Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ALFbrot
Apr 17, 2002
I married into a family that loves A Christmas Story, having seen it maybe once sometime in my childhood. My wife isn't super super into it, but she likes it okay. Her parents make sure it's on every year, though.

They also will always stop and leave Forrest Gump on when it's on, so there's that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

ALFbrot posted:

I married into a family that loves A Christmas Story, having seen it maybe once sometime in my childhood. My wife isn't super super into it, but she likes it okay. Her parents make sure it's on every year, though.

They also will always stop and leave Forrest Gump on when it's on, so there's that.

If Crash didn't exist Forrest Gump would be the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
I love A Christmas Story and put the TBS marathon in the background every year. It's the must unapologetically honest depiction of what Christmas means to a kid. Nothing to do with religion, generosity, or any sentimentality. It's about doing all you can to get that awesome toy you're obsessed with.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
Thought this was a pretty good interview with the guy who runs the Ankler:

http://www.weeklystandard.com/the-ankler-interview-hollywood-is-dying-and-not-even-star-wars-can-save-it/article/2010165

quote:

The tone for the past five years or so has very much reminded me of the mood you'd get around newsrooms 15 years ago, when if newspaper people were told that no one under 40 was reading the papers, they'd just harumph that “It's about time someone explained to those whippersnappers how great newspapers actually are!” And I can see this all working out for the studios similar to how losing a couple generations of readers worked out for newspapers.

The studio upper echelons are controlled more or less by the same little club of executives who have run the movie studios since the mid-’90s, and more and more lately you see this haunted look in their eyes as they realize that the audience is no longer with them. “There arose up a new king over Egypt, which knew not Joseph.”

The only real king of Hollywood is the popcorn eaters we all work for and movies have ceased to be the first, second, or even third cultural force in their lives.

Given that, every other problem—changing technology, financing issues, the insane cost of making and marketing films—gets exacerbated. And in times of trouble, people fall back on what they know, which in this case is: bludgeon them over the head with something they've heard of and brute-force your way to an opening weekend. That kind of thinking has produced a world where it's now half a billion dollars to make and market some of these movies. Every one of these things can be a half a billion dollar bet on something you have no idea how it will turn out. So you go, bigger, safer, more predictable. Which makes the movies more irrelevant to people. And makes the cycle continue, infinitely.

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

If Crash didn't exist Forrest Gump would be the worst movie to ever win Best Picture.

So you’ve seen every Best Picture winner, huh?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Super Fan posted:

I've seen most of the ones made after I was born. I'm willing to concede that there are possibly other, worse films that also won Best Picture, but Forrest Gump is still a really terrible movie.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

The Hurt Locker sucks, it just sucked less than Avatar.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Super Fan posted:

Its not paritculalry hard to do with even a modicum of dedication.

And its arguably Greatest Show on Earth thats the weakest best picture winner but drat does it have a sumptuous amount of circus action.

Edit: I dont care for the Hamlet adaptation that won in 48 but thats personal taste since I dont really like Hamlet in general. Films fine.

Barudak fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Oct 26, 2017

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Wings sucks. It doesn't even have Timothy Daly

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Shakespeare in Love?

Also people have less money to go around these days, cant afford to go to theaters much

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Tars Tarkas posted:

DC announced a stand-alone Deathstroke movie, Joe Manganiello is still going to star as him despite his role in the The Batman movie and the Justice League movie apparently not happening any more. Why should you care? Because Gareth Evans will be the director!

https://www.thewrap.com/gareth-evans-dc-comics-deathstroke/

Isn't it common for these superhero movies to change directors out of nowhere and/or go through last minute reworking of large chunks of the movie due to corporate meddling? I can't see getting excited about a superhero movie just because of a director.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

BJPaskoff posted:

Isn't it common for these superhero movies to change directors out of nowhere and/or go through last minute reworking of large chunks of the movie due to corporate meddling? I can't see getting excited about a superhero movie just because of a director.

People get excited whenever Joss Whedon gets attached to something :shrug:

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Skwirl posted:

Nah. Forrest Gump is goofy and dumb and fun. It's a little too saccharine in places and a little too melodramatic in others, but it's got a lot of merit. It's just not a prestige picture and shouldn't have been sold as one.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Middlebrow movies should win more awards, as should low brow.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
Forrest Gump isn't terrible, I do think part of the appeal at the time was inserting Tom Hanks into historical moments, but it's more of a movie about time than anything else. It's basically a ~40 year slice of life

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
still waiting on the forrest gump sequel adaptation
hURRY HANKS

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

It’s a loveletter to boomers.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Powaqoatse posted:

Bingo. "Hey this literal Special Person lucked into a bunch of historical things. Don't you remember being part of them too? How magical you all are!"

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

FilthyImp posted:

Bingo. "Hey this literal Special Person lucked into a bunch of historical things. Don't you remember being part of them too? How magical you all are!"

It's also both racist and sexist as hell.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Skwirl posted:

It's also both racist and sexist as hell.

Powaqoatse posted:

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Skwirl posted:

I've seen most of the ones made after I was born. I'm willing to concede that there are possibly other, worse films that also won Best Picture, but Forrest Gump is still a really terrible movie.

So you’ve only seen a fraction of them, but Gump is still the worst of the best picture winners. C’mon man.

(the worst is Going My Way)

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Punkin Spunkin posted:

still waiting on the forrest gump sequel adaptation
hURRY HANKS

I would pay good money to see the incredibly awful book sequel made into an actual movie starring old man Tom Hanks.

I mean
- Gump becomes a janitor in a strip club
- Plays for the New Orleans Saints
- Invents New Coke
- Tries to solve the energy crisis with a pig poo poo plant
- Takes part in Iran-Contra
- Becomes a stock market millionaire
- Moves to Alaska and crashes the Exxon Valdez
- Kickstarts the destruction of the Berlin Wall with a literal punt
- Captures Saddam

Can you even imagine?

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

That's easy, just make it David S. Pumpkins' backstory

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Powaqoatse posted:

I think it was penismightier or HUNDU who said it's cinema's equivalent to "We Didn't Start the Fire."

Super Fan
Jul 16, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
We Didn’t Start the Fire is a great song. I don’t see a problem

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Going back to Best Pictures, I'd also say that Braveheart hasn't aged that well. Of course this is with the benefit of having experienced 2006 to present Mel Gibson.

I went through the list of winners and 1976 is the year of which I've seen the most of the winner and nominees. The only one I haven't seen was Bound for Glory.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Super Fan posted:

We Didn’t Start the Fire is a great song. I don’t see a problem

It gets all the hate It's the End of the World As We Know It oddly eschews.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Tars Tarkas posted:

That's easy, just make it David S. Pumpkins' backstory

Yeah, I just realized that was Hanks last night, I still have no idea what that is about or why it exists

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Iron Crowned posted:

Yeah, I just realized that was Hanks last night, I still have no idea what that is about or why it exists

It was an SNL skit from last year about this time that blew up.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

I love A Christmas Story

Yes. Every time I hear Peter and the wolf I laugh now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Big Mean Jerk posted:

I would pay good money to see the incredibly awful book sequel made into an actual movie starring old man Tom Hanks.

I mean
- Gump becomes a janitor in a strip club
- Plays for the New Orleans Saints
- Invents New Coke
- Tries to solve the energy crisis with a pig poo poo plant
- Takes part in Iran-Contra
- Becomes a stock market millionaire
- Moves to Alaska and crashes the Exxon Valdez
- Kickstarts the destruction of the Berlin Wall with a literal punt
- Captures Saddam

Can you even imagine?

It reads like the plot of Epic Movie or something.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

joylessdivision posted:

It was an SNL skit from last year about this time that blew up.
I watched it a few weeks ago and I still don’t get why that blew up

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

FlamingLiberal posted:

I can say the same about SNL viewership

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Casimir Radon posted:

Going back to Best Pictures, I'd also say that Braveheart hasn't aged that well. Of course this is with the benefit of having experienced 2006 to present Mel Gibson.

I went through the list of winners and 1976 is the year of which I've seen the most of the winner and nominees. The only one I haven't seen was Bound for Glory.

Art Carney winning Best Actor for Harry & Tonto set off a cascade of questionable Oscar snubs that continues to this day.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

FlamingLiberal posted:

Tom Hanks is apparently popular with millennials I guess? I thought it was kinda funny.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

The worst best picture winner is Crash. I'm surprised the question is even controversial.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

pospysyl posted:

The worst best picture winner is Crash. I'm surprised the question is even controversial.

The Great Zeigfield, How Green was My Valley, An American in Paris, and Annie Hall were all worse

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Annie Hall is bad, but it doesn't beat out Crash. Watching Crash is a completely embarrassing experience, but Annie Hall is just annoying and not funny. An American in Paris is mostly mediocre, but it does have the Gershwin score going for it. I haven't seen Zeigfield or How Green is my Valley, though, so I'll have to take your word for those.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

King’s Speech and Slumdog Millionaire are very overrated IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
They're all trash!

• Locked thread