Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

feedmyleg posted:

I disagree. Minimal silhouettes are the laziest possible thing. I mean, just look at the Flash one, the silhouette isn't even iconic. He just looks like a big red blob.

To be fair, those were designed as animated posters

https://twitter.com/fukujang0627/status/922655426629398528

https://twitter.com/fukujang0627/status/922655884005720064

https://twitter.com/fukujang0627/status/922656270212939777

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

It's not an iconic silhouette if you need to throw in colour and symbols and familiar poses to let you know who it actually is. Batman does actually have a recognizable silhouette thanks to his cowl's ears and cape and his image is the only one that is a true silhouette, though it also cheats by using a very famous comic book cover of his.

Aquaman has a recognizable silhouette if he has his hook hand or holds his trident but I don't think the others do unless they are posed in a specific way. I suppose Flash does if he faces you and you can make out that he has the lightning/Hermes ornaments on the side of his head.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Teenage Fansub posted:

Everyone wondering why there'd be a documentary dedicated to Nightmare on Elm Street 2's lead actor. Watch Nightmare on Elm Street 2.
It's a very unique movie.

I participated in a Q&A with Mark Patton at last year's FlameCon in NYC and he was annoyingly elusive about answering any questions regarding the obvious gay themes of Nightmare on Elm Street 2. Hopefully this documentary is the reason why, and not that he's an aloof prick.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
He appeared in the Never Sleep Again documentary and talked about the gay subtext there. Donates all his earnings from the convention circuit to HIV/AIDS related causes.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

MacheteZombie posted:

He appeared in the Never Sleep Again documentary and talked about the gay subtext there. Donates all his earnings from the convention circuit to HIV/AIDS related causes.

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, I just found it beyond irritating that he was acting as though the gay subtext in ANOES 2 was just coincidental during a panel that was supposed to be exactly about that.

Now that I see he's been making a documentary, it would make sense if he was trying to keep a lot of what he wanted to say for the film.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

I'm not saying he's a bad guy, I just found it beyond irritating that he was acting as though the gay subtext in ANOES 2 was just coincidental during a panel that was supposed to be exactly about that.

Now that I see he's been making a documentary, it would make sense if he was trying to keep a lot of what he wanted to say for the film.

Yeah, I was going to say. It's pretty weird that he refused to discuss gay themes at a gay con.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Rough Lobster posted:

Totally forgot this was coming out. I love the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU

drat that's my second time seeing this trailer and I'm super fuckin' pumped for it.

rawillkill
Aug 15, 2009

Emma Watson is what runs trivia teams.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

dr_rat posted:

That sounds sort of amazing.

The first episode they put out is pretty great. There's a scene where he has an argument with a guy about whether or not time travel actually follows Timecop rules about not being able to touch your past self.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Rough Lobster posted:

Totally forgot this was coming out. I love the trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU

Frances McDormand cursing like a sailer will never be not funny to me.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

To be fair, those were designed as animated posters

Oof, even worse. No articulation whatsoever, no animation outside of individual elements moving around the page, no sense of fluidity. I get that the team was probably only given very limited assets to go off of, but this is amateur-level work. I hope an intern was tasked with making these.

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill
It certainly looks that way. Entry level AE animators could knock all those out in a half day

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Well, they are made in China.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
this is so loving good

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

feedmyleg posted:

Oof, even worse.

And yet still much better than any other Justice League posters.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

The Cameo posted:

This isn't hard to believe since he had stopped acting in the 90s because he fell in love with cobbling. That's actually what he was doing when Marty visited him to talk him into playing Bill the Butcher in Gangs of New York. I think he gave Marty a pair of shoes on that visit, too.

I think about that story time to time and always wonder if it was some elaborate prank or inside joke. The man simply loves cobbling shoes.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Someone should cast him as a doctor who cures all diseases.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Davros1 posted:

Someone should cast him as a doctor who cures all diseases.

That sentence really tripped me up because of your avatar.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I think about that story time to time and always wonder if it was some elaborate prank or inside joke. The man simply loves cobbling shoes.

I imagine he was in heaven going to Italy to shoot the movie.

Just out there, buying Italian leather for shoemaking purposes, just cobbling shoes in his free time, listening to... The Marshall Mathers LP? That's what he's said he was listening to in order to keep Bill's viciousness going, anyway.

Or he might have been too busy practicing cutting and cooking meat, because he learned to be a pretty good butcher, too.

He's such a delightfully bizarre human being in the most quaint ways.

I fully expect he'll show up to the Oscars for a lifetime achievement award one day and when someone asks him who he's wearing, he'll nonchalantly go, "oh, I made this."

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I also like the story about him listening to like wax recordings from the late 1800's to sound like an 2nd generation Californian for TWBB.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Try to find Superman on this poster.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 08:56 on Oct 26, 2017

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

The MSJ posted:

this is cool, i like this

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

The MSJ posted:

Assume I wasn't lazy and just posted the last panel.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

The MSJ posted:

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 12:05 on Oct 26, 2017

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

DrVenkman
Dec 28, 2005

I think he can hear you, Ray.

MikeJF posted:

They actually cut the entire end and big twist off the Golden Compass film so they could use it to open the sequel. It was filmed and apparently fully done with effects, it's in a bunch of trailers. So as it is, the movie just... stops.

Fortunately, the beeb is going to be remaking it as a miniseries instead.

Yep. New Line told Weitz that he would have to lose his ending to the film but he could use it as the jumping off point for the second. This was after Weitz had already left production at one point because they told him they wanted the religious aspect nixed. Then when they got desperate they called him back again anyway. As far as big-budget clusterfucks go, no one ever really talks about that one but they should.

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.

:golfclap:

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/DolbyCinema/status/923594593135886336

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What a pretty fan Cyborg is holding.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’m very excited to see the first official poster for Justice League. All these fan posters are neat, sure, but I want to see what a big studio like Warner Brothers can drum up for a poster to really get me excited for this film

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Alex Ross poster was good.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Using the bat symbol as an 'e' still makes me laugh.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

Using the bat symbol as an 'e' still makes me laugh.

Some intern gave themselves mad props for it

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
I can't emphasize enough how embarrassing the Justice League marketing has been. For a movie that 10 years ago would have been the film event of a decade this is dropping the ball in a ridiculous way. The newest ones look like fan-made posters aping Suicide Squad's campaign. A movie which, I might point out, had a larger opening than Justice League's projected opening.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

feedmyleg posted:

I can't emphasize enough how embarrassing the Justice League marketing has been. For a movie that 10 years ago would have been the film event of a decade this is dropping the ball in a ridiculous way. The newest ones look like fan-made posters aping Academy Award-winning film Suicide Squad's campaign. A movie which, I might point out, had a larger opening than Justice League's projected opening.

You missed an important point.

Stare-Out
Mar 11, 2010

Everything about this reeks of overmarketing, just throw a zillion trailers and posters out there for the most exposure possible to get the maximum amount of asses in the seats for opening weekend before all the reviews hit. Whether or not the movie sucks (it will) it doesn’t seem like the people behind it have much faith in it.

Gonna be fun watching the cast try and bullshit their way through all the interviews.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The big decider will be whether WB screens the movie for critics.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Darthemed posted:

What a pretty fan Cyborg is holding.

And it's a shame about Flash's broken arm

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Stare-Out posted:

Everything about this reeks of overmarketing, just throw a zillion trailers and posters out there for the most exposure possible to get the maximum amount of asses in the seats for opening weekend before all the reviews hit. Whether or not the movie sucks (it will) it doesn’t seem like the people behind it have much faith in it.

Gonna be fun watching the cast try and bullshit their way through all the interviews.

Isn't this every franchise movie?

People are shocked at "overmarketing" for a new movie because in this age of media saturation and fast turnarounds they forgot about the previous Big Thing.

The MSJ fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy
Is...is Cyborg gonna turn into a car? Is that's what's happening there? Or is that a lovely batmobile? I haven't seen ant of these DC movies yet. Maybe I should keep it that way.

...is Cyborg gonna turn into a batmobile?