Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

eighty-four merc
Dec 22, 2010

In 2020, we're going to make the end of Fight Club real.

Allyn posted:

Martha Marcy May Marlene

is this on streaming?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Jackie Brown remains Tarantino's best movie by far.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Steve Yun posted:

He said in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy. Otherwise, I would have recommended Chinatown

He also used "good films" and Big Daddy in the same sentence, so I figured he was flexible on the details.

enigmahfc
Oct 10, 2003

EFF TEE DUB!!
EFF TEE DUB!!
edit: NEVERMIND

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First ep of mindhunter was good but it took me a week to drag myself back. Second ep is pure gold and I'm pissed I have to work today and can't just binge the whole thing.

rngd in the womb
Oct 13, 2009

Yam Slacker
How many facial expressions does Holden Ford have? All kidding aside, Mindhunter was pretty great, but I think it has the worst intro ever. The jarring cuts makes me feel nauseous for some weird reason.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Baronash posted:

Any good films in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy, where people suddenly end up taking care of kids?

If you don't mind foreign language films, Instructions Not Included ('No se aceptan devoluciones' is the Spanish title) is a Mexican film about a playboy in Acapulco that is saddled with a baby after a former one night stand shows up on his doorstep and ditches the baby with him.

I first saw it on Netflix, but I'm not sure if it's still up there.

E: Raising Helen is a rather Hollywood take on it. It ain't great, but it follows the standard Hollywood formula

LadyPictureShow fucked around with this message at 19:36 on Oct 26, 2017

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

Baronash posted:

Any good films in the vein of No Reservations or Big Daddy, where people suddenly end up taking care of kids?

I've never seen it but there's a Katherine Heigl movie called Life As We Know It that fits at least part of the bill.

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

veni veni veni posted:

First ep of mindhunter was good but it took me a week to drag myself back. Second ep is pure gold and I'm pissed I have to work today and can't just binge the whole thing.

Mindhunter's greatest strength are probably the various interview sections, particularly the Edmund Kemper ones. Cameron Britton pulls of an incredible performance in that role, which is not only really interesting but also eerily close to the real thing. I just wish they'd skipped over everything related to Holden's personal life, those parts just drag like hell.

Anyway, a bit apropos of nothing, I only just noticed that Face/Off is available on Netflix and gave it another watch after having last seen it years ago. Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten how ludicrously fun this movie is. It's peak Cage in the best way and has no sense of restraint at all. It owns, go watch it. :allears:

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Perestroika posted:

Mindhunter's greatest strength are probably the various interview sections, particularly the Edmund Kemper ones. Cameron Britton pulls of an incredible performance in that role, which is not only really interesting but also eerily close to the real thing. I just wish they'd skipped over everything related to Holden's personal life, those parts just drag like hell.

Anyway, a bit apropos of nothing, I only just noticed that Face/Off is available on Netflix and gave it another watch after having last seen it years ago. Holy poo poo, I'd forgotten how ludicrously fun this movie is. It's peak Cage in the best way and has no sense of restraint at all. It owns, go watch it. :allears:

God, the fact Netflix wasn't jamming Face/off in my face is a sign that its algorithm doesn't know me for poo poo. That, Con Air, and The Rock are my jam.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Super Fan posted:

I’m kinda lukewarm on Jackie Brown but I’m not overly familiar with Blaxpotation movies

The only blaxploitation movie I've seen is Blacula, and I still think Jackie Brown is his best. The key to enjoying it is more about watching Grier and Forster's characters interacting.

Perestroika posted:

Face/Off is so extremely good, 5 headbanging priests out of 5.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
MIND HUNTER is amazing.

I started episode one last night. I'm almost on ep 7 this afternoon. drat. ABSOLUTELY binge-worthy. I should be done just in time for Stranger Things!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

US Netflix user here, and I'm not seeing Face/Off.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ugly In The Morning posted:

God, the fact Netflix wasn't jamming Face/off in my face is a sign that its algorithm doesn't know me for poo poo. That, Con Air, and The Rock are my jam.

I rewatched Con Air last year and it's legitimately a fantastic movie, it knows what it is and Malkovich owns the screen

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Franchescanado posted:

Well poo poo, seems like it might be limited to EU Netflix. Sorry, yanks. :saddowns:

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Perestroika posted:

Well poo poo, seems like it might be limited to EU Netflix. Sorry, yanks. :saddowns:

:argh: Always mention your country!

It's all good.

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.
Django Unchained is way more of a blaxploitation movie than Jackie Brown.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Franchescanado posted:

Don't sleep on Dog Eat Dog or The Trust

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

X-Ray Pecs posted:

The only blaxploitation movie I've seen is Blacula, and I still think Jackie Brown is his best. The key to enjoying it is more about watching Grier and Forster's characters interacting.

You need to see Coffy like now!

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
Face/Off is one of those movies you gotta just have on hand for when you're in that Face/Off kinda mood. It would be like not having salt in your kitchen.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
When I was a kid those two gold pistols were just the coolest

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Little late to the party but I saw the jim and andy trailer and I am so pumped, I saw man on the moon months ago and I'm glad it's finally getting resurfaced and the attention, it's criminal there's not even a blu-ray release of this.

MajorBonnet
May 28, 2009

How did I get here?

Super Fan posted:

When I was a kid those two gold pistols were are just the coolest

They always remind me of dual wielding pistols in Goldeneye 64.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Junior Jr. posted:

Little late to the party but I saw the jim and andy trailer and I am so pumped, I saw man on the moon months ago and I'm glad it's finally getting resurfaced and the attention, it's criminal there's not even a blu-ray release of this.

That movie does not hold up at all.

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
DAMMIT.

Just finished Mindhunter.

So is the unidentified creepy guy throughout all the intros the BTK killer?

Kinda pissed they just teased with that the entire season with JACK SQUAT to end with.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

magnificent7 posted:

DAMMIT.

Just finished Mindhunter.

So is the unidentified creepy guy throughout all the intros the BTK killer?

Kinda pissed they just teased with that the entire season with JACK SQUAT to end with.

Yes. And it's probably because that guy got caught because he trusted the cops saying the floppy disk he mailed in was untraceable, and had nothing to do with profiling

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

I'd say his worst is Kill Bill, I quite like Death Proof.

It's Kill Bill and it isn't even particularly close, but Jackie Brown is even farther out in the lead for his best.

Baronash posted:

All the Lone Wolf and Cub movies. I guess it's only a new situation in the first one but

magnificent7
Sep 22, 2005

THUNDERDOME LOSER
Stranger Things said ONE HOUR TO GO OMG an hour ago.

Apparently they were talking to the hippies in California.

Life is so unfair.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

Not to bring back the Tarantino train, but I just did rewatch Hateful and I had forgotten how much the part where he narrates and goes "and thats why I named this chapter Who Poisoned The Coffee" makes me want to kick him in the mouth until he dies.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Yes. And it's probably because that guy got caught because he trusted the cops saying the floppy disk he mailed in was untraceable, and had nothing to do with profiling

That actually has a lot to do with profiling.

Anyway, BTK wasn't caught until long after the time that Mindhunter covers, so that's probably the main reason. Although I haven't quite finished it yet, I assume there's no big time jump towards the end.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

does anyone go to screenings at Tarantino's theater, New Beverly Cinemas? I saw The Shining in 70mm there last october

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Basebf555 posted:

That actually has a lot to do with profiling.

Isn't the story that he basically asked a cop "hey can they track that kinda stuff from a floppy disk" and the cop instinctively told him "no, of course not!"

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Isn't the story that he basically asked a cop "hey can they track that kinda stuff from a floppy disk" and the cop instinctively told him "no, of course not!"

Nah, he asked them in the mail while he was publishing the manifesto and they took out a print ad saying it would be safe to send it in because it wasn't traceable. Profiling had nothing to do with it.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
If they took out a big print ad in a local newspaper, it was almost certainly suggested by a profiler, logic being that he would find that kind of attention irresistible. Still that's pretty funny.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

If they took out a big print ad in a local newspaper, it was almost certainly suggested by a profiler, logic being that he would find that kind of attention irresistible. Still that's pretty funny.

The problem is that a lot of this stuff was really, really not obvious to cops at the time of Douglas and Ressler's work, but now all these years later people assume it's all part of basic, normal police work. Well that's true, now, but it wasn't then. The cops carried on a correspondence with BTK for years, and the knowledge that had been gained via profiling work up to that point was a big contributor to how they gained his trust and eventually were able to fool him.

Profiling isn't like magic psych powers where you look at a lineup of suspects and just pick one out, it's just used as a guide for targeting the usual police techniques at the right place in the right way.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Well, how else do you respond to someone who doesn't give you a return address?

E:It wasn't a big print ad, either, it was in the classifieds. Turns out he asked them to place the response there.

Ugly In The Morning fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Oct 27, 2017

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Well, how else do you respond to someone who doesn't give you a return address?

Do you respond at all? Would telling someone who's obviously somewhat intelligent a lie potentially set him off and cause him to accelerate his schedule? Would it scare him off and make him go underground? Basic insights into his personality were really important to know what the best move was at that moment.

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

Kill Bill is Tarantinos best imo. Those fight dope fight sequences and score really elevate it for me. It's the perfect revenge movie. Jackie Brown is him at his most boring. Outside of the Pam Grier/ Forester stuff the story kinda chugs along at a boring pace. It's his only movie I don't have much desire to revisit.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Jackie Brown is the best

Hateful Eight is the worst. And by worst I mean bad. Not on a scale. Hateful Eight sucks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yaws
Oct 23, 2013

CelticPredator posted:

Jackie Brown is the best

The best at sucking maybe :smug: