Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Toshimo posted:

Core WoW/Warcraft omissions:
Cairne/Baine Bloodhoof
Vol'jin
Anduin Wrynn
Gelbin Mekkatorque
Velen
Hemet Nesingwary

I don't see Maiev in this group.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
No naga sea witch, no sale

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

Dietrich posted:

Not attacking while moving in a moba was and still is a dumb fuckin idea

Having to choose between maximizing mobility or dps makes for more interesting gameplay that just clicking around randomly like a monkey while your hero shoots for you

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Kai Tave posted:

There is no way Overwatch fails in the way you're hoping and literally every Overwatch character will be added to HotS eventually.

Overwatch isn't even playable right now, the Mercy changes basically broke the entire competitive scene in half.

If they are going to add more Overwatch poo poo they need to start being more flexible in their kits. Tracer/Genji still make like, 1/2 the cast straight up unviable just by existing in a match.

Orange Crush Rush fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 26, 2017

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Overwatch isn't even playable right now, the Mercy changes basically broke the entire competitive scene in half.

Lol comp overwatch is bad anyway

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

Gustav posted:

Having to choose between maximizing mobility or dps makes for more interesting gameplay that just clicking around randomly like a monkey while your hero shoots for you

This is very similar in spirit to the argument that last hitting makes for more interesting gameplay than just soaking experience. I'd rather encourage the players to focus on positioning, cooldown management, dodging skill-shots and map awareness than having them spend brain cycles on stutter stepping in and out of counter attack range as the barrier to higher level play.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Junkrat's very different from OW, he plays almost opposite (he does sustained damage in this game, confusingly enough), so we're definitely making progress on that end.

Starting with D Va things started getting better in terms of being less literal.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

If they are going to add more Overwatch poo poo they need to start being more flexible in their kits. Tracer/Genji still make like, 1/2 the cast straight up unviable just by existing in a match.

lol this casual "plays" overwatch

It's a lootbox game, that's why it's successful

You have thousands of people paying real money for loot boxes every few weeks when an event rolls around, who cares if the competitive scene is broken

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Fried Watermelon posted:

You have thousands of people paying real money for loot boxes every few weeks when an event rolls around, who cares if the competitive scene is broken

I can't tell if you're acting like a oval office or just are one.

Blizzard does care about the competitive scene whether you are capable of admitting it or not. They are slow to roll out changes on the game as evidenced by how long they left original mercy the same.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

Fried Watermelon posted:

I mean as far as the bottom line goes, yeah Overwatch is literally a license to print money and thats never going away. But Blizzard did seem to want Overwatch to become the next big E-SPORT and pretty much everything at the top end is crashing and burning due to odd balance/design like whatever the gently caress they were thinking with this Mercy rework.

Also I hate the fact that Overwatch has taken a hold of HoTS so much I'm talking about it in the HoTS thread.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Dietrich posted:

This is very similar in spirit to the argument that last hitting makes for more interesting gameplay than just soaking experience. I'd rather encourage the players to focus on positioning, cooldown management, dodging skill-shots and map awareness than having them spend brain cycles on stutter stepping in and out of counter attack range as the barrier to higher level play.

Stutter stepping still slows you down though. For non-Overwatch heroes those autoattacks aren't free, you still have to stand still for a moment to make them. How many times have to died trying to get that one autoattack in while running away, or have someone get just outside ability range because you stutter stepped instead of just running after them?

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Dietrich posted:

Stutter stepping is not difficult and is almost entirely a question of how much dps you're willing to give up for more movement. This actually rewards good positioning more than perma-mobility because you get to attack more the less you have to move.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

Seebach posted:

I don't see Maiev in this group.

You never see Maiev until it's too late. :black101:

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I hope they never add Maiev because she'll encourage players to never stop chasing

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I hope they never add Maiev because she'll encourage players to never stop chasing

only Illidan though

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010

Part of me is kind of convinced they made the changes they did so that she'd fit easier in HotS.

Or at least on a whiteboard somewhere that was one of the reasons.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I think Auriel has proven that resurrection is not a mechanic the devs would actually like to have in this game.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Macaluso posted:

Lol comp overwatch is bad anyway

Good news, Mercy makes casual Overwatch just as insufferable. Eventually she'll find a way to make HotS demonstrably worse as well I'm sure.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Dietrich posted:

the whole game was made knowing there would be no last hitting, tracer was just added to sell copies of OW when it came out

not to mention at the time there was poo poo in the game balanced around soaking hits instead of damage, and they decided to add a character with a ridiculous attack speed

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

hawowanlawow posted:

the whole game was made knowing there would be no last hitting, tracer was just added to sell copies of OW when it came out

not to mention at the time there was poo poo in the game balanced around soaking hits instead of damage, and they decided to add a character with a ridiculous attack speed

Hell Block is still in the game and it's still pretty much useless against Tracer

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Pls don't take my block away from me, it's my favorite talent on my two favorite ladies... I'll accept it being useless sometimes and love it all the same.

Yukari
Feb 17, 2011

"That's going in the cringe reel for sure."

Wasn't block already useless against certain other heroes before Tracer existed? (ie Tassadar can strip them and so can Tychus?)

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Yeah I can't blame Tracer for this one.

Tracer's issues are mostly the mobility and the self-cleanse/escape, exacerbated by how easy it is to mitigate her atrocious sustain given how good supports are.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

also, chromie's temporal loop seems tailor loving made to counter tracer, but for some reason it cleanses off. dragon time magic should totally trump whatever trinket tracer uses

and it's pretty lame that junkrat's ult gets him out of temporal loop

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

So is Diablo considered a viable solo tank/warrior? I thought he was more of a bruiser type, where you'd still want a real main tank.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

At this point I'm pretty sure Diablo is the one you pick if you can't get Garrosh/Varain/ETC. If you can get one of those then stay the gently caress away from Diablo.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

New Muradin seems really good. His hotlogs score is mediocre but he's been a terror on the blue or red team every time I've seen him.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Seebach posted:

I can't tell if you're acting like a oval office or just are one.

Blizzard does care about the competitive scene whether you are capable of admitting it or not. They are slow to roll out changes on the game as evidenced by how long they left original mercy the same.

You are who you pretend to be

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

Diablo can solo tank in a pinch, he has good hp and sustain, but you have to play him pretty differently from how most people want to play him. If you Q in vs 5 people they either nuke you down or just run past you and slaughter your team.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Butcher just picked in HGC by MVPBlack in a Tracer-Butcher-Tyrael double support comp (typing that made me feel sick) They won, but were dramatically favored going in

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

MisterZimbu posted:

I say it every drat time but The Car from Rock 'n Roll Racing please

(but in all seriousness, at least an announcer pack; how do they not have a RnRR announcer pack yet)

Amen. To both points.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gustav posted:

Diablo can solo tank in a pinch, he has good hp and sustain, but you have to play him pretty differently from how most people want to play him. If you Q in vs 5 people they either nuke you down or just run past you and slaughter your team.

Yeah and this is exactly what kept happening. Like if someone bypasses Muradin/Jo/ETC/Garrosh/Anub you can pretty easily turn around and stun/toss/pull then off of your squishers. Diablo is out of luck unless he happens to be close enough to overpower them, or happens to have the right angle on his q to not just shove the red right into the person you're trying to peel for.

Seebach
Jul 14, 2012

its weird that I've been watching both overwatch and hots on Disney

(my secret wishes to have a hots or overwatch movie by disney pixar and blizzard sound more plausible every day)

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah and this is exactly what kept happening. Like if someone bypasses Muradin/Jo/ETC/Garrosh/Anub you can pretty easily turn around and stun/toss/pull then off of your squishers. Diablo is out of luck unless he happens to be close enough to overpower them, or happens to have the right angle on his q to not just shove the red right into the person you're trying to peel for.

Well you say "happens to", but being well positioned in relation to your and the enemy team is basically your one job as a solo tank.

Tibalt
May 14, 2017

What, drawn, and talk of peace! I hate the word, As I hate hell, all Montagues, and thee

Diablo is fine as a solo tank if your comp is able to self-peel decently. He's got the engagement ability your tank needs, and can peel if someone gets into trouble, but he's no ETC. Like, he wouldn't be my first choice but he's not solo tank Artanis either.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Gustav posted:

Well you say "happens to", but being well positioned in relation to your and the enemy team is basically your one job as a solo tank.

Haha, well yeah, just lost a few TL games because that was not happening. Like Diablo is a bit higher on the skill needed to be a solo tank, as opposed to others is what I meant.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Diabo, Stitches, Garrosh all seem to require a different playstyle where you take your time approaching an objective then start engagements by grabbing someone in a convenient position instead of having one group of 5 players walk into the other group of 5 players. Idk if this ever actually happens at any level of play, people seem really committed to their big brawls.

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Gustav posted:

I don't care what she looks like as long as she has all her iconic abilities, such as letting you rewatch the Wrathgate cutscene and... hmmm... stand on top of a big tower. What else does she do again? gently caress

Her card in Hearthstone actually has a really cool battlecry: “Set a player’s remaining health to 15.” It’s been a solid pick in plenty of burn decks because you can either use her offensively to strip the enemy’s health to burst range or defensively to give yourself a buffer of health when you’re in danger.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

That's a good point, that actually sounds like a very interesting ability in this game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Gustav posted:

I don't care what she looks like as long as she has all her iconic abilities, such as letting you rewatch the Wrathgate cutscene and... hmmm... stand on top of a big tower. What else does she do again? gently caress
Alexstrasza is the Life Binder, she's going to be some sort of support. Maybe a pseudo-support like Zarya.

---

They silently changed QM matchmaking with the hotfix. There can now be a bruiser like d.va or sonya on one team without the other team having one. It has happened to me four times since the hotfix at both on and off-peak hours. This is tolerable when it's otherwise an all assassin/all spec clown fiesta but is bullshit when there are supports.