Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
The secret to losing weight while drinking is just to make everything you drink a mixture of 75% hard liquor and 25% juice, and also to drink instead of eating.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

juice is really bad for you. You should do 100% liquor.

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Pick posted:

Every person, women particularly, I know who went on antidepressants gained an absolute poo poo ton of weight, to the point it's weird it's never mentioned as a side effect.Every single one.

One or two people isn't a big dataset :smug:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

a cyberpunk goose posted:

One or two people isn't a big dataset :smug:

What if they gained a LOT of weight?

a cyberpunk goose
May 21, 2007

Batterypowered7 posted:

What if they gained a LOT of weight?

almightyerin
Apr 16, 2007

The one the only. Accept no substitutes.
Some of those anti depressants are no joke. I took one in my early 20s that packed 87 pounds on me ridiculously fast. Thank god I was still young and had that young metabolism when I got off it so the weight went away fairly fast. You couldn't pay me to take any of that poo poo anymore.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

almightyerin posted:

Some of those anti depressants are no joke. I took one in my early 20s that packed 87 pounds on me ridiculously fast. Thank god I was still young and had that young metabolism when I got off it so the weight went away fairly fast. You couldn't pay me to take any of that poo poo anymore.

Fat and happy vs. skinny and suicidal. I'll stick to my antidepressants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Everyone loves a jolly fatty.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Avenging_Mikon posted:

Fat and happy vs. skinny and suicidal. I'll stick to my antidepressants.

Same, except the exact opposite.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Pick posted:

Same, except the exact opposite.

That’s healthy.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

fruit on the bottom posted:

That’s healthy.

literally

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

That’s healthy.

I only gained 20 pounds on mine before I loving threw them all in the trash around that I would never take medication again.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I'm fat but without the sadbrains

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Pro strat: be fat and happy, mentally gaslight yourself into being attracted to other fat and happy people.

All about that fan n' happy lifestyle.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!

Pick posted:

Every person, women particularly, I know who went on antidepressants gained an absolute poo poo ton of weight, to the point it's weird it's never mentioned as a side effect.Every single one.

welbutrin does the opposite apparently, I went from around 155 at 5'11" to like 130 in around 6 weeks? chemicals are weird

LimburgLimbo
Feb 10, 2008
+1 for the to hell with anti-depressants crowd.

I know some people are so sadbrains they really really need it, but it’s definitely overprescribed these days. Working out a lot, or just breaking their self-destructive cycles, will help a lot of people as much as antidepressants.

I chucked the anti-depressants after high school and dropped from around 100kg to around 75-80kg and then picked up rugby and weightlifting and am back to 110kg but this time a bunch of it is muscle and my life is pretty cool.

Tl;dr lift weights and scrum with big sweaty men to make you happy

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider

I think you might be the only one who got me.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Chomp8645 posted:

Pro strat: be fat and happy, mentally gaslight yourself into being attracted to other fat and happy people.

All about that fan n' happy lifestyle.

Sometimes you just gotta go with the classics:

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

LimburgLimbo posted:

Tl;dr lift weights and scrum with big sweaty men to make you happy

First of all, that would just make me bulky. Second of all, that's really just another form of chemical assistance; if you need to be distracted by activity and company to be happy, maybe you need to work on yourself, not just your body.

this is what some people actually say

PHIZ KALIFA
Dec 21, 2011

#mood

LimburgLimbo posted:

I know some people are so sadbrains they really really need it, but it’s definitely overprescribed these days. Working out a lot, or just breaking their self-destructive cycles, will help a lot of people as much as antidepressants.

I want to address this for a hot second, not specifically targeted at you Limbo, but at this idea in general. I'm not attacking you, your journey, or your experience, but I see a lot of neurotypical people echoing this same thought without the perspective of living through it:

While this post is correct, "working out" and "breaking self-destructive cycles" are fairly difficult goals period, even to someone given every single advantage life has to offer. Some folks might need medicine to even get to the point where they can recognize self-destruction or muster up the self-confidence to start working out. Working out is more successful than antidepressant therapy alone, but they work together even better. The idea that medication is the end-all be-all is, obviously, big pharma bullshit, but just because big pharma is bullshit doesn't mean that medicines can't work wonders in the right application.

Think about being stuck at the bottom of a well. Some wells are too small to dig yourself out of. Some have loose stonework and plenty of handholds. If you get wedged upside down, you might not even realize you're in a well at all. Maybe you've injured yourself in the fall, and that makes climbing out difficult. You know that, on the surface, there's medicine and first aid for your injuries, but you've got to get to that help first. Even someone handing you a ladder can't account for how your injuries are going to impact your climb up. There are an uncountable number of ways to fall down an uncountable number of holes and that's still just a fraction of the complexity involved in addressing the intersections of trauma and mental illness.

America expects a fairly ludicrous amount of initiative and self-starting from our most troubled groups. It's kind of lovely.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

welbutrin does the opposite apparently, I went from around 155 at 5'11" to like 130 in around 6 weeks? chemicals are weird

Same and I’ve never had weight related side effects on any other ones.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

Biscuit Hider
Instead of handing over money to Big Pharma, have you tried buying more cats?

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I want to address this for a hot second, not specifically targeted at you Limbo, but at this idea in general. I'm not attacking you, your journey, or your experience, but I see a lot of neurotypical people echoing this same thought without the perspective of living through it:

While this post is correct, "working out" and "breaking self-destructive cycles" are fairly difficult goals period, even to someone given every single advantage life has to offer. Some folks might need medicine to even get to the point where they can recognize self-destruction or muster up the self-confidence to start working out. Working out is more successful than antidepressant therapy alone, but they work together even better. The idea that medication is the end-all be-all is, obviously, big pharma bullshit, but just because big pharma is bullshit doesn't mean that medicines can't work wonders in the right application.

Think about being stuck at the bottom of a well. Some wells are too small to dig yourself out of. Some have loose stonework and plenty of handholds. If you get wedged upside down, you might not even realize you're in a well at all. Maybe you've injured yourself in the fall, and that makes climbing out difficult. You know that, on the surface, there's medicine and first aid for your injuries, but you've got to get to that help first. Even someone handing you a ladder can't account for how your injuries are going to impact your climb up. There are an uncountable number of ways to fall down an uncountable number of holes and that's still just a fraction of the complexity involved in addressing the intersections of trauma and mental illness.

America expects a fairly ludicrous amount of initiative and self-starting from our most troubled groups. It's kind of lovely.

I think the issue that Limbo was bringing up is that people are prescribed anti-depressants without a plan of how to get away from them, so they are essentially on them for life, instead of utilizing them as a first step so they can begin to tackle the root causes of their issues. There are a ton of people that can benefit from therapy but they are so far gone they NEED anti-depressants to even begin to start therapy, but the issue is going on the pills and never having a plan of action to actually resolve the problem and get away from the pills.

*edit* also some people might just have straight up broken brains and will always need pills, not sure if we've come to that conclusion yet scientifically or not, but I see it as a possibility.

MF_James fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 26, 2017

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

The average person who isn't well acquainted with the realities of mental illness, will see, instead of the benefits from increased tolerance and understanding, the downside of a growing culture of adversity to consequence and individual responsibility.

Sticking with the analogy game, when most people look at an issue where the pendulum has swung too far in one direction, they start pushing it back to the mean. Another group, who has never seen the pendulum from that other side, will more clearly understand what it might look like if the pendulum swings too far in the other direction, and start pushing back.

Nobody will stop pushing for a minute or walk around to the other side for their perspective to see where it should ultimately stop, because that would cede ground to the opposing force, so instead, people get positional, and dug in to protect the ground they've gained.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

PHIZ KALIFA posted:

I see a lot of neurotypical people

We prefer the term 'cisneural'.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Neurotypical is the stupidest word. Normal.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Pick posted:

I didn't usually have weight gain on meds (maybe because they'd usually tack Wellbutrin on, which sometimes actually causes loss). The one that made my weight explode was called Latuda (which my doctor assure me was 'weight neutral'). Slammed on a good 30 pounds in 3 months (plus when I went to my GP for 'why the gently caress am I still gaining weight, I go to the boxing gym 3-4 times a week', my cholesterol was insane). They have ads for Latuda on like, Hulu or another site like that, and I still get kinda huffy when, toward the end of the ad, the warnings sneak in 'in rare cases Latuda can cause weight gain and increase the cholesterol in your blood').

It gets mentioned as a side effect for anti-depressants, but, again they usually slip it in there after the 'worse ones' like muscle rigidity, difficulty swallowing, ataxia or poo poo like 'this can cause your liver or renal system to fail!'.

I'm unfortunately on the end of the sadbrains scale that I need to take medication, but with what I'm on now, at least the worst side effect I can get is 'potentially fatal rash'. Thanks, lovely brain chemistry! :v:

And I know someone that packed on a good 150 or so lbs on lithium or depakote (one of the older bipolar meds) they got into powerlifting and see the added bulk as an advantage, so ymmv.

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 17:50 on Oct 26, 2017

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

Pick posted:

I've been on tons of AD and lost up to 80lb while on them.

Also is mentioned as a side effect on most of them, dummy. They are total bullshit and have done no good for me in most regards, though. You gotta have some lucky rear end chemical situation for them to work it seems.

Faffel fucked around with this message at 17:57 on Oct 26, 2017

Doc Hawkins
Jun 15, 2010

Dashing? But I'm not even moving!

Instead of handing over money to Big Pharma, have you tried buying more catshorses?

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

Faffel posted:

I've been on tons of AD and lost up to 80lb while on them.

Also is mentioned as a side effect on most of them, dummy. They are total bullshit and have done no good for me in most regards, though. You gotta have some lucky rear end chemical situation for them to work it seems.
Look who you're responding to.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

My wife [40 F] of 17 years got an anonymous letter stating that I [43 M] have been cheating on her.Infidelity

quote:

Two weeks ago, my wife got a hand mailed letter with no return address stating that I was cheating on her with someone who is "young, hot, and fit". The letter was addressed to our house and spelled her name correctly. The author even knew how many kids we have. No specifics about the alleged person were given. The letter was typed on a word processor and printed out. Based on the envelope, the letter was mailed from our local postal zone.

Then, a week later, another much longer letter came with a lot of specifics, including the name of our daughter. It also named me by name. In the letter, it claimed that I had been having an affair with someone locally, possibly in our neighborhood, and that we were expecting a child to be born some time before Christmas.

None of this is remotely true. I have never cheated on my wife and never will. We have a great relationship, so this is coming out of the blue.

What's going on? Could it be some sort of sick Halloween prank? Or could it be someone trying to break us up?

tl;dr: Wife got false letters stating that I'm cheating on her. What could be happening?
The most White Suburban thing e ver

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

My (35f) am confused about rare, but unhealthy, behavior of newlywed husband (31m)

quote:

I (35f) was beyond happily married a few months ago to a generally great, mostly selfless, man who has taken my kids into his heart. He is very helpful, never controlling, often thoughtful.

About three months into our marriage I found he had been going on multiple dating sites and posting fake accounts and talking to girls on there. The pictures and profiles were not of him, or even the same location, but he did use the accounts on our wedding day and even sent a penis picture 13 days after we got married. I accidentally saw okcupid one day and then asked him if I could in-depth look through his history, cache, etc. This is how I found this out.

He also sent an old co-worker who he said he had a crush on, who is now in a burlesque troupe, an "innocent" compliment about her physical appearance while drinking at 3am one morning, etc. (This is very minor, I know).

A week ago I got very unsettled by some family drama and was pretty triggered and a little down. He was trying to help me, but was getting frustrated from my withdrawal, my anger and anxiety. At one pointed he took his closed fist and was jabbing my arm lightly, at first, but with each repeated jab, he was getting harder. He said I "kept poking him (jab) and poking him(jab) and poking him (jab)". He stopped when I said it hurt and I also started crying. I went to the bathroom and saw a red mark on my arm. He hugged me and said he was sorry for "poking" me.

He apologized profusely and seemed distressed enough that he stayed home from work the next day and stated it was never his intention to hurt me, just to poke me.

I said, after the dating site issue, we needed counseling. He called around and spoke to some marriage counselors, but none have so far had any available sliding scale fees that we can work with.

I'm just very confused. He's not the profile of an abuser. He always lets me look at his phone if I ask. He works very hard with the kids every day (makes their lunches, drives them to school, etc.). If I say I am hungry he offers to run to the store. He's a very sweet, considerate man, generally.

He has never had a serious relationship (or really any relationship or fling) before and would often fantasize by talking on the dating sites, to make things more "real" in his twenties (before we were together).

He gets upset or emotional and shamy and hides stuff, like the dating site, or a couple times when he would tell me he was at work, but spent the day home sleeping, I came home and found him (said he felt guilty not working due to money, but needed a break and has since told me any time he does stay home). He also has gotten upset before and called me a "oval office", etc.

I am sorry for being repetitive. I know we need counseling stat, but otherwise I am confused and don't know how to feel about this and would love some insight. We have been married for less then six months now.

Any thoughts? Any insights? I'm already feeling overwhelmed dealing with this and a very busy job and my two lovely kiddos, so I'd really appreciate helpful insights, but not criticism at this time.

tl;dr New husband has been physically aggressive and secretive within first several months of marriage. I am confused, because otherwise he is very thoughtful and helpful

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

LethalGeek posted:

My wife [40 F] of 17 years got an anonymous letter stating that I [43 M] have been cheating on her.Infidelity
The most White Suburban thing e ver

False flag. The wife is sending the letters herself and this is all a ploy to get him to open the relationship so she can sleep with her coworkers

Faffel
Dec 31, 2008

A bouncy little mouse!

I'm the innocent drunk 3am comment

Vargatron
Apr 19, 2008

MRAZZLE DAZZLE

I'm the OKCupid dick pic.

LethalGeek
Nov 4, 2009

The rare time the engineering student isn't being the rear end in a top hat.

My [24/M] girlfriend [23/F] is really gullible and it's starting to cause issues

quote:

My girlfriend and I have been together for about a year now. We're both Democrats (this is actually important) but I'm a bit more right-wing and have voted Republican in local elections. Because of this, I especially don't like the slander that gets thrown around by either side, as it takes away from the valid criticisms. We live in a very liberal area, so I see a lot of mud-slinging towards Republicans and even more right-leaning Democrats. As a right-leaning Democrat, this can be very frustrating.

I recently completed an engineering degree (also important), and my girlfriend is finishing up hers (also engineering), she's doing a minor in political science out of personal interest, and has made a lot of friends through her minor. To be honest, a lot of these friends are a bit ridiculous, I really hate to use this word, but they're the "SJW" types the right likes to make fun of, but to an extreme. Some of my girlfriend's political science professors are also very similar to her friends, and they all like to exaggerate a bit about right-of-centre opinions and people, especially Trump and Pence.

I don't like Trump. I'm sorry if you're a supporter, but I don't like him at all. However, when my girlfriend comes back from a class telling me that Trump is going to ban all non-white people from the country, or that Pence is going to have all gay people electrocuted, it gets on my nerves a bit. It's fine (not great, but fine) if she wants to believe those things, but she will accuse me of supporting Trump when I tell her those things aren't true. The worst it's ever gotten is when she got back from a class genuinely scared that Israel is controlling Trump, convincing him to create an anti-Muslim attitude in the US. Us both being Jewish with Israeli family, this was a bit offensive. She far too often starts arguments with me that get very heated, once she even told me that she was worried I'm becoming a racist because I "support Trump." When these arguments get intense it's really hard not to be upset.

I know the solution seems obvious; show her the proof that these things aren't true. However, when I try to do so, she starts telling me that her professors have PhDs and her friends are majoring in political science, and that as an engineer, I'm not qualified to say that these people are wrong. She talks about how her engineering professors and colleagues have never steered her wrong, so why would political science be any different?

I've thought about telling my girlfriend that she's being too gullible and that she needs to question things she hears, but I know that's condescending and rude. She holds education to such a high standard that no matter what, someone with a lot of formal education is the ultimate authority in their area of expertise.

So, relationship experts, I hope you're better at your area of expertise than my girlfriend's professors are. What should I do?

tl;dr: Gf and I are both anti-Trump Democrats, her wacky poli-sci professors and friends tell her lies about Trump and Republicans, she gets mad at me for defending Trump when I correct her.

Bored
Jul 26, 2007

Dude, ix-nay on the oice-vay.

Instead of handing over money to Big Pharma, have you tried buying more cats?

You don't need to buy cats, they will find you. At least, that's my experience.

(Adopting from a shelter or rescue group is cheaper, though.)

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Actually he sounds terrible

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Everyone is terrible.

Don't date them

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
Same with whatever happens to certain ladies taking certain birth control hormones. My wife's sister straight up ballooned after starting them at 19.