Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Part of me is going to be sad about not being able to find a +200% border pop planet any more and asserting dominion over a sizeable fraction of the galaxy owing to my ability to broadcast my superior culture at anyone who comes withing ten thousand light years.

My superior culture being an infinite loop of smaschelbel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lprsti99
Apr 7, 2011

Everything's coming up explodey!

Pillbug
So, what's the safest way to go into a coma so I can Rip Van Winkle my way to patch day? :fap:

MuffinsAndPie
May 20, 2015

This is gonna be as big or bigger than EU4's Common Sense fort and development update isn't it?

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Stellaris: One Starbase is Common Sense

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

Do you think this is funny?

Splicer posted:

I think I said this before, but I think I'd like that you can start with hyperlanes or warp, but they don't improve much beyond how they start out and the first big leap is when you first research the one you didn't start with, dump both on your ships, and can then use whichever is more advantageous in each situation.

I like this idea and also the idea of wormhole FTL being completely down to station location and not any ship component.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

GunnerJ posted:

I like this idea and also the idea of wormhole FTL being completely down to station location and not any ship component.

IIRC wormholes currently allow slightly more powerful ships because wormhole drives don't use any power.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

OwlFancier posted:

IIRC wormholes currently allow slightly more powerful ships because wormhole drives don't use any power.

This is correct, but I think it's only 30 power to run the other drives, so not a giant difference. Instead you have to layout the up front mineral cost for stations, which more than balances it out.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

PittTheElder posted:

This is correct, but I think it's only 30 power to run the other drives, so not a giant difference. Instead you have to layout the up front mineral cost for stations, which more than balances it out.

Oh true it's not very significant, I just liked the little attention to detail.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Unfortunately the Fallen Empire to my East "asked" me to become its signatory, and I was afraid to refuse what with the angry southern federation of slavers on 70% of my borders.

So does that mean I can't research any AI or droid techs now? If I want to research a tech the fallen empire doesn't want me to, will I be warned before they get pissed off?

On the bright side of being a signatory...the southern slavers were also dumb enough to refuse the Awoken Empire's offer, and declared war. Thanks to that I declared war on them in return and snagged 8 planets. :)

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Well, the the thing I was getting at is that in this system any ship within range of a friendly wormhole station can use it. Or something similar.

StealthArcher
Jan 10, 2010

Artificer posted:

Unfortunately the Fallen Empire to my East "asked" me to become its signatory, and I was afraid to refuse what with the angry southern federation of slavers on 70% of my borders.

So does that mean I can't research any AI or droid techs now? If I want to research a tech the fallen empire doesn't want me to, will I be warned before they get pissed off?

On the bright side of being a signatory...the southern slavers were also dumb enough to refuse the Awoken Empire's offer, and declared war. Thanks to that I declared war on them in return and snagged 8 planets. :)

Now just wait 20-30 years for the AA to get fat, slovenly and useless, and then carve his porky rear end up too.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

I've never seen the FE decadence thing kick in because they usually end up annexing everyone. Maybe their first war after awakening they'll just demand someone sign the treaty, but usually they just demand every planet be ceded or leave a little useless rump.

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

Fallen Empires don't care about what techs you research anymore iirc, so you should still be fine to invent droids and synths and whatnot (kinda surprised you haven't already at the point that FE's are waking up)

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

Beyond excited for spaceforts update. Can't wait to see the FTL shakeup.

Baronjutter posted:

I've never seen the FE decadence thing kick in because they usually end up annexing everyone. Maybe their first war after awakening they'll just demand someone sign the treaty, but usually they just demand every planet be ceded or leave a little useless rump.

If you're still playing on small maps like you said you were earlier, I imagine you never will. Decadence takes time and territory held into account if I remember right, so on a smaller map with fewer worlds, yeah, either they'll squish you or you'll squish them, and that will be it.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

Artificer posted:

Agreeing to subjugation by an AE has different effects, based on what ethos that AE has.

It sounds like the one you just ran into is the Materialist ones, that really don't like sapient Robots. You can still research whatever you want, but your policies will be locked into settings that will prevent you from building synths, but you might still be able to build robots and droids.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Not knowing how to play the game and develop my research combined with fighting against two enemy empires on my borders meant that I have been developing guns and armor instead of AI. I have droids but no positronic yet. I will get that next. I need the research boost.

Mitsuo
Jul 4, 2007
What does this box do?
So i just got this game on steam for $20 for the Nova edition. How enjoyable is the game to someone who plays Eve and used to play a lot of CK2/EU4 a couple of years ago?

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!

Mitsuo posted:

So i just got this game on steam for $20 for the Nova edition. How enjoyable is the game to someone who plays Eve and used to play a lot of CK2/EU4 a couple of years ago?

It's a little like a cross between a 4x Civ/MOO game and EU4. You blob. The diplomacy game is pretty shallow and core gameplay isn't much beyond "blob", but there's a great deal of flavor around exploring, ancient elder races, doomstacks invading from other dimensions or other galaxies, and a sort of pessimistic tone of building atop the ruins of endless fallen empires.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
I'm gonna buy this game tonight, but am paralyzed by choice. Is this like a Civilization scenario where the dlc is really important or can i just mess with the vanilla game which is perfectly serviceable and maybe get the 47 dlcs later if I want?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If I'm driven out of my starbase, can I leave a small icon of my civilization's old athletic contests and get a huge Influence pop if I manage to retake it later?

imweasel09
May 26, 2014

counterfeitsaint posted:

I'm gonna buy this game tonight, but am paralyzed by choice. Is this like a Civilization scenario where the dlc is really important or can i just mess with the vanilla game which is perfectly serviceable and maybe get the 47 dlcs later if I want?

Leviathans and Utopia both have at least one feature I can't imagine playing the game without, synthetic dawn is really neat but is entirely about machine empires so if that's not your jam then don't bother. The Plantoids pack is entirely cosmetic so its about how much you want plant portraits.

Blorange
Jan 31, 2007

A wizard did it

2nding the anniversary edition, it basically gets you the plant portraits for free on top of the expansion features.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

When Fallen Empires force you at plasma-point to become their vassals/signatories, does that count towards the victory conditions for them?

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

counterfeitsaint posted:

Get Leviathans for sure, it makes a huge difference in adding random cool poo poo around the map, plus it allows you to balance your economy way better than you could otherwise. Plus it's the cheap one.

Utopia is less necessary, but it's super fun.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

OwlFancier posted:

I like that this appears to completely decouple territory and colonization.

Because your ability to hold territory is entirely dictated by who owns the system outpost and how well they can back that claim up with guns.

So you can call dibs on space without any planets in it, just by plopping down posts and building a fleet base somewhere nearby.

Presumably at this point, planets are just like really good resource nodes.

Mister Adequate posted:

Well, Cherryh is going to be a big one :stare:

It's appropriate that it's called Cherryh because I'm fairly certain that with this update fully space-borne empires (interstellar nomads, purely station/habitat-dwellers, ect) will become much closer to being possible. I mean, that's the kind of radically different empire structure that I'd like to see.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
How the hell am I supposed to win a war against two AIs? My doomstack is bigger than either of theirs, but as soon as I get them in combat, they flee. I can never pin them down and never meaningfully attrit their fleet strength. Meanwhile, when I'm chasing one, the other is singing and taking another of my worlds halfway down my empire. It's even worse because one has wormhole travel while I have hyper lanes, and he just appears places in the middle of my territory sometimes.

On paper, I should be winning, but I've won like a dozen fleet engagements and every time they just flee after I've stripped corvettes and destroyers and return in a few months to blow up another of my stations. Space combat in this game seems cheap and frustrating.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

Take their planets. You'll take some losses of spaceports but so long as you can prevent them from taking planets while occupying the planets of your enemies, you'll win.

Heer98
Apr 10, 2009
Tried that, it just lost me planets. I built defensive armies up to the cap on my border worlds, but they were showing up with 40-50 transports behind their fleets. With the limits on both fortresses and defensive armies, the game really seems to force you to use doomstacks to accomplish anything decisive. But then they go and let the AI run away from every battle it starts to lose.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

TsarZiedonis posted:

How the hell am I supposed to win a war against two AIs? My doomstack is bigger than either of theirs, but as soon as I get them in combat, they flee. I can never pin them down and never meaningfully attrit their fleet strength. Meanwhile, when I'm chasing one, the other is singing and taking another of my worlds halfway down my empire. It's even worse because one has wormhole travel while I have hyper lanes, and he just appears places in the middle of my territory sometimes.

On paper, I should be winning, but I've won like a dozen fleet engagements and every time they just flee after I've stripped corvettes and destroyers and return in a few months to blow up another of my stations. Space combat in this game seems cheap and frustrating.
Pick a planet, conquer it. Leave some ground troops behind, pick another planet. If you see them bombarding one of your planets, nip over and drive them off. Repeat until they either attack you to stop you taking their planets or you've occupied enough planets that you can sue for white peace.

Go for the wormhole guy and nuke all his wormhole stations while you're at it.

Playstation 4
Apr 25, 2014
Unlockable Ben
Emerg jumps should be 90% of remaining health rather than 25% of maximum.

You already appea r at a port anyway, make them and you pay in time for saving those minerals.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Splicer posted:

Go for the wormhole guy and nuke all his wormhole stations while you're at it.
You can't, it's impossible. They will have a station in every system and as soon as you leave one they'll endlessly send out construction ships to rebuild them.

Psycho Landlord
Oct 10, 2012

What are you gonna do, dance with me?

TsarZiedonis posted:

the game really seems to force you to use doomstacks to accomplish anything decisive

It really doesn't. If your fleet is powerful enough to take either of theirs without any serious issue, you can afford to split it and hold down two locations at once - fleet engagements take a long enough time that you should have no issues reinforcing whichever one gets into combat, and it will allow you to defend territory and take worlds at the same time. Eventually, as the warscore ticks up, the AI will realize it has to commit to a decisive engagement and will do so, and then you can break them.

Doomstacking is only the answer in situations where you have only a marginal advantage over the AI fleets you're fighting and when your own territory isn't directly threatened. In a war where defense is an issue, splitting your fleets and hitting/defending multiple targets is your greatest advantage over the AI. Don't play their game, play yours.

Aethernet
Jan 28, 2009

This is the Captain...

Our glorious political masters have, in their wisdom, decided to form an alliance with a rag-tag bunch of freedom fighters right when the Federation has us at a tactical disadvantage. Unsurprisingly, this has resulted in the Feds firing on our vessels...

Damn you Huxley!

Grimey Drawer

TsarZiedonis posted:

Use defence stations at the centre of systems - ideally fortresses with lots of armour and hull regen. Guard your constructor while they're building up, and once you have a decent number position your fleet so you can swoop in a single jump to whichever system they attack. You'll catch their fleet.

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Poil posted:

I hate trying to play while being bombarded with how awesome things are going to be in the next big dlc patch, again. :f5:

Why waste time with displacement?

:toot:

Yay, processing.

https://i.imgur.com/JjjDHwu.mp4

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Man taking down a FE is so satisfying. Or would that be a FFE now? Enjoy being served suckers.

Rincewinds posted:

Yay, processing.
Anything wrong with genocide by cannery? :v:

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸
It looks like they're crying :gonk:

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT

Splicer posted:

It looks like they're crying :gonk:

Silly biological engines just think they have feelings.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zIAvQa9v9Xk

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Oct 27, 2017

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

That level of Quake 4 was hosed up man.

GunnerJ
Aug 1, 2005

counterfeitsaint posted:

That level of Quake 4 was hosed up man.

lol glad I wasn't the only one who thought of that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I've noticed that wars are much easier to win when you have at least two fleets. One to attack, another to ward off the annoying backdoor humpers. That also sadly means you need to way overbuild your army before starting a war and pick the easiest opponents first.

• Locked thread