Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like goggles batman

I also like his line about not needing to recognize the world to save it. Coming from bats it's a decent verbalization of his emotional change.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

It evokes Nite Owl in Snyder's Watchmen.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

josh04 posted:

It evokes Nite Owl in Snyder's Watchmen.

"evoke" implies a thematic or nuanced similarity. the stupid shades are wholesale copy+pasted without any attempt to fit it properly onto the face

they're styled as if they're supposed to "evoke" gas station Oakley ripoffs.... on what planet does this look good?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I like them

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

I think you'll find that Guyver is the Japanese Venom. :colbert:

(Spider-Man got the symbiote suit in May 1984, Bio Booster Armor Guyver debuted Feb 1985.)

Spider-Man got the symbiote suit then, but Eddie Brock as Venom didn't properly appear until 1988 with ASM #300, and the Guyver comparison only really works for Brock.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
there is no way in hell this wasn't floated in pre production:

but nah, i saw these sick shades when the camera panned past the NASCAR crowd, we gotta have those in this film.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
That looks stupid. The goggles also look stupid. CGI Deadpool eyes would probably look better than either, but still kinda stupid.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

teagone posted:

Aquaman's screams are gonna be hilarious. That last one sounded like a Homer scream.

The CHEEEHOOOOOOOO has a proud a noble tradition :colbert:

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

bring back old gbs posted:

they're styled as if they're supposed to "evoke" gas station Oakley ripoffs.... on what planet does this look good?

Well, when Nite Owl wears them they have all the connotations that gas station Oakley rip-offs bring: he's a boring, middle class early retiree who gets off on having a souped-up car but isn't rich enough to buy real brand sunglasses.

For Batman, it's a departure from his BvS look, which was decidedly inhuman:

He's moved to looking like Nite Owl, probably because in a lineup of superhumans he's going to be struggling to keep up.

Notably, the shades are serve the practical purpose of covering up the eyebrows on his cowl, which are fixed in a permanent sneer:

The glowing blue eyes are used in both The Dark Knight and BvS to imply a Batman who has gone too far and is losing touch with his ethics. I know they were in everyone's favourite cartoon, but in real life they look really friggin' evil. They'd be a weird choice for a film where Batman is becoming a hero.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
So...cool poochie batman gets sweet shades and now he's all down with being a hero? Because otherwise his brows are scowling....except the glasses are a permanent V shape that accomplishes the exact thing its supposed to be covering up? I don't know about that... It's way more likely they were forced to be included by a hack who wanted to reference his previous work, to the detriment of the production.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

josh04 posted:

For Batman, it's a departure from his BvS look, which was decidedly inhuman:

The glowing blue eyes are used in both The Dark Knight and BvS to imply a Batman who has gone too far and is losing touch with his ethics.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I see more of Nolan's Batman than that.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

I raise you:

Also, I can't remember if someone here pointed it out or elsewhere, but the Bat-computer in The Dark Knight has the form of a comic strip/storyboard.

So...cool poochie batman gets sweet shades and now he's all down with being a hero? Because otherwise his brows are scowling....except the glasses are a permanent V shape that accomplishes the exact thing its supposed to be covering up? I don't know about that... It's way more likely they were forced to be included by a hack who wanted to reference his previous work, to the detriment of the production.

You could say a lot of things about this look, but it's certainly not intimidating:

:c00l:

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

You don't understand the Poochie episode.

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

mannnnn sunglasses batman looks so retarded

counterpoint: you are wrong.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

josh04 posted:

You could say a lot of things about this look, but it's certainly not intimidating:

That looks hilarious.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
You shouldn't drive while trying to watch more videos.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
sometimes it's more about how the shades make batman feel than you dude
can't he just be comfortable? his spook aspect is useless against those weird lil alien dudes anyway. they're already used to weird looking poo poo, they're not a bunch of fat cops

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Now that the DC movies are in color everything's too bright for Batman's sensitive eyes.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
*Batman enters the frame. Tactical baseball cap secured to his cowl spins around backwards. Combat mode.*

Me: whoa this bat man is relatable finally. you can tell he has regained his humanity

Punkin Spunkin posted:

sometimes it's more about how the shades make batman feel than you dude
can't he just be comfortable? his spook aspect is useless against those weird lil alien dudes anyway. they're already used to weird looking poo poo, they're not a bunch of fat cops
Ok I concede

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Of course, you know who else puts on a pair of goofy glasses when they're trying to feel more human.

(RIP)

josh04 fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 27, 2017

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
batman by justice league 2 should be a marriage of paramilitary tactical style and supreme comfort. gotta have somewhere to hold your beer
Clark is human (he fucks in bathtubs), now it's Batman's turn

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
As long as he throws crates into goons most of us in this thread will be happy.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
Maybe Batman put those on after telling the rest of the Justice League to Deal With It?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Batman's a motherfuckin' operator

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat
As much as I like red/blue lasers shooting into the sky I hope that The Batman is more of a grounded film without some world ending problem. If it's a prequel, and it's leading up the JL it can help to show why Batman's brain is broken, since he's used to dealing with street level gangs, and now he's suddenly fighting space aliens that fly.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
I hope it's 99% aliens and 1% giant lasers

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

josh04 posted:

Of course, you know who else puts on a pair of goofy glasses when they're trying to fell more human.

(RIP)

Feels like justice league is just a captain planet homage.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Punkin Spunkin posted:

I hope it's 99% aliens and 1% giant lasers

I hope the Joker takes control of 99 giant lasers and Batman has to make a Bat Rocket to get up there and stop the death beams.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

New Runaways trailer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rt9H5zEYCng

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Electromax posted:

I hope the Joker takes control of 99 giant lasers and Batman has to make a Bat Rocket to get up there and stop the death beams.

Meh they kinda already did that in the Batman Beyond movie.

Mr. Apollo
Nov 8, 2000

josh04 posted:

Of course, you know who else puts on a pair of goofy glasses when they're trying to fell more human.

(RIP)

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Meh they kinda already did that in the Batman Beyond movie.

Yet another movie that's better than BvS and only has like a 70 min runtime or something like that

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Hot drat!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I'm very tickled that badass Batman is, in fact, going to be the Hawkeye of the Justice League.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Jerk McJerkface posted:

As much as I like red/blue lasers shooting into the sky I hope that The Batman is more of a grounded film without some world ending problem. If it's a prequel, and it's leading up the JL it can help to show why Batman's brain is broken, since he's used to dealing with street level gangs, and now he's suddenly fighting space aliens that fly.

Nope.

Goons already know everything about these characters already and know their motivations. Seeing them portrayed on screen in ways that make sense is soooo boring.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

BiggerBoat posted:

Nope.

Goons already know everything about these characters already and know their motivations. Seeing them portrayed on screen in ways that make sense is soooo boring.

what

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

Yet another movie that's better than BvS and only has like a 70 min runtime or something like that

It's great but I'm not sure it works outside the context of the series as a standalone.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Al Borland Corp. posted:

It's great but I'm not sure it works outside the context of the series as a standalone.

So what you're saying is you just needs dozens of hours of setup to get to one good movie

Hmm sounds right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dr. Manhattan, a character who most certainly does not go too far or lose touch with ethics at any point in Watchmen

oh wait, the literal opposite of that is true and his whole arc is about him losing his humanity

• Locked thread