Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

SuperKlaus posted:

The kid "starts talking like a drunk sailor" but what we see is "foreigner." Is there a particularly derogatory term for "foreigner" in Korean? We see the term come up a lot in MFAC of course and I'm kind of curious how Korean words for "foreigner" compare to like gweilo and gaijin.

The actual term used was "drunken old man" but I thought that sounded weird in English (no stereotype of old drunkards in this culture) so I went with the closest substitute, forgetting that "drunken sailor" contains implications of being a potty mouth. The word foreigner is not considered a slur, just kind of rude in second person speech. I use it in first person speech all the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

BigglesSWE posted:

I took one of them. They truly are wonderous.

Glad! All credit to Jerry Van Amerongen :)

Ballard Street

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The Great Sandy Desert is an actual place. It's big. And sandy.

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean
I can't make any sense of this one.

The way characters in Dick Tracy are always using each other's names so that we'll know who they are is really starting to annoy me. Especially when I know that they're most likely going to be completely unimportant and disappear forever within a few months.

Mister Mind posted:

I was so distracted by what a lovely Mario that was, that I didn't even notice.
Is that who that one was supposed to be? I thought it could be, but it seemed so bad that I thought it must be some other character I wasn't familiar with who just looks similar.

Pastry of the Year posted:

Garfield Classic (March 16, 1986)
What is going on in that title panel?

Am I reading this wrong or is Lynn complaining that her kids aren't grateful enough for her doing the bare minimum of providing for them?

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Tiggum posted:

Am I reading this wrong or is Lynn complaining that her kids aren't grateful enough for her doing the bare minimum of providing for them?
This is Lynn. She's also complained that the kids didn't consider boring back to school stuff "buying something for them" and that they wanted her around even if they didn't have a specific reason they could articulate.

She really doesn't like her kids much.

dismas
Jul 31, 2008

Tiggum posted:

I can't make any sense of this one.

I believe it means he was briefly recruited by the Arizona Cardinals (as a player? a coach?)

But it doesn't really make sense. I call the St Louis Cardinals the cards, not the football team.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

jfc

Tiggum posted:

What is going on in that title panel?
Wrestling.

ukonvasara
Aug 16, 2012

a mixture of gravity and waggery

dismas posted:

I believe it means he was briefly recruited by the Arizona Cardinals (as a player? a coach?)

But it doesn't really make sense. I call the St Louis Cardinals the cards, not the football team.

Yeah, "cup of coffee" usually refers to a very brief stint in whatever the relevant professional league is (as a player). It's not that uncommon to call the Arizona Cardinals "the Cards", either.

My favorite part of this strip is that it continues to deepen the inherent despair of Funky Winkerbean's world from "everyone is still in the same lovely Ohio town where they went to high school" to "they also tried really hard to escape but failed"!

readingatwork posted:

CB fighting back is the kind of thing you just don't see after 1960 or so which is too bad.

1960 on is basically "the learned helplessness years".

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

dismas posted:

The football team were the St. Louis Cardinals too, up until 1987.

Not sure what vintage of Cards the comic is supposed to be referencing, but the timing could work, I suppose.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Viivi & Wagner

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

Strontium posted:

Intelligent Life

please stop

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Heathcliff

Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane (not an edit)

:jerkbag:

Pibgorn

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Dustin

lmao so true

has anyone else noticed that wives are always nagging

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Nancy

Mandrake

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (March 17-18, 2006)

Arlo and Janis Classic (March 18, 1996)

Garfield Classic (March 17-18, 1986)

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Pros and Cons

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Selachian posted:

Rhymes with Orange

The cube root of 15 is not 5.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
That's division though.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

His Divine Shadow posted:

That's division though.

Well, that would make the answer correct, but I've never seen division written that way before. :shrug:

someone awful.
Sep 7, 2007

That's how I was taught to do division as a kid, with the answer above the line atop the dividend

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I've never seen long division written like that either. It's the line under the three that seems out of place.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

that ghost in the last panel is cute as gently caress.

Laputanmachine
Oct 31, 2010

by Smythe

The Bloop posted:

I've never seen long division written like that either. It's the line under the three that seems out of place.

That's an older style. I, too, was taught that without the line under there, but it was a thing some years prior.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

I'm just now realizing that the cats costume is a taco.

He's a taco cat. :3:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

It reminds me of the Hyperbole and a Half lady. :3:

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
King Aroo (May 21, 1952)

Wash Tubbs (March 7, 1930)

Gasoline Alley (April 3, 1924)

Lil' Abner (December 3, 1937)

treasureplane
Jul 12, 2008

throwing darts in lovers' eyes, &c.
Barney Google (April 6, 1923)

Alley Oop (July 6, 1934)

Oaky Doaks (July 2, 1935)

Dickie Dare (August 15, 1933)

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Today's Garf

Zippy

Ripley's

plainswalker75
Feb 22, 2003

Pigs are smarter than Bears, but they can't ride motorcycles
Hair Elf

Not true Ripley's! Its actual intention was to dickwave about being the tallest building in the world: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/26/realestate/26scapes.html

SuperKlaus
Oct 20, 2005

Fun Shoe
the bus

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

What is it about the bus I like? I never laugh. There's only one mute character.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

...and the pitch! posted:

What is it about the bus I like? I never laugh. There's only one mute character.

It is very very clever

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

treasureplane posted:

Wash Tubbs (March 7, 1930)

So I guess Wash and Easy drowned, being in an open cargo hold.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
Flash Gordon

2003 Spiderman

The Amazing Mole Man

Nancy

just bob
Sep 6, 2017

by Reene

I hope she intentionally left it looking shabby.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Oh my God, it's just a rubber spider, will you lighten up? You write comics for a living, for God's sake.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

It's surprising to see the Gilchrists using current (at the time) pop culture references, rather than decades old musicians.

WindyMan
Mar 21, 2002

Respect the power of the wind

...and the pitch! posted:

It's a comic that relies a lot on The Meta. Any one strip is hit-or-miss, but the overall concept of a comic strip about a Bus and how that concept gets applied and warped and twisted and turned on its head in so many ways is what's so great about it. Imagine someone drawing the classic comic strip trope of "guy stranded on an island with one palm tree" every single day for a year, but the artist is so loving clever about subverting the trope and mixing it up on a daily basis that by the end of the year you are ten times more impressed at the artist for the feat than you are bored by seeing the same concept in a strip every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Aardmania posted:

9 Chickweed Lane (not an edit)

:jerkbag:
What the gently caress, Brooke.

Calaveron posted:

It is very very clever
The art is real good too.

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I assume Zak is making a comeback. He must be a maniac to again try this dating track.

The Phantom

Holy poo poo that's a ton of meat.

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Christ, Buck must be paying his lawyer a shitton considering how he's calling him every other day for something or other.

Apartment 3-G

BC

Phoebe and her Unicorn

Baldo

Wizard of Id

Sky sure is white tonight.

Big Nate

Curtis

Baby Blues

• Locked thread