Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Regrettable posted:

Tinfoil got 9/7 in a pub game earlier.

I killed them extra hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Regrettable posted:

Tinfoil got 9/7 in a pub game earlier.

When you die in the game you die for real

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Tinfoil's Jason Tier listing:

• Savini
  • Jason IV, Jason III
  • Jason VIII
  • Jason IX
  • Jason II
  • Jason VI
  • Jason VII

The recent changes have resulted in counselors getting a buff, while bringing down Jason's power a bit. The changes to the minimap (repair parts visible) are much more beneficial to the counselors than the grab nerfs.

When you take the recent changes in grab with the changes to Thicc skin, any Jason with weapon damage becomes higher in priority. This is reinforced by the changes to Tommy Jarvis coming equipped with a pocket knife, further reducing the lethality of grabs. I believe it is now critically important to wound counselors prior to a grab.

Now that counselors can see items on the minimap, objective denial becomes even harder and a higher priority as well. There is no room for error, and counselors must be pressured away from cabin looting or be killed early on. As such the destruction ability and (to a lesser extent) running is a higher priority.

Savini, Manhattan, Jason III and Jason IV are currently the best pics.

Tinfoil Papercut fucked around with this message at 18:55 on Oct 26, 2017

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
Manhattan, still one of the bests!

But yeah I'm really enjoying Part IV, that guy's a beast who can run down the heartiest tryhard counselor and knock the wind out of their sails but fast. Shame that Part VI's long game has been nerfed, that Jason was my favorite because I liked letting counselor teams get hopeful and then shutting them down by the midway mark. Now it's all about hitting them hard and early.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
I think having poo poo visible makes it too easy :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I'm of the opinion that TPKs should be almost as hard for Jason as Jason kills are for the counselors. Any good Jason will still rack up plenty of kills, but you should have to be really good at plate spinning to shut down all the options. With that said, balance in this game is by necessity a tug of war, and I'm sure we'll see more adjustments, but I don't hate the direction they're taking.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

A.o.D. posted:

I'm of the opinion that TPKs should be almost as hard for Jason as Jason kills are for the counselors. Any good Jason will still rack up plenty of kills, but you should have to be really good at plate spinning to shut down all the options. With that said, balance in this game is by necessity a tug of war, and I'm sure we'll see more adjustments, but I don't hate the direction they're taking.

I'm also kind of concerned the grab nerfs will incentivise just chopping down counselors, as opposed to the cool kills.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Oh You'll Love My Toxic Love
Grimey Drawer

Hahahha holy poo poo.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Friday the 13th is half off (:20bux:) on steam if any of you who bookmarked the thread don't have it yet.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
The Xbone version really shouldn't have rain. It makes the frame rate just terrible.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Halloween DLC is also up on Steam.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
Does it rain every match now or am I just unlucky?

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Spacebump posted:

The Xbone version really shouldn't have rain. It makes the frame rate just terrible.

I played several matches with rain this weekend on Xbox without noticeable framerate dipping in match. Only time I've see it stutter or chug is if the connection is wonky.

I actually really like the rain, really adds to the ambiance of the match.

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

Skoll posted:

:siren: :siren: Friday the 13th is half off (:20bux:) on steam if any of you who bookmarked the thread don't have it yet. :siren: :siren:

Repeating this for anyone who might be interested, as it's the first time it's come on sale. The sale lasts until November 1st.

Also, the Pig Splitter Kill Pack is on Steam for $2.99. I have it installed, but it only showed up through the browser and not through the Steam client itself. :shrug:

http://store.steampowered.com/app/737990/Friday_the_13th_The_Game__Jason_Part_4_Pig_Splitter_Kill_Pack/

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
This fella added a drum track to the Retro Jason chase music and he even did it in character :allears: I already loved the Retro Jason theme, but this makes it even better

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Danaru posted:

This fella added a drum track to the Retro Jason chase music and he even did it in character :allears: I already loved the Retro Jason theme, but this makes it even better

That's badass, one of the few times I've left a like, dude deserves it.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Skoll posted:

Friday the 13th is half off (:20bux:) on steam if any of you who bookmarked the thread don't have it yet.

Well poo poo, I just bought it like 4 days ago.

These patch changes are great for counselors but I am having marginally less fun overall considering the Jason changes. Less grabs have meant longer games, sometimes spectating, less interesting kills, again sometimes spectating, and has made me not enjoy playing Jason nearly as much. This sounds like I shouldn’t be enjoying it early as much but the addition of seeing dropped items on the map makes playing counselors a lot more fun so that balances out a bit.

I don’t know if I’m in the minority but I don’t mind Jason being overpowered - that is kind of the point. He should be able to grab you and kill you in interesting ways because he is Jason. I think they should add many more complicated ways to kill Jason, leave him as he was and keep the map icons. I know that there are a lot of good Jason’s out there but here are more bad ones and it is boring playing against Jasons who really can’t do much as the counselors gets away. This is not some competitive esports game that demands ultimate balance and I don’t think it is a game where it should be balanced because it is based on movies where the bad guy slaughters teens so it should feel like a challenge to survive.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
this new tiffany costume is aces

we need more players

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I have played a few hours every night since getting the game but haven’t gotten discord yet. I am blitzstrahl on steam if you need more players and want to find me. I will get discord up eventually though.

One thing I can’t figure out (I have had steam since half-life too but always played single player games) is if someone invites me to a game how to accept. I use a controller for this game but even when alt tabbing out to steam I can’t see how to accept an invite - I found it once but when I clicked it (next to spectate their game) nothing happened. I get that a lot with steam (clicking things and nothing happening).

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

I think grabs needed to be nerfed a little but they went too far.

rio posted:

I have played a few hours every night since getting the game but haven’t gotten discord yet. I am blitzstrahl on steam if you need more players and want to find me. I will get discord up eventually though.

One thing I can’t figure out (I have had steam since half-life too but always played single player games) is if someone invites me to a game how to accept. I use a controller for this game but even when alt tabbing out to steam I can’t see how to accept an invite - I found it once but when I clicked it (next to spectate their game) nothing happened. I get that a lot with steam (clicking things and nothing happening).

Shift+Tab while in game brings up the Steam overlay and there should be a friend message window with the invite.

e: Also you should really get on Discord ASAP. That's how we organize our games.

Regrettable fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Oct 27, 2017

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
What's the grab nerf? I don't like the sound of that.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Drunken Baker posted:

What's the grab nerf? I don't like the sound of that.

Grab distance was reduced and the size of the cone was also reduced so they basically have to be directly centered in front of you and almost touching you for it to work.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

rio posted:

Well poo poo, I just bought it like 4 days ago.

If it's getting you down at all, see if you can refund it then get it again on sale, just obviously leave a note saying so in the request, steam blatantly says they're fine with people doing that in their refund policy.

Shemp the Stooge
Feb 23, 2001
I am always the high pinger on the servers I play on. (Usually Aus servers from Japan). It was already really hard for me to grab people. I am not even going to bother now unless someone runs right into me. I am not complaining, It's something they needed to fix. Fortunately, with the physical edition release, I have noticed more people from Japan playing. It's not nearly as hard when my ping is the same as everyone else's.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Phyresis posted:

this new tiffany costume is aces

we need more players

We had people playing last night, but you opted to post Overwatch lewds in the discord then take a nap.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Someone should probably add the easyanticheat workaround to the OP.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

you have a strange definition of "night," old man. we were playing without you for hours

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos

Phyresis posted:

you have a strange definition of "night," old man. we were playing without you for hours

Some of us work for a living and have to get up at 4:30 AM

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

Long nights, no peace

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to play mercy. The microdecisions is extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of the plays will go over a typical players’s head. There’s also mercys flying, which is deftly woven into her character- her staffs name draws heavily from greek literature, for instance. The mercy mains understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate how hard mercy is, to realise that mercy is not just hard- she also says something deep about LIFE. As a consequence people who call mercy mains boosted truly ARE idiots- of course they wouldn’t appreciate, for instance, the positioning in mercys playstyle “hide and rez,” which itself is a cryptic reference to hide and seek. I’m smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as mercy mains 900 IQ decisions unfolds itself on their monitor screens. What fools.. how I pity them. 😂

And yes, by the way, i DO have a mercy hentai tatto. And no, you cannot see it. It’s for the ladies’ eyes only- and even then they have to demonstrate that they’re within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand. Nothin personnel kid 😎

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK

Regrettable posted:

Grab distance was reduced and the size of the cone was also reduced so they basically have to be directly centered in front of you and almost touching you for it to work.

Oooh sound. I never telegrabbed anyway. I was worried they'd made kicking out super easy or something.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Shemp the Stooge posted:

I am always the high pinger on the servers I play on. (Usually Aus servers from Japan). It was already really hard for me to grab people. I am not even going to bother now unless someone runs right into me. I am not complaining, It's something they needed to fix. Fortunately, with the physical edition release, I have noticed more people from Japan playing. It's not nearly as hard when my ping is the same as everyone else's.

See, 'not even bother grabbing' is not where Jason needs to be at all. Chopping used to be considered cheap, now it's just the logical way to win.

I agree with the poster who said Jason should never be 'on balance' with the counselors, and I play with counselor-preferred always ticked.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Why would Jason be balanced to the counselors? Isn't that contrary to the entire loving point of an immortal zombie retard killer?

Drunken Baker
Feb 3, 2015

VODKA STYLE DRINK
The further way this game is to Dead by Daylight regarding balance the better it is.

We'll have to see how it plays out. Obviously no-one will ever grab Tommy now, but maybe that'll subtly encourage people to pick off the other counsellors first leaving him for last? IDK. Maybe he should have just spawned with a random pickup to keep Jason on his toes?

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet
I wish they'd open more spectator slots for this game. As it stands now, if there are 8 in game, any extra people on discord just have to twiddle their thumbs and hope someone quits after that round. I'm hoping we can get some more people onto the discord because it's be nice to even have like 3 or 4 people to queue up in qp when the "main" group is full.

That said, I'm hoping they tune the grab poo poo a bit more. I feel like they should have messed with grab, or added the items on map thing. Not both at the same time. But time will tell.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Ah, had my first game as Jason in a WHILE last night.

The grab nerf isn't too bad all considered, it just really makes you get clever with your powers. Twice I got the drop on some one before they knew I was even there thanks to stalk morphing and it's always good fun to wait for some one to fix the phone while you're waiting by the phone.

Did not give two shits about that boat either. Keep cars and phones on lockdown kids!

I'm still fundamentally broken as a Jason player though. I simply do not have the patients to chase after people. Way too conditioned to expect a roving gang of players out to try and kill me.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Skoll posted:

Why would Jason be balanced to the counselors? Isn't that contrary to the entire loving point of an immortal zombie retard killer?

He's an immortal retarded zombie and a killer.

I think the only retard he killed was Shelley.

Skoll
Jul 26, 2013

Grimey Drawer

joylessdivision posted:

He's an immortal retarded zombie and a killer.

I think the only retard he killed was Shelley.

I literally said the same thing. But for the sake of argument, he has killed more retards than just Shelley. Literally anyone stepping foot onto Crystal Lake after the events of Part 2 is certified retarded.

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

King Vidiot posted:

Manhattan, still one of the bests!

But yeah I'm really enjoying Part IV, that guy's a beast who can run down the heartiest tryhard counselor and knock the wind out of their sails but fast. Shame that Part VI's long game has been nerfed, that Jason was my favorite because I liked letting counselor teams get hopeful and then shutting them down by the midway mark. Now it's all about hitting them hard and early.

the boat is faster than he is, so you absolutely have to get ahead of it an position. Otherwise I think IV is the best (and I can use entirely weapon and environmental kills because I bought the exra kill pack, and that's always a good time).

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
The new kills for Part 4 are awesome, by the way.

The "throat slice" is one of the fastest in the game, quick and effective.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

TheAnomaly posted:

the boat is faster than he is, so you absolutely have to get ahead of it an position. Otherwise I think IV is the best (and I can use entirely weapon and environmental kills because I bought the exra kill pack, and that's always a good time).

I had a IV match where they got the boat started and yeah, I spawned almost at the exit as they were almost there and I only just barely nabbed them before they got out. Then annoyingly enough they all thought it'd be a great idea to keep loving going for that boat over and over again, making me have to drown over half the team instead of seeing the neat part IV kills I hadn't gotten to do yet.

• Locked thread