Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

IDK if this is a controversial take but I always thought There Will Be Blood was epochs better than No Country For Old Men, was disappointed it didn't win because that seemed to be the best chance Anderson had to win

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Beachcomber posted:

The LotR movies are very weird to me in that I saw them opening night and a few times afterwards, bought the special edition DVDs and have never once felt inclined to watch them since.

LotR definitely feels like a huge time investment. They seem a little daunting when I go to dust off the DVDs (because it's either watch all or none of them and I really have to have NOTHING going on that day).

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

IDK if this is a controversial take but I always thought There Will Be Blood was epochs better than No Country For Old Men, was disappointed it didn't win because that seemed to be the best chance Anderson had to win

agree, but PT's reaction to losing almost made up for it.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

It seems to me that most best picture winners / nominees are whatever Hollywood is circlejerking themselves over in that particular year and if a good movie ends up on the list its by accident or because its too big of a cultural force to ignore (LOTR, Fury Road)

I mean Forrest Gump won everything in the year where Pulp Fiction, Shawshank Redemption, and Speed came out. Also its reactionary garbage.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, Maximus was supposed to become a god, so the sequel would be him fighting in wars through history.

Which sounds loving awesome, like the original ending of God of War.

Having read the script for Gladiator 2 (a quick Google search away!), it's a bit of a strange beast but one I would have loved to see. It probably wouldn't have made for a great blockbuster, but it would have been a terrific character drama. But it makes sense why it didn't get made.

In the afterlife Maximus finds out that the Roman gods are dying because Christianity is gaining popularity. They task him with going back to Earth to kill Jesus, but when Maximus is resurrected he finds that his now grown son has converted to Christianity. He must then essentially orchestrate a holy war. So he doesn't become a god, he becomes manipulated by the gods to serve them as their representative on Earth. Like, you know, Jesus.

I could have some of those details wrong, but that's the gist of it. It's cool as hell.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

feedmyleg posted:

Having read the script for Gladiator 2 (a quick Google search away!), it's a bit of a strange beast but one I would have loved to see. It probably wouldn't have made for a great blockbuster, but it would have been a terrific character drama. But it makes sense why it didn't get made.

In the afterlife Maximus finds out that the Roman gods are dying because Christianity is gaining popularity. They task him with going back to Earth to kill Jesus, but when Maximus is resurrected he finds that his now grown son has converted to Christianity. He must then essentially orchestrate a holy war. So he doesn't become a god, he becomes manipulated by the gods to serve them as their representative on Earth. Like, you know, Jesus.

I could have some of those details wrong, but that's the gist of it. It's cool as hell.

So he - a Roman general and citizen- travels back in time to kill Jesus before he is killed by Romans? And isn't his son dead?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I want a Kingdom of Heaven prequel with the Hospitaler, the Moor, and the German.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

feedmyleg posted:

In the afterlife Maximus Gladiator finds out that the Roman gods are dying because Christianity is gaining popularity.

FTFY

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Decius posted:

So he - a Roman general and citizen- travels back in time to kill Jesus before he is killed by Romans? And isn't his son dead?

I believe he agrees to serve the gods so that his son could live. I guess he doesn't kill Christ, just starts a Christian holy war in Rome. The subtitle of the script was Christ Killer, though. So I forget exactly how that fits in - maybe it was his task to snuff out Christianity but he went the opposite way? Honestly it's hard to remember because the script is A Lot. I'm sure someone else here has read it.

But it essentially feels like part Immortals, part Last Temptation of Christ, and part Gladiator.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Oct 27, 2017

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Been trying to piece together this Morgan Creek news for what is most likely going to be film, but I'll just post all of it. Morgan Creek changed its name slightly and is planning a big push of new productions of it's library of properties, which include Ace Ventura, Young Guns, Dead Ringers, Diabolique, Pacific Heights, and Major League. They will be both films and movies depending on what they think works best

quote:

The process has now accelerated, with a number of remakes — mostly for TV — in various stages of development. For instance, talks are underway with a streaming service about a Young Guns movie and TV series. There also are discussions with a showrunner for a Dead Ringers series reboot.

With the Ace Ventura franchise, “we wanted to do a mainstream theatrical production relaunch,” Robinson said, stressing that the idea is not to do a straight remake but a new movie in the spirit of the original, part of Morgan Creek’s strategy to honor its library properties with the new takes without undercutting them. “Because it’s episodic in nature, about a pet detective, it also lends itself to a traditional single-camera series franchise.”

quote:

The current concept eyed for an Ace Ventura reboot is “a baton-handing,” Wall said, a long-lost son or daughter of Ace possibly showing up at his doorstep and taking over. [Tars Note: This already happened with Ace Ventura, Jr., and it was TERRIBLE!] For Young Guns, where the original movie featured an ensemble of young actors who all went on to become established stars, the goal is to find another group of up-and-comers.

quote:

Barker has been involved in the pitch for a Nightbreed TV series, while David Cronenberg has been supportive of a Dead Ringers reimagining, Robinson and Wall said, stressing that it is a priority to get the blessing of the original creators for the reboots.

https://deadline.com/2017/10/morgan-creek-rebrand-young-guns-ace-ventura-major-league-tv-film-reboots-1202195012/

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

A soft sequel reboot of Ace Ventura? A soft seaboot?

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
A new Young Guns movie could be a lot of fun depending on who is cast, same goes for Major League. Ace Ventura was so persona-focused the first time around that any followup without Carrey is a very poor idea. The other movies aren't going to be anyone's sacred cows so they're actually great candidates for remakes.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

You could do a more reserved Ace Venture if you tone it down to around Psych levels. The hardest part would be he's supposed to have a lot of pets, the show revolves around animals, animals are expensive. You could have the series start with him banned from owning pets due to hording, with one small secret pet, maybe.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

I'll let you all have fun with the obvious jokes, but Lethal Weapon 5 might be happening. And it's not that old old old rumor about Gibson being dead and Glover seeking revenge.

quote:

Deadline hears that Mel Gibson, Danny Glover, Richard Donner are all huddling on the possibility of doing another film for the the Lethal Weapon franchise. In the scenario we’ve heard Donner would direct and Channing Gibson (Lethal Weapon 4) would script. There are many moving parts, but we’ve heard that all are on board and exploring another film. It would move forward, of course, at Warner Bros., the studio that has brought audiences four in the franchise.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/lethal-weapon-mel-gibson-danny-glover-richard-donner-at-warner-bros-1202196260/

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

30 years later and Murtaugh still hasn't retired.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

EVEN SHARKS NEED WAHTAHHHHHH!!!!

Alexander Hamilton
Dec 29, 2008
Crouching Tiger winning best score over Gladiator has always bothered me, along with the various times Sam Rockwell hasn't even been nominated for best actor.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Really weird to do that while the TV show is going on with different leads, but that might be the reason why they're doing it anyway.

joylessdivision
Jun 15, 2013

Tars Tarkas posted:

Been trying to piece together this Morgan Creek news for what is most likely going to be film, but I'll just post all of it. Morgan Creek changed its name slightly and is planning a big push of new productions of it's library of properties, which include Ace Ventura, Young Guns, Dead Ringers, Diabolique, Pacific Heights, and Major League. They will be both films and movies depending on what they think works best

https://deadline.com/2017/10/morgan-creek-rebrand-young-guns-ace-ventura-major-league-tv-film-reboots-1202195012/

Nightbreed TV series is all I care about. I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to see it as a Netflix series or something.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

joylessdivision posted:

Nightbreed TV series is all I care about. I'm not holding my breath but I'd love to see it as a Netflix series or something.

They should do a reverse IT and do a miniseries based on the book.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
The Lethal Weapon news is craziest to me, I remember even as 4 was coming out Gibson was joking about doing a 5th one in three years where they're way too old and even then people were like you already did it's called Lethal Weapon 4.

The Lethal Weapon TV series looked like poo poo but is it doing particularly badly or well? Like if the Exorcist show totally tanked would Morgan Creek be developing a soft Exorcist reboot film?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Casimir Radon posted:

30 years later and Murtaugh still hasn't retired.

I'm really, really, really, really too old for this poo poo.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Tars Tarkas posted:

I'll let you all have fun with the obvious jokes, but Lethal Weapon 5 might be happening. And it's not that old old old rumor about Gibson being dead and Glover seeking revenge.

http://deadline.com/2017/10/lethal-weapon-mel-gibson-danny-glover-richard-donner-at-warner-bros-1202196260/

Can't wait for the blackface subplot

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

Neo Rasa posted:

The Lethal Weapon TV series looked like poo poo but is it doing particularly badly or well? Like if the Exorcist show totally tanked would Morgan Creek be developing a soft Exorcist reboot film?
It made it to season 2, which was better than Rush Hour, Taken, or Training Day did. I heard the Exorcist's ratings were also bad but the show is supposed to be good and crazy, so buzz probably got it a second season.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Tars Tarkas posted:

It made it to season 2, which was better than ... Taken,

Taken according to wiki

quote:

NBC renewed the series for a second season and extended the number of episodes from 10 to 16 hour-long episodes on May 9, 2017.

so someone must have liked it :o:

(edit)

huh, that's kind of interesting, something not working, do a massive rearrangement!

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/taken/264376/taken-season-2-nbc-boss-reveals-why-cast-was-fired

I kinda liked some of the team ops, he can't be a lone wolf man all the time, even if that's how he ultimately ends up.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tars Tarkas posted:

It made it to season 2, which was better than Rush Hour, Taken, or Training Day did. I heard the Exorcist's ratings were also bad but the show is supposed to be good and crazy, so buzz probably got it a second season.

Training Day got canned because of Bill Paxton.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Taken according to wiki

so someone must have liked it :o:

(edit)

huh, that's kind of interesting, something not working, do a massive rearrangement!

http://www.denofgeek.com/us/tv/taken/264376/taken-season-2-nbc-boss-reveals-why-cast-was-fired

I kinda liked some of the team ops, he can't be a lone wolf man all the time, even if that's how he ultimately ends up.

D'oh, I read everyone getting tossed and somehow that morphed into cancelled.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Decius posted:

His bastard son with Lucilla.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

muscles like this! posted:

Training Day got canned because of Bill Paxton.

How's that?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

He dead.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

So I saw Jigsaw today and for good and bad its pretty much just another Saw movie. You'd think that after seven years they'd do something different when they brought it back but it pretty much goes exactly the same as the later ones. In case anyone is wondering, they're able to work Tobin Bell in again by (twist spoiler) cheating on when stuff is happening, with this movie's "game" actually taking place before the first movie with yet another previously unmentioned Jigsaw apprentice.

The thing that really annoyed me is that it falls into the same trap as the later Saw films where the person doing it isn't actually interested in letting any of the victims survive, which negates the whole premise.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Byzantine posted:

Yeah, Maximus was supposed to become a god, so the sequel would be him fighting in wars through history.

Which sounds loving awesome, like the original ending of God of War.

If that Eternal Warrior movie with Batista ever gets off the ground, they should just rework that script and change the names.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

So I saw Jigsaw today and for good and bad its pretty much just another Saw movie. You'd think that after seven years they'd do something different when they brought it back but it pretty much goes exactly the same as the later ones. In case anyone is wondering, they're able to work Tobin Bell in again by (twist spoiler) cheating on when stuff is happening, with this movie's "game" actually taking place before the first movie with yet another previously unmentioned Jigsaw apprentice.

The thing that really annoyed me is that it falls into the same trap as the later Saw films where the person doing it isn't actually interested in letting any of the victims survive, which negates the whole premise.
Thanks for reaffirming my decision not to see it!

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Well, that's what Moviepass is for.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Codependent Poster posted:

I'm really, really, really, really too old for this poo poo.

Legitimately too old for this poo poo.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
Just stunt cast Donald Glover as his grandson/Chris Rock's son.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Tars Tarkas posted:

Good News, Taken is actually coming back for a second season. I didn't make it past the second episode myself

e: also the Lethal Weapon TV show is actually pretty good

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Can't wait for the blackface subplot

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I hope Jigsaw never takes back Halloween, that piece of poo poo! I hate Saw, and I wish death upon the franchise.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Well, that's what Moviepass is for.

I just signed the gf and I up for that the other day and can't wait to get our cards. We have three theaters within 15 minutes that take it so there's never a reason for us to be sitting around bored on a Sunday again. Even if there's nothing we want to see we can at least go and hate watch bad movies

• Locked thread