Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?

Cyrano4747 posted:

Whattup TCG buddy. Played the poo poo out of that in middle/early high school.

I made some friends in the cafeteria when they called me Inner Sphere scum for having an IS vehicle deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Myrmidongs
Oct 26, 2010

Skoll posted:

She's going to tell us to buy some Mech Crates for a chance at a High Rarity mech!

It isn't happening. They weren't in Xcom 2 and we all know this is just a remake of that.

Wait.... I've never played Xcom 2... there weren't crates... right?

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

Myrmidongs posted:

It isn't happening. They weren't in Xcom 2 and we all know this is just a remake of that.

Not of the DLC lootbox variety, no. Missions were full of crates and cratelike objects, though. Resources mechanics!

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
Mechwarrior, collect that lostech crate in 3 turns before Comstar destroys it!

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
The color "pink paint" is lostech, spend $20 real money to unlock.

Paingod556
Nov 8, 2011

Not a problem, sir

Myrmidongs posted:

Nope, but thats ok because it was modded in.

Look for Grimmys Loot Box in the workshop. Hopefully the guy who updated it for WotC does so again for Battletech

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Psion posted:

Mechwarrior, collect that lostech crate in 3 turns before Comstar destroys it!

At least that would be thematically appropriate.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Taerkar posted:

At least that would be thematically appropriate.

and if we're being honest, completely believable in the setting.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

I know that when I've run games there's been more than a few times when pirates just happened to strike the planet in greater than usual numbers shortly after a LosTech cache was found. Trying to steal it for themselves of course :ninja:

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Only after HBS promised no more Q&A sessions do I realise I have an actual question: is the persistent merc campaign system try to scale infinitely in difficulty, or will it let the player break free of resource constraints and start victory lapping until you stop being silly and start a new game?

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

Alchenar posted:

Only after HBS promised no more Q&A sessions do I realise I have an actual question: is the persistent merc campaign system try to scale infinitely in difficulty, or will it let the player break free of resource constraints and start victory lapping until you stop being silly and start a new game?

If I recall, missions have a difficulty rating and with the highest presenting a challenge for even the best-equipped unit. I'd assume that once you're into the endless portion of the game, you'll need to take a lot of those high rated assignments to meet your upkeep needs.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Also, we don't know how they are limiting how many mechs you take on a mission (contract "drop weight" requirements, a hard limit of 1 lance, etc) but we can be 100% sure that some kind of limit is going to be in there. By the time you hit the end game you might be rolling deep with 15 atlases strapped to the hull of your space ship, but you can only take so much with you to the surface. That kind of limit makes the total theoretical strength of your unit kind of meaningless as far as the difficulty of individual missions goes.

Erd
Jun 6, 2011
Is the custom 3D portrait stretch goal still going to be in the game, or did it get dropped? I can’t help but vaguely remember reading it’d been abandoned.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

My understanding is that we're limited to one lance under player control, plus fire support.

I'm imagining hypothetical maximum Player strength as a higher tonnage lance with high quality parts and whatever Star League gear you've been able beg, borrow, or steal backed up by some Long Toms and Aerospace Fighters.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

The last Q&A actually answers that question. Depending on your location and how far along in the game you are, different difficulty rating missions will be available. However, the meaning of a difficulty rating won't change as the game goes on, so a difficulty 1 mission will always be something like some vehicles and a couple of easy 'Mechs.

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Ardlen posted:

The last Q&A actually answers that question. Depending on your location and how far along in the game you are, different difficulty rating missions will be available. However, the meaning of a difficulty rating won't change as the game goes on, so a difficulty 1 mission will always be something like some vehicles and a couple of easy 'Mechs.

Just some little vehicles, should be no problem.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

"Just vehicles?" said the mercenary commander.
"It should be no biggie..." mentioned the contract negotiator.

"I got bad feeling about this." said the mechwarrior as he stepped off the Leopard, for the last time...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

I have to admit I love that both of the FASA properties I know well, Shadowrun & Battletech, are rife with people who will screw you in the contract if they think they can reasonably get away with it. This is 100% a staple of every game I run now, and it makes the players super paranoid.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

aniviron posted:

I have to admit I love that both of the FASA properties I know well, Shadowrun & Battletech, are rife with people who will screw you in the contract if they think they can reasonably get away with it. This is 100% a staple of every game I run now, and it makes the players super paranoid.

Never trust Mr Johnson

hooman
Oct 11, 2007

This guy seems legit.
Fun Shoe
Never deal with a DRG-5N.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich
One of the table top Battletech campaigns I played back in the day had us as a vehicle merc company, it was fun trying to down 'mechs with my Harassers and a couple suicidal Savannah Masters.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Dreadwroth posted:

One of the table top Battletech campaigns I played back in the day had us as a vehicle merc company, it was fun trying to down 'mechs with my Harassers and a couple suicidal Savannah Masters.

I think you mean Savannah Rammers.

Amechwarrior
Jan 29, 2007

Jordan was in London the other day and that meet didn't seem to have the same mini-NDA the San Francisco one did. An attendee wrote up a report on what was talked about :

https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/10256

Main things:

Beta and Main branches might be too diverged to meetup in the next Beta update.

Visual ranges should move out slightly compared to beta2. Base LoS around 300m in current dev branch.

Lunar (vacuum atmosphere) maps won't instantly kill your pilots once the head is breached. Vacuum also poses a heat dissipation problem as it would IRL.

A bundle of campaign tidbits expanding on some stuff we already knew about, but worth the read.

Stomping on vehicles looks great!

Overall, I get a feeling they are pushing the main branch work up front and the next beta update on the back-burner. SP seems to be comping together in the past month or so but I don't think it is anywhere near being complete or even at balance/tuning stages.

EDIT: Nice dev post about Maps/Biomes in that thread:
https://community.battletechgame.com/forums/threads/10256/comments/196529

HBS_CaptKerberos posted:

We have more than 7 maps. I would know, cuz I made more than 7... >.>
As Bubbasan pointed out, some of the Arena maps are from the same biome, to show the diversity of spaces we can make in a given biome.

Jordan was clarifying how many Biomes we have. To think about it another way, that's how many Environment Types we have for our maps. We have multiple maps for each biome type, with a distribution of map numbers that closely resembles the percentages of planetary bodies in our corner of space that would actually support such environments. (We really think some of this stuff through! :grin:)

I have created literal 'scores' of maps. We'll ship with plenty, and that doesn't even include the awesome story maps that Tyler, Kevin, Andrew and the environment team are working on, which are unique to the campaign.

Believe me, you'll have plenty of interesting places to explore in the Rimward Periphery when we launch. (Assuming you can afford the jump ship payment to get around! :moneybag:)

Amechwarrior fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Nov 10, 2017

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

The impression I have is that they have a list of milestones they have to hit by the christmas break and the crunch is extremely hard.

vorebane
Feb 2, 2009

"I like Ur and Kavodel and Enki being nice to people for some reason."

Wrong Voter amongst wrong voters
Ah, that makes me sad, crunch is really hard on people. I'd rather wait longer for the game.

Dreadwroth
Dec 12, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Kanos posted:

I think you mean Savannah Rammers.

Hahaha yes.
Alternatively, Suicide Machines.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Another kickstarter blast just went out. Basically info about the london trip, plus a link to a forum full of screen shots.

The real interesting thing, though, is a video of a play through of one of the very early campaign missions. Apparently that's coming together nicely, and is one of the things they've been showing off to media people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIGmwTcR2Q8

Here's the production update part of the email:

quote:

Things are rolling around here! We have the entire singleplayer campaign and mercenary simulation fully assembled and now we’re working through the game chapter-by-chapter, screen-by-screen, feature-by-feature to get everything to a shippable level.

Most mornings, Mike (Game Director) leads playtests/critiques of BATTLETECH in our break room. He holds them in our break room so everyone on the team feels comfortable wandering in and hearing what’s being said. He and Kiva (Lead Designer) determine what they’re going to look at ahead of time and invite the people responsible for that section of the game to play together and collaborate on a plan for improving things. This visibility is key to improvement. When you’re in the thick of making a game, it can be challenging to step back and play it from an audience member’s point of view.

The whole team is methodically working through every part of the game to “up-level” it - missions are getting second and third drafts, designer-created maps are going through full art passes, temporary voice-overs are being replaced with professional actors in missions and cinematics, quiet missions are suddenly filled with dramatic music, and programmer-created interfaces are getting the full art and audio treatment.

It’s a ton of intense work and the whole team meets briefly for announcements and general direction every day before breaking up into small groups for tight communication and progress updates. After that, it’s heads-down for the rest of the day. We try to keep meetings to a minimum and if we have to have one, we do our best to keep it tight and action-oriented.

In addition to all of this, a few members of the team have been diligently progressing on our multiplayer network infrastructure, analyzing data and updating the Double-Secret Multiplayer Beta with important changes. Expect a separate update on that soon.

There’s still a lot of work to do (including tons of balance work) but we can see the next milepost up ahead - the plan is to be feature and content complete by the end of the year, so we can go into full-on bug fixing and polish mode after a much needed break. As Jordan noted in our mid-August update, all indications are that Paradox & HBS will release BATTLETECH in early 2018.

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

I liked the enemy comp (except for the last fight, which was basically pointless) and map design, though the enemy AI wasn't all that hot.

And I hope that's not the expected quality of the script for the whole game. It wasn't great and the VA was lackluster.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

:swoon:

DatonKallandor
Aug 21, 2009

"I can no longer sit back and allow nationalist shitposting, nationalist indoctrination, nationalist subversion, and the German nationalist conspiracy to sap and impurify all of our precious game balance."

I love the improved weapon effects, they look amazing (the debris flinging off autocannon hits, the sparkle on the laser hits, the missile miss dust clouds, etc.). The morale system also looks pretty cool and killing turret generators is brining back all those good Mech Commander memories. The only thing that was slightly off-putting was the voice acting for the miner man - all the other VO was good.

DatonKallandor fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 15, 2017

spiritual bypass
Feb 19, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Wicked Them Beats posted:

And I hope that's not the expected quality of the script for the whole game. It wasn't great and the VA was lackluster.

It was exactly as cheesy as MW2:Mercs from my childhood and I approve of it

Skippy McPants
Mar 19, 2009

If it doesn't sound like 80's Sci-fi shlock, then it ain't Battletech.

And speaking of, I will be disappointed if there isn't a special event that ends with a Robot Jox style fist bump.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Skippy McPants posted:

If it doesn't sound like 80's Sci-fi shlock, then it ain't Battletech.

And speaking of, I will be disappointed if there isn't a special event that ends with a Robot Jox style fist bump.

Considering the lead game play designer has been posting in this thread I think there might be a few fun references and sly winks to fun things.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)
Given that this is the company that wrote Shadowrun Dragonfall, I'm not overly concerned about the writing. This seems like one of the very, VERY first missions, introducing a few key concepts: corporations are dicks, be scared of a backstab, some characterization for your staff, and a few other things.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Sky Shadowing posted:

Given that this is the company that wrote Shadowrun Dragonfall, I'm not overly concerned about the writing. This seems like one of the very, VERY first missions, introducing a few key concepts: corporations are dicks, be scared of a backstab, some characterization for your staff, and a few other things.

I think this is also going to introduce the very early main goal of the game - get some money. One of the articles indicated you start heavily in debt with a loan to pay off, and then you don't get paid from this mission. I get a feeling that Kintaro and Shadowhawk might not be hanging around if you can't pay them once this is resolved.

Phrosphor
Feb 25, 2007

Urbanisation

Double post, but I wanted to share this. There is some really cool little effects in this build:

https://i.imgur.com/NXtxiSQ.mp4

I am talking about the lightning bolt ricocheting off the rock as the shot skims it. Looks really cool.

Phrosphor fucked around with this message at 02:44 on Nov 16, 2017

Wicked Them Beats
Apr 1, 2007

Moralists don't really *have* beliefs. Sometimes they stumble on one, like on a child's toy left on the carpet. The toy must be put away immediately. And the child reprimanded.

To be clear, I'm fine with schlock in my sci-fi. They're giant battle robots punching each other; I'm not expecting Shakespeare.

Thinking more about it what bothers me is that whole last segment with the return to the platform and the betrayal. That a betrayal is coming is obvious, but it's a boring betrayal. "HAHA my turrets are locked on, you're doomed unless you blow up that turret generator I just let you close to within five feet of!" The game JUST taught me about shooting generators, so putting me in an even simpler situation for dealing with turrets isn't interesting. I would have liked it better if the betrayal happened immediately upon completing the mission and you had to choose to either close on the generator while under fire or play LRM tag with the turrets while the tanks advance. Basically, if there were ANY tactical considerations beyond "ok, shoot generator, step on tanks, GG" it would feel a lot better.

I'm liking how the game is shaping up I just found this mission a little bland, is all.

Sky Shadowing
Feb 13, 2012

At least we're not the Thalmor (yet)

To be clear, I'm fine with schlock in my sci-fi. They're giant battle robots punching each other; I'm not expecting Shakespeare.

Thinking more about it what bothers me is that whole last segment with the return to the platform and the betrayal. That a betrayal is coming is obvious, but it's a boring betrayal. "HAHA my turrets are locked on, you're doomed unless you blow up that turret generator I just let you close to within five feet of!" The game JUST taught me about shooting generators, so putting me in an even simpler situation for dealing with turrets isn't interesting. I would have liked it better if the betrayal happened immediately upon completing the mission and you had to choose to either close on the generator while under fire or play LRM tag with the turrets while the tanks advance. Basically, if there were ANY tactical considerations beyond "ok, shoot generator, step on tanks, GG" it would feel a lot better.

I'm liking how the game is shaping up I just found this mission a little bland, is all.

To be fair I'm not going to expect a bunch of idiot miners to be smart about their betrayal.

Zaodai
May 23, 2009

Death before dishonor?
Your terms are accepted.

It is a really unsatisfying and obvious betrayal either way, I think we can all agree on that. The analogy I made in discord is that it's like hiring a guy to bodyguard you, watching him single-handedly kick the poo poo out of a bar full of angry bikers, and then when he comes for his pay being like "GIMME YOUR WALLET, BITCH!". It fails on every level (and the miner's VO sucked rear end.)

The rest of the mission was cool though. Love the desert biome, it looks amazing. Still don't really like the PPC effect.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Judging by a few screens they showed and their comments, I'm pretty sure that mission is basically one of the tutorial/prologue missions. You're apparently still "slumming" it in a single Leopard at that point.*

* Nevermind just owning a Leopard probably makes you above average as far as no-name merc outfits go.