Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

The pic she posted on twitter is great, go check it out

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kingcom
Jun 23, 2012

Rygar201 posted:

The pic she posted on twitter is great, go check it out

Yeah https://twitter.com/HBS_thratchen?lang=en

Also the walk through of building a level was pretty cool and seeing a bit of the toolset.

I'm gonna link this every time someone talks some bs about star citizen open development lol.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

isildur posted:

The 'vacuum sunset' mood looks like this. I don't know if it's going to stay that way; the moods are all in flux as the art team fucks with the lighting and fog. But it looks pretty awesome right now. As hard as it is to make lunar maps interesting, I'm really starting to like them a lot. I'll post an in-editor screenshot to my twitter, if you're curious (@hbs_thratchen).

aniviron posted:

Looking forward to see what you do with lunar terrain, that's a challenge in almost any game setting.

Yep, crashed many a ship in KSP due to my own lighting choices (modded it to be dark AF in shadows/dark side) and lack of landing lights. As for it being boring terrain: I don't know if this is feasible with how LoS works with the location points on mechs, but those smaller craters seem like a perfectly legitimate reason to have mech sized foxholes we can get partial cover from. I know on the TT that would work, here it might only just obstruct LoS on both sides. Not really advantageous for anyone. That and you could have ones that work for smaller units but not big ones as posted before, but knowing which hole fits which mech right could be a pain. The vacuum worlds can also have cryo-volcanos/geysers or regular volcanic activity as you wish. Both of them could mess up a unit standing too close, but the fallout around them could screw with our sensors like the crystal fields on Death Valley. It would just be ice crystals or now frozen ash/debris coming back down from the eruptions.

For anyone too lazy to check her Twitter here is the pic. Check it anyway, the map building process tweets are eyeopening how much work it is.

Isildur, thanks for posting those! I know HBS are all hands on deck for getting the game done, but little bits of info help hold us over between the big KS updates.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!
I went through the game files and assembled a list of Mech variants based on Rarity values.

Rarity 0:
Urbanmech R60
Locust 1V
Commando 2D

Rarity 1:
Spider 1V
Shadowhawk 2H
Panther 9R
Locust 1S
Locust 1M
Jenner 7D
Hunchback 4G
Griffin 1N
Cicada 2A
Commando 1B
Cicada 3C
Blackjack BJ1
Wolverine 6R

Rarity 2:
Wolverine 6K
Vindicator 1R
Trebuchet 5N
Shadowhawk 2D
Hunchback 4P
Griffin 1S
Dragon 1N
Centurion 9A

Rarity 3:
Thunderbolt 5S
Quickdraw 4G
Orion 1K
Kintaro 18
Jagermech 6S
Enforcer 4R
Centurion 9AL
Catapult C1

Rarity 4:
Zeus 6S
Victor 9B
Thunderbolt 5SS
Thunderbolt 5SE
Stalker 3F
Quickdraw 5A
Orion 1V
Jagermech 6A
Highlander 733
Grasshopper 5H
Banshee 3E
Awesome 8T
Awesome 8Q

Rarity 5:
Victor 9S
King Crab 0000
Highlander 733P
Cataphract 1X
Black Knight BL6
Battlemaster 1G
Banshee 3M
Atlas 7D

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

I have only been slightly keeping up with this, I just wanna play the final version, I don't care about the beta - but what the gently caress is a Rarity value?

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Remora posted:

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

I have only been slightly keeping up with this, I just wanna play the final version, I don't care about the beta - but what the gently caress is a Rarity value?

What do your critical thinking skills tell you?

It can only be one of two things:
- how often those 'Mechs can turn up in the shop (and potentially which shops will stock them)
- how often those 'Mechs will turn up in campaign missions.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf

Remora posted:

waitwaitwaitwaitwait

You know the game is set with you as a Merc, right? Who might have to buy things?

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
The game was quietly changed to a Pokemon style collector game with medium sized robots.

Remora
Aug 15, 2010

Gwaihir posted:

You know the game is set with you as a Merc, right? Who might have to buy things?

PoptartsNinja posted:

- how often those 'Mechs can turn up in the shop (and potentially which shops will stock them)

or door number three
-someone put in microtransactions or loot crates or something when I wasn't paying attention

thank you both for clarifying it's a campaign mechanism

PoptartsNinja posted:

What do your critical thinking skills tell you?

Also, gently caress you a little, that's not necessary.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

PoptartsNinja posted:

My assumption is, it's actually both. Though I'm sure that occurred to you.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

My Atlas came in a foil pack!

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Gachapon?

No, fantasy costco.

Except giant robots.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Lmao, Gamers are so traumatized by loot boxes.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

"I'm looking for shiny Raven, will trade golden Timberwolf." This is the BT game everyone is asking for! :suicide:

Sadly, half the units that quote already exist. I'm glad MWT never got off the ground, the CCG concept was the nail in the coffin after having to swallow the horrible art design.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Remora posted:

or door number three
-someone put in microtransactions or loot crates or something when I wasn't paying attention

Ah yes, HBS is well known for their exploitation of gamers with the gambling boxes for spirits and ESPs back in Shadowrun Returns, why I remember

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

So I can't buy a $500 Gold plated Direwolf?

Game is poo poo, gently caress you Weissman, I'm going back to MWO where my money is appreciated

Section Z
Oct 1, 2008

Wait, this is the Moon.
How did I even get here?

Pillbug

Psycho Landlord posted:

Ah yes, HBS is well known for their exploitation of gamers with the gambling boxes for spirits and ESPs back in Shadowrun Returns, why I remember

They are probably more wary due to the more overt Battletech/Mechwarrior lisence and :pgi: being involved, regardless of them being just handing over the art assets and hooks for Harmony Gold to salivate over.

I mean how dare somebody who may not be familiar with their past games see this-

Paingod556 posted:

So I can't buy a $500 Gold plated Direwolf?

Game is poo poo, gently caress you Weissman, I'm going back to MWO where my money is appreciated

As a for realsies thing one of the companies attached to this game has done, want to be especially sure what rarity tables entail.

I know HBS would never pull that poo poo. They have also not failed a kickstarter so hard they got banned from Reddit. But there is certainly enough baggage for people less familiar with to wonder.

Section Z fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 26, 2017

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat

Remora posted:

Also, gently caress you a little, that's not necessary.

Yeah, you're right. It's been a rough day, sorry about that. I shouldn't be taking it out on you.

We don't know what it's for but if the HBS guys were planning on microtransactions they probably would've told us about them by now, so it's most likely something campaign related.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Well, we know that aside from named characters enemy forces will be randomly generated. So we can safely assume we're far more likely to see a Dragon show up than a Cataphract.

But PTN's right, 'Rarity' really only makes sense for the Campaign. Though it makes a ton of sense there, what Mechs you'll be able to buy (when that's possible) and what forces you face are likely both influenced by that number. Rarity runs on a scale of 0-5 so far, we should be swimming in the 0 and 1 rated Mechs.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Oct 26, 2017

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It could also be used (if they wanted) as a filter in the multiplayer, sort of like the A, B, C classes in the Wargame series. Default of all Rarities, but a little selector for how high of a rarity cap you want.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

spaced ninja posted:

The game was quietly changed to a Pokemon style collector game with medium sized robots.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MechWarrior_Tactics

How could you people forget? :cry:

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

At the time I was kind of annoyed that it died because I wanted a new tactical MW game, but in retrospect I am really, really happy that it imploded.

rocketrobot
Jul 11, 2003

Yes. It was really quite bad.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer
Ugh. gently caress gambling cards in a tactical turn based game.

gently caress gambling cards in games, period. MWT was especially bad because of the people who will never get their money back, how bad it ran, and that they were taking money for items in it despite it not running for half the people who had access at the time.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Mw5 will be A. M. A. Z. I. N. G.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
at producing hilarious posts on the internet, yes

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

sebmojo posted:

Mw5 will be A. M. A. Z. I. N. G.
Source your quotes.

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

Skoll posted:

gently caress gambling cards in games, period. MWT was especially bad because of the people who will never get their money back, how bad it ran, and that they were taking money for items in it despite it not running for half the people who had access at the time.

Oh hey, :hfive: fellow MWT scam victim! At least I didn't pay for anything besides the game itself and even got to play three whole matches before the whole thing became an unplayable morass. :doh:

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal
Thats pretty amazing. Not sure how I missed out on that being a thing, glad I did though because I totally would have put money into it. I still have a fairly large collection of cards from the BT TCG and only managed to played like 3 games total.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Internet Explorer posted:

My Atlas came in a foil pack!

unironically my favorite TCG, even though I only had maybe two friends and a relative who played it.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

Source your quotes.

I got that quote from a little place I like to call... The Future :smuggo:

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

sebmojo posted:

I got that quote from a little place I like to call... The Future :smuggo:

That bombed out shithole? Well there's your problem.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Freakazoid_ posted:

unironically my favorite TCG, even though I only had maybe two friends and a relative who played it.

Whattup TCG buddy. Played the poo poo out of that in middle/early high school.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
I'm fairly certain Isildur is going to enter this thread, and she's going to murder you all for even daring joke that this game is going the way of MechWarrior Tactics.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Sky Shadowing posted:

I'm fairly certain Isildur is going to enter this thread, and she's going to murder you all for even daring joke that this game is going the way of MechWarrior Tactics.

She's going to tell us to buy some Mech Crates for a chance at a High Rarity mech!

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll posted:

did you put money in lol

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Sky Shadowing posted:

:goonsay: Isildork

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

PoptartsNinja posted:

We don't know what it's for but if the HBS guys were planning on microtransactions they probably would've told us about them by now, so it's most likely something campaign related.

I believe we do know, actually, and it's what you surmise. Oh, maybe not the exact implementation, but there was a dev post or three a while ago about weighting availability of mechs and that lines up pretty well with what Q_res' list looks like.

so basically it's a campaign progression value, I'd put money on it

e: I guess in a way I already did put money on it since I backed the game, but you get what I mean.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Viva Miriya posted:

did you put money in lol

I did not, actually. Someone gave me a beta code to try it and the first thing when you got into MWT was BUY CARDS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Viva Miriya
Jan 9, 2007

Skoll posted:

I did not, actually. Someone gave me a beta code to try it and the first thing when you got into MWT was BUY CARDS.

lol