Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.
It was really hard in school because the campus ministry was pretty conservative but the Theology department was pretty liberal. I was highly involved in both, and I wouldn't be half the Christian I am today were it not for the guidance, care, and challenges I got from them. But it's like I told my advisor one day, I don't know if I'm a Hans Kung or a Joseph Ratzinger. I see people on social media calling Fr. James Martin a "dangerous" priest and I'm just like, what in the world are you talking about? I have people in my church who say that my beliefs literally amount to murder and others who say my beliefs are erroneous and that I am guilty of the sin of omission by not constantly telling certain people in my life that they are "leading a life of sin." I just hate that feeling that I am an imposter to my Church, that if people knew my thoughts I would find myself without a community. I know this is probably a neurosis that goes beyond theological differences, but whenever this topic comes up it opens the wound a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
ironically it's been people from "conservative" countries that have been the most chill with me, serbs (at church) and turks (in my social life). when ever i get poo poo it's from a white German, a Dutch person, or (in one case) the Swedish government.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I just hate that feeling that I am an imposter to my Church, that if people knew my thoughts I would find myself without a community. I know this is probably a neurosis that goes beyond theological differences, but whenever this topic comes up it opens the wound a bit.

I know it's often well-meaning but dishonest to say to someone that I know how they feel, but I really do think I can relate to this one.

I'm in a position of some publicity and responsibility in our parish and often in need of thinking how things in my life look. It's a fine line between maintaining an unnecessary facade and simply presenting a face that lets other people live without being bothered by my personal problems or shortcomings. I don't know if I'm expressing what I wish to communicate but I hope I get my meaning across. I'm fairly certain that everyone is an imposter to their Church and most would be without community if our thoughts and secrets were known. Scarily, God already knows it all. Thankfully, He did something about that and through Jesus every imposter gets to stay connected.

The wound keeps opening (I also have one that probably doesn't heal, related to how I struggle trusting that I'm allowed to fail though let's not get into that now) but it possibly helps that you remember that it's just the wound that amplifies the feeling.

Valiantman fucked around with this message at 08:53 on Oct 26, 2017

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

HEY GAIL posted:

or (in one case) the Swedish government.

Oh I gotta hear this!

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

Oh I gotta hear this!
i was banned from a commemorative event relating to the Battle of Luetzen two years ago. This is especially Ironic because it's you know. Sweden.

Tias
May 25, 2008

HEY GAIL posted:

i was banned from a commemorative event relating to the Battle of Luetzen. This is especially Ironic because it's you know. Sweden.

Yeah, they're like the non-stupid version of Denmark( DONT QUOTE ME), so I was surprised to hear it

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Tias posted:

the non-stupid version of Denmark( DONT QUOTE ME),
i kind of like the intra-Nordic slapfight, yall are like siblings

i have talked about this with forums poster my dad and our theory was that there are a few wealthy white self-satisfied countries whose inhabitants think they're so "advanced" already that they don't have to do anything personally.

The Dutch are the worst at this, a Dutch guy insulted me once to my face in Dutch--the little rear end in a top hat forgot that every word out of his mouth had a German cognate so I knew what he was saying.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

If it helps the English can be included. I know we don't get as much use in the 30 years war, but we are making up for it by being dickheads now!

Josef bugman fucked around with this message at 09:18 on Oct 26, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Josef bugman posted:

If it helps the English can be included. I know we don't get as much use in the 30 years war, but we are making up for it by being dickheads now!
the english and americans have the "shrieking idiots" demographic on lock, this isn't that. i'm talking about "complacent white blobs who don't know they're bigoted." it's quieter and outwardly more polite.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:26 on Oct 26, 2017

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

Unless I misread you, you tentacly thingies are seraphim, the saints and their quite normal stylings can be seen below.

My mistake.

Seraphim look like eldritch horrors.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

Re: this thread, I'd love to see if we got more new faces and opinions (!) in here. We're just as likely to end up an inane hugbox/echo chamber as everywhere else on the internet, so mixing it up is not only welcome, but vital if we want to keep this thread interesting imo. Otoh we've got here what is one of the probably extremely few places online where lgbt+ people with an interest in liturgical Christianity (or hell, just religion in general) can talk about stuff in peace. Therefore it is imperative that we - and that goes for *all* of us - talk to each other respectfully and with curiosity and open-mindedness for the experiences and thoughts for the others. This thread has failed in this regard before (unsurprisingly, since we're all human), and at times it even got somewhat toxic, and not just because "conservatives" or whatever decided to poo poo it up. I'm not lgbt, so I can't really speak for those who are (but then who can, really?), but I think we should strive to keep the tone civil and give a good answer when somebody wants to talk about the conflict between sexuality and church dogma with us in a proper and respectful tone - this thread can only suffer when one or both sides at the issue immediately go into FULL OUTRAGE mode for no reason. Though we also need to keep in mind that you cannot convince everyone of your beliefs, and in some or even many cases it's okay to go into a discussion with the knowledge that the best you will get out of it is an "agree to disagree". There will always be people with different opinions than you, and this alone doesn't constitute an insult.

So, for those that lament about the thread being "too lgbt driven" or whatever: be the change you want to see! Believe it or not, you can discuss liturgical rubrics/funny hats/monks with bears even with people you would strongly disagree with on other subjects! And to the rest of us: trying to keep this thread welcoming and interesting to others is definitely something we should all strive for. Peace :350:

(Little anecdote about how I absolutely don't want this thread to develop: just the other day I was checking my Facebook feed and in one of the Christian/liturgical groups I'm following someone posted about how their Episcopal parish saw its average attendance rise by 50% after they introduced traditional Anglo-Catholic liturgy. Everything was cool & good, but alas! they had made the capital mistake of not throwing their women servers out of the church along with everything else! And instead of simply congratulating them on a good decision or respectfully asking how they reconcile "traditional liturgy" with "women in a liturgical function", some people simply flipped their poo poo and hit the all caps button with the speed of light. One of them wouldn't shut up about "the oneness and fullness of traditional catholic liturgy and traditional catholic doctrine", and when he was asked how he (as a Lutheran) managed to reconcile his love for traditional liturgy with his church's position against transsubstantian or the apostolic succession, the answer was a heartfelt "mumble mumble... *logs off*" :v: But seriously, don't be like that dude, no matter what the issue at hand is)

Interesting facts tax: The Greek Orthodox Archbishops of Cyprus managed to invent and develop the tradition of the Byzantine Emperor Zeno granting them various "imperial privileges" as a reaction to Ottoman and Western European colonial forces occupying the island, both in order to assert themselves against the occupiers as the true representatives of the Cypriote people and to increase their standing with them. They still retain these privileges to this day and you can even find the old Zeno tale repeated on Wikipedia, which a part of me thinks is :krad:

Archbishop Chrysostomos II showcasing two of those three privileges

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

System Metternich posted:

their Episcopal parish saw its average attendance rise by 50% after they introduced traditional Anglo-Catholic liturgy.
Ironically but entirely unsurprisingly, the liturgies that were introduced to be more "accessible" are actually loved less, because the human mind craves ritual and a sense of something special in life

quote:

One of them wouldn't shut up about "the oneness and fullness of traditional catholic liturgy and traditional catholic doctrine", and when he was asked how he (as a Lutheran) managed to reconcile his love for traditional liturgy with his church's position against transsubstantian or the apostolic succession
Luther himself was pro-transubstantiation though. What happened?

Edit:

quote:

Otoh we've got here what is one of the probably extremely few places online where lgbt+ people with an interest in liturgical Christianity (or hell, just religion in general) can talk about stuff in peace.
Back when I was a tradcath, lots of tradcath blogs were run by gay men.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 09:53 on Oct 26, 2017

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

HEY GAIL posted:

Luther himself was pro-transubstantiation though. What happened?

As far as I know, many Lutherans still are. From what I've seen online, and you should take it with a grain of salt, obviously, they have to resort to using Catholic teaching on the validity of sacraments to mitigate the fact that the priest may not believe in transubstantiation while performing the sacrament.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Caufman posted:

My mistake.

Seraphim look like eldritch horrors.

Angels own, in general. It's assuring that the cuirass-wearing whiteys we see in modern art are an afterthought meant to conceal the fact that they look like loving wheel golems with millions of eyes whose faces are like lightning to behold :black101:

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
Today I learned a little about lakotaka -- thinking like a Lakota, a huge part of which is respecting elders. Turns out it's a good thing to shut up and listen when an older person wants to tell you a story. It might be meandering but anyone with decades more lived experience than you probably has some profound insights and you would do well to be patient and hear them out.

Paladinus posted:

As far as I know, many Lutherans still are. From what I've seen online, and you should take it with a grain of salt, obviously, they have to resort to using Catholic teaching on the validity of sacraments to mitigate the fact that the priest may not believe in transubstantiation while performing the sacrament.

Well, "official" Lutheran doctrine holds to consubstantiation which is different from transubstantiation because the Pope is a flatulent donkey or something. The consecrated bread and wine aren't literally, physically the blood and body of Christ but metaphysically they are indeed.

Basically Lutherans are down with the Real Presence, Christ exists in the Eucharist not just symbolically or metaphorically.

I dunno I'm bad at theology.

Valiantman
Jun 25, 2011

Ways to circumvent the Compact #6: Find a dreaming god and affect his dreams so that they become reality. Hey, it's not like it's you who's affecting the world. Blame the other guy for irresponsibly falling asleep.

Pellisworth posted:

Well, "official" Lutheran doctrine holds to consubstantiation which is different from transubstantiation because the Pope is a flatulent donkey or something. The consecrated bread and wine aren't literally, physically the blood and body of Christ but metaphysically they are indeed.

Basically Lutherans are down with the Real Presence, Christ exists in the Eucharist not just symbolically or metaphorically.

I dunno I'm bad at theology.

I don't know how badly I'm butchering the idea but I've always figured out that we Lutherans just say that Christ is really present in that bread and wine and that the details are not really important or even ultimately understandable by us.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Valiantman posted:

I don't know how badly I'm butchering the idea but I've always figured out that we Lutherans just say that Christ is really present in that bread and wine and that the details are not really important or even ultimately understandable by us.
This is what we say: that Communion really is the body and blood of Christ but when the Catholics made a teaching aid about how to talk about that into a dogma, that it was wrong.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Tias posted:

Angels own, in general. It's assuring that the cuirass-wearing whiteys we see in modern art are an afterthought meant to conceal the fact that they look like loving wheel golems with millions of eyes whose faces are like lightning to behold :black101:

I liked Christopher Lloyd, though. He was very disarming as an angel.

Re: this thread, I'd love to see if we got more new faces and opinions (!) in here. We're just as likely to end up an inane hugbox/echo chamber as everywhere else on the internet, so mixing it up is not only welcome, but vital if we want to keep this thread interesting imo. Otoh we've got here what is one of the probably extremely few places online where lgbt+ people with an interest in liturgical Christianity (or hell, just religion in general) can talk about stuff in peace. Therefore it is imperative that we - and that goes for *all* of us - talk to each other respectfully and with curiosity and open-mindedness for the experiences and thoughts for the others. This thread has failed in this regard before (unsurprisingly, since we're all human), and at times it even got somewhat toxic, and not just because "conservatives" or whatever decided to poo poo it up. I'm not lgbt, so I can't really speak for those who are (but then who can, really?), but I think we should strive to keep the tone civil and give a good answer when somebody wants to talk about the conflict between sexuality and church dogma with us in a proper and respectful tone - this thread can only suffer when one or both sides at the issue immediately go into FULL OUTRAGE mode for no reason. Though we also need to keep in mind that you cannot convince everyone of your beliefs, and in some or even many cases it's okay to go into a discussion with the knowledge that the best you will get out of it is an "agree to disagree". There will always be people with different opinions than you, and this alone doesn't constitute an insult.

So, for those that lament about the thread being "too lgbt driven" or whatever: be the change you want to see! Believe it or not, you can discuss liturgical rubrics/funny hats/monks with bears even with people you would strongly disagree with on other subjects! And to the rest of us: trying to keep this thread welcoming and interesting to others is definitely something we should all strive for. Peace :350:

This is indeed a special place, and so it's natural to want to protect it and to see it grow, or even make a difference.

I've joked about this, but I do seriously think about the disunity over sexual morality. As best as I can tell, there are sexually immoral things to do, and sexually immoral things that I do, but I honestly cannot say that I witness any deficiency in love if the only variable we're looking at is the genders of the partners. I am aware of what's written in our shared Christian scriptures, but I'm also aware that in those scriptures are stories of norms changing as the times and situation changes, all still under the plan of God.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

HEY GAIL posted:

I'm not a leftist, primarily because of internet leftists.

to be fair, "internet X" where X is any ideology are always loving awful

also as a student of the 30YW you should know better than to trust the perfidious swede

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

also pellisworth:

https://www.americamagazine.org/faith/2017/10/01/black-elk-lakota-medicine-man-turned-catholic-teacher-promoted-sainthood

Public Serpent
Oct 13, 2012
Buglord

StashAugustine posted:

you should know better than to trust the perfidious swede

My ears are burning!

Honestly hey gail kinda hit the nail on the head up there. I guess every culture has its own set of problems, "I can't be a bigot, I'm Swedish" is definitely a big one for us.

The Phlegmatist
Nov 24, 2003

Valiantman posted:

Yeah, Luther didn't have any doctrinal problems with a physical Real Presence in the Eucharist. What he did have a problem with was what he though was excessive veneration given to the Body and Blood of Christ by the Catholics. For example, only allowing the laity to drink the Blood of Christ with a fistula or not allowing them to receive it at all during Mass, or elevating the Body of Christ for an extended period of time after speaking the words of consecration (in the middle ages people used to fight over the best seats to watch the elevation and would bribe the priest in order to make him elevate it in the air longer.)

But he also defended Eucharistic Adoration and said that veneration of the Body and Blood of Christ was a matter of conscious for the believer; if you wanted to treat it with the greatest respect it was cool, and if you didn't that was also cool. As opposed to Catholics, who must always treat it with respect. Also note that Luther didn't believe that there was a certain point during Mass where the host actually became the Body of Christ (with Catholics this is always when the words of consecration are spoken.) In keeping with sola fide, Luther wanted to take power away from the clergy and keep focus away from any outward, physical signs of devotion towards the Eucharist even though Luther strongly believed in the Real Presence and had a very high view of the Eucharist himself.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I just hate that feeling that I am an imposter to my Church, that if people knew my thoughts I would find myself without a community. I know this is probably a neurosis that goes beyond theological differences, but whenever this topic comes up it opens the wound a bit.

I always have to bite my tongue in response to this sentiment, because, frankly, it's very familiar to me -- except that the only honest conclusion I could ever come to was that I was, in fact, an impostor, and needed to reconstruct my entire world view and disavow my old beliefs. But I don't know if that's really what someone in your position wants or needs to hear.

My circumstances were of course different from yours, and I spent years afterwards with a complex about whether I could trust my own conscience -- not because it disagreed with my old beliefs, but because it had once agreed with them. So at least I'm not suggesting that severing yourself from your beliefs makes the difficulty of wrestling with beliefs generally any easier; the struggle is about the same either way. :v:

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

docbeard posted:

Even decades removed from the place and people I grew up around, I still have this thing where when I first hear 'conservative', I don't always think of (what I consider to be) unpleasant political beliefs, I think of plain dress and horses and buggies. The Mennonites I grew up with and around were not of that particular bent, though I think my grandparents grew up that way. But I was familiar enough with it.

Of course from much of this thread's perspective, we Anabaptists aren't conservative at all; we're the ones who thought Martin Luther didn't go far enough!

I'm not sure there are any uniquely Mennonite teachings about either dead folk or about demons, except I'm pretty sure if one turned up they'd be put to work straight away, since that barn ain't gonna build itself.

Does your community feel exploited by the explosive rise of bonnet-ripper romance novels as a major genre in the last decade?

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

Does your community feel exploited by the explosive rise of bonnet-ripper romance novels as a major genre in the last decade?

They're waiting for the Pennsylvania Dutch translations before they pass judgement.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME
slimy hog, name your kid after chiune sugihara

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

I am a writer, a doctor, a nuclear physicist and a theoretical philosopher. But above all, I am a man, a hopelessly inquisitive man, just like you.

Valiantman posted:

I know it's often well-meaning but dishonest to say to someone that I know how they feel, but I really do think I can relate to this one.

I'm in a position of some publicity and responsibility in our parish and often in need of thinking how things in my life look. It's a fine line between maintaining an unnecessary facade and simply presenting a face that lets other people live without being bothered by my personal problems or shortcomings. I don't know if I'm expressing what I wish to communicate but I hope I get my meaning across. I'm fairly certain that everyone is an imposter to their Church and most would be without community if our thoughts and secrets were known. Scarily, God already knows it all. Thankfully, He did something about that and through Jesus every imposter gets to stay connected.

The wound keeps opening (I also have one that probably doesn't heal, related to how I struggle trusting that I'm allowed to fail though let's not get into that now) but it possibly helps that you remember that it's just the wound that amplifies the feeling.

Thank you for this.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

I always have to bite my tongue in response to this sentiment, because, frankly, it's very familiar to me -- except that the only honest conclusion I could ever come to was that I was, in fact, an impostor, and needed to reconstruct my entire world view and disavow my old beliefs. But I don't know if that's really what someone in your position wants or needs to hear.

My circumstances were of course different from yours, and I spent years afterwards with a complex about whether I could trust my own conscience -- not because it disagreed with my old beliefs, but because it had once agreed with them. So at least I'm not suggesting that severing yourself from your beliefs makes the difficulty of wrestling with beliefs generally any easier; the struggle is about the same either way. :v:

I should clarify, I do not feel like an imposter before God, the God of the Church. I should also have written church with a small "c" because I also do not feel like an imposter to the Tradition that has been handed to me. Rather, I feel (sometimes, not always) estranged from the folks sitting next to me, but to be honest that could just be a psychological problem.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

I should clarify, I do not feel like an imposter before God, the God of the Church. I should also have written church with a small "c" because I also do not feel like an imposter to the Tradition that has been handed to me. Rather, I feel (sometimes, not always) estranged from the folks sitting next to me, but to be honest that could just be a psychological problem.
I should think everyone feels at least somewhat estranged from everyone else--there's a wide diversity of opinions and life backgrounds in my home parish--and although I wish you'd convert to Orthodoxy, I think that's fine. Look at the miracle of tongues, after all, everyone from egyptians to scythians heard the apostles in their own language. And that was the beginning of the Church.

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

HEY GAIL posted:

I should think everyone feels at least somewhat estranged from everyone else--there's a wide diversity of opinions and life backgrounds in my home parish--and although I wish you'd convert to Orthodoxy, I think that's fine. Look at the miracle of tongues, after all, everyone from egyptians to scythians heard the apostles in their own language. And that was the beginning of the Church.

I appreciate you.

On a lighter note, in the most recent Code of Canon Law, if I did become Orthodox would that still be a canonical act of schism? I don't think that's apostasy.

System Metternich
Feb 28, 2010

But what did he mean by that?

We've got another entry in our popular series “weird Christianity-themed stuff“! Today: a 1950a medal depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary on top of a mushroom cloud!

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

We've got another entry in our popular series “weird Christianity-themed stuff“! Today: a 1950a medal depicting the Blessed Virgin Mary on top of a mushroom cloud!

What does the comma next to the Moon mean? Or is it O'Mary?

Slimy Hog
Apr 22, 2008

Paladinus posted:

What does the comma next to the Moon mean? Or is it O'Mary?

That's the Theotokos' madien name: Mary O'Mary

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Slimy Hog posted:

That's the Theotokos' madien name: Mary O'Mary

You jest but a friend of my from college has a little brother named Connor O'Connor.

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Valiantman posted:

I'm in a position of some publicity and responsibility in our parish and often in need of thinking how things in my life look. It's a fine line between maintaining an unnecessary facade and simply presenting a face that lets other people live without being bothered by my personal problems or shortcomings. I don't know if I'm expressing what I wish to communicate but I hope I get my meaning across.
I'm getting my PhD so I teach classes when I'm in the us. In most colleges in America, student feedback is extremely important, which means your life ends up riding on what a bunch of 18 year olds think about you. One day, I walked into class saying that today's discussion was going to be less energetic than usual because I hadn't slept the night before. When student feedback time rolled around, they graded me low because that was "unprofessional."

Tell them what you need to tell them, and no more. In Burke's treatment of the French Revolution, he says that he's a monarchist because the ritual throws a veil over human relationships, the brute realities of power.

HEY GUNS fucked around with this message at 01:04 on Oct 27, 2017

Numerical Anxiety
Sep 2, 2011

Hello.
I assume that this came from a student who was going to spend the entire period silently browsing facebook no matter how lively the discussion was?

Seriously, why course evaluations are deemed in any way a useful metric is beyond me. Deans might like high numbers and "excellence," but they used to be professors. And we all know that a decent percentage of class consists of entitled shits who will hate you forever for saying "no" just once. (Maybe that was just the university where I taught, but I suspect it isn't unique to that place.)

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Numerical Anxiety posted:

And we all know that a decent percentage of class consists of entitled shits who will hate you forever for saying "no" just once.
SO many young shits who whine and whine about how they have a B now and it'll ruin their grade point average and they will never know why and and and :qq:

On the other hand, there was a guy who got into Harvard for grad school, a young woman who had some sort of developmental disability and got help because I told her to go, and a guy who looked at me one day and said "I never knew people could look at books like this, until I talked to you." :unsmith:

Thirteen Orphans
Dec 2, 2012

Our university used to do course evaluations in class, still anonymous. The first year they changed it to an email that you completed at your leisure response rates plummeted, the vitriolic nature of the responses increased, and one of our female philosophy professors received an evaluation that graphically described how the student was going to rape her.

Thirteen Orphans fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 27, 2017

HEY GUNS
Oct 11, 2012

FOPTIMUS PRIME

Thirteen Orphans posted:

Our university used to do professor evaluations in class, still anonymous. The first year they changed it to an email that you completed at your leisure response rates plummeted, the vitriolic nature of the responses increased, and one of our female philosophy professors received an evaluation that graphically described how the student was going to rape her.
my ex roommate got the phrase "hot mami" and i got to explain that to an indian woman

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
I got a really bad evaluation from a student who cut her thumb open with a scalpel (after the class was told explicitly NOT to wash scalpels for that exact reason). She was mad that I sent her to the student health center to get stitches because I'm not a magician who can stop the bleeding from a scalpel wound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Worthleast
Nov 25, 2012

Possibly the only speedboat jumps I've planned

Wanna see student evals from the University of Paris at the height of Scholasticism.

• Locked thread