrying about the bar gradually slipping off with each rep I can concentrate on my form much better. Worth the price of doing some additional grip and forearm work imo

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I've been finding barbell shrugs is a great way to work on grip strength. The whole point is to let the barbell hang and only lift with your traps, so you've basically got a deathgrip on the bar for the entire 10-12 set. Granted you guys are probably DLing a shitload more than me, but I've definitely noticed a difference in my DLs since I started doing shrugs every workout.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.
gotta chalk them hands too

dusty hands, dusty life

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Mix grip and chalk both help.
Try hook grip (different to double overhand ive just discovered)

Also put shrugs in the loving bin. If you want to improve your grip do farmers walks. Shrugs are a giant waste of time.

There is really no point to being alive if you cant or wont do deadlift.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

I like shrugs :shrug:

See what I did there :smuggo:

Srsly though it's made an awesomely noticable difference in my neck, both appearance-wise and reduction in neck pain.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Don't use hook grip.

Dum Cumpster
Sep 12, 2003

*pozes your neghole*

Sludge Tank posted:

Mix grip and chalk both help.
Try hook grip (different to double overhand ive just discovered)

Also put shrugs in the loving bin. If you want to improve your grip do farmers walks. Shrugs are a giant waste of time.

There is really no point to being alive if you cant or wont do deadlift.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=calE7MiHRVM

This guy shrugs

also fucks

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

what's with the legs-outside-arms stance? Never seen that before.

DLed 3x5 230 today which is by far a new PR for me (last best was 1x5 225). Is there a reliable cue for "don't attempt this rep it will destroy your back?" I always worry about that. The last couple reps on my last set were a little iffy, but I'm making sure to hold my back neutral and chest out before pushing up.

Herbicidal Maniac
Jun 3, 2008

You will be the effigy I burn, infused with all the traits that make them the detestable little goblins they are.

Aaaand I failed my first ever squat. On the 4th rep of the final set, but at 250# which was something I was doing well enough a while ago. :negative: Right in front of some bros, but they were only leg pressing 360.

Do shrugs, deadlifts, and farmers carries why not?

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Its a sumo deadlift.
I would argue his incredibly wide stance and long arms means the bar doesnt really travel very far off the ground making it a marginally less impressive lift than a conventional deadlift but the federations dont care and its considered legal so whatever. Hes still strong as gently caress.

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Kelp Me! posted:

DLed 3x5 230 today which is by far a new PR for me (last best was 1x5 225). Is there a reliable cue for "don't attempt this rep it will destroy your back?" I always worry about that. The last couple reps on my last set were a little iffy, but I'm making sure to hold my back neutral and chest out before pushing up.

It's as subtle as the difference between "I think I'm gonna poo poo my tailbone" and "oh god I just poo poo my tailbone" in that you're only going to realize it when it's already happened.

I have a bad habit of chasing gains with deadlifts (it's fuckin fun though) so if you're questioning injury at this point nobody would fault you for pulling a bit of weight and focusing on form. Held breaths/Valsalva, neutral back, close bar etc etc.

If you're really going to do damage during a deadlift it's because you beat eight shades of gently caress out of your shins and knees bringing the bar up, which I love and hate at the same time because I am not a pants man at the gym

Fallows
Jan 20, 2005

If he waits long enough he can use his accrued interest from his savings to bring his negative checking balance back into the black.
I deadlift less sumo than I do conventional, its not easier

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ElectricSheep posted:

It's as subtle as the difference between "I think I'm gonna poo poo my tailbone" and "oh god I just poo poo my tailbone" in that you're only going to realize it when it's already happened.

I have a bad habit of chasing gains with deadlifts (it's fuckin fun though) so if you're questioning injury at this point nobody would fault you for pulling a bit of weight and focusing on form. Held breaths/Valsalva, neutral back, close bar etc etc.

If you're really going to do damage during a deadlift it's because you beat eight shades of gently caress out of your shins and knees bringing the bar up, which I love and hate at the same time because I am not a pants man at the gym

I'm really more worried that I'm rounding my lower back too much and a vertebra is going to go shooting out of my lower spine at a high velocity. I try to keep chest and shoulders out and back neutral at the start, but I think it falls apart pretty quick when I actually do the push. I should do a form vid sometime.

e: should the bar really be dragging up your shins/knees? I try to keep it close but yeah, I worry that if I really let it lean against my legs it'd snap them like twigs or something.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Have you trained them with the same amount of frequency?

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Kelp Me! posted:

I'm really more worried that I'm rounding my lower back too much and a vertebra is going to go shooting out of my lower spine at a high velocity. I try to keep chest and shoulders out and back neutral at the start, but I think it falls apart pretty quick when I actually do the push. I should do a form vid sometime.

e: should the bar really be dragging up your shins/knees? I try to keep it close but yeah, I worry that if I really let it lean against my legs it'd snap them like twigs or something.

Yeah, chest out and up helps me not round off.

Also don't be afraid of dragging the bar. My take is, it isn't pleasant but it's the best way of knowing the bar's as close as it gets. No shin snapping, but you'll shave some hair off. If your bar has any kind of grip you'll sand skin with it too. poo poo, I should start wearing pants

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Fallows posted:

I deadlift less sumo than I do conventional, its not easier

I've heard it claimed that anthropometry effects which you find easier.