Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
I don't know why this has to continuously be repeated, but if you want to make a fantasy show or movie, you absolutely need an IP to base it on to sell it.

You can't just "make a new fantasy IP" for your tv show.

But producers don't care if you change everything about an existing IP when you "adapt" it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

X-O posted:

Well today is still a Friday therefore there is still work. Unfortunately my job doesn’t have designated bingewatching breaks.

Shoulda called in sick :cmon:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

Rarity posted:

Shoulda called in sick :cmon:

This but every day.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I'm so glad that a non-trivial amount of my job boils down to "watching things on Netflix". Though I'm off today, so it's been an uninterrupted stranger things binge. It took me a bit to get into S1, but this season I'm already super invested from the start.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Wheat Loaf posted:

Just saw that Olivia Colman to take over as QE2 in The Crown next. Not unexpected seeing as she is in everything.

And just to be clear, she's taking over the role in season 3. I'm sure she'll be fine but I'm tired of dramas about the queen.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Mu Zeta posted:

And just to be clear, she's taking over the role in season 3. I'm sure she'll be fine but I'm tired of dramas about the queen.

My mom isn't.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

My dream is that by the time they get to Diana's death (which is where they want to end the show, I think) he just casts Helen Mirren as Elizabeth II again and remakes The Queen.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

nate fisher posted:

I am already 200GB over the 1TB Comcast data cap. Streaming 4K + using PS Vue for everything else racks up the data. So I have to hold off on Stranger Things until the first of the month. Right now I am only watching one episode of a show a night (Mr. Robot last night, Mindhunter the night before). It sucks, but I am reading more at night now.

It looks like I am going to have to leave PS Vue for the new Comcast instant streaming service (it doesn't count against your cap), but at this time it doesn't have an AppleTV app. That or I could get WOW internet with no datacaps. I just don't trust WOW.

You can go over twice for free in a twelve month period. I tend to plan for it rather than go over by a little, and go over by terabytes.

Mu Zeta posted:

Super 8 and ET

Super 8 was such a great little movie, it's weird it seems to have fallen into a void and doesn't really get much mention these days.

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

nate fisher posted:

It looks like I am going to have to leave PS Vue for the new Comcast instant streaming service (it doesn't count against your cap), but at this time it doesn't have an AppleTV app. That or I could get WOW internet with no datacaps. I just don't trust WOW.

They can't enforce the data cap where I am, but what's this new streaming service?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

I don't know why this has to continuously be repeated, but if you want to make a fantasy show or movie, you absolutely need an IP to base it on to sell it.

You can't just "make a new fantasy IP" for your tv show.

But producers don't care if you change everything about an existing IP when you "adapt" it.

Well, except Lin-Manuel Miranda is a big fan of books, which makes sense as it is a fantasy series about a main character who spends a lot of time either performing music or talking about music.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

IRQ posted:

They can't enforce the data cap where I am, but what's this new streaming service?

https://www.xfinity.com/support/cable-tv/xfinity-instant-tv-faqs/

First month free (unsure up to what), and you can add on channels + 20 hour DVR. That said only works with Roku right now, and it is not available everywhere yet. Also you have to have Comcast internet.

I am in Knoxville, TN, and they sent me email earlier this month trying to get me to try it (I left cable for Vue back in the spring). I only have AppleTVs, so the Roku only thing was a no go. That said once they release an AppleTV app I plan to give it a spin.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

This came up in another thread but the Taken series got renewed for a second season earlier this year and part of that announcement was that they were firing EVERYONE but the lead and Jennifer Beals.

esperterra
Mar 24, 2010

SHINee's back

JBeals is a loving baller. Is that show worth picking up for her?

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Not sure if anyone is still watching Once Upon a Time but the new Cinderella is the loving worst. All she does is make bad decisions and I wish she'd be killed off ASAP. Her kid is even more annoying and obnoxious.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GreenNight posted:

Not sure if anyone is still watching Once Upon a Time but the new Cinderella is the loving worst. All she does is make bad decisions and I wish she'd be killed off ASAP. Her kid is even more annoying and obnoxious.
Dania Ramirez was bad in Heroes too.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I don't know if it's the writing or her or both but she is completely terrible.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Orville is absolutely killing it for "comfort TNG style show"

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

GreenNight posted:

I've watched the whole series to this point but this new season lost me after a couple of episodes. Kind of sad, given what a completionist I usually am with TV shows.

asecondduck
Feb 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Josh Lyman posted:

Dania Ramirez was bad in Heroes too.

I can’t think of a single actor or actress that ruins my enjoyment of a TV show more than her. She somehow made Entourage worse. Like, goddam.

[Edit: I can’t actually blame Buffy season 7 on her but she was in it so I’m going to anyway]

asecondduck fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 28, 2017

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

lelandjs posted:

I can’t think of a single actor or actress that ruins my enjoyment of a TV show more than her. She somehow made Entourage worse. Like, goddam.

[Edit: I can’t actually blame Buffy season 7 on her but she was in it so I’m going to anyway]

So now are you gonna say that X-Men 3 was a bad movie? She was in that and it was a work of art!

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

lelandjs posted:

This cuts both ways, though certainly more so with women than men, but there are literally millions of beautiful people trying to make it in Hollywood. Surely casting directors can find ones that aren't terrible actors.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
What are the gold standards in stupid action telly at the moment? What's good that does "Picking a stupid concept and running from explosions with it" like a tv version of Face/Off?

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Oct 28, 2017

less laughter
May 7, 2012

Accelerock & Roll

Wheat Loaf posted:

What are the gold standards in stupid action telly at the moment? What's good that does "Picking a stupid concept and running from explosions with it" like a tv version of Face/Off?

Strike Back

ShakeZula
Jun 17, 2003

Nobody move and nobody gets hurt.

Wheat Loaf posted:

The Last Ship and Blindspot come to mind

Strike Back is also extremely good for this, but that's not currently going (unless the new version has started up already?)

Flatscan
Mar 27, 2001

Outlaw Journalist

ShakeZula posted:

Strike Back is also extremely good for this, but that's not currently going (unless the new version has started up already?)

Tuesday.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006

Holy poo poo, really? Goddamn. :dance:

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

zoux posted:

BTW if you liked American Vandal because of its close satire, do not miss Documentary NOW, which is insanely good satire of a number of actual and famous documentaries.

Doc Now has some real good episodes, but many of them are too close to the originals to where they just feel like copies with different actors and a few jokes thrown in that aren't that funny. I don't think I ever got all the way through season 2.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

ShakeZula posted:

The Last Ship and Blindspot come to mind

I've not really seen The Last Ship but I know the premise - it's not exactly what I'm interested in.

However, I believe I may have actually asked about Blindspot previously. How would you finish this: "I would like Blindspot if I also liked..."

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Wheat Loaf posted:

I've not really seen The Last Ship but I know the premise - it's not exactly what I'm interested in.

However, I believe I may have actually asked about Blindspot previously. How would you finish this: "I would like Blindspot if I also liked..."

Arrow, honestly.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

DivisionPost posted:

Arrow, honestly.

Wheat Loaf posted:

24 action scenes. That and dark Angel. It feels like a solid mix of those two shows. The puzzle poo poo is also great usually.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The Good Place is loving killing this year

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006
Speaking of Blindspot season 3 just started and it's better than ever

And if you haven't seen blindspot yet it's like a cross between an ongoing ludicrous mystery/conspiracy plot crossed with a weekly action thriller show. Decent action for a network show too

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah, the action is the real selling point of the show.

JethroMcB
Jan 23, 2004

We're normal now.
We love your family.
Blindspot seems like a series where "Ogle Jaime Alexander's body, every week; every inch of skin that S&P will allow" was the first thing written on the board during the pitch meeting and they worked backwards from there.

When I talk to my parents and Mom says "Well, your Dad is into Blindspot, loves to watch it, but I just couldn't get into it" I'm like "Yyyyyyyep. Hypothesis confirmed."

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
There's honestly very little ogling. In fact I'm pretty sure they just make up new tattoos as the plot requires.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

JethroMcB posted:

Blindspot seems like a series where "Ogle Jaime Alexander's body, every week; every inch of skin that S&P will allow" was the first thing written on the board during the pitch meeting and they worked backwards from there.

When I talk to my parents and Mom says "Well, your Dad is into Blindspot, loves to watch it, but I just couldn't get into it" I'm like "Yyyyyyyep. Hypothesis confirmed."

orrrr maybe your mom likes different genres than your dad?? Aside from some brief scenes in the pilot it's hardly focused on showing her skin. If it was, showing photos of super close up tattoos on computer screens is a pretty weird way of going about making an "ogle a hot girl" show. Like i said it's pretty much a mystery/action show. Having said that Jaimie Alexander is a very attractive and capable woman and more than reason enough to watch the show

Eezee
Apr 3, 2011

My double chin turned out to be a huge cyst
I remember that show getting trashed in this thread when it first came out. Did it actually get good?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Eezee posted:

I remember that show getting trashed in this thread when it first came out. Did it actually get good?

It's a hard chew at first... but it's just like Blacklist, without the James Spader factor.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Rocksicles posted:

It's a hard chew at first... but it's just like Blacklist, without the James Spader factor.

I mean literally the only redeeming factor of The Blacklist is James Spader, so that's basically the worst thing you could say about a show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mulva posted:

I mean literally the only redeeming factor of The Blacklist is James Spader, so that's basically the worst thing you could say about a show.

It's the same type of show... PG intrigue and gunfights F.B.AIIII doing cool stuff with computers and poo poo... ENHANCE!

The tattoo poo poo cracks me up.
I skipped most of the last season, i'm all in for Rich Dot Com and the Magic tattoo.

• Locked thread