Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
I always thought A2's cloak-into-glowing-red-glide dodge animation looked like it should have fancier mechanics than it does.

EDIT: I think it's traditional to say "update at the end of last page" here, but is it really necessary? Does anyone not use the "jump to unread posts" button? I've always wondered.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Well, I suppose the real trick to A2's dash is remembering it exists and don't keep spamming the dodge button like with 2B/9S

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe
Oh god, that horrible sphere machine made me twitch just from the screenshot.

gently caress that guy.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Mokinokaro posted:

Oh god, that horrible sphere machine made me twitch just from the screenshot.

gently caress that guy.

Gonna third this. Not an understatement.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

:siren: UPDATE ON PREVIOUS PAGE AT THE BOTTOM :siren:

That said gently caress that boss so much.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
The next boss is not only unfun, I think it's actively harmful to the game experience.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I thought it was fine

RubberLuffy
Mar 31, 2011
It's not a good boss but I didn't have any trouble with it.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
I love the A2/Pod 042 banter. Hell, I love that A2’s entire personality is “I hate everything but especially loving machines.”

After all the mindfucks so far, it’s nice to have a character who sticks with the basics.

Vauron
Aug 7, 2016

Take your stance
I will give you one fair chance
So let's make this dance a bloody masquerade

Sindai posted:

I always thought A2's cloak-into-glowing-red-glide dodge animation looked like it should have fancier mechanics than it does.

EDIT: I think it's traditional to say "update at the end of last page" here, but is it really necessary? Does anyone not use the "jump to unread posts" button? I've always wondered.

Well, that button is only available to people with an account, so people who haven't paid for an account have no choice in the matter.

Verant
Oct 20, 2012

Go on an adventure ordained by fate?
-->Okay.
-->Eh.
Throwing my support to the Next Boss Can Go Right To Hell faction. gently caress that centipede-ish bastard.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

Vauron posted:

Well, that button is only available to people with an account, so people who haven't paid for an account have no choice in the matter.

those people just have to click the OP because TDI has a "most recent update" link at the very top of the OP.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Did I miss how A2 was knocked out for two weeks ? Was it the eruption of the building ?

euphronius fucked around with this message at 21:22 on Oct 26, 2017

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Sindai posted:

You've never left a thread open in one tab without getting all the way to the bottom, then open up the same thread elsewhere later and have it jump you to the next page?

Happens to me all the drat time, what's the point of web 2.0 if SA can't update your last read post via ajax as you scroll down the page :argh:

Explosions
Apr 20, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

I mean, 9S is the lead protagonist of the game. What did you think 2B was the main character? Pfft. She’s died 2/3rds of the way through the plot and had like a quarter as much dialogue as 9S even when she was alive.

I believe it's been established that, if a side character is obviously better than the lead, Nier games will let you wish the lead out of existence and put the correct main character in their rightful place.

Let's all wish real hard and get the Emil Recettear-alike sim we deserve.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

euphronius posted:

Did I kiss how A2 was knocked out for two weeks ? Was it the eruption of the building ?

she likes her sleep

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Explosions posted:

Let's all wish real hard and get the Emil Recettear-alike sim we deserve.

Emil Recettear would be great. There'd be no active plot, you'd just be getting snippets of it as the protaganists of whatever currently-ongoing conflict rush back and forth through your shop and give you snippets about why the horizon is dissolving or giant man-eating babies are eating the next town over

In fact, that would literally be the perfect way to cover everything that's happened between Nier and Nier:A, imo :allears:

oh also:

quote:

Previously on NieR: Automata, what one would be lead to believe was the main character of the game given she was featured in 95% of promotional material.

This is missing like half a sentence

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
I’m actually real miffed 2B kinda dies a non-character

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

euphronius posted:

Did I miss how A2 was knocked out for two weeks ? Was it the eruption of the building ?

I think she murdered a bunch of things, then partied on some low-grade rocket fuel and crashed.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

A2's flash at the end of her dash does have a damage boost but only in a certain circumstance.

The added distance on her evade move is extremely fun to play with and for my money, makes her even more fun to play as than 2B. Doubly so when you max the stat out via chips.

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Oct 26, 2017

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
Increasing Dash Distance & speed to max via plugin chips makes A2 control like a racecar. It's great.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Chokes McGee posted:

still waiting for my caim plushie

I have a Kyuubey plushie.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015
I think the next boss has a neat idea, but ruined by the 'Platinum Games is still the worst at teaching people how to play their games, what the gently caress are y'all thinking' problem that all Platinum Games have.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
So A2 just murdered the Forest King because she felt like murdering robot babies? Not freeing him from the hell of only staring at the sky for centuries because his followers were stupid?

....yeah, that sounds about right.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Fabulousvillain posted:

I think the next boss has a neat idea, but ruined by the 'Platinum Games is still the worst at teaching people how to play their games, what the gently caress are y'all thinking' problem that all Platinum Games have.

I never worked out what the neat idea was, I just resorted to flailing at it and holding down pod attack while constantly guzzling healing items until it died.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

2b putting her memories in her sword as she died is a top video game moment

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice
I was going to say, "too bad the weapon story for her sword doesn't change to reflect this", but...it kinda always was about her from the beginning.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
I just wonder who 'didnt' pick A2 right away at this point

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

DeafNote posted:

yeah it seems like the right decision just for pacing purposes

FrankZP
Nov 11, 2015

AIGHT SHITBIRDS, IT'S EXPLOSION TIME!
Speaking of weapons... As Virtuous Contract changes hands, its former owner requests that its new owner take care of the future. Shortly afterwards, the wielder of Cruel Oath draws it in rage and speaks only of revenge.

That's definitely not by accident.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

DeafNote posted:

Surely there must be some way to figure this out from achievements. Picking A2 has to be pretty popular. It’s Bitchboi versus a completely mysterious new protagonist with 2B’s control scheme.

Fabulousvillain
May 2, 2015

Qwertycoatl posted:

I never worked out what the neat idea was, I just resorted to flailing at it and holding down pod attack while constantly guzzling healing items until it died.

It one neat idea dog pilled by several bad ones, so I don't blame you.

gbuchold
Oct 7, 2007

We feel free because we lack the very language to articulate our unfreedom.
Pillbug

FrankZP posted:

Speaking of weapons... As Virtuous Contract changes hands, its former owner requests that its new owner take care of the future. Shortly afterwards, the wielder of Cruel Oath draws it in rage and speaks only of revenge.

That's definitely not by accident.

There are a lot of parallel stories being told throughout Nier:Automata, some of which I didn't even notice when I was playing. Like this one:

Picayune posted:

Oh no, the little oil-bearing Stubby is still trying. :smith:

Considering how this seems to parallel Eve's story somewhat, this is a neat little way to put you on edge for whether 9S's story is about to start being parallel too. I wish I'd noticed it before.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

Oil-bearing stubby is one of my favorite bits of this game.

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Know Such Peace posted:

Surely there must be some way to figure this out from achievements. Picking A2 has to be pretty popular. It’s Bitchboi versus a completely mysterious new protagonist with 2B’s control scheme.

The problem with using progression achievements to gauge this is that anyone who plays through eventually gets them all. What we can know is how many people with incomplete playthroughs picked 9S first and haven't played as A2 yet:

That's approximately: no one.

The Dark Id
Aug 13, 2005

Why
you
know
I
LOVE
THIS SHIT !!!!
[citation needed]
Fixed the borked opening paragraph. Whoops. Don't edit together two drafts when you're in a rush to do real life poo poo. :v:

grancheater posted:

The problem with using progression achievements to gauge this is that anyone who plays through eventually gets them all. What we can know is how many people with incomplete playthroughs picked 9S first and haven't played as A2 yet:

That's approximately: no one.

Those two achievements are given like two minutes apart. The A2 one is from when she shows up to save 2B from the infected YoRHa soldiers. The 2B dies one is right after the title card. Achievements are dumb as hell.

Unrelated, if you're playing this game for yourself I'd suggest not loving around exploring as 9S if you decide to do his poo poo first. A2's events happen prior to 9S's stuff and you can easily wander into the aftermath of an area where some poo poo went down with A2 and spoil it as 9S.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

So A2 is basically Zero before she had the goal of killing her clone sisters and herself.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

Wrong series, but right character type.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Kavak posted:

So A2 is basically Zero before she had the goal of killing her clone sisters and herself.

more of a mixture of Kaine and Zero

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

The Dark Id posted:

Unrelated, if you're playing this game for yourself I'd suggest not loving around exploring as 9S if you decide to do his poo poo first. A2's events happen prior to 9S's stuff and you can easily wander into the aftermath of an area where some poo poo went down with A2 and spoil it as 9S.

Literally nobody in existence who's played this game has had this issue on their first playthrough, I wager.

• Locked thread