Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I would be very surprised if 5150 were genuine world first contenders. They're fun team though and I hope they place well on the race chart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
This is day 3 right? yoship had predicted day three for world first before later changing his mind and saying "uh actually I looked at the latest version of the fight and if it gets to three week we will adjust it a bit"

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I have to imagine part of the mindset is understanding that knowing the mechanics doesn't at all mean a group can execute properly. I knew I was supposed to move when Sophia did her tilt stuff, and yet, I have fallen off many many times. I'm checking those clips and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Holyshoot posted:

are the people who might actually get a world first kill streaming? seems kind of weird to do as it could let other guilds use your strats. It's why the world first wow guilds never stream their progression.

that sounds really dumb and boring

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

SonicRulez posted:

I have to imagine part of the mindset is understanding that knowing the mechanics doesn't at all mean a group can execute properly. I knew I was supposed to move when Sophia did her tilt stuff, and yet, I have fallen off many many times. I'm checking those clips and I have no idea what the hell is going on.

Executions probably not much of a concern amongst the elitest players.
5150 took an half hour to discuss how to beat a mechanic earlier, then they got back to it and pulled it off quite well and are already quite decent at it.

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Augus posted:

It's as if the people who take videogames the most seriously are the most lame and least fun

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008
It’s like a job that you pay someone else to do. I’m happy to be a filthy casual still stuck on O3S that raids like a whopping 4 hours a week.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Augus posted:

If you want to be the best/first you do dumb and boring stuff. So basically are anger/elysium streaming? They're the ones I'd imagine would kill this first.

ArtIsResistance posted:

It's as if the people who take videogames the most seriously are the most lame and least fun

same but people who don't take them serious.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
They are streaming at twitch.tv/draynarr

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Farg posted:

:vince:

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Reminder that everyone has fun in different ways.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010
and the most lame least fun people are on both spectrum of video game playing.

Bleu
Jul 19, 2006

People haven't raided like how you're describing since C'thun trolled an entire population for literally months.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Augus posted:

ArtIsResistance posted:

There are plenty of people streaming if you feel a desire to feel smart and see something exciting, just not everyone.

The entire endgame community is looking at this fight, speculating on progress, salivating for every new 60 second twitch capture that shows some new ridiculous mechanic. The first group to get the clear are going to get major acclaim, and if what is current knowledge about the fight is any indication, it will be well earned.

World-first progression is something additional, almost separate, from the rest of the video game. It's a competition with your peers, a race, and you are not obligated to help the people you're racing against because you are racing against them.

Holyshoot
May 6, 2010

Bleu posted:

People haven't raided like how you're describing since C'thun trolled an entire population for literally months.

raided like how? if you mean care about world firsts and raid ungodly hours, they do it even more in wow now. And when they're done they have to re-clear the place 4 more times on alts because they have to class stack now and have 5-8 alts all at the same ilv as their main.

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Bleu posted:

The world first guilds in WoW definitely do some insanely boring retarded poo poo for even the slightest edge. It's just front loaded at the start of the expansion instead of an endless miserable existence like everything in vanilla WoW was.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
When does Chocobo Racing get fun? My fifth bird is somehow even worse than my fourth. :smith:

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

When does Chocobo Racing get fun? My fifth bird is somehow even worse than my fourth. :smith:

Never

hihifellow
Jun 17, 2005

seriously where the fuck did this genre come from

Farg posted:

lol

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

+1 for slev's reply

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I did it once on release and thought “that’s neat I guess” and then went back to doing things that progressed my character

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

it progressed my character to having fenrir long before it was super common

Momo the DRG from Delete Monk (I believe) is saying not to expect a Bahamut clear this week

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 26, 2017

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
https://twitter.com/FFXIVMomo/status/923555465606455297

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

In my quest to be less poo poo at this game when it comes to dps. With positionals, is the bonus applied from where the attack was initiated or where it lands?

I'm doing like 4k-4.2k on the normal 1.0, 2.0, 4.0 bosses as a 325 DRG with no food buff or potion usage, so I think I'm doing alright just trying to get the nuanced poo poo locked down at this point.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
Since there's a lot of interest/macabre curiosity about the fight in the thread, let's have a look at one of the Phase 3 clips that's been making the rounds. Starting at around 40 seconds into the clip, bahamut:
pre:
- Goes invincible and summons twintania and nael
- Teleports out-of bounds and rushes across the arena. Players must dodge the charge or die.
- During the charge, twister mines are laid down. If players cross each others' paths while dodging the divebomb, they will kill themselves
  - also, everyone around them
  - think tron lightcycle racing
- Immediately after the charge, a Megaflare aoe is laid down. Players must stay out of it while dodging the following mechanics.
- Nael smashes a big brick into the middle of the field, doing light damage and knockback.
- Immediately after the knockback, the "tower"-like circles on the edge of the arena explode and wipe the raid unless there is a player inside them.
  - there are 4 of them
    - with no indicator of which player should go to which tower
  - all on one side of the divebomb charge
  - half out-of bounds
    - stood one yalm too close to the center before the knockback? you missed the tower. everyone's dead.
    - stood one yalm too far from the center before the knockback? you got hit into the death wall. everyone's dead.
This takes place in the span of about 20 seconds. This combination is not particularly unusual in mechanical complexity for the fight. The fight is theorized to last approximately 20 minutes.

Reiterpallasch fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Oct 26, 2017

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Oh, okay. Guess I'll just suffer for eternity while grinding the millions of MGP I need to get all of the stuff I want.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Reiterpallasch posted:

Since there's a lot of interest/macabre curiosity about the fight in the thread, let's have a look at one of the Phase 3 clips that's been making the rounds. Starting at around 40 seconds into the clip, bahamut:

(madness)

This takes place in the span of about 20 seconds. This combination is not particularly unusual in mechanical complexity for the fight. The fight is theorized to last approximately 20 minutes.

Additional context:

The actual Bahamut fight is phase 3, with the first two phases being Twintania and Nael respectively, with their own mechanics dialled to 12 (thats right, we're going beyond 11) and hard enrage timers of 3min 30s and 3min per enemy. Presumably Bahamut will also have a hard enrage timer but, haha, no one is expecting to find out what it is for awhile.

This is trio attack #4 out of an expected five. To even see this you had to get past three other trio attacks, all entirely different, which are basically Twin, Nael, and Bahamut doing 1-3 of their mechanics each, simultaneously.

You may note in that video that Bahamut is at ~11.8 million hp remaining out of an initial ~13.5 million, so you get a sense of how early in the Bahamut phase this actually is.

At this point in the fight, one datamined enemy has not even made an appearance yet.

E: I understand how decimals work! :downs:

Meiteron fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 26, 2017

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Bolow posted:

In my quest to be less poo poo at this game when it comes to dps. With positionals, is the bonus applied from where the attack was initiated or where it lands?

I'm doing like 4k-4.2k on the normal 1.0, 2.0, 4.0 bosses as a 325 DRG with no food buff or potion usage, so I think I'm doing alright just trying to get the nuanced poo poo locked down at this point.

Initiates. So if you start on flank and end your animation at rear, it counts as flank.

Meiteron posted:

You may note in that video that Bahamut is at ~1.18 million hp remaining out of an initial ~1.35 million, so you get a sense of how early in the Bahamut phase this actually is.

13 million, not 1.35. They've gotten him to maybe 85% overall.

Also, a lot of these trio attacks have very simple solutions on paper, it's just that the execution is really hard.

One of them has you huddle Nael, then run to the three neurolinks for Twin's ultimate (one each for each tank, DPS all in one because of earth shaker) , and then you need to scatter immediately for nael's diving aoe on each player

Also, in regards to Bahamut's enrage, I would assume that if the fight is 20 minutes of YoshiP's stated estimated fight length, it's a good chunk of the 13 or so minutes because as soon as you transition to that phase, you get roughly 10 seconds between mechanics to actually attack him.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 26, 2017

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Meiteron posted:

At this point in the fight, one datamined enemy has not even made an appearance yet.

:dance: I hope this is what I think it is.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Oh, okay. Guess I'll just suffer for eternity while grinding the millions of MGP I need to get all of the stuff I want.

Don't forget there are +MGP FC buffs and squadron scrolls, as well as occasional MGP tokens from Wondrous Tales. These can add up to a healthy amount of funbux over time. There was at least one week you could get like 1.1 million MGP off a single WT book.

Thundarr fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Oct 26, 2017

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

PLD chat - i'm trying to max dps. How often should i be casting holy spirit outside of requiscat? Is there any place that lists relative stat weights.

Hyper Inferno
Jun 11, 2015
Watching 5150 work on it, I wouldn't be surprised if one of the "intended" strategies to do damage in the fight is to live on the edge and constantly heal critical hp for multiple melee lbs. I noticed that their LB gauge goes from empty after using tank lb3 to survive the transition to either 2/3rds of one bar or nearly completely full again depending on how they healed the pulses.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

I’ve got a SMN question.

For your dots, does contagion affect damage at the time of casting, or for the duration of contagion? So for example if I cast contagion, and apply the dots just before it expires, do the dots do extra 10% damage for their full 30 second duration?

And if that is how it works, and I cast bane, do the additional mobs also take 10% damage? Or just the one that I actually put contagion on?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Ainsley McTree posted:

I’ve got a SMN question.

For your dots, does contagion affect damage at the time of casting, or for the duration of contagion? So for example if I cast contagion, and apply the dots just before it expires, do the dots do extra 10% damage for their full 30 second duration?

And if that is how it works, and I cast bane, do the additional mobs also take 10% damage? Or just the one that I actually put contagion on?

It's at the time of casting. I'm pretty sure Bane doesn't spread it though.

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

ImpAtom posted:

It's at the time of casting. I'm pretty sure Bane doesn't spread it though.

It would be a lot to ask for I suppose. Thanks for the answer!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

youre going to use those items maybe a dozen times, probably less if you're going for a bunch of them. dont do lovely grinds

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Do your daily cactpot, chase those 123s and 789s, and otherwise forget about it imo

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Also go downstairs once a week and play the 1.0 logging game 3 times to knock out the minigame challenges for a couple thousand MGP.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ainsley McTree posted:

Do your daily cactpot, chase those 123s and 789s, and otherwise forget about it imo

it's as easy as making a Y (rotate it depending on your starting square).

with a Y shape you should be able to tell if 123 is possible. if it isn't, check to see if 789 is. if neither are, it's a worthless card so who cares.

as for the rewards, mounts are cool, don't save up for the cloud card or the other expensive triad cards. triple triad sucks in this game.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Thundarr posted:

Don't forget there are +MGP FC buffs and squadron scrolls, as well as occasional MGP tokens from Wondrous Tales. These can add up to a healthy amount of funbux over time. There was at least one week you could get like 1.1 million MGP off a single WT book.

I forgot that those buffs have been sitting in my inventory this whole time.

Thanks for reminding me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

homeless snail posted:

Also go downstairs once a week and play the 1.0 logging game 3 times to knock out the minigame challenges for a couple thousand MGP.

The Verminion challenge log thing gives 10k and does not care at all if you win or lose. You can go, sign up for a match, get into it, and just AFK until you lose while you tab out and look at something else. Repeat twice and you have a nice little amount of MGP for next to no effort.