Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Can someone better versed in the Youtube monetizing algorithm explain why it's gotten so lovely in the last few months?

Oops, I swore, there goes my ad revenue. :smithicide:

EDIT: For example, 98Demake isn't a let's player but his videos are constantly flagged by the Youtube monetization algorithm as inappropriate and he loses out on his ad money. It sucks because he puts a lot of effort into his videos but I fear he'll end up quitting altogether if this continues.

GenderSelectScreen fucked around with this message at 16:06 on Oct 27, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
people are getting tagged for inappropriate language, mostly, like your post would for saying the word 'lovely'. which you are aware of but yeah it's not a mystery at this point.

yes, it is bad.

judge reinhold
Jul 26, 2001
If you have any language that's bad in the title or description or maybe even your name, you get demonetized. For example, my Resident Evil videos got flagged and I believe it's because they have the word "Evil" in their title.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

judge reinhold posted:

If you have any language that's bad in the title or description or maybe even your name, you get demonetized. For example, my Resident Evil videos got flagged and I believe it's because they have the word "Evil" in their title.

Q-bert is safe because its already censored.

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe
Is it fair to say this is all PewDiePie's fault?

He's pretty much the representative of YouTube. He does stupid racist poo poo that makes advertisers shy away from using YouTube, so Google overreacts and demonetizes the majority of videos on the site so advertisers can feel like their products aren't being attached to anything bad.

Granted, that's a simplification of how everything went down and there were other factors that lead to the problem with sponsors, but really, gently caress PewDiePie.

Larry Bundy Jr commented on a couple issues that made his vids ad-unfriendly. A couple standouts were the algorithm not liking the way a 2 looked, and because he used a fade to black.

Jamesman fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 27, 2017

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Q-bert is safe because its already censored.

Anything related to Q-bert should be a ban from Youtube because there was a lovely Adam Sandler movie where one of the actors fucks Q-bert.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Jamesman posted:

He's pretty much the representative of YouTube. He does stupid racist poo poo that makes advertisers shy away from using YouTube, so Google overreacts and demonetizes the majority of videos on the site so advertisers can feel like their products aren't being attached to anything bad.

Granted, that's a simplification of how everything went down and there were other factors that lead to the problem with sponsors, but really, gently caress PewDiePie.

Larry Bundy Jr commented on a couple issues that made his vids ad-unfriendly. A couple standouts were the algorithm not liking the way a 2 looked, and because he used a fade to black.

This whole thing was happening before Pewds said the N word, but ever since that it's really gotten bad so i would yes you are correct?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

PhazonLink posted:

Anything related to Q-bert should be a ban from Youtube because there was a lovely Adam Sandler movie where one of the actors fucks Q-bert.

Uhhhh...

But...

Ah gently caress it

:suicide:

Jamesman
Nov 19, 2004

"First off, let me start by saying curly light blond hair does not suit Hyomin at all. Furthermore,"
Fun Shoe

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

This whole thing was happening before Pewds said the N word, but ever since that it's really gotten bad so i would yes you are correct?

Before the N word, but after he paid people to hold up a sign that said "Death to all Jews."

Like I said, there were other factors (people bringing it to the attention of advertisers that their commercials were showing before hateful/violent/disgusting videos), but I think his actions were the catalyst for everything because he's synonymous with YouTube.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

Jamesman posted:

It was actually because ads were playing on extremist videos.

Tactless Ogre
Oct 31, 2011

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Can someone better versed in the Youtube monetizing algorithm explain why it's gotten so lovely in the last few months?

Oops, I swore, there goes my ad revenue. :smithicide:

EDIT: For example, 98Demake isn't a let's player but his videos are constantly flagged by the Youtube monetization algorithm as inappropriate and he loses out on his ad money. It sucks because he puts a lot of effort into his videos but I fear he'll end up quitting altogether if this continues.

Math and numbers are not people. This is something Youtube can never fathom. Its trying to run an algorithm to catch poo poo like that; but the algorithm only sees a numbers and a binary yes or no answer rather than be able to judge on a case by case basis, such as context and the quality of the content itself. Youtube is probably going pure algorithm because it's cheaper to maintain and because asking a person to sit down and review everything that comes into that site would be an introduction to a violent drinking problem.

If it was as simple as a rule that "don't say the N word" or "don't slam women with misogynistic bullshit", that alone would be the easy open and shut case unless your name is Felix Kjellberg. Unfortunately, because it's run by an algorithm, the drat thing can't determine one from the other. So the math is completely hosed up too in addition to what it's supposed to be doing. It's like you said, I've seen people get hit on videos for opening loot boxes or just talking about a game even with no swears in it whatsoever. Part and parcel is simply trying to automate the system for their convenience and appeasing their advertisers and making GBS threads on that.

Another part of it is simply that to content creators, they're not really clear on what would constitute a direct violation. Despite what sounds like a clear contradiction to my earlier post, it doesn't seem to follow a consistent pattern for the most part. Some dudes who are vile and vulgar avoid getting hit while others who just talk about something like "terrifying objectification of women seen in anime" would get hit for it. With no direct word from Mt.Youtubius on what the hell they'e supposed to avoid (aside from the common, no-brainer subjects), it seems that the algorithm hits a channel with atrocious accuracy.

Jamesman posted:

As much as I'd shovel the blame on him; I know I've said dumb poo poo too in the past (nowhere even close to his level, mind you but advertisers would have stricter standards I'd imagine); I'd foster the blame on the shittier ones, but it's as someone else posted: blood's on everyone's hands. His, the extremists, the goofergate clowns, manipulators, etc. While this was a problem beforehand, now that it's on a face that Youtube exclusively backed; they're going to be doing mad damage control; emphasis on Mad.

Cheez
Apr 29, 2013

Someone doesn't like a shitty gimmick I like?

:siren:
TIME FOR ME TO WHINE ABOUT IT!
:siren:
It's honestly been in the cards for a loooooong time. Youtube mismanages the gently caress out of pretty much every system possible on the website and it was only a matter of time til they started adding new things to screw up. Google in general is an awful company that can't manage to do anything right, and only succeeds in how deep they got their internet presence made before they started screwing up. It's basically the same sort of thing for every popular computer thing. "Why does everyone have it if it sucks?" Because it used to be good and now everyone's stuck.

edit: lol someone actually got their feelings hurt so bad they paid money for it

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS
If I say the n word a lot will that stop nintendo from monetizing my videos

N word

N word N word!

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Oh man my day was made when my youtube recommendations included a new series of Men Quaffin Elixirs hell yes

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Oh man my day was made when my youtube recommendations included a new series of Men Quaffin Elixirs hell yes

Fantastic! It's always great to hear No Internet Name Anthony again.

Unperson_47
Oct 14, 2007

Ramos posted:

Fantastic! It's always great to hear No Internet Name Anthony again.

Watch their recent Comedy Night videos. That was a magical journey. Random operatic skeleton was a highlight.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Apparently there will be no Wolfenstein 2 playthrough on Vinesauce because he didn't want to piss off his chat by playing it. I wonder why. :shepface:

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Pollyanna posted:

Apparently there will be no Wolfenstein 2 playthrough on Vinesauce because he didn't want to piss off his chat by playing it. I wonder why. :shepface:

You say "apparently", which implies a source. Also Vinny isn't really one to ever listen to his chat anyway so I'm curious

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Angry_Ed posted:

You say "apparently", which implies a source. Also Vinny isn't really one to ever listen to his chat anyway so I'm curious

Source: some Nazi's Youtube comment. I agree with you, now that my initial annoyance has worn off - he'll play it if he wants to. Also, I doubt he's in the mood to agree with his chat after dealing with Cry of Fear.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

Pollyanna posted:

Source: some Nazi's Youtube comment. I agree with you, now that my initial annoyance has worn off - he'll play it if he wants to. Also, I doubt he's in the mood to agree with his chat after dealing with Cry of Fear.

What happened with Cry of Fear?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Max Wilco posted:

What happened with Cry of Fear?

AFAICT it was heavily recommended by chat not because it was good or anything but because it was a staple of horror game streamers, and he was hyped up for something cool and fun to play but instead really disliked it. To be fair, the other half of chat that didn't recommend it loving hated it and wished it would end quickly.

Honestly, I believe in collaborative natures and communicating with your audience, but there has to be a line drawn somewhere.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Cry of Fear was really good at one time but that time has pretty well passed it by. It's still neat for being an ambitious project done in source, but it's no longer some amazing thing.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Yardbomb posted:

Cry of Fear was really good at one time but that time has pretty well passed it by. It's still neat for being an ambitious project done in source, but it's no longer some amazing thing.

Even then, though. Not even ~2012 can excuse limited inventory, poor level design, and a hackneyed story.

Trojan Kaiju
Feb 13, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

Even then, though. Not even ~2012 can excuse limited inventory, poor level design, and a hackneyed story.

Or reloading using up the rest of a clip.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

There was a lovely game LP thread a year or two ago where someone here did Cry of Fear. Back when it released it was pretty cool because there wasn't a whole lot else like it on the market, but in retrospect it's awful. Most of the scares are just really loud jump scares and it's got some godawful level design, like that train escape that's nearly impossible to beat if you're not great at FPS platforming and know the route to take.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

chitoryu12 posted:

There was a lovely game LP thread a year or two ago where someone here did Cry of Fear. Back when it released it was pretty cool because there wasn't a whole lot else like it on the market, but in retrospect it's awful. Most of the scares are just really loud jump scares and it's got some godawful level design, like that train escape that's nearly impossible to beat if you're not great at FPS platforming and know the route to take.

If you want a lesson in bad game design, I can also recommend the free precursor mod for half life 1, Afraid of Monsters. Lots of Find button-backtrack-find button-unmarked path split leading to different endings.

Or go whole hog and play Half-quake, but at least that was intentional.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Nov 6, 2017

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
the lowest of taxes also had an entire saga with it which helps its legend around this dead gay internet forum

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
DSP fails at life once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHA6pYcsTgk

"DSP finally reveals that he owes the state of Washington several thousand dollars for neglecting to pay taxes for his business. DSP also backpedals on calling it a business because of this."

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Leal posted:

Thats quitter talk

So lets get this list of people DSP has associated with and the result:

JohnRambo: Would have the guy drive across the state to do cocommentary, tried to screw him out of a 50/50 split because he "isn't getting the ad revenue information anymore". And if the commentary he did with Howard was any indication, John paid for his own gas and his own meals. DSP did not loving FEED the guy for driving all the way to his house! DSP threw him under the boss with the rest of the Project 7 guys, claiming they just cut contact

Project 7: Didn't want to pay anyone involved. He didn't pay Howard, he didn't pay John, he didn't pay Respect The Pack who DID THE EFFECTS FOR FREE. DSP took the money his patreons paid for P7 and said he got a sign from heaven to not do P7 anymore, then threw everyone invovled under the bus.

Machinama: "gently caress you Machinima!"

Banks: loving predators and profiteers *takes a loan out for a 4 bedroom house in a gated community, a BMW, keeps his condo in another state that he doesn't want to rent out*

Leanna's family: Stood up her brother's wedding to play Fallout 4

His local taxi cab: Wow dood stereotypical arabian drivers who can't speak english!

Youtube: They hosed me up the rear end again and its so far stretched out, they're a bunch of loving NERDS who aren't street smart and think they're hot poo poo with their harvard degree!

Mom and Dad: They didn't buy me the correct superhero figurine!

And finally, Leanna who he decided to try and make a hiii~larious event about his misadventures of seeing his fiance at the loving *emergency room* and she dumped his rear end. Currently waiting for him to throw her under the bus as well.

You really cannot come out ahead being involved with Phil in any way shape or form.

Tax Attorney: hosed up his taxes and is the reason he has to pay back taxes

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

TaurusOxford posted:

DSP fails at life once again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHA6pYcsTgk

"DSP finally reveals that he owes the state of Washington several thousand dollars for neglecting to pay taxes for his business. DSP also backpedals on calling it a business because of this."

What a fuckin' putz.

Doseku
Nov 9, 2009
I'll at least say that the instigating event that started the investigation wasn't his fault if he is to be believed.

However everything that came after clearly is. He can't claim that he wasn't running a business when he has multitudes of videos with him saying otherwise. He even has business class internet that's separate from his regular internet.
This might be the thing that brings him down considering that he has no where near the cash flow to cover whatever the back taxes were if it indeed comes to that.

As for selling the house I don't think that's going to help since the only way to get any money out of that is to sell the house for more than is owed to the bank. Which probably isn't that large of a profit at the moment.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Making a youtube video about this seems like a bad idea.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Hypocrisy posted:

Making a youtube video about this seems like a bad idea.

Phil isn't exactly known for his good ideas. We're talking about a guy who proposed to his girlfriend and then immediately went on social media saying that he has no intention of actually marrying her in any sort of near-future, basically confirming that the engagement was a relationship band-aid.

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

In unrelated news: Youtube and Twitch content creators realize that they built their castle on a swamp and are starting to panic.

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

There's a Monty Python and the Holy Grail joke in here somewhere, I swear...

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

Michaellaneous posted:

In unrelated news: Youtube and Twitch content creators realize that they built their castle on a swamp and are starting to panic.

How so?

Michaellaneous
Oct 30, 2013

Do you mean the castle or the panic part?

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Give it a bit, no one explains things from the beginning.

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

Net neutrality I assume.

In other thread related news, the New Yorker of all places did a piece about the business of video game streaming on Twitch for their tech issue. (I discovered this while visiting my parents for Thanksgiving.) None of its likely to be a revelation for anyone who posts in this thread but there's something kinda amazing about a professional journalist talking to a CEO about building his business around idiot teens who scream 'cuck' into the microphone.

Rangpur fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Nov 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Michaellaneous posted:

Do you mean the castle or the panic part?

You've not mentioned the trigger for this new wave of panic at all. Could be ads being pulled, it could be ad unfriendly flags, it could be some banning, content ID, anything at all.