Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
To be fair lowtax had over his absence been completely unaware of loosechange.jpg and when he found out he banned him instantly

Same as aatrek being outed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Lowtax was hardly the only person empowered to demod and ban a dude.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Hidingo Kojimba posted:

Yeah but current RPG.net mods have actually personally inconvenienced some of the people in this thread so of course they’re the real monsters.

I didn't go that far, and I don't think anyone else did. We're just venting to not think about horrible things, I'd guess. Or something like that.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

Naw dude, I'm pretty sure or at least suspected those tendencies in Shmorky for a while. Not to mention that people have gotten banned for way less than being a goddamned diaperfur over here. Even if I did accept that only his most recent actions were a factor in his banning, it's not like Shmorky is the only example here. It took forever to get rid of Loosechanj even though Loosechanj.jpg was known and shared for years, not to mention guys like the Ducktales fanficcer mod who admitted to sniffing women's hair in the subway, and had to step down voluntarily.

That's not even going into the fuckups of completely different websites, like the current trainwreck that is NeoGAF.

I'm not going to say rpg.net is perfect but I can at least accept that their behavior was passable, at least when compared to people's seemingly boundless capacity to gently caress up.

Shmorky was banned years before being outed as a pedophile abuser. Lowtax upgraded it to a permaban after it came out.

Bedlamdan
Apr 25, 2008

Nuns with Guns posted:

Shmorky was banned years before being outed as a pedophile abuser. Lowtax upgraded it to a permaban after it came out.

Oh, then that's my bad.

I only heard Shmorky was banned from the Let's Play drama associated with it so I'm probably confused about what happened when.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Bedlamdan posted:

Oh, then that's my bad.

I only heard Shmorky was banned from the Let's Play drama associated with it so I'm probably confused about what happened when.

It's cool. I only remember it because it came up when all that poo poo happened, and people didn't believe lowtax for a while because he did the ban through the admin panel, which doesn't show up in the leper's colony.

Nuns with Guns fucked around with this message at 05:48 on Oct 27, 2017

Mormon Star Wars
Aug 13, 2005
It's a minotaur race...

Hot Take: RPGnet moderation is good for the kind of community they are wanting to build, which is different than this community, and it is good that it exists so that people that cannot thrive here still have a place to talk about the elfgames in a way that suits them.

It's also good because getting red-texted for something small and dumb makes you feel like a rebel even if the infraction was like, "Please stop posting pictures of Kopru in every thread." See: Everyone who ever went to RPGSite with "I was EXILED by the FASCIST MODS" when their infraction was an admonishment not to sign their posts.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Hot Take: RPGnet moderation is good for the kind of community they are wanting to build, which is different than this community, and it is good that it exists so that people that cannot thrive here still have a place to talk about the elfgames in a way that suits them.

It's also good because getting red-texted for something small and dumb makes you feel like a rebel even if the infraction was like, "Please stop posting pictures of Kopru in every thread." See: Everyone who ever went to RPGSite with "I was EXILED by the FASCIST MODS" when their infraction was an admonishment not to sign their posts.

Mmmmm, no, wrong. The One True Good Moderation Policy is here, where it's questionable if you will even face sanction for calling someone a "human being" or "retard." That kind of overt aggression is much more preferable than passagg posters, which definitely don't also exist here.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Maybe the answer is nowhere in the middle.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Maybe the answer is nowhere in the middle.

There is no ethical shitposting under market fragmentation.

ravenkult
Feb 3, 2011

No you're right, the good kind of community is where rapists roam free because mods ~*can't take the pressure*~ of making that kind of decision.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

Levi Kornelsen posted:

Ignoring that and dropping the widest, biggest load of poo poo you can find instead?

That means you're giving cover to aforementioned doxxers and death-threateners, mixed right in there with whatever useful critique is being delivered.
People sending death threats is irrelevant. Frank Miller received death threats for making Holy Terror. Should old Franky boy be given carte blanch to be the huge Islamophobic piece of poo poo he is, without criticism, because some people sent him death threats? Are you going to trot out "death threats" as a reason to avoid critiquing all other pieces of Hate Speech media, because all of them end up getting some death threats? I mean that is what Beast is, overt hate speech. It's just that instead of attacking minority races or religions Beast is a hate speech attack on people who have suffered abuse. It is roleplaying out inflicting violence on previous victims of abuse, that is literally the whole game.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

ravenkult posted:

No you're right, the good kind of community is where rapists roam free because mods ~*can't take the pressure*~ of making that kind of decision.

Also wrong. Nothing is ever good.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

That Old Tree posted:

There is no ethical shitposting under market fragmentation.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Internet Mods are petty scum of the Earth no matter where they are and should be repeatedly beaten by other posters IRL lest they forget their place.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Nah encouraging pass agg nonsense and line toeing instead of moderating based on context is garbage and makes for a garbage community

If your goal was to make a garbage community congrats but also it's still garbage

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

To be fair lowtax had over his absence been completely unaware of loosechange.jpg and when he found out he banned him instantly

Same as aatrek being outed

Aatrek was a bit more cut-and-dry- it wasn't just a question of "we should believe victims", he'd been like convicted and confessed (sort of), he was like 120% guilty.

Valatar
Sep 26, 2011

A remarkable example of a pathetic species.
Lipstick Apathy
I think a lot of people have lost a healthy skepticism of things on the internet. I've seen lines starting with, "In a post-Weinstein world..." then going on to accuse some rando of perving on some other rando. No. Weinstein was accused by actual people, in person, to journalists of national publications. Whereas what I'm seeing often is an effectively anonymous forum or twitter account tossing out an accusation at a person, where not only is there no proof the event occurred, there's no proof the person exists.

I could run over to GBS and post, "I'm feeling very unsafe in SA now, I've kept this story to myself for years, but my dog is transgender and a drunken Lowtax broke into my house in 1997, misgendered my dog, then sexually harassed her before telling me, 'If you post about this, I'll loving kill you.' He then stabbed me in the thigh with a sharp pre-recall 1980s lawn dart and ran nakedly into the night." Then go out on twitter, make another account, #metoo, and @ a link of the post to some youtubers and bloggers. Any random shitposter can do that, there's nothing stopping anyone from fabricating a claim of horrible misconduct in the space of five minutes.

There's been a lot of, "Oh, we have to believe the victims", and I agree that in the real world people shouldn't be making GBS threads on people who raise claims of mistreatment before investigations have occurred to verify or debunk the claims. However when it comes to forums, I think it's reasonable to demand a baseline of evidence to ensure at the very least that there is a victim, and that the whole thing isn't bullshit before going around with the torches and pitchforks. Otherwise it's just too easy to troll someone with a little spare time.

NGDBSS
Dec 30, 2009

:stare:

Hoo boy did you just step into a minefield of your own creation. (I'll let others who are far more qualified than me speak further on the subject.)

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Okay but see much like GamerGate that "trust but verify" thing was already mostly happening, and "well, actually"ing is usually nothing more than muddying the waters, making you a (hopefully accidental) fellow traveler to some real pieces of poo poo. The person who outed Matt as a rapist didn't just drive-by shitpost. The Bill Webb and other PaizoCon stuff wasn't solely the domain of third-hand gossip. Most false accusations along these lines fall apart pretty quickly, if they're not transparently trolling from the start. So why are you bringing up this worry, now?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Valatar posted:

There's been a lot of, "Oh, we have to believe the victims", and I agree that in the real world people shouldn't be making GBS threads on people who raise claims of mistreatment before investigations have occurred to verify or debunk the claims. However when it comes to forums, I think it's reasonable to demand a baseline of evidence to ensure at the very least that there is a victim, and that the whole thing isn't bullshit before going around with the torches and pitchforks. Otherwise it's just too easy to troll someone with a little spare time.

If you're still talking about BHM. When confronted with the accusation he voluntarily stepped down. And the accuser was in touch with the mods in private. There's very little doubt that something happened, we're just in the dark on degree.

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

"Don't believe accusations of harassment" is a pretty hot take and definitely not standard operating procedure for our entire lovely culture.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Valatar posted:

Long-winded bullshit
"Accusers are malicious liars out to ruin people for lulz and we should treat them as such until they jump through a bunch of hoops."

There, I cut it down for you.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I would encourage Valatar to stay away from hypotheticals and just take it as it comes, particularly because this isn't a frequent enough thing to worry about (thank goodness).

RPZip
Feb 6, 2009

WORDS IN THE HEART
CANNOT BE TAKEN

Mormon Star Wars posted:

Having been reading their forums again recently, I wish this was something that people would get smacked on the nose for instead of almost the norm.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Kurieg posted:

If you're still talking about BHM. When confronted with the accusation he voluntarily stepped down. And the accuser was in touch with the mods in private. There's very little doubt that something happened, we're just in the dark on degree.

Yeah, I certainly don't mean to say he's not guilty- I think the delay in banning him was down to trying to verify.

Comrade Gorbash
Jul 12, 2011

My paper soldiers form a wall, five paces thick and twice as tall.
Filled my concern troll Bingo card, who do I turn it in to for the prize?

The Lore Bear
Jan 21, 2014

I don't know what to put here. Guys? GUYS?!

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yeah, I certainly don't mean to say he's not guilty- I think the delay in banning him was down to trying to verify.

As things go, it would have probably been better to snap-ban him then unban him if something came up.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

RPZip posted:

Having been reading their forums again recently, I wish this was something that people would get smacked on the nose for instead of almost the norm.

Wow I didn’t know you were racist against kopru. They just want to be left alone!

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.
a Kopru charmed me and made me kill my dog

Ironslave
Aug 8, 2006

Corpse runner

That Old Tree posted:

Okay but see much like GamerGate that "trust but verify" thing was already mostly happening, and "well, actually"ing is usually nothing more than muddying the waters, making you a (hopefully accidental) fellow traveler to some real pieces of poo poo. The person who outed Matt as a rapist didn't just drive-by shitpost. The Bill Webb and other PaizoCon stuff wasn't solely the domain of third-hand gossip. Most false accusations along these lines fall apart pretty quickly, if they're not transparently trolling from the start. So why are you bringing up this worry, now?

Probably because they weren't being genuine (Lowtax raped my transgender dog? The gently caress?), because they haven't been following it, or because of the lack of detaiils for the very understandable desire to not suddenly expose more about the accuser beyond what is already known.

Honestly I lean towards #1, but maybe they just thought they were being witty.

Jimbozig
Sep 30, 2003

I like sharing and ice cream and animals.
Yeah, the time to worry about whether a claim may be false is when the accused actually denies it. When the accused just steps down and goes silent or admits it, there is no need for that poo poo at all.

In some hypothetical where the accusation is made anonymously and with no evidence and where the accused says that it is categorically untrue, then you might legitimately ask about credibility... But unless I am much mistaken, this has never once happened in the RPG community.

You are getting poo poo from people because you are worrying about something that hasn't happened instead of worrying about the thing that keeps loving happening over and over: men assaulting and harassing women.

Edit: to be clear, I am addressing valatar.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

That Old Tree posted:

Also wrong. Nothing is ever good.
Ah yes, but we have to briefly entertain the prospect in order to keep mainlining the dopamine of disappointment and despair.

Valatar posted:

I think a lot of people have lost a healthy skepticism of things on the internet. I've seen lines starting with, "In a post-Weinstein world..." then going on to accuse some rando of perving on some other rando. No. Weinstein was accused by actual people, in person, to journalists of national publications. Whereas what I'm seeing often is an effectively anonymous forum or twitter account tossing out an accusation at a person, where not only is there no proof the event occurred, there's no proof the person exists.

I could run over to GBS and post, "I'm feeling very unsafe in SA now, I've kept this story to myself for years, but my dog is transgender and a drunken Lowtax broke into my house in 1997, misgendered my dog, then sexually harassed her before telling me, 'If you post about this, I'll loving kill you.' He then stabbed me in the thigh with a sharp pre-recall 1980s lawn dart and ran nakedly into the night." Then go out on twitter, make another account, #metoo, and @ a link of the post to some youtubers and bloggers. Any random shitposter can do that, there's nothing stopping anyone from fabricating a claim of horrible misconduct in the space of five minutes.

Where are you seeing this? Can you provide... evidence? :ironicat:

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Valatar posted:

we have people who are supposed to investigate claims of abuse, we don't call them forum mods.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

I honestly believe that soon there will be, if there weren't not, trolls and other kind of psychopaths springing out anonymous accusations of abuse against ideological or personal enemies so I think there SHOULD be some scrutiny before judging someone as an abuser or not.

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

The problem is that there's very little daylight between scrutiny of an accuser and a default accusation that they're lying.

And its already an uphill credibility struggle for the accuser, especially in a tribal culture like nerd games. Its inherently easier to believe that a low status unknown is lying than accept that a high status individual moonlights as a despicable creep. We saw this same thing in PSU football scandal.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
It's not really a situation where any of the options are great, especially since the reasoning behind "believe women" starts to weaken once people actually start doing it.

Gerund
Sep 12, 2007

He push a man

The people who you- most likely- fear are going to use false accusations as a weapon in the unknowable future, are also the people who are against rape accusations being used against powerful people to begin with; and therefore they are unlikely to do so.

Concern-trolling about this subject, at this time, in response to what appears to be a serious accusation of an adult raping a 16 year old... that is, in fact, kinda lovely.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Gerund posted:

The people who you- most likely- fear are going to use false accusations as a weapon in the unknowable future, are also the people who are against rape accusations being used against powerful people to begin with; and therefore they are unlikely to do so.

There's indeed people who would love to use abuse as a cudgel dude

https://twitter.com/Cernovich/status/921840239114461184

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Maxwell Lord posted:

Does verification require a real person to appear in front of an RPGnet mod, or is it mere internet conversation?

• Locked thread