Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin

Sheep posted:

I liked the Goal. Everyone raves about the Phoenix Project but it did not hook me nearly as much, I think I stopped reading about halfway through.

If you've already read the Goal, Phoenix Project is probably going to be boring as hell.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Sheep posted:

Meraki's malware detection is notoriously bad so this isn't surprising at all. Wasn't there an issue last year where they started flagging dashboard.meraki.com as a malicious site as well? Doesn't get much less competent than that.

I don't think I'd ever want to put switches that can be shut down remotely in the core of a network. I appreciate it's only used when the licensing expires but still, gently caress that. The functionality exists and I don't see how it's possible to be completely certain that it won't be triggered accidentally.

SEKCobra
Feb 28, 2011

Hi
:saddowns: Don't look at my site :saddowns:
Or on purpose because you happen to be a competitor or whatever. Certainly a backdoor you dont want in critical hardware.

Docjowles
Apr 9, 2009

Thanks Ants posted:

Spiceworks and Reddit

triggered

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Thanks Ants posted:

I don't think I'd ever want to put switches that can be shut down remotely in the core of a network. I appreciate it's only used when the licensing expires but still, gently caress that. The functionality exists and I don't see how it's possible to be completely certain that it won't be triggered accidentally.

One of my customers went full Meraki a few years ago, then they had an internet outage and for some reason all their switches just shut down. I doubt that's expected or intended behavior, but it happened.

I won't touch them anyways because the functionality of the core hardware should never depend on a subscription, but that made me even more sure of my position.

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Proteus Jones posted:

That's exactly what it means. They were given project requirements, drafted a plan, set fake milestones, and implemented it on a small subset of representative equipment/VMs in a lab environment.

There were more than one on his resume.

In excruciating detail.

Over five or six pages.

The only "real world" experience he had was an internship as a help-desk helper during the summer between earning his B.S. and starting on his M.S.

He was applying for a security architect position.
If these were things he did for fun and not just his school projects, he sounds like the kind of person who would kill it with the right mentor IMO

Also, if you don't want people with ridiculous backgrounds applying at your company, don't post a position titled "Security Architect".

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Vulture Culture posted:

Also, if you don't want people with ridiculous backgrounds applying at your company, don't post a position titled "Security Architect".

Whatever you say.

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
We spend a lot of time telling people to apply for jobs above their actual skillsets. This guy seems to have stretched too far, but whatever, he probably got hired somewhere else as a CIO.

Sepist
Dec 26, 2005

FUCK BITCHES, ROUTE PACKETS

Gravy Boat 2k
Security Architect must haves:

- Degree in music

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Sepist posted:

Security Architect must haves:

- Degree in music

Pleas include dissertation either supporting or refuting the theory that Alexander Dumas' later works were produced by a stable of ghost writers.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
Our security team does little more than yell at me about Windows patches, pass on spreadsheets from PCI audits, and forward security alert emails that they've subscribed to.

I don't know if there is a group of people in the IT field that I respect less.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I want that job. Just email someone else to fix poo poo.

Wrath of the Bitch King
May 11, 2005

Research confirms that black is a color like silver is a color, and that beyond black is clarity.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Our security team does little more than yell at me about Windows patches, pass on spreadsheets from PCI audits, and forward security alert emails that they've subscribed to.

That’s how it was when I worked at the bank. As far as I could tell they just ran nexpose reports and kicked their feet up. Most cush gig ever.

It was an odd moment once when, as I was handling a major database outage, an email rolled in about their upcoming whitewater rafting trip.

Methanar
Sep 26, 2013

by the sex ghost

Internet Explorer posted:

Hey, thank you for posting this. I am in a similar boat, Windows admin who would like to branch out and this helps a lot.

MF_James posted:

Yeah this.

Perfect. The Windows admin that wants to branch out was exactly my target audience
I spent all of yesterday harping about things to crowds and I sincerely hope that I was able to help at least a few people.

MF_James posted:

Which of the languages you recommended would be your #1? I'm thinking Python would be my choice.

Python being the most active of the tags on SO is as good of a reason as any to use it.

https://stackoverflow.com/tags?tab=popular

Punkbob posted:

Methaers(sp?) post about windows stuff was spot on. The only part I slightly disagree with is that being a Windows admin isn’t going to change. Both mesos and kubernetes have active projects towards natively running schedulers on Windows, using containers. It maybe a huge bust but I could foresee a world where VMs are slowly replaced by containers.

Internet Explorer posted:

I've been doing non-persistent (cattle) servers for a long time. Web servers, XenApp servers, VDI. Having something that resets to a master image and essentially gets configured via script or GPO, has user data pulled out and stored somewhere else on reboot is probably as close as you can get in the Windows world unless you're supporting developers on a Microsoft stack.

You're right here. I didn't consider immutable VDI when I was talking about Windows. I doubled down on that 'Windows admin like me' part too much, I didn't operate any large VDI systems.

Treating end user VDI machines as cattle that are based off of a master image and configured via script is absolutely in the same vein as what I was talking about.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Yeah, the compliance group can be pretty frustrating. Especially when they just puke out audit reports without taking into account configs or context.

I came in from the "Break things in interesting ways" --> "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE" --> "Hmm... how can we fix it so we don't actually die" side of things.

Now, I'm "Hey, let me look at the design and prelim configs and hardware before you lock it down so I can keep us all from dying"

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Going through change management pains. I think it's a cyclical thing, the audit type people want to make everything a change, and then reality hits and then they have to back down, but it seems like moving towards that whole immutable architecture thing is the only way to really fix it. Sure, you can log into a server, but it'll notice and just delete itself within an hour, so make sure you figured out whatever it was that you were trying to find.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

:discourse:

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Thanks Ants posted:

Spiceworks and Reddit

I read /r/sysadmin from time to time. Any other good subs?

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else
My morning has started by going through a co-workers ticket queue to clean it up, and is now wrestling with a Quickbooks service exploding on a DC. Not really the most exciting Friday over here. GET ME OUT.

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ranter posted:

/r/sysadmin is objectively bad

Some of the more specific subreddits have good info, but they are considerably slower.

/r/sccm, /r/powershell, /r/netsec, /r/networking, etc

Jowj
Dec 25, 2010

My favourite player and idol. His battles with his wrists mirror my own battles with the constant disgust I feel towards my zerg bugs.

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Same question I asked 3-4 years ago - let's see what has changed.

What's everyone's daily IT reading? Weekly, occasional?

If podcasts count, then:
-Risk Business is a great security focused podcast. They have (IMO) loving awful views on privacy but a lot of people like it and I think its the only podcast I've seen endorsed by the sec threads. Weekly
Books:
-Docker Deep Dive - local OWASP group is doing a book club and i'm reading this for that. I just started but its interesting / good for me so far
-POC || GTFO - this is *fun* cool stuff but definitely less professionally focused than the other media listed

-These threads, secfuck thread, terrible programmer thread, idiot spare time project thread (its like inspiration for actually being productive at home!)

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Methanar posted:

Currently at nait speaking!

No preference for food

I am sad I missed this, I needed lunch plans yesterday and ended up eating a sad burrito from our crappy commissary.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

ChubbyThePhat posted:

My morning has started by going through a co-workers ticket queue to clean it up, and is now wrestling with a Quickbooks service exploding on a DC. Not really the most exciting Friday over here. GET ME OUT.

oh hey, this was my morning too, because my coworker got fired. Sad, I liked the kid, but really didn't have his eye on the ball.

As evidenced by the 50 tickets in his queue going back to August.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?
drat, that's what, 3 Edmonton goons, plus Blackswordca if he ever shows up again?

Maybe we should do a monthly lunch or something.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

The Fool posted:

/r/sysadmin is objectively bad

Some of the more specific subreddits have good info, but they are considerably slower.

/r/sccm, /r/powershell, /r/netsec, /r/networking, etc

/r/sysadmin is great for general news and outage stuff.

Its loathsome for advice.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Sickening posted:

Ya definitely a quick go-to when one of our popular SaaS/IaaS platforms seems to be taking a poo poo.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Sickening posted:

hahah herp derp it's always dns!! loving microsoft!! licensing how does it work

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jeoh posted:

hahah herp derp it's always dns!! loving micro$oft!! licensing how does it work

FTFY

Antioch
Apr 18, 2003

Avenging_Mikon posted:

drat, that's what, 3 Edmonton goons, plus Blackswordca if he ever shows up again?

Maybe we should do a monthly lunch or something.

I'm in. I'm on the south side but getting downtown is easy enough

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Ranter posted:

Sorry, no idea. I was being sarcastic.

ChubbyThePhat posted:

Quickbooks…on a DC.

:wtc:

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 18:18 on Oct 27, 2017

xsf421
Feb 17, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Our security team approached our system engineers about disabling WinRM on all production servers, in the name of security. You can probably imagine how that went.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Antioch posted:

I'm in. I'm on the south side but getting downtown is easy enough

Chubby, you in?

Any other Edmonton goons lurking who want in?

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

Ranter posted:

Some of the very specific product-oriented ones like /r/kubernetes are not terrible but in general Reddit is a horrible thing and should be avoided

Paladine_PSoT
Jan 2, 2010

If you have a problem Yo, I'll solve it

Judge Schnoopy posted:

Hell no, never will be.

E: hell you're in a position I would love to have, if you want to check out my resume and tell me how bad it is I'd love the feedback. My old resume landed me three tech jobs, the new one not a peep (though I haven't been trying even 75%)

Ill look at it, PM me

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts

Jeoh posted:

hahah herp derp it's always dns!! loving microsoft!! licensing how does it work

To be fair though, Microsoft licensing is loving insane sometimes and they offer MS certifications in it...

The Fool
Oct 16, 2003

Ranter posted:

To be fair though, Microsoft licensing is loving insane sometimes and they offer MS certifications in it...

As demonstrated by the discussion about CAL's earlier this week.

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

Vulture Culture posted:

Reddit is a horrible thing and should be avoided

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DOqb_UzJSUQ

orange sky
May 7, 2007

There's still space in the market for a very functional general IT forum with a good search and good community

I think that way in part because of the fact that I hate technet, although docs.microsoft.com has been pretty good in having organized info

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
Screw this dumb world; I'm just going to read fiction!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyThePhat
Dec 22, 2006

Who nico nico needs anyone else

Just the database manager, sorry. Didn't mean to alarm you.