Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

what if you could craft guns into other guns and also you have to eat and drink and piss and poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jarmak posted:

Honestly I know it feels janky but much like ARMA I think most of it is actually the lack of responsiveness because of (realistic) inertia to the movement. I like twitchy BF1 style games too but I kinda like the realism angle to this game... it's kinda like someone finally made an ARMA-style game that's actually fun.
I don't play other shooters so I wouldn't know, last played a battlefield game like a decade ago.

The movement doesn't feel like real inertia to me. The worst is like, bumping into things and not reacting and in general, just not feeling like a person moving. Your gait doesn't change when you go up hill, you do the same animation just...slower. Show me scramble up rocks when I'm climbing, actually do something when I run into a wall that is at all like a person running at a wall. (Either hurting me as I thud my head on the wall from running into it full speed, or automatically slowing down over some short distance and pressing up against it would be fine here, just don't....continue the running animation as if the animator couldn't be bothered to talk to the collision detection guy.) I enjoy the (somewhat?) realistic bullet physics and other "realism" aspects, but it seems like they stopped short of making you feel human when you're doing something besides running on flat ground and shooting a gun. (Obviously getting bullet physics right was the most important thing, it shows that they paid attention to that the most, but movement should be second imo.)

As far as other movement options, I think a roll would be reasonable as long as it's not spammable. Hearing shots and being able to dive to a tree or whatever would be fine. The other part of it is that it's straight bizarre that nothing in the world moves or emits sound except for vehicles and people(and rain/fog). For a game that runs as poorly as this one on older machines, it sure is static. Even stuff as simple as factory parts moving in the power plant substation would do a lot to make one feel like they were in a place that exists for humans and not a map full of copy-pasted stock assets.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug

Jarmak posted:

Honestly I know it feels janky but much like ARMA I think most of it is actually the lack of responsiveness because of (realistic) inertia to the movement. I like twitchy BF1 style games too but I kinda like the realism angle to this game... it's kinda like someone finally made an ARMA-style game that's actually fun.
when you run and jump and then try to jump again immediately after landing you don't retain your forward running momentum similar to every other game in existence, it makes jumping between crates a chore

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

AlternateAccount posted:

If I invent a time machine and the two buttons on it are KILL HITLER and MAKE THIS EXPLANATION REAL, I would be in a real pickle.

Yeah, imagine a world where the french had longbows!! crazy!

Lemon
May 22, 2003

drat I suck at close-range stuff so much. I feel like at mid to long range as long as I've got decent gear I'd back myself to come out on top most times, but up close I just can't do it. I had a kitted out M416 and had the drop on the dude coming up the stairs to me, but he killed me with an UMP. It didn't help I had a 2x scope instead of a red dot/holographic but I really feel like I should've won that. I'm slowly making progress though, and turning down my sensitivity has worked a lot.

Do most guys ADS when real close? Or just go for the tighter hipfire?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
If it's a staircase or something, yeah, I hipfire. SMGs let you move really fast if you hipfire without even holding RMB for crosshair tightening. It's all about prefiring and getting your cursor on target first, preferably for a headshot, if my experience watching Shroud is correct. I also constantly gently caress up close range fights- the tick rate, lag spikes, and general server sluggishness are suitable enough excuses for my own ego though.

Jarmak
Jan 24, 2005

Jeffrey of YOSPOS posted:

I don't play other shooters so I wouldn't know, last played a battlefield game like a decade ago.

The movement doesn't feel like real inertia to me. The worst is like, bumping into things and not reacting and in general, just not feeling like a person moving. Your gait doesn't change when you go up hill, you do the same animation just...slower. Show me scramble up rocks when I'm climbing, actually do something when I run into a wall that is at all like a person running at a wall. (Either hurting me as I thud my head on the wall from running into it full speed, or automatically slowing down over some short distance and pressing up against it would be fine here, just don't....continue the running animation as if the animator couldn't be bothered to talk to the collision detection guy.) I enjoy the (somewhat?) realistic bullet physics and other "realism" aspects, but it seems like they stopped short of making you feel human when you're doing something besides running on flat ground and shooting a gun. (Obviously getting bullet physics right was the most important thing, it shows that they paid attention to that the most, but movement should be second imo.)

As far as other movement options, I think a roll would be reasonable as long as it's not spammable. Hearing shots and being able to dive to a tree or whatever would be fine. The other part of it is that it's straight bizarre that nothing in the world moves or emits sound except for vehicles and people(and rain/fog). For a game that runs as poorly as this one on older machines, it sure is static. Even stuff as simple as factory parts moving in the power plant substation would do a lot to make one feel like they were in a place that exists for humans and not a map full of copy-pasted stock assets.

Okay yeah I agree with that I thought what you were refering to is the jankiness of the movement compared to something like BF1 which is a common criticism leveled at ARMA that is actually largely due to the player having inertia. Most shooters you can change directions instantaneously. They could definitely do it a lot better.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

Lemon posted:

drat I suck at close-range stuff so much. I feel like at mid to long range as long as I've got decent gear I'd back myself to come out on top most times, but up close I just can't do it. I had a kitted out M416 and had the drop on the dude coming up the stairs to me, but he killed me with an UMP. It didn't help I had a 2x scope instead of a red dot/holographic but I really feel like I should've won that. I'm slowly making progress though, and turning down my sensitivity has worked a lot.

Do most guys ADS when real close? Or just go for the tighter hipfire?

Yea you should have taken that 2x off or hipfired.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

Yea you should have taken that 2x off or hipfired.

I 2X at near point blank ranges all the time. You just have to be ready to pull the recoil down. Also, hip fire should be avoided inside or near objects because it has more recoil and weird camera jack.

void_serfer
Jan 13, 2012

FAUXTON posted:

they can't even blend the animation from walking to strafing
:negative:

True.

Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Dec 22, 2005

GET LOSE, YOU CAN'T COMPARE WITH MY POWERS

Jarmak posted:

Okay yeah I agree with that I thought what you were refering to is the jankiness of the movement compared to something like BF1 which is a common criticism leveled at ARMA that is actually largely due to the player having inertia. Most shooters you can change directions instantaneously. They could definitely do it a lot better.
Yeah, I don't exactly love the feel of having an actual turning radius and all but I recognize that as part of the game and not an issue to be fixed. (I played witcher 3 and frankly my pubg lady may as well be a bloodborne character compared to that.)

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
I like when you are running in FPP and then you hit alt to look around and your arms turn with you.

Thom P. Tiers
May 29, 2008

Red Birds
Red Ass
Red Text

VulgarandStupid posted:

I 2X at near point blank ranges all the time. You just have to be ready to pull the recoil down. Also, hip fire should be avoided inside or near objects because it has more recoil and weird camera jack.

He had a kitted out m4 :shrug:

Lemon
May 22, 2003

Hey like I said I'm not blaming it on the 2x, I just suck at close quarters.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Thom P. Tiers posted:

He had a kitted out m4 :shrug:

Yes, and?

Dyz
Dec 10, 2010
Only hip fire if you plan to move while shooting and don’t hold right click. Holding right click sucks for most guns except maybe the shotties.

Zipperelli.
Apr 3, 2011

Nap Ghost
Tightened crosshairs > Hipfiring.

Always. You just have to make sure you're proficient in switching shoulders as necessary.

Xenaero
Sep 26, 2006

Slippery Tilde

Bhodi posted:

hope the next pubg [...] has bc2 style spotting triangles

gently caress yes, bc2 anything in pubg would be amazing

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why did this games reviews tank in October? Is it still a fun game, or did they ruin it? I came into a bit of money, so I'm looking to get some fun games.

Tweak
Jul 28, 2003

or dont whatever

the reviews are mostly due to inaction on things like hackers, game/net optimization, and releasing paid cosmetics while in EA

game is still fun though

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Turtlicious posted:

Why did this games reviews tank in October? Is it still a fun game, or did they ruin it? I came into a bit of money, so I'm looking to get some fun games.

In a lot of ways the game has gotten harder to play - servers are largely overloaded, so lag and desync have gotten bad. Popularity has lead to a lot of cheaters, though your exposure to those may or may not be limited. Personally, I think the systems requirements have also trended up - it's anecdotal, but system performance has gotten worse for me over the last month or so. I can't account for why, other than that this game is just really poorly optimized.

If you have a great connection, and a relatively current gaming PC you're fine. This game doesn't play well with older hardware or slower connections right now.

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003

The bad reviews all circle around the Chinese situation. Basically PUBG can't buy/rent enough servers in China to keep up with the massive player growth and they're getting overloaded leading to the game feeling lovely for Chinese players on Chinese servers. On top of that, in China, Bluehole is advertising VPNs in game to players to speed up their connections to other regions, pushing a lot of frustrated Chinese players onto other servers. Also, the sellers of cheats, who are mostly Chinese, realized that the NA leaderboard is the default leaderboard, so they need to get top ranks on NA and now the rampant cheating has come to NA. So the Chinese are unhappy, and by extension the NA population is unhappy as well, as well as some of the other regions. In fact, the situation was so bad in the Asia server, aka the China server, that Bluehole just opened a Korean/Japanese server, because even they are sick of the Chinese.

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Not to be "That guy," but uh... I don't think it's super kosher to call all the chinese players cheaters?

e: gently caress I'm bad at reading my bad, I might just wait on it then.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari

Turtlicious posted:

Not to be "That guy," but uh... I don't think it's super kosher to call all the chinese players cheaters?

Why not? Battle eye did.

https://twitter.com/TheBattlEye/status/918734703183659008

https://twitter.com/TheBattlEye/status/918740552316792832

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

Turtlicious posted:

if you don't like casual goon racism against asians, idk why you'd be considering playing pubg

New Zealand can eat me
Aug 29, 2008

:matters:

HOUSEKEEPING

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

nobody is being racist, you idiots

lohli
Jun 30, 2008
Chinese players being problematic due to cheating isn't anything new, there's a cultural thing about how it's only bad if you get caught, and it's fed by a super competitive and high social/parental pressure environment that has people cheating in exams and poo poo to get ahead in life and why China is world renowned for garbage imitation goods that break and sub-standard steel, and that attitude has Chinese players cheating way more than others. The best/worst example of this I remember is in the minecraft zombie game 7daystodie, where if you don't IP range ban china you're guaranteed to have your server griefed to poo poo by hackers constantly.

That cheat developers have a way to have their poo poo advertised built into the game only makes things worse, they should at least filter those names out of the leaderboard lists.

revolther
May 27, 2008
Pretty sure, "It's only cheating if you get caught" is a thing amongst lovely people everywhere. It's probably the massive population disparity between China and the rest of the gaming world, I imagine if you combine most european nations plus US&Canada you probably hit China's billion+ people, so having a 1:1 ratio of all nationality players to Chinese players would make their abundance and any cheating seem especially problematic.

Hooplah
Jul 15, 2006

revolther posted:

Pretty sure, "It's only cheating if you get caught" is a thing amongst lovely people everywhere. It's probably the massive population disparity between China and the rest of the gaming world, I imagine if you combine most european nations plus US&Canada you probably hit China's billion+ people, so having a 1:1 ratio of all nationality players to Chinese players would make their abundance and any cheating seem especially problematic.

That argument doesn't follow. If the vast majority of pubg players aren't from china, then why are the vast majority of the hackers?

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Turtlicious posted:

I just play on the Asian server. Vulgar and Stupid plays on the South American server, but somehow my connection likes passing through the Pacific more than passing through Mexico. Or you can play in First Person mode, that seems to have less cheaters too. I really have only seen definite cheaters in one game, and I've played over 200 at this point.

revolther
May 27, 2008
My argument was the opposite of that. 1:1 ratio. Basically if 1 out of 2 players is chinese, you don't see the correlation of usa/brazilian/swedish cheaters as rampantly cheating.

Example:
USA - Cheating >
BRAZIL - Fair
UK - Cheating >
SWE - Fair
CAN - Cheating > WELP the majority of cheaters are Chinese.
CHINA - Fair
CHINA- Cheating >
CHINA - Fair
CHINA - Cheating >
CHINA - Fair

Even if I were to throw go 3/2 Chinese:Other cheaters it still wouldn't be a very accurate representation due to the scale of difference between populations.

This is also how crime statistics are skewed.

aborn
Jun 2, 2001

1, 2, woop! woop!

revolther posted:

My argument was the opposite of that. 1:1 ratio. Basically if 1 out of 2 players is chinese, you don't see the correlation of usa/brazilian/swedish cheaters as rampantly cheating.

Example:
USA - Cheating >
BRAZIL - Fair
UK - Cheating >
SWE - Fair
CHINA - Fair
CHINA- Cheating >
CHINA - Fair
CHINA - Cheating >
CHINA - Fair

Even if I were to throw go 3/2 Chinese:Other cheaters it still wouldn't be a very accurate representation due to the scale of difference between populations.

What the gently caress is this :psyboom:

always be closing
Jul 16, 2005
Predisposition to cheating is a social construct.

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

revolther posted:

Example:
USA - Cheating >
BRAZIL - Fair
UK - Cheating >
SWE - Fair
CHINA - Fair
CHINA- Cheating >
CHINA - Fair
CHINA - Cheating >
CHINA - Fair

can i get a tl;dr on this social justice

Bobbin Threadbear
May 6, 2007

Turtlicious
Sep 17, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Bobbin Threadbear posted:

can i get a tl;dr on this social justice

There are more chinese player so it seems they cheat more, rather than only the majority of chinese cheat.

I really didn't mean to start this de-rail though, I even walked it back, because I misread what the dude was saying.

Astarath
Jun 23, 2008

Could I see a Hat Wobble?

Hooplah posted:

That argument doesn't follow. If the vast majority of pubg players aren't from china, then why are the vast majority of the hackers?

The vast majority of players aren't hackers, the vast majority of chinese players aren't hackers, but you only need 1% of your player base cheating to have at least one person ruining most, possibly even all, games at any one point in time. When most of the people doing the ruining have a common element to their name, that's where the stereotype starts.

ChesterJT
Dec 28, 2003

Mounty Pumper's Flying Circus

aborn posted:

What the gently caress is this :psyboom:

I'm glad I wasn't the only one that didn't get that flowchart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized

Thems the facts, boyos.