Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

You guys are making me feel like the only person in the world that picked 9S following all of this. I loved playing as 9S and also didn't give a gently caress about A2. Her story could wait, I played 9S until the game told me I had to play as A2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Sandman
Jun 23, 2013

Okay!

So, I've, like, designed a really sweet attack plan that I'm calling Attack Plan Ded Moroz, like "Deadmau5!"

WUB!

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Literally nobody in existence who's played this game has had this issue on their first playthrough, I wager.

I did, actually. Because I went back and forth between their stories instead of finishing A2's and then doing 9S's.

And yeah, gently caress the upcoming boss. I don't even remember if the music was good when I fought him, that's how lovely he was.

KamikazePotato
Jun 28, 2010

The Dark Id posted:

I mean, 9S is the lead protagonist of the game. What did you think 2B was the main character? Pfft. She’s died 2/3rds of the way through the plot and had like a quarter as much dialogue as 9S even when she was alive.

I imagine that when Yoko Taro saw that 2B's popularity had exploded even before the game had come out - to the point where she was synonymous with the game - he let out a contended sigh over how upset he was about to make people.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

The Sandman posted:

I did, actually. Because I went back and forth between their stories instead of finishing A2's and then doing 9S's.

And yeah, gently caress the upcoming boss. I don't even remember if the music was good when I fought him, that's how lovely he was.

Yeah if you alternate between the two, you can still be spoiled by exploring. And the game forces you to switch between them before going too long as one character, so you can’t just finish all of A2’s story then go to 9S.

FeyerbrandX
Oct 9, 2012

I wouldn't put it past our dear Sith Lord Taro Yoko to have devised that with B2's memories in A2 that we reveal that her name is now ABBA and that the final boss is another rhythm game set to Dancing Queen.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

really queer Christmas posted:

Yeah if you alternate between the two, you can still be spoiled by exploring. And the game forces you to switch between them before going too long as one character, so you can’t just finish all of A2’s story then go to 9S.

I'm fairly sure this isn't true. I remember doing all of A2's story and then doing all of 9S's

Mazerunner
Apr 22, 2010

Good Hunter, what... what is this post?
Is it really spoilering? I'd call it foreshadowing.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I have no doubt that learning what A2 has done will leave you with a lot of questions about why she did it.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
I did 9S first and it was fine.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?
A story can't spoil the events of its own narrative.

MysticalMachineGun
Apr 5, 2005

I swear I read someone complaining somewhere that the Resi series doesn't do stuff like in 2 where it's a choice between Claire A/Leon B type stuff.

Who knew that it would live on through :yokotaro:

BaDandy
Apr 3, 2013

"This taste...

is the taste of a liar!"

KamikazePotato posted:

I imagine that when Yoko Taro saw that 2B's popularity had exploded even before the game had come out - to the point where she was synonymous with the game - he let out a contended sigh over how upset he was about to make people.

There are so many :yokotaro: power moves in this game that I'm in awe. This was a huge one but another favorite of mine was having the opening credits show up when and how they did.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

So who would win in a fight, 2B or A2

I mean, not now, obviously

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Billzasilver posted:

9S because hacking is overpowered as poo poo

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Billzasilver posted:

Which one do you like more? That one dies.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

FeyerbrandX posted:

I wouldn't put it past our dear Sith Lord Taro Yoko to have devised that with B2's memories in A2 that we reveal that her name is now ABBA and that the final boss is another rhythm game set to Dancing Queen.

Please do not discuss spoilers.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016
I've actually seen some people interpret the coming boss as being deliberately a pain in the rear end to fight
Not by accident in any way, but something to possibly reinforce a theme brought up during its boss fight
Which I will try to point it out after the next update
Provided id does not address said themes and interetation during it

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The chapter select places their parts as though they want you to swap A2 > 9S > A2 etc

Completing all of one character will "spoil" certain things from another's but it's entirely and massively without context so if anything it's more of a "huh, what's gonna happen here" thing

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)

Kavak posted:

So A2 is basically Zero before she had the goal of killing her clone sisters and herself.

Don’t underestimate my murdergal A2

megane
Jun 20, 2008

A2 always sounds like she has just the worst loving hangover and is running on nothing but black coffee and Advil.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

Gotta say, I'm really digging the passive-aggressive overbearing computer assistant vibe from our Wesker pod here. That 30 seconds bit was the best possible introduction. It's like Clippy suddenly grew an incredibly dry sense of humor. :allears:

I love the pods and their weird almost-personality.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)

Torquemadras posted:

Gotta say, I'm really digging the passive-aggressive overbearing computer assistant vibe from our Wesker pod here. That 30 seconds bit was the best possible introduction. It's like Clippy suddenly grew an incredibly dry sense of humor. :allears:

I love the pods and their weird almost-personality.

I don't think anyone who displays that level of to-the-letter rules sass can be called only "almost" a person anymore. He's definitely at least as sentient as most HR departments.

apocalypticCritic
Mar 19, 2014

MarquiseMindfang posted:

I don't think anyone who displays that level of to-the-letter rules sass can be called only "almost" a person anymore. He's definitely at least as sentient as most HR departments.

I've known some HR drones.

I'm still not convinced, is what I'm saying.

Magil of Shadow
Dec 28, 2009

Proposal: Form a friendly relationship immediately.

"You have GOT to be kidding me"

And finally, we come to my favorite of the three playable characters. A2 is just SUCH a breath of fresh air after going though Route B, if only for how tired I was of Hackerman at that point. I went into Route B liking 9S, but needed a proper break by the time Route C started.

Then we got A2, and while I'm just as much on board as everyone else for saying 'gently caress the next boss to the ninth circle of hell where it belongs', even that doesn't affect how I prefer A2, once she's fully shown off, to the other two playable cast.

Graceful Graveler
May 18, 2009

Ursine Catastrophe posted:

Literally nobody in existence who's played this game has had this issue on their first playthrough, I wager.

I picked 9S first and wandered off to a place I might have been better off not wandering off to. :downs: But to be fair, I felt less "spoiled" and more "severely concerned."

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Arkanumzilong posted:

I've actually seen some people interpret the coming boss as being deliberately a pain in the rear end to fight
Not by accident in any way, but something to possibly reinforce a theme brought up during its boss fight
Which I will try to point it out after the next update
Provided id does not address said themes and interetation during it

One day ID should just post one part of an LP and watch everyone wink-wink their way through the entire game, since everyone's so helpful in this subforum.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

This is a real spoiler for all games in existence:

If any part of a game is really poo poo and bad, it's not by choice or a thematic decision, it's because they couldn't make it better and anything to handwave it is excuse making and nonsense.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

If any part of a game is really poo poo and bad, it's not by choice or a thematic decision, it's because they couldn't make it better and anything to handwave it is excuse making and nonsense.

I mean that's explicitly untrue. An easy example of it is the opening of Zone of the Enders 2 where you control a lovely mecha that is barely mobile and awkward to use to emphasize how powerful the robot you get five minutes later is. They obviously can make it control well, they chose not to because it's supposed to be a clunky construction machine.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Uhh tag that poo poo maybe?

Mods??

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I mean that's explicitly untrue. An easy example of it is the opening of Zone of the Enders 2 where you control a lovely mecha that is barely mobile and awkward to use to emphasize how powerful the robot you get five minutes later is. They obviously can make it control well, they chose not to because it's supposed to be a clunky construction machine.

Controlling that robot in Zone of the Enders 2 is neither poo poo or bad though.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Intentionally bad gameplay is only okay if it's not in any way a part of the main content of the game.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
I think I'm the only guy who didn't really have problems with this boss fight, the "floating orb of trash" fight against Eve in routes A/B pissed me off much more (especially A where you can't just hack)

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.

Nina posted:

Intentionally bad gameplay is only okay if it's not in any way a part of the main content of the game.

I think it really depends on context. 2B's death march was cool because it showed how hosed up she was and was another solid instance of Automata telling its story through its gameplay. That said, they should've blocked off the crater because getting stuck really ruins the moment, and there's no real justification for the next boss being so tedious. May have been out of the developers' hands, but it doesn't mean it's immune to criticism.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I also fell in the crater during the death march.

gently caress the crater.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I also fell in the crater during the death march.

gently caress the crater.

I fell in the crater and then a stubby spiked me into the lower pit

Zomborgon
Feb 19, 2014

I don't even want to see what happens if you gain CHIM outside of a pre-coded system.

exploded mummy posted:

Stubbies are the most dangerous of the Machines in the right situations. That arm pinwheel attack is monstrous.

I am not joking in the slightest.

Plank Walker
Aug 11, 2005

exploded mummy posted:

I actively went into the lower pit because I was like, hmm a place with no machines around, guess I'll go to the white zone :doh:

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Zomborgon posted:

Stubbies are the most dangerous of the Machines in the right situations. That arm pinwheel attack is monstrous.

I am not joking in the slightest.

Just like how even dozens of hours into Dark Souls, I'm still perfectly capable of getting clowned by some jackass hollow flailing his sword around like an idiot.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

You see, you're assuming here that people can't make poo poo game design choices

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Weeble
Feb 26, 2016
I didn't find this next boss all that bad... maybe cause I was loaded up on Offensive Heal chips?

Offensive Heal is just the best.

• Locked thread