Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

hosed up that orga ate all their food

You mean Biscuit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

Blaze Dragon posted:

She's a teenager like Mika, but malnutrition fucks with your growth.

:stare:

:smith:

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

ImpAtom posted:

You mean Biscuit.

Too soon.

The Notorious ZSB posted:

That's good thoughts

I would say it's probably my 3rd or 4th favorite series as a whole, but there are definite stretches of it that are kinda blah.

Thanks for the compliment, I'm usually told I got poo poo for brains so that's refreshing.

I'd put Turn A as my 3rd or 4th favorite too. It's not a perfect show for sure, but I think it's good parts make up for its flaws. It's also totally not for everyone. It's cliche, but I'd have to say that the original 0079 is my favorite series, with 0080: War in the Pocket right up there with it. I like the 08th MS Team and Zeta Gundam a lot too.

I haven't seen every show, though. I think I've seen just about everything Universal Century other than the 2nd half of Victory or G-Savior, but they're so far removed it doesn't really matter. (I'm not counting manga, games and light novels because then it becomes a real clusterfuck.) I've mostly just kind of dabbled in the alternate universe stuff and I think G Gundam, Wing and Turn A are the only non-UC shows I've seen all the way through.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Gammatron 64 posted:

Or maybe it's because the "main character" of the show is just kind of there, and the story really isn't about them. Turn A is really about Diana and Kihel, while IBO is really Orga's story. Like, I have nothing against Loran and he's actually quite likable, but the show just isn't about him and he doesn't have a lot of personality aside from being a warmhearted, good kid who is also kind of effeminate.

I think that's a little unfair on Loran. He doesn't change much during the show, but his arc is mostly about becoming less naive and experiencing more of the world, which fits nicely in a show where the major problem is people on both sides assuming they can start a war and that it'll be a quick and simple thing, mostly driven purely by their own emotions like Poe, Sochie or Gym. He doesn't become cynical or anything, but he does become more cautious in general and stops working so much with Guin and never trusts guys like Gym; who he might have at the start of the show, just because Gym says he's working for Queen Dianna's goals. Dianna and Kihel have the more personal, and really, more interesting tales during the show, but I think Loran's story actually fits the theme of the show a bit more.

Gammatron 64 posted:

IBO is really kind of dark even for Gundam, a series known for being really dark. Tomino is known as "kill 'em all" Tomino for a reason, but while shows like Zeta and Victory have huge bodycounts, it's rarely very graphic or disturbing. It's more Star Wars-esque space opera melodrama.

Gundam is only dark relative to other kids anime most of the time. IBO also tries to be dark, but backs away from it a lot of the time and ends up neutering it's point. The Brewer's bosses character designs meant it was very hard to take an arc ostensibly about child slavery seriously, the Gundams are sometimes armed with giant gunpla clippers or saws that look like dinosaur heads, character deaths are walked back in lazy ways and entire factions of what would normally be fairly abhorrent people are portrayed as the nicest people ever.

The pilot protagonist isn't an instant genius (in fact he's just sort of a well intentioned schmuck) and you have to grow with him through the entire series.

I don't really know that there's much growth to Loran, or that the audience is expected to slowly grow in to the show with him. I think that's more true of Sochie than Loran, and maybe to a lesser extent Dianna and Kihel.

I think the pay off at the end is mostly worth it, but its a very very slow burn of a show that sorta rapidly picks up in the last 1/4 of the run for some more traditional Gundam things. The most interesting things about it are rarely the Gundam mobile suit bits.

I've watched Turn-A 3 or 4 times now (I'm heavily biased in case you didn't realize, because Turn-A is one of my favorite shows full stop) and didn't really recall much of the mobile suit elements (besides designs) or combat from it after any of those watches. I went through some of the episodes making webms for /m/ a while back though and found some really cool little bits that I think stand up with the best the franchise has to offer in terms of creative fights. If I knew how to embed webms I'd throw a few here to illustrate the point, but I think it's not so much that the mobile suit bits aren't interesting as that the show doesn't focus on them and tends not to draw attention to them. Other shows have them be big long fights or have characters react with astonishment at what's happening, but Turn-A tends to have quick fights with little reaction from the pilots so that it can get back to the characters.

tsob fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Oct 26, 2017

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
I enjoyed Mika a lot and I hope Gundam never writes a protagonist like him ever again. He simply isn't a character that needs replication.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Shinjobi posted:

I enjoyed Mika a lot and I hope Gundam never writes a protagonist like him ever again. He simply isn't a character that needs replication.

Same, but with the added hope that Mika will get to meet Heero and Setsuna (optional: Sosuke) soon in a Super Robot Wars.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
While I won't argue that Mika is the more hosed up protagonist, I'd still give my favorite recent lead character award to Flemming. He's just fascinating in his douchebaggery.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Arcsquad12 posted:

While I won't argue that Mika is the more hosed up protagonist, I'd still give my favorite recent lead character award to Flemming. He's just fascinating in his douchebaggery.

Io Flemming is a lot more fun. He's kind of like a schoolyard bully that somehow wound up as the main character. It's like Zeta Gundam, but with Jerid as the main character. Except he's badass and not a total failure.

I always kind of thought of Jerid as like, the Biff Tannen of Gundam. He'll call you a butthead with a girl's name and throw your basketball on the roof for no reason, but then he'll crash his mobile suit into a truck full of manure.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Io would definitely join the Titans

dudermcbrohan
May 14, 2013

tsob posted:

the Gundams are sometimes armed with giant gunpla clippers

i agree with your other points on how ibo pulls some of its punches but i feel like akihiro's death vice is not one of those ways

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

tsob posted:

I don't really know that there's much growth to Loran, or that the audience is expected to slowly grow in to the show with him. I think that's more true of Sochie than Loran, and maybe to a lesser extent Dianna and Kihel.

I've watched Turn-A 3 or 4 times now (I'm heavily biased in case you didn't realize, because Turn-A is one of my favorite shows full stop) and didn't really recall much of the mobile suit elements (besides designs) or combat from it after any of those watches. I went through some of the episodes making webms for /m/ a while back though and found some really cool little bits that I think stand up with the best the franchise has to offer in terms of creative fights. If I knew how to embed webms I'd throw a few here to illustrate the point, but I think it's not so much that the mobile suit bits aren't interesting as that the show doesn't focus on them and tends not to draw attention to them. Other shows have them be big long fights or have characters react with astonishment at what's happening, but Turn-A tends to have quick fights with little reaction from the pilots so that it can get back to the characters.

I'll agree he doesn't "change" much but he does mature and slowly figure out what the role he wants to inhabit is vs being told about his role by others. His self agency is his change even though it results in not much of a fundamental change in what he does. Sochie is a brat start to the VERY loving FINISH, she's engaging but also the worst.

I meant more that unlike say Gundam Wing or even a lot of the UC entries, the ridiculous advancement of the Mobile Suits is not a driving factor. They unearth some stuff, but finding that next next Gundam upgrade or new thing is just not something the series focuses on or cares about. The stuff that makes it interesting and drives the story is the political tug of war (which I think Turn A is one of the best Gundams for that kind of story) and the at odds but actually well reasoned differing visions of each faction. Most Gundam stories make clear the villains are BAD, but Turn A has a lot of ambiguity that it plays with for the entire run. The mecha stuff can be interesting and engaging, but the series is very light on mecha action as a driving force of the story unlike say Zeta where the suits and all of the action required to thwart the Titans plans vs a ton of problem solving done without them in Turn A.

Gammatron 64 posted:

Thanks for the compliment, I'm usually told I got poo poo for brains so that's refreshing.

I'd put Turn A as my 3rd or 4th favorite too. It's not a perfect show for sure, but I think it's good parts make up for its flaws. It's also totally not for everyone. It's cliche, but I'd have to say that the original 0079 is my favorite series, with 0080: War in the Pocket right up there with it. I like the 08th MS Team and Zeta Gundam a lot too.

I haven't seen every show, though. I think I've seen just about everything Universal Century other than the 2nd half of Victory or G-Savior, but they're so far removed it doesn't really matter. (I'm not counting manga, games and light novels because then it becomes a real clusterfuck.) I've mostly just kind of dabbled in the alternate universe stuff and I think G Gundam, Wing and Turn A are the only non-UC shows I've seen all the way through.

I have watched just about every Gundam TV series (minus; Crossbone, Age, Build Fighters, most of the kiddy stuff) and Turn A rates so highly for me because its so unique. My opinions about 0080 are well maligned here but I still don't like it. The original TV series is trash, and that story is much better presented in the original film trilogy. Too much of the original series is a blatant push for toys and cheap filler animation. It just does not hold up in the same way that Macross does from that same era of mecha stories. I also tend to separate in my rankings the shorter OVA runs vs the long series.

08th MS Team is probably the best of the short run OVAs, I believe Zeta is the best of the UC series. Turn A I can never decide if I should consider it AU or UC or just the end of all Gundams sort of outside them but with them all?

I recently watched Victory and its not good. It gets points for brutal brutal offings of characters, but it loses a lot of points for space tires.

AU: IBO > 00S1 > Wing > 00S2 > SEED > X (i havent even finished X yet but its not good which says how bad the next one is) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SEED Destiny

G Gundam is its own glorious magical thing that everyone should see but I don't really fit it in with any other Gundam series.

UC's "problem" is that its primary quality is really in the OVA series. So Zeta is amazing, but ZZ is 2/3rds crap before 1/3rd of great, MSG is umm as I noted I think not stood the test of time, and after that is what? It just doesn't have a ton of long series that I think are very worthwhile. A lot of those stories have just been better in shorter windows at smaller scales.

I would readily say the top 3 Gundam series for me are; Zeta, Turn A, IBO. Everything else is kind of a mixed bag with issues that can have hairs split about. There isn't much I'd rate unwatchable. Except for F91, steer clear of that. SEED Destiny is also practically pure garbage, but the first 10-12 episodes are promising before it totally tanks, that is not a reason to watch it though.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Oct 26, 2017

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
drat, that's distressing. I was really hoping Sochie would be less unbearable as the series went on, she's a drag on almost every scene she's in now.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

drat, that's distressing. I was really hoping Sochie would be less unbearable as the series went on, she's a drag on almost every scene she's in now.

She gets better, especially after episode 26.

She's just always prone to being... irritable.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

She gets better but she's never a particularly interesting character IMO.

That being said she's still more interesting than Loran ever is.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

chiasaur11 posted:

She gets better, especially after episode 26.

She's just always prone to being... irritable.

Heck, she has some pretty good reasons for being angry.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Long story short, Gundam is a very polarizing series. That's typically the case with anything that has a ton of different incarnations after a while.

I've found that Zeta and 0080 are very love it or hate it series. I love both honestly. People who don't like Zeta typically say it's because they hate all the characters. I've never gotten a good explanation for the 0080 hate other than "it's boring and doesn't have a lot of action". Or "I'm a robot and don't feel emotions." If you ask me, it's the single best thing to come out of the whole series.

The only one people seem to agree on is 0079 but uh... yeah, you don't like that. Now granted, when I say 0079, I mean literally any version of it - the show, the movies, the Origin manga, whatever. So if you're like "the show sucks but the movies are good" it still counts. It's basically the same story with all the same key events in any version.

Plus, like it or not, pretty much everything borrows from the original Gundam and Zeta. And often Wing. Pretty much everything but G Gundam. G Gundam is weird and kind of not a Gundam show (it's still fun, though). It's funny \ weird that G Gundam was the first Alternate Universe, because it's the biggest departure in the series. Sometimes dopes who have only seen Turn A's designs and haven't watched the actual show say that one is, but it's really not.

My love of 0079/0080/08th MS Team also probably stems from nostalgia, too. Right after Gundam Wing came out, I ordered the 0079 movie trilogy (the little known terrible English dub that was only ever on VHS) and 0080 on VHS, then 0083 and the 08th MS Team were on Toonami and I just totally fell in love with those shows. I loved the poo poo out of those shows as a thirteen year old. I could probably describe everything that happens in 0079 from memory, but I couldn't even begin to tell you what happens in Wing. I tried watching it again, and I still can't even describe what happens. It's not that my memory is bad, it's just that show makes no coherent sense.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

GBF borrows from lots of things!

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Mika is a hosed up lunatic but every time he says "get out of my way" I'm like loving do it son. Kill them all.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

The stuff that makes it interesting and drives the story is the political tug of war (which I think Turn A is one of the best Gundams for that kind of story) and the at odds but actually well reasoned differing visions of each faction. Most Gundam stories make clear the villains are BAD, but Turn A has a lot of ambiguity that it plays with for the entire run.

I would slightly disagree with this, because while the Amerian factions and Dianna Counter are given very sympathetic portrayals over the course of the show and even the Midgard faction on the Moon has some ambiguity Gym Ghingham, Merrybell, Sweatson Sutero and by extension the entire Ghingham faction are really just portrayed as flat out bad and almost evil in every way. The only ambiguity to them is in Guin, and even he's shown as being in over his head and opposed to the people that he's allied with at multiple points. That's only a thing in the last like 8 or 10 episodes though, so it doesn't make a huge impact on the series and the sympathetic portrayals of both the main factions are what really sticks.

AU: IBO > 00S1 > Wing > 00S2 > SEED > X (i havent even finished X yet but its not good which says how bad the next one is) >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> SEED Destiny

I would personally say AGE is the worst show, at least of the "traditional" Gundam shows, because it somehow manages to be infuriatingy stupid and boring at the same time. The one time I thought it was genuinely entertaining was the beginning of the third generation, but even that was only for maybe 2 episodes before it mostly becomes boring and stupid again. Try is pretty much boring for it's entire run (bar the first two or three episodes) as well, and I can never decide whether AGE or Try is worse.

G Gundam is its own glorious magical thing that everyone should see but I don't really fit it in with any other Gundam series.

G does a surprisingly good job of adhering to Gundam's usual themes like one generation passing their problems on to the next and how conflict is bad while presenting them in a completely different way. It's the most effective AU simply because it almost doesn't seem like Gundam while still capturing the things that make Gundam what it is in many ways.

PMush Perfect posted:

Sochie starts the series as a spoiled kid and when war comes a-knockin' she basically curls in bed and Miashei can only coax her out of inaction by presenting her with the chance for revenge on the people who killed her father, something she takes to heart and pursues with gusto; until it gets someone she was genuinely starting to fall for killed. At that point the war really crashes home for her, and she sees something so horrific it eclipses her entire world and she spends the entire rest of the show trying to prevent anything like it from happening again. On a more personal level she also struggles with how to express her obvious feelings for Loran, which she mostly frames in the traditional roles they had known for her whole life i.e. she's the mistress and he's the servant. She wants to be nice to him and express her love for him, but can only express it by ordering him around because that's how their relationship has been for 2 years and the only way she knows how to treat others in general. It's actually quite sad. Dianna as Kihel eventually gets sick of it and gives Sochie the obligatory Brightslap of the show, after which she starts trying to express herself more honestly, but never really gets a handle on it before the show ends because change doesn't happen over night and because she has no idea how she should be treating him.

A lot of people find her a very aggravating character, but she's one of my favorite things about Turn-A. She grows the most out of the entire cast I think. Dianna is a woman of duty who learns to live again, Kihel wants to contribute to society and really leans in to it when she gets the chance, Loran is a naive but well intentioned guy who tries to treat everyone well and mostly just learns to be more questioning but Sochie starts a child and learns to deal with loss, to embrace a cause greater than her own and ends the show single and sad because her first crush just didn't work out. The second episode ends with her failing to complete the ritual to adulthood and she spends the entire show learning to be an adult rather than just having it bestowed on her by fiat.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

tsob posted:

I would personally say AGE is the worst show, at least of the "traditional" Gundam shows, because it somehow manages to be infuriatingy stupid and boring at the same time. The one time I thought it was genuinely entertaining was the beginning of the third generation, but even that was only for maybe 2 episodes before it mostly becomes boring and stupid again. Try is pretty much boring for it's entire run (bar the first two or three episodes) as well, and I can never decide whether AGE or Try is worse.

Try and G-Reco are the reason for my Gundam break. I just couldn't make it far into either without getting bored as hell. I didn't even bother watching AGE at all. It's a shame Try was so dull, because the first Build Fighters was really a joy to watch.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Okay, at least Try had some good episodes.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

PMush Perfect posted:

I'll probably give it another shot sometime. I'm gonna try and finish IBO even though some say it has the 2nd season curse 00 had.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Gammatron 64, what did you find uninteresting about G-Reco? I admit I haven't seen it in at least a year, but it's the reason I'm even rewatching Zeta Gundam now - I have the hankering to see it in glorious blu-ray, but this time with more Gundam under my belt. It's my favorite Gundam series out of all of them (so far), and I love, love how it handled its conflicts and ending.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

AGE is easily the worst Gundam show by a wide margin. It has some minor redeeming parts (mostly the Super Pilot theme song) but it's just such a tremendous mess.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

PMush Perfect posted:

I'm not sure which shows you're comparing it too, but like I said I think AGE had a few good episodes too around the start of the third generation since it seemed to be trying to do it's own thing with Grandpa Flit driving the Thundercats tank in to battle and transforming it in to a Gundam and a genuine sense of fun that quickly faltered. Destiny also has a run of decent episodes right at the start and Wing at least has a lot of really good scenes, concepts etc. more than entire episodes. I'd comment on ZZ, which is one of the other shows often considered bad, but it's one of those shows I haven't seen.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

AGE is easily the worst Gundam show by a wide margin. It has some minor redeeming parts (mostly the Super Pilot theme song) but it's just such a tremendous mess.

I forget it exists half the time.

A few words on Zeta: third time's the charm! Rewatching it, I'm actually understanding the broader political scope, most of the character's motivations, and the ship's movements through space. I feel like past me was a moron for not following this at all, but... :shrug:

Just wrapped ep 7 and my goodness this show is good. I mean, it's very weird and death-happy, but... I like it. I like watching the contrast in Kamille and Jerid, the animation is delicious, and Quattro still doesn't understand people.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I still say Victory is the worst.

At the end of the day though everybody has a Gundam show that's the worst for them.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Raxivace posted:

At the end of the day though everybody has a Gundam show that's the worst for them.

Hearing that Victory is the worst and that Tomino hates it has somehow genuinely made it more interesting for me. Like, I need to watch Zeta and ZZ first, but I'm so intensely curious to find out how the heck Tomino bombed a show so badly. Depression is one reason, but for it to be the worst means something comprehensively went wrong, and that's bound to be intriguing. (Like Brain Powerd! That show was not my cuppa at all, but it was weird, and I dig weird.)

Meanwhile AGE was (as I understand it) just a video game plot without any gameplay, so it's not too surprising that it turned out bad.

e: A Level 5 video game plot without any gameplay. They destroyed White Knight Chronicle's potential very easily, so, welp. Not a great track record.

StrixNebulosa fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Oct 27, 2017

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Raxivace posted:

If anyone says G I'll make them see my love, my anger, and all of my sorrow.

My opinion in this topic is the most generic though, AGE is loving terrible. Try has Trion 3 so it's instantly better. Destiny never happened as an anime but was a very good set of characters and plot in Super Robot Wars Z.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I merely find Zeta okay. It's got a load of technical improvements over 0079 which is given considering it has an actual budget, but it also has some rear end fight choreography until the end. I like it when they get creative with fight scenes, like how Victory took advantage of the multipart mobile suits zipping around. Zeta is mostly just "shoot, reaction shot, die" for the most part.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

StrixNebulosa posted:

Hearing that Victory is the worst and that Tomino hates it has somehow genuinely made it more interesting for me. Like, I need to watch Zeta and ZZ first, but I'm so intensely curious to find out how the heck Tomino bombed a show so badly. Depression is one reason, but for it to be the worst means something comprehensively went wrong, and that's bound to be intriguing. (Like Brain Powerd! That show was not my cuppa at all, but it was weird, and I dig weird.)

Meanwhile AGE was (as I understand it) just a video game plot without any gameplay, so it's not too surprising that it turned out bad.

It's also because Akihiro Hino was the primary director but wasn't familiar with directing animation at all and treated animation like games in some ways while also just kind of checking out after a while according to interviews; he wasn't coming to a lot of the meetings at the very least if I recall. As to Victory, I don't think Tomino hates the show itself so much as the period of his life that it represents, struggling with Bandai for control of his signature franchise/legacy and apparently some personal depression. I don't even think it bombed, and I find Victory to be one of the better UC shows personally, but as above, everyone has differing opinions on which entries succeed or fail.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I merely find Zeta okay. It's got a load of technical improvements over 0079 which is given considering it has an actual budget, but it also has some rear end fight choreography until the end. I like it when they get creative with fight scenes, like how Victory took advantage of the multipart mobile suits zipping around. Zeta is mostly just "shoot, reaction shot, die" for the most part.

On the one hand you're right

On the other hand the only other mech show I've been watching lately is Fighbird and that doesn't have a budget either, so the fact that these suits look so detailed and pretty in motion is more than enough to wow me :v:

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I think more than anything Victory is just boring and way too long for its own good (Which is true of nearly every full Gundam series to be fair).

Like for a show that has has a lot of dark content alongside goofy stuff like the guy reviving motorcycles as a viable vehicle for combat and the bikini death squad you'd think you'd at least get an interesting mess, but its not even that IMO.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 02:13 on Oct 27, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

Raxivace posted:

I think more than anything Victory is just boring and way too long for its own good (Which is true of nearly every full Gundam series to be fair).

Like for a show that has has a lot of dark content alongside goofy stuff like the guy reviving motorcycles as a viable vehicle for combat and the bikini death squad you'd at least get an interesting mess, but its not even that IMO.

Victory just has absolutely no idea what story it wants to tell. It's all over the place with the antagonists, no one has a clear motivation, the designs are really out there in a not good way imo. I just could not find it in myself to sympathize or care about anyone in the series. The fact that the finale is a completely disjointed mess hurts it too. People appear, disappear, we're expected to care about folks who exist for 2 episodes but then get referenced by folks that we haven't seen in 10+ episodes later like we should remember them. It's just badly badly constructed imo.

Gammatron 64 posted:

I've never gotten a good explanation for the 0080 hate other than "it's boring and doesn't have a lot of action". Or "I'm a robot and don't feel emotions." If you ask me, it's the single best thing to come out of the whole series.

The only one people seem to agree on is 0079 but uh... yeah, you don't like that. Now granted, when I say 0079, I mean literally any version of it - the show, the movies, the Origin manga, whatever. So if you're like "the show sucks but the movies are good" it still counts. It's basically the same story with all the same key events in any version.

0080 I take issue with on a couple points and I'll grant its been over 15 years since I've seen it. I don't care for child protagonists, and 0080's is naive and petulant in all the worst ways. I also think it's packaged badly. Its like a werid 5/6 episode OVA. Make it a movie so I can quickly digest it or give it some more room to breathe. I've gotten hate on that for forever in here but it was a well established belief among my group of friends when we went hard on anime.

0079 is good! Sorry if I gave the impression it is not, the story is awesome, I just think the movies are the right packaging for it. I wouldn't suggest anyone watch the 45+ episodes of the original TV run because its just drug out and frankly not very nice to look at compared to the movie counterparts (on top of my other notes). When I mention quality I mean as a total package for the story; the original TV series just isn't very good outside of the fact that it has all the parts that made the movies very popular a few years later and spawned all this business.

tsob posted:

That's only a thing in the last like 8 or 10 episodes though, so it doesn't make a huge impact on the series and the sympathetic portrayals of both the main factions are what really sticks.

First part here; I think the overwhelming take away is that for once most of my protagonists and antagonists as you mentioned have some real depth and reasons to be sympathetic to their visions of the future, only at the end when it gets more regular Gundam does a caricature of a villain appear.

Good to know about AGE. My friend and I will skip AGE as we've been slowly watching the longer Gundam series together.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Oct 27, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"
After rewatching Victory three months back, it wasn't that bad for me but it was just... bizarre.

The death count made death lose all kind of meaning except for one unexpected character in particular near the end of the finish line (Tomino did that character dirty man).

I am legitimately surprised Zanscare conquered anything; they are filled almost top to bottom with complete psychopaths who shouldn't even drive automobiles, let alone piloting mobile suits or commanding fleets.

Victory just has absolutely no idea what story it wants to tell. It's all over the place with the antagonists, no one has a clear motivation, the designs are really out there in a not good way imo. I just could not find it in myself to sympathize or care about anyone in the series. The fact that the finale is a completely disjointed mess hurts it too. People appear, disappear, we're expected to care about folks who exist for 2 episodes but then get referenced by folks that we have seen in 10+ episodes later like we should remember them. It's just badly badly constructed imo.

I watched the series with a friend and when we heard Chronicle's main motivation and master plan on episode like forty-loving-eight, we were just like "loving really man? You put up with this bullshit for this long and that's all you want to accomplish?"

MechaX fucked around with this message at 01:35 on Oct 27, 2017

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

WE HAVE TO GO BACKKKKKKKKK

TO KASARELLIAAAAA :negative:

KATEJINA LITERALLY WTF ARE YOU IN THIS SERIES FOR I DO NOT KNOW AND NEVER WILL

vvvv Forever and ever like a broken record vvvvv

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Oct 27, 2017

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

WE HAVE TO GO BACKKKKKKKKK

TO KASARELLIAAAAA :negative:

"Uso, let me go talk to Uncle Chronicle! I bet I can convince him to stop running over cities with giant motorcycle battleships! :downs:"

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

PMush Perfect posted:

That's pretty loving generous. It has maybe two or three outright-good episodes, and a few decent fights in others.

I quite liked G-Reco.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm the weirdo who thinks that the movie compilations of 0079 are terrible. When you condense a 45 episode show into three 3hr movies you lose any sense of ramping tension or payoff. The ending to the first movie is laughable, introducing ramba ral literally five minutes before the film is over.

I'd also recommend the TV series because the ocean dub is really good. And the film lacks most of the kickass funky soundtrack the show has in favor of a mostly dour dramatic style.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

I'm the weirdo who thinks that the movie compilations of 0079 are terrible. When you condense a 45 episode show into three 3hr movies you lose any sense of ramping tension or payoff. The ending to the first movie is laughable, introducing ramba ral literally five minutes before the film is over.

I'd also recommend the TV series because the ocean dub is really good. And the film lacks most of the kickass funky soundtrack the show has in favor of a mostly dour dramatic style.

The good thing about the movies is that they're instead 540 minutes instead of 1290