Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Always stop to smell the flowers, just in case they're weeds

Hellsau posted:

What kind of hosed up crimes did that kid admit to in that suicide note?

"I wish I had just died as a baby like I was supposed to. Mom it's your fault I'm killing myself and I hope it drives you to do the same"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Hellsau posted:

What kind of hosed up crimes did that kid admit to in that suicide note?

Either he's admitting to some horrible poo poo, or he's revealing/accusing someone of some horrible poo poo., or something horrible happened to him, or he said something really lovely to someone.

My money is on accusing the mother of some abuse or mishap, might explain why she's so hosed up about it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug
In the comments OP even admits if the note directly blamed mom for the suicide she'd be even worse off, and yet she still refuses to let it go.

Like jfc lady just trust your husband and uncle on this one, if they're still stonewalling you after you've found out about it and are attacking them then it's clear they're really doing it for the sake of your family. If the note had anything to say that would make you/your mom feel better there would be no reason to hide it at this point.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Either die a hero, or live long enough for your in laws to get drunk and make you the villain.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug
gossipy aunt is probably worst one in the story, how does that even come up accidentally.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
what, is your thanksgiving not a rehash of every lovely thing that's ever happened in your family? no? just me then?

TheKennedys
Sep 23, 2006

By my hand, I will take you from this godforsaken internet

DragQueenofAngmar posted:

what, is your thanksgiving not a rehash of every lovely thing that's ever happened in your family? no? just me then?

mine is more an extended reminder of why I don't talk to anyone in my family besides my mother, and even she will happily get in fights about why I'm a dumb hippie for not supporting Glorious Orange Leader

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
The fact that the husband and the uncle worked together and kept the secret about it for years makes me believe that there was some truly heinous poo poo inside that it might be best to leave buried.

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
the bigmouthed aunt really is the true villain there. now the op will always be wondering what the note said, and the husband and uncle's reaction to finding it pretty much guarantees that she will extremely regret knowing if she gets her husband to tell her. that lady (the aunt) fuckin suuuuuucks

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Mine is usually fun, food, someone getting into an argument with grandpa that he can't dig a fire pit in the front yard of a rent house, and activities.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

the bigmouthed aunt really is the true villain there. now the op will always be wondering what the note said, and the husband and uncle's reaction to finding it pretty much guarantees that she will extremely regret knowing if she gets her husband to tell her. that lady (the aunt) fuckin suuuuuucks

Basically its going to take another year or so for Uncle/Husband to coordinate a story about what was "really" in the note; they'll have to invent something thats close enough to a reason to never divulge it, but soft enough that it won't cause too much emotional pain, and then "come clean" and hope for another decade of silence from Aunt Blabbermouth.

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
Not gonna lie, part of me hopes the OP pries it out of her husband because I’m really loving curious what that note said.

Bunni-kat
May 25, 2010

Service Desk B-b-bunny...
How can-ca-caaaaan I
help-p-p-p you?

Bamabalacha posted:

Not gonna lie, part of me hopes the OP pries it out of her husband because I’m really loving curious what that note said.

My bet is pedophilia in some fashion.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Bamabalacha posted:

I guarantee this was the thought of every single person who read the OP. Anyone who didn't think this has an abnormal human psychology.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Proud Musk and Dogecoin fanboy

a dark mirror of the evil stepmother story:

My husband [32/M] threw away a note from my late brother. He destroyed it and never let me [31/F] or my mother [60/F] know he found it. I’m so mad at him but maybe he’s right?

nice buried lede calling it just "a note" in the title lol

Divorce this piece of poo poo.

cumshitter
Sep 27, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Comment from the suicide note OP:

quote:

We couldn't figure out why he killed himself. We couldn't, for the life of us, put it together. Even his therapist was a bit taken aback. She came to the funeral and said she wish there had been signs. Now we know he told us, but we can't solve the mystery because the two of them won't say a darn thing.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Outrail posted:

I guarantee this was the thought of every single person who read the OP. Anyone who didn't think this has an abnormal human psychology.

I genuinely wouldnt care, but I wouldnt read a suicide note in general either.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
He killed himself just after they’d gotten a home loan.

His note simply said: “I lost another one to Ditech.”

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

I just dunno how that'd be something that slips out.

She's just talking about her son's soccer practice or whatever and then transitions into "oh bee tee dubs, you know your brother that killed himself well he actually did leave a note"

Like what is the context here. Was it like an anniversary of his death or something.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

Divorce this piece of poo poo.

You mean the husband who totally did the right thing?

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

You mean the husband who totally did the right thing?

gently caress that. You let people deal with their own pain on their own terms, or you deal with them despising you for denying them that.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

ArbitraryC posted:

I just dunno how that'd be something that slips out.

She's just talking about her son's soccer practice or whatever and then transitions into "oh bee tee dubs, you know your brother that killed himself well he actually did leave a note"

Like what is the context here. Was it like an anniversary of his death or something.

I'm a bored, selfish, loudmouth moron with no sense of tact who cannot shut the gently caress up to save my loved ones a world of hurt if it means I can inject a bright hot spark of drama into my life and gently caress everyone else. Dunno what the aunt's problem is.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Outrail posted:

I'm a bored, selfish, loudmouth moron with no sense of tact who cannot shut the gently caress up to save my loved ones a world of hurt if it means I can inject a bright hot spark of drama into my life and gently caress everyone else. Dunno what the aunt's problem is.

Don’t sign my posts

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

I'm not saying that the husband and uncle didn't act out of what they see as being in the interest of the op and mother, but I absolutely would divorce and never speak to anyone that did that poo poo to me.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

Admiral Ray posted:

gently caress that. You let people deal with their own pain on their own terms, or you deal with them despising you for denying them that.

quote:

By 20 my brother took his own life. No note, nothing. It destroyed my mother who basically laid on the couch for the next dozen years. She had a total breakdown and had to move in with her brother (my uncle)...
When my mother was finally selling the house, my then-boyfriend (now husband) was emptying my brother’s room with my uncle [64/M]. My mother couldn’t handle it, and had left my brothers room as is for years. I took her away for the day and tried to make the best of it. I guess they found a suicide note, read it and immediately destroyed it

Sounds like mom was dealing with her own pain by shutting the door to the brothers room and never moving on. She would literally have never found the note in the first place. Giving her the note is not allowing her to deal with it on her terms, it's forcing her to deal with it on the brother's terms

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
The husband's only mistake was not sticking to the story no matter what aunt big mouth says. What note? What is she talking about? Maybe she misunderstood uncle so and so.

I Was The Fury
Oct 19, 2012

tactlessbastard posted:

The husband's only mistake was not sticking to the story no matter what aunt big mouth says. What note? What is she talking about? Maybe she misunderstood uncle so and so.

The biggest mistake in the entire family was the mom and dad dating, then subsequently having children. Classic mistake, but it can be easily avoided by keeping the 2 D's in mind at all times:

Don't Date

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Admiral Ray posted:

If you found evidence that your late brother was a literal war criminal or something equally heinous would you tell your elderly parents and his widow or just burn it and never think of it again? I dunno, I might want to tell them anyway. It's kind of a lovely situation either way.

Whether or not you agree with them you have to respect the husband for locking that poo poo down and never telling anyone, unlike the loudmouth uncle and his spouse.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Outrail posted:

Whether or not you agree with them you have to respect the husband for locking that poo poo down and never telling anyone, unlike the loudmouth uncle and his spouse.

No, you really don't.

It was never his decision to make.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

With the health problems it was a simple blaming the mother for 20 years of cumulative pain

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Counterpoint: what if the suicide note said he was being abused by the uncle

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

Outrail posted:

If you found evidence that your late brother was a literal war criminal or something equally heinous would you tell your elderly parents and his widow or just burn it and never think of it again? I dunno, I might want to tell them anyway. It's kind of a lovely situation either way.

I would tell them there was a note, at the very least, and not remove the decision to read it from them.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

I would tell them there was a note, at the very least, and not remove the decision to read it from them.

If the note specifically blamed the mother for his suicide and in turn she killed himself would you just dust off your hands and walk away thinking you did the right thing? Like obviously if they're hiding it the contents of the note are hurtful to the people they're hiding it from. The mother already took it super harsh, you think she'd have been better off seeing whatever it was that they hid?

DragQueenofAngmar
Dec 29, 2009

You shall not pass!
I think it was for the moms sake. the OP says she basically collapsed for over a decade due to her sons suicide, imagine what her reaction would be if the note blamed her. you can argue that it was still wrong of the husband and uncle but I think it's pretty clear they thought revealing the note would quite possibly result in another death

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

If the note specifically blamed the mother for his suicide and in turn she killed himself would you just dust off your hands and walk away thinking you did the right thing? Like obviously if they're hiding it the contents of the note are hurtful to the people they're hiding it from. The mother already took it super harsh, you think she'd have been better off seeing whatever it was that they hid?

The note probably did blame the mother and the sister and every other person, but that's not the point. I wouldn't destroy it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

The note probably did blame the mother and the sister and every other person, but that's not the point. I wouldn't destroy it.

It's not the point that the consequences for sharing it could be (and likely would have been considering they're still stonewalling) so much worse than hiding it? At this point they literally have nothing to gain by not saying anything and their only possible motive is obviously a just one.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
You never take such a huge decision away from another person. Never.

When it was that woman a few pages ago who went and removed every single memento and photo of her husband's late wife, everyone tore her apart. Because how dare anyone do something like that.

Yes, the letter may have hurt, but nothing gives a person the right to just destroy that. Steal that closure from a hurting mother and sister.

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

It's not the point that the consequences for sharing it could be (and likely would have been considering they're still stonewalling) so much worse than hiding it? At this point they literally have nothing to gain by not saying anything and their only possible motive is obviously a just one.

I don't give a gently caress about their motive, and it's obvious what it was: to protect the mother and sister. That doesn't mean they did the right, or wrong thing. I'm saying that I 100% understand where the OP is coming from in feeling betrayed and that I, if I were in the same position, would never speak to the husband or uncle again.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Admiral Ray posted:

I don't give a gently caress about their motive, and it's obvious what it was: to protect the mother and sister. That doesn't mean they did the right, or wrong thing. I'm saying that I 100% understand where the OP is coming from in feeling betrayed and that I, if I were in the same position, would never speak to the husband or uncle again.

So to ask you the question again would you have considered it a better outcome if they shared the note and the mom killed herself?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Ray
May 17, 2014

ArbitraryC posted:

So to ask you the question again would you have considered it a better outcome if they shared the note and the mom killed herself?

No, and that doesn't change my response knowing it was withheld.