Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Aw, poor Oz. He thought he'd live forever covered in glory.

Instead he's dead on some penny-ante island in the middle of nowhere, covered in blood.

I ain't cryin'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Glazius posted:

Aw, poor Oz. He thought he'd live forever covered in glory.

Instead he's dead on some penny-ante island in the middle of nowhere, covered in blood.

I ain't cryin'.

If you're cryin', you're dyin'

Oh and by the way, there IS an alternate death scene for him, if you take out Balxephon first!

-Balxephon falls first.- posted:

: I think we've won ourselves time enough. The moment is ripe for our departure. We've held out as long as we can, Oz!

: Go on, Balxephon! I will buy you time.

: And throw away your own life in the bargain? I won't allow it!

[Brave Ser Balxephon ran away]

: What have you done, boy!

: This...was...unexpected. Sister, help.

: Help...me.

tithin fucked around with this message at 02:18 on Oct 14, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.
At least they explain what happens to Cerya.

Cistina, that woman we rescued early on in Chapter 1, has vanished entirely in the Law Route. Given how they make the Four Sisters a big deal, it's odd there isn't even an aside comment.

Basically Ravness took her place, but that hole was in the original too where Ravness didn't exist.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Andyzero posted:

At least they explain what happens to Cerya.

Cistina, that woman we rescued early on in Chapter 1, has vanished entirely in the Law Route. Given how they make the Four Sisters a big deal, it's odd there isn't even an aside comment.

Basically Ravness took her place, but that hole was in the original too where Ravness didn't exist.

i think that's because, in the grand scheme of the law story, she died doing something unimportant. the Ceyra cutscene gives context for something that happens in chapter 4, so it makes sense to include in the law path.

Roobanguy fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 16, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

In both Neutral and Chaos, if you kill Oz and Ozma at the same time with the same attack; she apologizes to him letting him get so screwed up.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 4 - Let us Cling Together
Episode 1

No gameplay this Episode - mainly exposition.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKhNsQ_iAGM

The Bakram reeled as rumor after rumor flooded in following the fall of Phidoch Castle:

The leader of their enemy, a youth scarce old enough to shave;
Their own Abuna Brantyn, a man unworthy of their trust;
The Dark Knights, routed in the field of battle.

But above all else, the news that King Dorgalua's daughter still lived!

In their desperation, the people wept. They yearned for a righteous leader, a savior to bring them prosperity. The Lady Catiua was the answer to their prayers.

Lanselot Tartaros, mouthpiece of the Holy Lodissian Empire, recognized Catiua as the rightful heir to the Valerian throne. The quarrel over succession was officially laid to rest.

By Lanselot's accounting, this "prior unrest," as he named it, stemmed not from a deep-rooted divide between clans, but instead form the misdeeds of a handful of power-hungry men. the history books would speak of no great Valerian war.

Yet only the landed and the nobility paid any service to Lanselot's tale for those who resented the ascendency of the Bakram, words made a poor salve.

The wounds they suffered would not heal without further bloodshed.

So it was that, while the lie of the battlefield changed, the war raged on.

What had once been seen as a clash of clans became a rift between the rulers and the ruled, a struggle to break free form the yoke of oppression.

Thankfully the game's made our territory land grab really obvious here, at the start of Chapter 4, which is where a lot of the loose threads start to come together, and divergent choices start to converge.

We are now the larger of the two powers on the island, holding all of the light blue, while the Bakram and the Dark Knights hold the territory in red.

And Catiua, the bastard daughter, of the rightful king.

-----------//-----------

: Hmph. You still live. Leave us!

Distant Voice: ...Another uprising...companies...to the highroads...

Jesus christ, HKLanselot got his poo poo stomped in.

: Who rules in Valeria is a trifling matter. You of all people must understand this.

: ...

: Let me guess. Unable to stem the tide that rises from the hamlets and villages?

: Perhaps we asked too much of the Bakram's soldiers. They are not the soldiers we are, you know. Or the men.

: Always binding people to your will, fettering them lest they show signs of free thought.

: Perhaps therein lies your problem?

: They ask for a stern hand to rule them.

: They...ask? You're mad!

: You have it wrong. It is the world that is mad.

: How many would bloody their hands, risk their necks, walk without leaning upon another?

I dunno, there seems to be rather a lot of them beating down your castle walls atm.

: Times were hard. They had all they could do to keep themselves fed...

: Nonsense. They chose to be victims!

: They think that only from without the castle walls may one voice discontent.

: Not realizing that the quickest way to the throne is a knife to the king's ribs.

My dude, I don't think most people consider regicide as the solution to all of lifes problems. Though I'll grant you the idea has some merit.

: These people have the right to live out their own lives, not some part in a play of your design!

: True freedom is not granted from above, it is won from below.

: And yet the commons look without for a savior, even as they claim sovereignty over their own fate!

: They wait and they wait for this savior, never taking that first step toward saving themselves.

: Man is not so slothful a creature as that.... They...merely lack our strength.

: All men are born with a terrible burdon upon their hearts, this insatiable yearning for pleasure. They do not hesitate to take the lives of others if it will better their own. And yet, even these base creatures can know guilt. So what do they do? They turn it round.

: This is not my fault, man says. The world has failed me.

: Someone must bring order to this chaos! If the commons want to pursue their pleasure, let them do it in our service, under our rule!

Is there a word for "Fantasy Libertarian"

: You call this "rule"? This trampling underfoot of all who disagree with you?

: We trample no one. All we do is reach beneath the suppurating flesh of this world and wrench out the source of its ailment.

: No. As the body strives to mend itself, so does the heart. These people you so despise may one day astonish you with their valor!

Out the window, look.

: People are drawn to power, drawn toward safety.

: They will betray even their most beloved to obtain it -

: Allow me to introduce you to your leige, knight.

: For this girl is none other than the gift left us by Dynast-King Dorgalua: The Princess Veralia, rightful ruler of Valeria!

: What!?

: As you say, the Bakram are not long for this world. But, with the princess in our hands, Valeria will beg to serve under Lodis.

: Catiua, how.... Is this true?

: He abandoned me. And now I, him.

-----------//-----------

: Not even the officers among the Bakram know her whereabouts, and the regent has lent his spies to the search.

: I see no other explanation but that the princess has sided with the Dark Knights.

: What word of the Dark Knights?

One of the perks of moving up in the world is that you get a new stylist

: Most remain garrisoned in Heim. But many of their commanders, including Tartaros, are conspicuously absent.

: Perhaps this is why the Bakram do not move against us. What could they be scheming?

: Yes. Have you heard something?

: A confession wrung from a scullery maid. It seems that the Holy Knight languishes in the dungeon below Heim Castle.

: So he lives!

: Yes, but under such a guard that not even the Bakram are allowed near. I was unable to mark him with my own eyes.

: Still, you have done much. Go. Rest.

: By your leave, commander.

I like to think of this guy as Nerraw, for reasons that will shortly become clear.

: Not as yet. It would be rash indeed to strike without first knowing the Dark Knights' purpose.

: Yes, but the more time that passes before we strike, the weaker we become.

: Have you forgotten the way the men speak of the princess?

: I know. I know. All the more reason to not act in haste!

: What is it?

: What's this!?

: What are their demands?

: Our surrender to the Bakram, sir!

: After all the fighting we've been through? Not bloody likely!

: Their followers among the soldiers were many, were they not?

: Aye. And their influence has only grown since the princess's appearance.

: What will you do?

: I see no other choice but to meet with these followers and Philaha and speak with them.

: Out of the question! It's too dangerous, Commander.

At least one of our leaders has a sense of tactics and an understanding of how easy it would be to assassinate our leader.

God damnit

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Yes! drat those peasants! Huddling in their huts and doing nothing to better themselves except for killing without the slightest hesitation!

I suppose that's what makes you into a good Dark Knight. Hating the world no matter what it throws at you.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Whoever's got the biggest whiskers does the talking.
And Alphonse used to be such a nice guy.

:negative:

FairGame
Jul 24, 2001

Der Kommander

How was this line translated in the original?

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FNaVJ9A0oo

:v:
"If I go alone without any weapons they will listen to me"

Man...I had totally forgotten how spartan and blunt the original translation was.
I had memories of it being much better; then again I was only a teenager at the time.

Not to mention where it's straight up wrong at certain points--the original implies that the hostage takers want Bacrum to surrender when in actuality they want the opposite; for YOU to surrender to Bacrum!

Also the debate between the Lanses is pretty much the most intense scene of dialogue of the whole game, and the original has a definite tone in how blunt and coarse the language used is.
Personally, I much prefer the retranslation--not necessarily for the more "flowery" language, but because it does a better job of portraying Lans Tartare as a more reasonable and pragmatic villain.

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at 23:44 on Oct 25, 2017

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013

Shiki Dan posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FNaVJ9A0oo

:v:
"If I go alone without any weapons they will listen to me"

Man...I had totally forgotten how spartan and blunt the original translation was.
I had memories of it being much better; then again I was only a teenager at the time.

Not to mention where it's straight up wrong at certain points--the original implies that the hostage takers want Bacrum to surrender when in actuality they want the opposite; for YOU to surrender to Bacrum!

Also the debate between the Lanses is pretty much the most intense sense of dialogue of the whole game, and the original definitely has a definite tone in how blunt and coarse the language used is.
Personally, I much prefer the retranslation--not necessarily for the more "flowery" language, but because it does a better job of portraying Lans Tartare as a more reasonable and pragmatic villain.

Only in the original translation will you find generic enemy soldiers named Boner.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Lans and Lans have a philosophy argument.

Me: Well, maybe there's SOMETHING to what Evil Lans is saying. Dude witnessed Satan being redeemed by Satan fusing with his girlfriend.

Evil Lans: Oh, btw, the girl you were protecting, she betrayed everybody, see? Also, some dudes are gonna torture you to insanity now. Bye!

....dammit, Evil Lans.

Law Route also makes LeviDestin an interesting foil to Evil Lans; they both are covered in blood, they both aren't "repenting" per se, but doing what they think is right For The Greater Good. <tm>

A lot of LeviDestin's behavior makes sense if you think of him being aware of all the timelines. He KNOWS that sometimes the most trivial differences determine whether someone is good or evil or on your side or not. He hasn't given up trying to do the right thing, but he doesn't spend effort anymore on "why." Or "why" other people do what they do, because it's usually petty.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Reminder that Knight of Lodis is not canonical.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Reminder that Knight of Lodis is not canonical.

Oh boy, a canon slap fight.

:downs:

My take is that it's canon till otherwise re-told. If anything this re-make strengthened this stance since Lan's weapon actually refers to a certain somebody from that game. Hmmph, seems I mis-remembered that. Doesn't change my opinion on the matter.

Disagree if you want, but just know I don't care. :downs:

mauman fucked around with this message at 04:36 on Oct 27, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

lol canon.

It doesn't look like they're going to pursue this series anymore. This is a remake of a genre changed sequel. Canon has been warped and changed, and even the prequels that are canon; the events are different. Take how "angels" are depicted in the Tower of Law Coda with how they're depicted in Ogre Battle.

I've got a big ol' spiel about Lodis-ism, Roshfel-ism, monotheism, polytheism, how humans treated it, and how the gods and angels reacted. I was waiting for the Tower of Law, or at least the Apocrypha shrines first though.

My take is Knight of Lodis happened, but in broad strokes. Evil!Lans really doesn't like heaven. And he has an angel's sword.

The zinger in this remake makes that even murkier, given that The World system means you can pull characters from different timelines. While it doesn't change the timeline they're currently in, the post-game epilogue timeline does matter. Regardless of Chaos or Law, Coda events requiring characters will be available if you have those characters. Everyone recruitable can be saved in the end. Sadly, we never have Levi/Denam explaining he had to help kill those villagers to prevent Vyce from turning/evil/dead

This and Person of Lordly Calibur implied some big war with Rashidi once again was coming.

That war will never come.

But I suppose it never ended.

The Ogre Battle is Eternal.

Andyzero fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Oct 27, 2017

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Andyzero posted:

My take is Knight of Lodis happened, but in broad strokes. Evil!Lans really doesn't like heaven. And he has an angel's sword.

Ah, thank you. I was trying to remember the term broad strokes.

This is exactly how I feel.

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Andyzero posted:

mod edit: hey, if it's a spoiler, maybe don't quote it?

wow you hosed up that spoiler hard core.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Oct 27, 2017

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

Working on it, please don't quote the whole thing.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
the order of spoilerquote strikes again

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Levi has such great faith in people now for some reason.
"Sure I butchered a bunch of innocent people to rabble rouse a war, but surely these other guys are honorable and won't murder me/hold me captive!"

Roobanguy posted:

wow you hosed up that spoiler hard core.

You might want to edit it out of your quote then, now you're the one mucking it up.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Lans Tartare had Ambicion in the original LUCT as well, it was just translated as "Angel". That's not from Knight of Lodis.

Matsuno really didn't take anything from Knight of Lodis, and explicitly told interviewers it's not relevant to Tactics Ogre (which I thought was somewhat mean of him). Which is a shame, as the emblem system was a nice idea.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

:D You can't stop me from headcanons

Honestly, I've seen countless games where the author says "this ending in the True Ending" and then there's a sequel that had nothing to do with it.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

As Matsuno doesn't actually own the IP, he has no ability to say what is and isn't canon.

This would be like defending George Lucas if he said Episode 7 was not canon.

mauman fucked around with this message at 03:55 on Oct 27, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
I'm just here to to ride along with Levi's genocide party, heckle tithin, and maybe ship Vyce and Canopus

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Birdstrike posted:

I'm just here to to ride along with Levi's genocide party, heckle tithin, and maybe ship Vyce and Canopus

ewww don't ship Vyce with anybody

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Eh, Law Vyce is fine.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Tallgeese posted:

Eh, Law Vyce is fine.

That's something we can agree on.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chaos Vyce thinks law vyce can gtfo

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
If someone posts a spoiler, please don't quote said spoiler.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

tithin posted:

Chaos Vyce thinks law vyce can gtfo

C. Vyce is a punk, so who cares what he thinks :downs:

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

Video game you trying to tell me "Catiua" and "Joshua" rhyme?!

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

Blind Sally posted:

If someone posts a spoiler, please don't quote said spoiler.

my b. i completely forgot about the thread after quoting it.

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Episode 49 - Generic assassination!

We own the main continent now.

During the couple of week break from Chapter 3 to 4, there was a broad discussion on the fate of The Liberation Front, an organisation that we rescued a member of all the way back in Chapter one, and well, as it turns out there was a small cutscene that depicts their fate hidden away in the timeline.

For reference, this occurs simultaneously to when Catiua finds out via Lanselot that she is the bastard daughter of the now deceased king, which in turn was shortly after Ravness finally joins us.

At the top of the screen, a simple robed figure walks off screen. Abuna Prancet.

:gonk:

Yeah, that's not even remotely subtle.

-----------//-----------

With a new chapter comes new news!

Chapter 4 is essentially the "end game" chapter, wherein a lot of sidequests start to open up as the storyline progresses. Soon enough we'll be delving into the deep dungeons, and invading the pirate fortress, but that's a ways away. We're about 7 levels too low for that right now.

Good news for collectors of trinkets and treasures! We have had the good fortune of running into a charming young shopkeeper by the name of Deneb, who stocks all manner of rare curiosities. She peddles her wares as she travels the lands, so consider yourself blessed if you happen upon her!

Deneb is a sidequest in her own right, one that will result in you recruiting her in one of two capacities, one which is "strong" and another which is "broken as poo poo holy poo poo". This is not something that I can do for quite some time, but will hopefully do down the track.

A Ceremony celebrating Princess Versalia's return to power was held at Heim Castle. Bakram officials who served King Dorgalua, including Regent Brantyn Morne, pledged their allegiance to the Princess. Lord Tartaros also attended as representative of High Priest Sardian of the Holy Lodissian Empire, reaffirming the alliance between the two nations.

We know now, thanks to the discussion between the two Lanselots that this is a play by the Holy Lodissian Empire, to take over the Bakram isles.

Emptyquote, which incorporates soldiers of the former Walister resistance and the armies of Galgastan, appears to be faltering. Still known as the Resistance, they pledge to fight the Bakram, but following the capture of Phidoch Castle a stalemate has been reached, and some of their number now beleive the war to be futile. We will keep a close watch on future developments.

If it weren't plain, Catiua being revealed to be the heir really took the wind out of our sails.

The order of Philaha was divided by infighting following the death of King Dorgalua, with current leader Regent Morne ousting Archiereus Mreuva. However, Mreuva has gained many supporters since his removal, and a great number of followers wish him reinstated when Princess Versalia returns to power.

Turns out Brantyn's the reason one of our factions turned traitor. Whoever could have seen this coming.

There have been rumours of discord between the Bakram and Dark Knights, and now it seems there is internal strife in the Dark Knights as well. A Bakram soldier revealed he saw Dark Knight Commanders quarreling in Barnicia Castle.

The details of the dispute are not known, but over the past weeks the Dark Knights have been linked to dishonorable acts such as the massacre at Rhime and the fall of Phidoch Castle. The Dark Knights may be looking for a scapegoat on which to lay the blame, but thus far they have remained silent on the matter.

This is the first we're "officially" hearing of a rift, but we know that Ozma is suspicious of them after catching her comrades out in a lie.

Law and order has suffered due to the lengthy war, but one town has been a haven for lawlessness since the rule of King Dorgalua, Southwest of Qadriga Fortress lies Ubeia, site of the outlaw's haven called Omish.

Omish has a long history as a stopover port for sea trades, but over time it became a haunt for pirates, and it now operates under its own laws. It is also home to many criminals and former soldiers seeking anonymity, as well as refugees who lost their homes in Dorgalua's great war.

Personally I think law and order usffered due to being a bad TV show, but that was just me.

This event officially opens up Omish / Pirate Fortress as a sidequest. We are drastically underlevelled and undergeared to go there, so we will not be doing so for some time. Quite possibly until the post game.

-----------//-----------

of course

Enemy Composition - Bahanna Highlands

Condition(s): Kill Uram.

Green
Uram (Wizard)
H. Cleric x2
H. Swordmaster
H. Beast Tamer x2
H. Archer x2
H. Berserker
Frost Dragon x2
H. Valkyrie

Not much to say about this fight, it's a bit of filler to be blunt. The guide recommends that you one shot this with an archer with a great bow, but mine didn't have the reach to do it.

Just building up a bit of TP for Snipette.

The terrain really works to our advantage here.

Having 3 archers really helps.

Jeunan goes mano a mano against one of the frost dragons down south.

He's not at a level with the rest of our party just yet but he's tanky enough that he can stand on the frontlines now.

That 50 damage was from Arycelle, she really is incredibly powerful.

:gas:

Donnalto makes a move towards the target but doesn't quite have the reach to get there. The northern frost dragon then turns around and tail lashes him.

Thanks Canopus! Both for waking him up and stunning him!

Huh, Donnalto didn't one round the mage target. That's odd.

:gas:

They might have been able to kill him if the mage had used a shadow spell as opposed to ice.

No petrify!

: The bastard's...killed me.

On the next episode - we go to visit a church!

tithin fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Nov 5, 2017

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay

tithin posted:

On the next episode - we go to visit a church!

take me to chonch

Shitenshi
Mar 12, 2013
From what I''ve heard, it's worse for Selye in this version, because at least in the SFC one, the Warren Report stopped showing her age, meaning they killed her. In this one, apparently she's still listed as alive. That is definitely a fate worse than death.

mauman
Jul 30, 2014

Oz truly deserves to die.

Turns out Ozma agrees

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Rebellion can't keep the roads clear, even. Yeah, we're fading fast.

birdstrike
Oct 30, 2008

i;m gay
more like

dorkalua

tithin
Nov 14, 2003

[Grandmaster Tactician]

Chapter 50 - Revelations

Another chapter with little in the way of gameplay, but lots in the way of revelations.

There's three different ways to handle this:

1/ Going in the front door, unarmoured and without allies on the battle party
2/ Going in the front door, armoured with allies
3/ Going in the back door

The first one lets you skip two battles. Either of the other two involves fighting your way through the rebels holdfast.

We will be skipping these fights - they are not interesting, and the update will be long enough without them.

-----------//-----------

: Don't your recognize me? I've come for an audience with your high priest.

: Steady there! That's Levi of Golyat you're talking to.

: I'll be the judge of that. How do I know you don't have half a dozen soldiers with you?

: Leave off. Sir Levi isn't the sort to lie to us.

:I knew you were always their man!

: I am Olivya, a sybil of the order here.

: You wish to meet with our leader, Abuna Prancet? Come this way.

: What did you say? Abuna Prancet?

: Yes, your father is here.

: I don't understand.

: What do you mean?

So this isn't going to be a happy reunion

: What place is this "vale"?

: It is a small cavern where those afflicted with incurable disease or plague are kept.

: Plague...

: We did all we could to save him, but his condition only worsens.

: He was tortured, yes, and made to quaff a vile draught meant to loosen the lips

: ...and the mind.

: Father...

: Let us go.

-----------//-----------

Yeah, that's one sick old man

: There is something I must tell you...

: It's about my sister, isn't it?

: Catiua...is not your sister, as you know.

: She is the last remnant of Dorgalua's line...the Princess versalia Oberyth.

Yeah, we know this part already.

-----------//-----------

: I was hoping, your Highness, that I might be granted a short leave.

: Your forgiveness, I beg you!

[She advances on Mannaflora and the Camera cuts away.]

-----------//-----------

: How is Mannaflora?

[Prancet shakes his head.]

: I feared as much. The strain was too much for her delicate heart to bear.

: So...that is Versalia.

: Is that to be her name? Versalia?

: It was his Highness's wish to have his daughter named so.

: We should tell him. He will want to know.

: No. It is best that only you and I know of this.

: Then, what should I do with the child?

: Keep her.

:smith:

: As my own flesh and blood?

: Yes. For her sake, and the good of Valeria.

: But how...

: I am sure you will find a way.

: Ah, I have something for you.

: They were a gift from his Highness, to celebrate the birth of his child.

: He intended that the blue be given to a prince, the red to a princess.

so is it a done thing for the priesthood to steal poo poo from the monarchy in Valeria, or just Brantyn?

: But...I could not sell these!

:You will need money if you're to raise a child. And a princess, besides.

: You and I both grew up commons. You know what it is to need. What we must do....

: Give it no more thought, Prancet. This is the only way.

-----------//-----------

: He used his knowledge of Mannaflora and the girl to advance his position within the church.

: I...erred, Levi, when the king passed away.

: Had I only offered up Catiua then, this war might never have come to pass.

: But I.... I couldn't let her go. When I heard her call me "father," I could not take that way from her...or her from me.

: I had no idea...

: The Dark Knights have searched long and hard for Catiua. But not to make her sovereign of Valeria. They pursue another purpose.

: You know this purpose?

: Yes...her crowning ceremony was for show.... They don't want her upon a throne.... They want King Dorgalua's legacy.

: What legacy? Some sort of artifact?

: And my sister knows where it is?

: No...she knows nothing.

: Yet her role is vital. Only one who shares the Dynast-King's blood can undo the seal upon the tomb.

: They're using her.

: Father, you must rest!

: Father!

: Find Mreuva! He...was once Archiereus in our order.... He can help you.

: Say no more, father. You must conserve your strength!

-----------//-----------

: There is something else you must know.

: Can it not wait?

: No.... It concerns you and the regent, Brantyn.

: what?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ll6CNFVFTC8

: Please, good sir. Calm. Think back.

: When you were quite young, you resided with Abuna Prancet in the royal city of Heim.

: Sibyl...you lie!

: I wish it were so, but I speak true.

: As a child, you oft played on the grounds of Archiereus Mreuva's villa.

: ...Go on.

: You were closest to the girl who shared your birth year....

: One day, as you played by the water, this girl wandered too deep and began to drown.

: But...but that was my sister who was drowning....

: No, she saved me...I remember...

: It...was you?

: It was my eldest sister, Cerya, who fished us out.

Cerya... Cerya.. why is that name so familiar...

-----------//-----------

-----------//-----------

Oh :smith:

: How is this possible?

: I am the daughter of Mreuva, who was once Archiereus of Philaha.

: You can. You must, Levi.

: You are who you were born to be.

: Now, stand, Levi! What you are, who you are, has no bearing on who you will become!
: Surely you did not dream of a kingdom for one people only?

The lesson that Levi imparted to Ravness, returned in kind

: Let us find your father, Olivya. Have you any idea where he might be?

: What's that?

: It may seem odd, but as you rise in the ranks of the church, your duties become less of faith and more of politics.

: Men like Balbatos and Brantyn are such -- their power as Regent, or Steward, becomes more important than their devotion.

: I watched as my father dirtied his own hands... full aware of what he did.

: After Dorgalua passed away, my father lost in a struggle for power with Brantyn, and so lost his rank as Archiereus.

: But though he could now return to his faith, free from political machinations, he was not pleased.

: The teachings of god are a compass needle for the Righteous man, a way for all to live in peace and happiness.

: Throw yourself into the Maelstrom that is Governance -- as long as you follow the teachings, your course will be true.

: So... perhaps he has left to find his faith once more?

: It... is possible.

: The Temple to Philaha is in Heim... but he could not have returned there.

: Then where could he have gone? I've not heard of any other temple to Philaha in these isles.

: My father once spoke to me of an ancient shrine, a Hagia on Banhamuba.

tithin fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Nov 6, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wedgekree
Feb 20, 2013
Oooh! Story's getting good.