Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica
I'm a big guy. The one or two times a year I wear a tie I go with the four-in-hand cause it's quick and considered acceptable for my generation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I haven't worn a tie since 8th grade graduation. It was a football tie.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

the spyder posted:

It's super easy, but it's just like paint. 90% of the work is cleaning, inspection, and prep.

That I can do.
The $1000 or so for all the soft seals and apex seals is a bit ouchy to me, but cheap compared to a lot of engines.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Exactly.

Buttons go:

Sometimes
Always
Never

And if it's two buttons:

Sometimes
Never

Well, hey, I didn't know that either, at least the two-button part.

Dagen H posted:

When did this start? Back in my day, you left the bottom undone when seated, and buttoned it when you stood.

See, that's what I remember.

The Midniter posted:

Lookin' good, Rhyno. Keep that drat suit.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Ferremit posted:

sigh.... It looks like my graphics card might be too crap to play the new Wolfenstein. Get random freezes all the time even tho its a GTX 770 4gb card.

Thats a $600 problem i didnt really want to have

Yeah, that sort of crap is why I didn't quail at paying $300 for an Xbox. It might not look *quite* as good, but I literally never have that problem. On the minus side, you have to learn to play using a controller.

And I use a half-Windsor when I need to wear a tie. I think the full Windsor looks fat and gigantic. I like the neat and tidy half-Windsor and being of a long torso, a full Windsor makes most ties far too short on me.

edit: actually, after looking at it, apparently the knot I learned (from the Boy Scout Handbook!) is a four-in-hand. Half-Windsor has another wrap inside the neck loop.

Darchangel fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 27, 2017

everdave
Nov 14, 2005
Tie chat: I don't know what you call the way I tie my ties other than "live with a single mother and this is what the neighbor taught me before my 6th grade dance nearly 30 years ago". No one has ever said it looked bad so I guess I'm good.

GPS chat: just in case anyone was looking for one, I got the $50 spytec gps tracker and after it not working at all, their tech support gets back to you pretty fast by email and I guess they updated something for me because it has been working ever since. It is on crap T-Mobile service though which sucks around here.

Anyone have any input on security camera systems available on Amazon? My main issue is how hard is it to mount and run wire/network when I have nothing at the house set up?

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
A graphics card that isn't good enough isn't going to 'freeze' though, that's a problem in the sense of something not working right.
Remember the Xbox red ring of death? My computers never did that :v:

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

everdave posted:

Anyone have any input on security camera systems available on Amazon? My main issue is how hard is it to mount and run wire/network when I have nothing at the house set up?

Ubiquiti aircams are pretty great and don't have a proprietary controller (run by software on a PC.) Sub-$100 per camera if you buy in lots of 3 or more.

As far as dragging cable, how old is the house? This is a big factor in how hard dragging the cable will be.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

everdave posted:

Tie chat: I don't know what you call the way I tie my ties other than "live with a single mother and this is what the neighbor taught me before my 6th grade dance nearly 30 years ago". No one has ever said it looked bad so I guess I'm good.

GPS chat: just in case anyone was looking for one, I got the $50 spytec gps tracker and after it not working at all, their tech support gets back to you pretty fast by email and I guess they updated something for me because it has been working ever since. It is on crap T-Mobile service though which sucks around here.

Over-under-over-around-through. If that's how you do it it's a four in hand.

Luxrage
Jan 2, 2017

I have no idea what I'm doing!

The last few days have been hectic at work, found out this morning that they are going to balance our shifts at work and send someone to nights (B Shift). They're going by seniority if nobody volunteers, so that means me. I'm rather fond of C-shift, and I desperately do not want to work nights, as it is going to mess with just about everything I've set up. Our boss is real old-fashioned and tends to not like people suggesting how he should do his job. He was told that someone had to move to B shift, so he's taking someone from C. Actually, someone from A shift has said they want to go to B, so why not move me to A and him to B (we do the same work)? Nope, out of the question, because he wants to do it this way.

Regardless, I opened the sunroof for the first time yesterday! It was super brittle and dry-rotted, and judging by how dirty it is, I don't think it has been opened in quite a long time! The little plastic clips on the top that were holding it to the swing-arm roof support promptly failed as soon as I got up to highway speed, showering me with dirt chunks and bits of bad roof seal! The previous owner didn't really try to install it very well, so I'm hoping all the hardware I need to put the new one one on is still there. Also, I just got notification that the new top has arrived, so I'm gonna clean up the truck and install it this weekend!

I cut my hand on the broken radio trim bezel while checking out the heater controls, but I did manage to get the radio out of demo mode and turn the clock on. The display works properly 70% of the time.

The floor mat is also trying to kill me:

It's all inspected, insured, and registered! The registration wasn't pleased with the owners, they filled out my paperwork on a several years past revised version of the seller paperwork:

Right now I'm just busy finding out what works and what doesnt, like this hole in the washer fluid line:

Does anyone know of a thread this truck would be applicable for? I already post the wagon stuff in the ford panther thread, is there a similar one for these Tracker/Sidekicks?

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

Buttons go:

Sometimes
Always
Never

There's only one man I've seen pull off an Always Always Always

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
I just wear jeans and t-shirts pretty much all the time. :shrug:

everdave posted:

I have CCTV running on network cabling. Just get yourself the bits to terminate them at the length you need, so you only have to draw through the small-diameter of the cable, not try and get the RJ45 on the end through things. I used plastic electrical conduit for it in a lot of places, rather than trying to run it internally through some awkward sections - looks neater, and means someone would need more than just a pait of snips to cut the cable (though I have it set up such that effectively you can't get at any of the cameras without at least one seeing you).

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

everdave posted:

I use the Arlo Pro system. The cameras are fully wireless. They have a built in battery that I get a few months out of between charges and the mount is a magnetic ball mount. The app records on motion and sends alerts to your phone. But they need internet to work.

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Geoj posted:

Ubiquiti aircams are pretty great and don't have a proprietary controller (run by software on a PC.) Sub-$100 per camera if you buy in lots of 3 or more.

As far as dragging cable, how old is the house? This is a big factor in how hard dragging the cable will be.

Built in 1960. I can get in attic through a tiny entry door (seriously tiny) and lay the cables out on top of insulation if that is safe. I still have fuses, not breakers.

Fermented Tinal posted:

Over-under-over-around-through. If that's how you do it it's a four in hand.

That sounds like it!

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Coredump posted:

I use the Arlo Pro system. The cameras are fully wireless. They have a built in battery that I get a few months out of between charges and the mount is a magnetic ball mount. The app records on motion and sends alerts to your phone. But they need internet to work.

I have internet, do they run off wifi? I assume so. It is just I see these 8 camera systems (without hard drive included but I run a comp repair shop) for stupid cheap like $120 on amazon. Will read up on arlo and Ubiquiti tonight.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Wowza, quite. Few pMs about the suit vendor, I thought you guys were kidding!

http://m.ebay.com/sch/wish-wedding/m.html?isRefine=true&_nkw=&_armrs=1&_ipg=&_from=&_mwBanner=1

All told it took 27 days from order to delivery.

Also hat shirt was just the first white one I had that was clean, it's a size too big and needed to be ironed which is why it looks so dopey.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

everdave posted:

Built in 1960. I can get in attic through a tiny entry door (seriously tiny) and lay the cables out on top of insulation if that is safe. I still have fuses, not breakers.

That sounds like it!

You can run cable across insulation, it's fine. Just get plenum riser cable to be safe..

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

ilkhan posted:

GTX1060 is not $600.

1060’s are still $4-500 here in downunder land and if your going to drop that much on a card you may as well throw another $100-200 down and get a 1070.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof
Just returned my Pixel 2 XL and got some new speakers instead.

LET'S FUCKIN DO THIS!

I'm gonna wait it out and see what Google does about all the complaints people have. The price of the phone has already dropped $50 in the store and google is now offering 2 year warranties... sooooo...

Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

everdave posted:

I have internet, do they run off wifi? I assume so. It is just I see these 8 camera systems (without hard drive included but I run a comp repair shop) for stupid cheap like $120 on amazon. Will read up on arlo and Ubiquiti tonight.

I bought a unifi G3 outdoor camera about 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure I am yet quite fully convinced by it. The image quality off it is pretty good but the software is not as good as it could be.

Ubiquiti have some lovely UI designers (I had to RTFM just to find where the main 'settings' menus was hidden), and some lovely programmers, and getting my camera to be managed by the software was a pain that involved firmware updates and a couple of resets before it did it.

You have to have the software running for it to record to. I've got it on my windows desktop at the moment and it has yet to manage to do more than 4 days unattended before crashing and stopping recording. I've got it largely to cover the house when i'm away M-F.

The default motion detect settings are also useless. Until Wednesday mine was recording about 75% of the time at night as it picked up every single bug that flew past the IR. I've now turned the 'motion event trigger duration' up and it got through one night with only 3 or 4 minutes of footage until thismorning when my 4:30am shower before work woke up a spider who built a web in front of the camera.

During the day it records every time the sun comes in and out and the shadows re-appear (which is a lot in the UK!), and triggers itself every sunrise and sunset when the IR goes on or off - but it often misses real motion - a cat can wander slowly across the garden and its not guaranteed to record it unless it was at night and it set the PIR on my security light off (at which point the light change triggers the camera not the motion)

If you want a logon to my unifi DVR software to check out the quality of the picture then drop me a PM.

Tomarse fucked around with this message at 23:51 on Oct 27, 2017

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

LET'S FUCKIN DO THIS!

I'm gonna wait it out and see what Google does about all the complaints people have. The price of the phone has already dropped $50 in the store and google is now offering 2 year warranties... sooooo...

Whats wrong with the pixel 2 XL?

I suspect iphone X will top it in complaints.

mariooncrack
Dec 27, 2008

rdb posted:

https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/26/16555406/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in-color-concerns-software-updates

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rdb posted:

the only complaint apple will get about the iPhone X is that it costs a lot of money, which is pretty standard for people to whine about

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

the only complaint apple will get about the iPhone X is that it costs a lot of money

:toxx:

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.
It’s so good, I wish I could get one sooner.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

if steve was still around i would, but i think the last big PR incident they had with their hardware was the antennae thing

trouser chili
Mar 27, 2002

Unnngggggghhhhh

How?

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Isn't this the second one of those you've posted?

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Enourmo posted:

Isn't this the second one of those you've posted?

And third :v:

rdb
Jul 8, 2002
chicken mctesticles?

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

if steve was still around i would, but i think the last big PR incident they had with their hardware was the antennae thing

You forgot the bending thing with the 6 plus, and something about bulging batteries with the 8.

I suspect with the supposed supply/production issues there is going to be some sort of hardware fault.

Also face id will be glitchy at best.

I pre ordered one so November 3rd I will find out. If its really bad or just to small for my hands my wife wants it and I will get an 8+.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

EasyOutSuccess.jpg

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

rdb posted:

You forgot the bending thing with the 6 plus, and something about bulging batteries with the 8.

I suspect with the supposed supply/production issues there is going to be some sort of hardware fault.

Also face id will be glitchy at best.

I pre ordered one so November 3rd I will find out. If its really bad or just to small for my hands my wife wants it and I will get an 8+.

The only way that phone bent was with direct and strong pressure. So many dumbass kids would bend their phone to get a new one and I got to be the one to tell them that they’re dipshits it owned

Face ID may be ditzy for a while until it learns your face, but honestly my only complaint is that Touch ID is going away and they didn’t follow up on their parent to embed it in the glass so you could use it anywhere

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

Ok then

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

LET'S FUCKIN DO THIS!

They already dropped the price? Fuckers.

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Tomarse posted:

I bought a unifi G3 outdoor camera about 4 weeks ago. I'm not sure I am yet quite fully convinced by it. The image quality off it is pretty good but the software is not as good as it could be.

Ubiquiti have some lovely UI designers (I had to RTFM just to find where the main 'settings' menus was hidden), and some lovely programmers, and getting my camera to be managed by the software was a pain that involved firmware updates and a couple of resets before it did it.

You have to have the software running for it to record to. I've got it on my windows desktop at the moment and it has yet to manage to do more than 4 days unattended before crashing and stopping recording. I've got it largely to cover the house when i'm away M-F.

The default motion detect settings are also useless. Until Wednesday mine was recording about 75% of the time at night as it picked up every single bug that flew past the IR. I've now turned the 'motion event trigger duration' up and it got through one night with only 3 or 4 minutes of footage until thismorning when my 4:30am shower before work woke up a spider who built a web in front of the camera.

During the day it records every time the sun comes in and out and the shadows re-appear (which is a lot in the UK!), and triggers itself every sunrise and sunset when the IR goes on or off - but it often misses real motion - a cat can wander slowly across the garden and its not guaranteed to record it unless it was at night and it set the PIR on my security light off (at which point the light change triggers the camera not the motion)

If you want a logon to my unifi DVR software to check out the quality of the picture then drop me a PM.
Man that sounds like poo poo I don’t want to deal with. I either want it recording full time to a dedicated box or just get alerts and be a ken to pull up proof if X was at my house. I’m foggyvwith a head cold going to read up on some of these and will drop you a line if I want to pursue what you have but right now that sounds like a big hassle.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

whats remarkable about these cups?

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

BraveUlysses posted:

whats remarkable about these cups?

apparently goons have problems with tearing the bottom of them off when removing the wrapper

everdave
Nov 14, 2005

Coredump posted:

Do you have the new or first gen arlo Pro? Amazon has the base station with 1 camera for just $219

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

FAT32 SHAMER posted:

The only way that phone bent was with direct and strong pressure. So many dumbass kids would bend their phone to get a new one and I got to be the one to tell them that they’re dipshits it owned

Face ID may be ditzy for a while until it learns your face, but honestly my only complaint is that Touch ID is going away and they didn’t follow up on their parent to embed it in the glass so you could use it anywhere

You forgot the one where the 6 plus didn't bend per se, but they would twist enough to gently caress up some of the soldered motherboard connections, and then the screen would exhibit grey lines and it no longer senses touch. Replacing the screen assembly does nothing. They did revise the motherboard after a while to mitigate it, but I was stuck with a $350 repair a year after I paid $750 for the phone. Good times.

At least the HTC One I had died because of something I actually did.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Long story short, someone bought a purebred Patterdale terrier from a breeder in Ohio, had it shipped here to SC. Had the dog for months, took very good care of her. Socialized, house trained, very easy to deal with. The best terrier puppy I've ever been around.

We don't know the story, but she got dropped off at a local fox hunt, said they couldn't take care of her, and from there taken to the shelter. The shelter vet works 1 day a week with my wife, and brought it over "in case someone here wants it"....knowing good and well my wife has terriers. She called me and I could not make any objection.

Tl;dr - we have another dog. Her name is Darby.

angryrobots fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Oct 28, 2017

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Who's a big sweetie????

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FAT32 SHAMER
Aug 16, 2012

angryrobots posted:

Long story short, someone bought a purebred Patterdale terrier from a breeder in Ohio, had it shipped here to SC. Had the dog for months, took very good care of her. Socialized, house trained, very easy to deal with. The best terrier puppy I've ever been around.

We don't know the story, but she got dropped off at a local fox hunt, said they couldn't take care of her, and from there taken to the shelter. The shelter vet works 1 day a week with my wife, and brought it over "in case someone here wants it"....knowing good and well my wife has terriers. She called me and I could not make any objection.

Tl;dr - we have another dog. Her name is Darby.

i wanna pet that dogge

• Locked thread