Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Zoro posted:

The Whisper works a lot better if you were following Jason Aaron's run from the beginning. It was made clear with his fight with Gore the god butcher that he had deep insecurities about the nature of gods and their necessity in the universe. Hearing from a mortal that he trusted who had the cosmic awareness of Uatu that his insecurities were right ruined his connection to humanity which Jason Aaron has been building up and continues to build up to be the main thing that makes Thor worthy, the fact that he does give a poo poo about Mortals more than any other God in the Marvel Universe.

Hammer doesn't work like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I might've teared up a little turning those last pages on silver surfer :cry:

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Lurdiak posted:

Hammer doesn't work like that.

Says who? The hammer can think for itself. Literally. Not only that, but they even comment that the spell has change from what Odin originally made it and not even Odin can control it now. Also it has taken human form and show that is capable of talking to people verbally.

Edit: what I'm saying is, the definition of being worthy has very explicitly changed.

Zoro fucked around with this message at 19:31 on Oct 25, 2017

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

site posted:

I might've teared up a little turning those last pages on silver surfer :cry:

Same. That bit about the Power Cosmic was the real kicker for me.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
I have holes in my brain so despite being a fan of Aaron's Thor since the start I don't remember: Was that really the big mystery whisper, "Gorr was right and all gods are lovely"? Man.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Diet Poison posted:

I have holes in my brain so despite being a fan of Aaron's Thor since the start I don't remember: Was that really the big mystery whisper, "Gorr was right and all gods are lovely"? Man.

Yep. What, 18+ months of suspense? for a big fart.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

SilverSupernova posted:

Same. That bit about the Power Cosmic was the real kicker for me.

In general I think I'm a little more easy on Dan Slott than a lot of people here, but I think his Silver Surfer has had a lot of legitimately beautiful things to say about grief and reading it has been a pleasant thing in some awful times in a way that I wouldn't have expected.

The school I work at has been getting a little more open about working comics into syllabi (ie. more than just Maus and the Watchmen-- tbh I think Fun Home and March sort of burst open the floodgates) and I've been tinkering with a seminar on Mourning & Melancholia that incorporates the two-parter about Dawn's father. My main concern is having to explain a lot of backstory continuity nonsense, but I feel like Slott at his best uses continuity as a grace note but lets the real heft of his story come from what's universal and intuitive in superhero stories, like a fairytale or allegory (incidentally I think his She-Hulk started going downhill when the continuity-cart started pulling the horse, and his Spider-Man is at its dullest when minutia is the point rather than a neat flourish). I think you could get away with saying, ok, there's this god, sort of, and he loves a human, enjoy.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I thought the Gorr reveal was great. Self doubt can cripple even a God.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

When I first read it I was like "That's it?" but the more I thought about it and remembered that story the more I realized it completely fit and made perfect sense.

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
I didn't care for Original Sin's retcon of Nick Fury at all, but otherwise it was a fine event. Not great, but not bad, just there.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
A lot of people are confused about a scene in the Amazing Spider-man today. Basically, Johnny Storm is pissed because Peter's creditors are selling the Baxter Building and Johnny offers to buy it, but says he only has 16,000 USD in his savings. Last week in Uncanny Avengers #28, Johnny inherited his family's fortune. This lead to a lot of people screaming "milkshake crew" because of course it did, but, apparently, some people are saying that's it's not an error because ASM 790 and UA aren't taking place at the same time point. Which, if true, should have had an editor's note. Not sure really.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

Original Sin was a fun event. It also brought back The Orb as a villain and made him a legitimate threat which I will always love it for.
Granted Original Sin also gave us that lovely GotG tie-in where Bendis decides to completely disregard the resolution of the Thanos Imperative and just have the cancerverse stop their invasion because ???

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition

Zoro posted:

A lot of people are confused about a scene in the Amazing Spider-man today. Basically, Johnny Storm is pissed because Peter's creditors are selling the Baxter Building and Johnny offers to buy it, but says he only has 16,000 USD in his savings. Last week in Uncanny Avengers #28, Johnny inherited his family's fortune. This lead to a lot of people screaming "milkshake crew" because of course it did, but, apparently, some people are saying that's it's not an error because ASM 790 and UA aren't taking place at the same time point. Which, if true, should have had an editor's note. Not sure really.

Yeah, all it means is that today's ASM takes place earlier than last week's UA. I wouldn't be surprised if that was something Zdarsky picks up on in Two-in-One.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Wanderer posted:

Yeah, all it means is that today's ASM takes place earlier than last week's UA. I wouldn't be surprised if that was something Zdarsky picks up on in Two-in-One.

To be honest, a lot of books are running out of sync right now due to team-ups and team crossovers. Like, Hulk being in the Avengers/Champions cross-over AND being trapped on Planet Hulk.

Edit: Holy poo poo, I'm reading X-Men Gold #1 right now and the crazy bastards are actually trying to summarize ALL OF X-MEN CANON in 5 pages. Dear God, the hubris!

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Zoro posted:

Edit: Holy poo poo, I'm reading X-Men Gold #1 right now and the crazy bastards are actually trying to summarize ALL OF X-MEN CANON in 5 pages. Dear God, the hubris!

Yes it's great. That should have been what they did for every title instead of the Primer Pages, which are fine but overall insubstantial.

Wanderer
Nov 5, 2006

our every move is the new tradition
Today's U.S. Avengers brings back the weird 1940s space-gangster Skrulls from more than 30 years ago, in Roger Stern's Avengers run. That was something I thought I'd never see again.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
Wait, nightcrawler doesn't have a soul after he stopped a theft of souls from heaven by hell by contacting the X-Men to join him in heaven? What? What!? WHAT!!!!!?

Zoro fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 26, 2017

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Wanderer posted:

Today's U.S. Avengers brings back the weird 1940s space-gangster Skrulls from more than 30 years ago, in Roger Stern's Avengers run. That was something I thought I'd never see again.

I think they showed up for an issue in the Kieron/Gillen Young Avengers, but those ones were a different shape shifting species that were pretending to be Skrulls.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Original sin is bad because uatu was killed.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Mr Hootington posted:

That pervy voyeur got what he deserved.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
I miss Uatau because he was basically defined by being loving terrible at the one job he had. The Watcher's whole thing was they watch without getting involved, and Uatu's whole thing was constantly getting involved. His first contact with the Fantastic Four was, "Hey, can't get involved, but Galactus is going to eat your planet, and also I have an Ultimate Nullifier that you definitely shouldn't steal from me, but if you stole it I still technically wouldn't be involved in this."

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

The first half of original sin was way better than the second half

I think it's all the parts involving nick fury that dragged it down

Edit: I still really miss old nick fury. I wish the movies would do what the Avengers assemble cartoon did, bring back the entire character in WW2 and just rename him Joseph Fury

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Zoro posted:

Wait, nightcrawler doesn't have a soul after he stopped a theft of souls from heaven by hell by contacting the X-Men to join him in heaven? What? What!? WHAT!!!!!?

First storyline in amazing x-men. It's pretty great.

Nilbop
Jun 5, 2004

Looks like someone forgot his hardhat...

Mr Hootington posted:

They can just say Reed brought him back at literally any point they like.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Nilbop posted:

They can just say Reed brought him back at literally any point they like.

I am Uatu's brother, Uatu. We are exactly alike in every fashion. Since he died, I decided to take over. Please never reference again that I am a different person, just like you do with Nick Fury Jr.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

I'm reading it on Marvel Unlimited so I'm six months behind, but there's been multiple arcs now and I don't think I like Jason Aaron on Doctor Strange. I like his Thor, I liked his Wolverine and the X-Men, but his Doctor Strange feels off to me, and I'm not sure why.

I'm going to keep reading it for Bachalo's art though. I liked him a bit before but he's really impressive on Dr. Strange, it's like a cartoony version of Bill Sienkiewicz

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Well you’re probably almost done because he’s been off that book for a while now.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Well you’re probably almost done because he’s been off that book for a while now.

Who's off the book? Aaron or Bachelo?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Both actually. Their last issue was #20.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

X-O posted:

Both actually.

Is it cancelled or did they give it a new team?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hopeless was on through the Secret Empire tie-ins. I didn’t read them. John Barber is on it now and in Legacy. I’ve liked his two issues so far. The artist the last issue was someone I wasn’t familiar with but I really liked their work. Name is Niko Henrichon. The issue before that had a lot of artists as it was an oversized issue. I hope Niko is on the Legacy issues too but I’m not sure.

Edit: Actually Donny Cates and Gabriel Walta are the Legacy team so that’s even better!

X-O fucked around with this message at 09:21 on Oct 26, 2017

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Yeah. Walta is pretty okay consolation.

That's the guy from Vision, FYI.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Didn't Uatu have a kid like two months before anyway?

I'd like to see Fury-Watcher put to any kind of use before:

Zoro posted:

I am Uatu's brother son, Uatu. We are exactly alike in every fashion. Since he died, I decided to take over. Please never reference again that I am a different person, just like you do with Nick Fury Jr.

Jedi
Feb 27, 2002

Zoro posted:

As if this is the most far fetched thing that's ever happened in X-Men. Have you met Gabriel Summers?

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

Scott Lang is a cool addition to Guardians of the Galaxy. Kinda wish they somehow found a way to believably write Man-Thing in there too.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Man-Thing is too good for 2017.

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

I miss Man Thing's brief gimmick of talking and having everyone around him hear his accent/speech patterns differently.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I miss Steve Gerber.

rantmo
Jul 30, 2003

A smile better suits a hero

Jedi posted:

As if this is the most far fetched thing that's ever happened in X-Men. Have you met Gabriel Summers?

We don't talk about Gabriel. No one wants to talk about him, the usurper who took the seat of lost Summers brother that rightfully belongs to Adam X the X-Treme.

Also, Blue Marvel has Uatu's kid, or did when last we saw it. I'm surprised Ewing didn't do anything with that in Ultimates.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

frodnonnag
Aug 13, 2007

Roth posted:

Scott Lang is a cool addition to Guardians of the Galaxy. Kinda wish they somehow found a way to believably write Man-Thing in there too.

I thought they basically ditched both of them on earth before leaving.

• Locked thread