Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

babypolis posted:

didnt you go for a budget build. also how big is your monitor thats a pretty big factor

yeah, and it's running at a stable 45fps which is playable for sure. pretty good game so far

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Smibelungensmied or nothing

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

Do I unlock exclusionary goods at the Silver or Gold preorder tier, or does that just come with the season pass?

I think you can only get celebi that way

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

it's funny how transparently they tried to make this game appear to be like witcher 3. it even has knockoff witcher vision (i mean, uh, animus vision!) to highlight treasure you can loot, it has the weird road-following horse thing, it has the job boards, and it's clear they tried to at least give context for the various activities this time too, so there's usually a person in the world who gives you something to do with a little story behind it rather than just expecting you, as the player, to clear out every area by yourself. ultimately you still clear icons on a map, but at least you get to meet people with little stories while you do it.

also, areas are no longer gated by climbing big towers or whatever, but by your level. some areas have much higher levels and are intended for late-game play, but you CAN ride there and get murdered if you want. maybe if you could get some loot from an area like that it'd make you powerful enough to hang there? not sure.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

regardless of it being a witcher 3 knockoff, is it any good?

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

corn in the bible posted:

also, areas are no longer gated by climbing big towers or whatever, but by your level. some areas have much higher levels and are intended for late-game play, but you CAN ride there and get murdered if you want. maybe if you could get some loot from an area like that it'd make you powerful enough to hang there? not sure.

Why would they copy the worst part of witcher 3, the horrible level scaling

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

What happens if you try to stealth kill an enemy much higher level than you? Does it just fail or something?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Saint Freak posted:

What happens if you try to stealth kill an enemy much higher level than you? Does it just fail or something?

it may do a bunch of damage but not kill them. same with arrow headshots.

doingitwrong
Jul 27, 2013

it's funny how transparently they tried to make this game appear to be like witcher 3. it even has knockoff witcher vision (i mean, uh, animus vision!) to highlight treasure you can loot, it has the weird road-following horse thing, it has the job boards, and it's clear they tried to at least give context for the various activities this time too, so there's usually a person in the world who gives you something to do with a little story behind it rather than just expecting you, as the player, to clear out every area by yourself. ultimately you still clear icons on a map, but at least you get to meet people with little stories while you do it.

Glowing vision to see clues and interactables has been a part of AssCreed since 2007. Except for the horse, the rest of what you describe sounds like Syndicate. So it sounds like not much has changed after all?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I liked the post someone made once that the original Assassins (and Assassin's Creed games) were about destroying social hierarchies and showing everyone that all men bleed equally if you go up and stab them, but in the new game the Templars are right and there are people that are literally harder, better, faster, stronger than normal people, in a higher tier

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
so man do the tougher enemies that you can't flawlessly counter-kill into a big pile of useless dead guards every time without fail actually encourage stealth more this time? And is the stealth gameplay worth a drat?

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

doingitwrong posted:

Glowing vision to see clues and interactables has been a part of AssCreed since 2007. Except for the horse, the rest of what you describe sounds like Syndicate. So it sounds like not much has changed after all?

i guess fundamentally it's still assassin's creed, yeah. it's a lot of window dressing, but it is helpful

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Super Mario Odyssey is godlike.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I liked the post someone made once that the original Assassins (and Assassin's Creed games) were about destroying social hierarchies and showing everyone that all men bleed equally if you go up and stab them, but in the new game the Templars are right and there are people that are literally harder, better, faster, stronger than normal people, in a higher tier

I've got this thing where I'm fine with RPG combat, stats, damage numbers and all that in RPGs but I can't stand it in other genres. If I aim and shoot someone in the head with a bow/gun/bowgun I want them to die, unless they're an enemy type that's visually heavily armored, or a big monster or something. I don't want to have to leave due to low level and come back with a functionally identical bow, but this one has gold trim, to get the job done.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

All games are RPGs now

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

I thought they threw out that "animus" framing device bullshit a game or two ago?

In Training posted:

Super Mario Odyssey is godlike.

God just arrived on my doorstep :dance:

raditts fucked around with this message at 15:50 on Oct 27, 2017

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Mordja posted:

I've got this thing where I'm fine with RPG combat, stats, damage numbers and all that in RPGs but I can't stand it in other genres. If I aim and shoot someone in the head with a bow/gun/bowgun I want them to die, unless they're an enemy type that's visually heavily armored, or a big monster or something. I don't want to have to leave due to low level and come back with a functionally identical bow, but this one has gold trim, to get the job done.

I am of almost the opposite mind where the numbers actually make things feel better for me in this regard, because I feel the same way about headshots in an FPS and completely hate BioShock Infinite for dropping the ball on it, but if it's a Borderlands/Destiny/Division thing where there are visible stats involved, then it feels less bad to me.

Also I tolerated Witcher 3's combat and looting system because it was gating the really good story, so it's gonna be interesting to see something like it try to stand alone, because I already know the story is definitely not going to prop AssOr up.

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

Sakurazuka posted:

All games are RPGs now

I'm an RPG

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

doingitwrong posted:

I am only semi good with names/pictures but I think you are the goon who will care about this:

They just announced an expansion for Shadow of War which includes a lady elf assassin archer who will become an unlockable skin for the main game. So come Feb 2018, your strict ‘can I play as a girl with a bow’ criteria will be met in SoW.

:hellyeah:

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

you've never been gated by towers, those were always were things to defog the map/show points of interest

you tended to be gated by story progression, but they've been toning that down for a long time (you can basically go anywhere in Istanbul by the end of the first sequence or two in revelations), and there's no gates on going anywhere and doing anything in Unity which pissed a ton of people off because you can run into hordes of high level enemies in 5 minutes if you go the wrong way after starting in Paris

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Life is an RPG, when you think about it. But is it a jRPG or wRPG?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

you have one of my favorite avatars

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Reason I like Max Payne 3 #351616: Every single enemy dies in one headshot. Every single one. No matter what. If they're wearing a helmet, one will pop the helmet off and they're dead on shot #2. Sometimes you can do it in one with a shotgun. The game even encourages it by slowly armoring up enemies so that shooting them in the body isn't as effective, then the legs and arms, but headshots always do it in one.

edit: The only reason the two boss fights in the entire game happen in the first place because they have the high ground and you can't shoot them in the head, and they sure as hell die when you do get an angle on them. The first boss can be killed without even doing the 'puzzle' gimmick if you're good enough to hit the tiny openings you get, and the second one is a dude that's like four and a half feet tall so he can hide behind a riot shield no trouble.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

exploded mummy posted:

you've never been gated by towers, those were always were things to defog the map/show points of interest

you tended to be gated by story progression, but they've been toning that down for a long time (you can basically go anywhere in Istanbul by the end of the first sequence or two in revelations), and there's no gates on going anywhere and doing anything in Unity which pissed a ton of people off because you can run into hordes of high level enemies in 5 minutes if you go the wrong way after starting in Paris

Everyone thought this was really cool in Morrowind!

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

raditts posted:

you have one of my favorite avatars

thank you, it is significantly better than my posts

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

I thought they threw out that "animus" framing device bullshit a game or two ago?

nah, the animus framing is still there, but the post-Desmond pretense in 4 and Rogue was that you were working with Abstergo as a researcher for Abstergo's game development studio who apparently have commercialized the Animus into some sort of VR/SAO type home console

Liberation/Unity/Syndicate were all framed as games that are being played inside of the new Animus

not sure about origins, its installing on the PS4 now...

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

CJacobs posted:

Reason I like Max Payne 3 #351616: Every single enemy dies in one headshot. Every single one. No matter what. If they're wearing a helmet, one will pop the helmet off and they're dead on shot #2. Sometimes you can do it in one with a shotgun. The game even encourages it by slowly armoring up enemies so that shooting them in the body isn't as effective, then the legs and arms, but headshots always do it in one.

This was my favorite thing about the Syphon Filter games on PS1. That, and being able to also taser dudes in the face until their body bursts into flames.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
There are a couple segments in Max Payne 3 where you fight enemies wearing bomb suits, which have full riot helmets and all that you can't shoot off. The solution? Shoot them in their head a thousand times, or feel like a real badass by pulling off a single precision shot on their completely exposed neck. It also helps that the shooting in Max Payne 3 feels fantastic.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

raditts posted:

This was my favorite thing about the Syphon Filter games on PS1. That, and being able to also taser dudes in the face until their body bursts into flames.

its definitely a thing in Far Cry 3 et all, short of maybe some bosses in Primal

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

exploded mummy posted:

I mean, you can just do whatever and even ignore them, because as far as I can tell they don't do anything except give you more fast travel points.

exploded mummy posted:

nah, the animus framing is still there, but the post-Desmond pretense in 4 and Rogue was that you were working with Abstergo as a researcher for Abstergo's game development studio who apparently have commercialized the Animus into some sort of VR/SAO type home console

Liberation/Unity/Syndicate were all framed as games that are being played inside of the new Animus

not sure about origins, its installing on the PS4 now...

the new one is about some lady in a cave who's trying to find something cool in the past to get her a job at abstergo, but who will presumably find some Secret Truth and join the assassins because that always happens. but like I said all I've seen of her is like, a five minute scene, so maybe there's more stuff going on there or she'll get to do some cool things in the end.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

raditts posted:

it's f-f-f-friday mothafuckas, and I am ready for my Splatwon machine to become a Smodyssey machine

Mario's Jorts and Jersey costume really captures the "aging stoner" look in a way I wouldn't have expected from a mainline Nintendo title.

Mordja posted:

Any time I see footage of The Division it involves shooting a person and making huge, five-digit damage numbers pop up. I saw a headshot do like seven digits and you gotta think, what's the point?

Olive!
Mar 16, 2015

It's not a ghost, but probably a 'living corpse'. The 'living dead' with a hell of a lot of bloodlust...
Low-numbers games are the best, like Paper Mario.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Olive! posted:

Low-numbers games are the best, like Paper Mario.

:agreed:

I play plenty of super-high number RPGs (hi there, Valkyrie Profile), but I'll always love the low-number ones where your characters never even break triple digit HP. I want to see that I did 30 damage with an attack and go :eyepop: at it.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

raditts posted:

I really liked Syphon Filter's damage system where you have a bar that shows how close enemies are to damaging you. It gave the game an action movie feeling where you're at your safest charging through a hail of bullets just like Rambo.

smuh
Feb 21, 2011

CJacobs posted:

There are a couple segments in Max Payne 3 where you fight enemies wearing bomb suits, which have full riot helmets and all that you can't shoot off. The solution? Shoot them in their head a thousand times, or feel like a real badass by pulling off a single precision shot on their completely exposed neck. It also helps that the shooting in Max Payne 3 feels fantastic.
Except in the console versions, where the aiming is floaty and they actually had a mother loving auto aim option in it like Rockstar always has because they are for some reason completely unable to make aiming feel in any sense accurate or good in any of their games (console versions, that is). Which baffles my god drat mind considering the money they spend on their games, you'd think they would hire one guy to test the aiming and fiddle with different settings until it feels natural like in 99% of modern console shooters.

(also I didn't like MP3 that much in general, but that's just because I think MP2 at the time of its release was a ridiculously fantastic video game and the third installment threw away nearly everything I liked about the series) (the new york levels were really cool tho)

e: oh man it's been a while since I've seen people discuss Syphon Filter, I only ever played the first game on the PS1 but man was it a solid action game. Even if it did get tough as poo poo in the last levels. I think I remember reading the final boss strategy in a magazine at the time, I think it just involved rushing him and shooting him in the face with a grenade launcher because trying to play the fight safe just made it really hard

smuh fucked around with this message at 16:54 on Oct 27, 2017

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

looks like spain might be having a civil war

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Cowcaster posted:

The last one didn't end too well, although it did bring us Pan's Labyrinth 70 years later.

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

CJacobs posted:

edit: The only reason the two boss fights in the entire game happen in the first place because they have the high ground and you can't shoot them in the head, and they sure as hell die when you do get an angle on them. The first boss can be killed without even doing the 'puzzle' gimmick if you're good enough to hit the tiny openings you get, and the second one is a dude that's like four and a half feet tall so he can hide behind a riot shield no trouble.

I'd argue that it would have been a lot better for that second boss to let us just shoot him in the head, because what he gets is a whole loving lot worse.

FanaticalMilk
Mar 11, 2011

Palpek posted:

Did they somehow keep the Frogger-inspired river ganeplay from Syndicate? Also are there modern-day fps sections or did they finally drop them?

I feel like I'm the only person that enjoyed the First person puzzle stuff in Revelations, but after 3 full games of assassinating it was nice to use those levels as a palette cleanser.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

They've taken a lot of elements from The Witcher 3 and MGSV. Maybe the next one will take after Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn?

Cowcaster posted:

It's like one of my Japanese animes Europa Universalis games!

• Locked thread