Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
So I got a used copy of Nations for about $60 the other day, what should I know about easy-to-miss rules and such before playing it? I've played it once before, but it was ages ago and I barely remember anything except something about wars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

T'Zolkin is a game that has aged gracefully. I love it's "spin" on worker placement.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

djfooboo posted:

T'Zolkin is a game that has aged gracefully. I love it's "spin" on worker placement.

Yet just like Vlaada's Dungeon games I never get a chance to play it because there aren't exactly three other people who want to play and bots suck.

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Morpheus posted:

So I got a used copy of Nations for about $60 the other day, what should I know about easy-to-miss rules and such before playing it? I've played it once before, but it was ages ago and I barely remember anything except something about wars.

You’re in Ottawa, right?

You get the one from that Facebook group?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

What train games are best with 3? I'm struggling to think of the best but some friends just bailed on board games tonight so it's down to 3 people and we were all looking forward to train games. They all seem to be best with 5 to really encourage elbowing out your opponents. I have Chicago Express, 1846, Steam, and Iron Dragon on me.

djfooboo posted:

:yeah:

e: If anyone gets to try charterstone from spiel, I'd like to see more thoughts. I have it preordered from CSI and Rahdo really likes it. I seem to have similar tastes wrt non-mean euros as him and his imaginary wife but more opinions are always good

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 17:58 on Oct 27, 2017

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010

Chill la Chill posted:

What train games are best with 3? I'm struggling to think of the best but some friends just bailed on board games tonight so it's down to 3 people and we were all looking forward to train games. They all seem to be best with 5 to really encourage elbowing out your opponents. I have Chicago Express, 1846, Steam, and Iron Dragon on me.

1846 and CE are good with 3.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

e: If anyone gets to try charterstone from spiel, I'd like to see more thoughts. I have it preordered from CSI and Rahdo really likes it. I seem to have similar tastes wrt non-mean euros as him and his imaginary wife but more opinions are always good

I watched Rodney's video and it seemed like the first game will be a very simple, kinda generic WP game, but that's probably inevitable if the goal is to develop into a wide variety of unique games.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

I believe Steam over Holland is best with 3

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

djfooboo posted:

I enjoyed Tzol'kin, but for four-dimensional games it may just have been trumped by Noria. Report to follow when I've played more than a third of a game demo.

Re: Charterstone - read cards 1-4 as well as the Chronicle before setting up your first game, they clear up a couple of things. If you just want to do a component check, player pieces are in the Charter Chest and game resources are in the Scriptorium. Nothing else is in those boxes, so you won't be spoiled.

Japanese Dating Sim
Nov 12, 2003

hehe
Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

:yeah:

Dukes of Dice (I just started listening) did an episode on it with a pretty thorough, considered review if you want to take a listen.

Main takeaways I got from it:

- After the first game (which would've made for an awful game if that's all there was) the rules modifications happen pretty fast though that might've been due to them playing with the full 6 people. One guy said he had a hard time keeping up with the changes the first 3-4 games or so. (Apart from that it sounds like it actually scales well).

- The narrative is fine but not the compelling reason to play the game as it was for many in Pandemic Legacy. Probably the weakest aspect.

- It's a "friendly" competitive game. They didn't really talk at all about snowballing or runaway winners apart from saying that the new mechanics that are introduced are good at making certain tactics that might seem especially powerful one game less so another, so you won't just be doing the same actions over and over. I was glad to hear this after experiencing Seafall. :suicide:

- Mid-weight game whose main source of complexity is the number of options for players once the game has gone on for 7+ sessions. Fairly simple, but might be a problem for AP-prone people.

- On a scale of 1-6 they both gave it a score of 5. One of them said he'd probably play it again (the whole campaign) with another group, the other said he was probably not going to bother. They both said they liked Pandemic Legacy better, I think, though obviously noted that they're very different games.

Japanese Dating Sim fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Oct 27, 2017

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

I keep seeing that on top of Clearclaw's list and it's like $250. But I might be down for it after really digesting 1846. I did pay $150 for napoleon's triumph already. Yet somehow, probably because of overproduction or just plain quality of game, I won't pay $150+ for these ridiculous CMON games with a ton of miniatures. KDM also has a ton of minis, but it's nowhere close to a "$250 game."

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Chill la Chill posted:

I keep seeing that on top of Clearclaw's list and it's like $250. But I might be down for it after really digesting 1846. I did pay $150 for napoleon's triumph already. Yet somehow, probably because of overproduction or just plain quality of game, I won't pay $150+ for these ridiculous CMON games with a ton of miniatures. KDM also has a ton of minis, but it's nowhere close to a "$250 game."

I’d wait for GMT to release which two 18xx games they are p500’ing next before making any train game purchases. It might not be 1860 quality, but spending 200 bucks less will probably soften the blow.

Also the quality of their prints will be amazing if 1846 is any indicator.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I've decided that I want the new 18xx to be something that's 2-3 hours play time.

cenotaph
Mar 2, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

I managed to snag it when it was only $100 on the BGG marketplace. No way in hell would I pay $250 for it.

CommonShore posted:

I've decided that I want the new 18xx to be something that's 2-3 hours play time.
I highly doubt it. Although with repeated play you could get 46 down around there.

taser rates
Mar 30, 2010
I don't think it will be, but if GMT chooses 89 for one of their next games, that's one that can be done in 2-3 hours as well. Monday night we played 89 and 46 back to back in roughly 5.5-6 hours. There are also the "state" games, like 18NEB and 18VA that can be done in a relatively short amount of time. 1830 is good at any player count 3-6, though 3-4 games are particularly nuts because of all the money flying around.

Papes
Apr 13, 2010

There's always something at the bottom of the bag.

CommonShore posted:

You can play 1857 in that time easy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I think I remember people talking about the board game Trains in here a couple days ago, saying it wasn't good.

Just to make sure, they were talking about this game yeah?

If so, what's wrong with it? I'm curious because the shut up & sit down review of it made it seem pretty neat and interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDU8ydds1N0

....If that wasn't the game they were talking about a few days ago, then has anyone played the Trains I'm posting about? What's it like to play, what kind of experience did you have with it? Also, are the other similar-looking games from AEG like the planes one and the cars one just the same thing but with a different theme or are they entirely different board games altogether?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's the one they're talking about.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

I took Tekopo past a stall with two shelving racks full of nothing but 18XX games today. He was a good boy (and the missus was watching) so he didn't buy any of them, but he was for some reason talking animatedly about coming to Spiel for all four days next year. :D

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

FirstAidKite posted:

I think I remember people talking about the board game Trains in here a couple days ago, saying it wasn't good.

Just to make sure, they were talking about this game yeah?

If so, what's wrong with it? I'm curious because the shut up & sit down review of it made it seem pretty neat and interesting.

So, it's Dominion, but with a board. Maybe the board can be a cool thing that adds to the game, right? Well, every time you interact with the board you add a bunch of garbage to your own deck. I never tried it in the one or two times I played, but apparently it's so heavy handed that you're better off just ignoring the board and buying the game's equivalent of Provinces, at which point why aren't you just playing Dominion? Dominion is a very good game, and the designer understands it a lot better than the people making knockoffs.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Jedit posted:

I took Tekopo past a stall with two shelving racks full of nothing but 18XX games today. He was a good boy (and the missus was watching) so he didn't buy any of them, but he was for some reason talking animatedly about coming to Spiel for all four days next year. :D
Had fun at spiel, thanks for guiding us around :)

My haul was relatively small: Kitchen Rush, etherweave for tash-kalar and Sakura Arms (the latter to fuel my never-ending desire for fighting card games). Managed to play Dream Home which is a pretty interesting card drafting game and Mea Culpa (both taught by Jedit), which I loved the theme of. One day really isn’t enough though to see the whole show.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Magnetic North posted:

Concordia is excellent. And it's in print, which it wasn't for a year or two.

In related news, Essen goons: I'm hoping one of you can get me the scoop on something, assuming it's actually available.

I happened across this on BGG: Concordia: Aegyptys / Creta. It's another map-only expansion for Concordia, and Egypt has some gimmicks, but that isn't what I'm interested in. See, the maps look like they are long and thin, as you might expect if you know what Crete looks like. Here are the images on BGG. It kind of looks like it will be just a two-fold board, though the Rio Grande Games page says it's longer but smaller than a normal Concordia board. What that means is not really clear. What is clear from the images is that there is no place for the market row of personality cards. Well, if you go look at the rules on the PD-Verlag website, you can see that they are including a little market row board as an add on, with this note:

:aaa: I am extremely interested to find out what those changes might be. So, if anyone gets a look as to what this entails, I'd love to hear about it.

So I got a response for this in the BGG thread I started. Apparently, it has a set up as:

code:
Original: Free / Any / Any / Cloth / Cloth / Cloth + Any / Cloth + Cloth
New One:  Free / Any / Any / Wine  / Cloth / Wine + Any  / Wine + Cloth
My first thoughts without playing it are:

Does requiring Wine or Cloth screw players who were prepared for a certain and have the market move under them before they could? First, only if someone buys only one, because jumping by two leaves players always able to buy the lesser amount. If they get one, you have to have been looking to buy something on space 5 or 6 and not happen to have the alternate good anyway. That is a real specific set of circumstances to gently caress over your opponent. It does serve to sort of clot up the top end so All-Cloth McGee can't buy everything always forever.

Does this make Consuls better? Probably, but mostly because the costs for Senators are going to be more complicated (though not higher in sheer money terms) especially at the top thereby reducing the opportunity cost. Does it make wine better? Certainly.

werdnam
Feb 16, 2011
The scientist does not study nature because it is useful to do so. He studies it because he takes pleasure in it, and he takes pleasure in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful it would not be worth knowing, and life would not be worth living. -- Henri Poincare
Chiming in late to the Top 100 played count: 79 for me, and I own but haven't yet played 1 more. If her willing to play almost any of the ones I've missed so far, but they only one I'm genuinely interested in is Command & Colors: Ancients.

I think the fact I've played so many is a function of the fact that my usual group has many members of the "cult of the new." There are a bunch of top 100 games I'd never have played without someone pushing it.

In general I'm more interested lately in playing repeats of games than playing new games, so I'm more interested in people's h-index. I've been tracking my players for a couple years now and I'm up to 9.

(For those that don't know, your h-index is at least n if you've played at least n different games n times.)

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I was at a library book sale and they had Wilderness Empires for two dollars and also Paths of Glory for two dollars and now I have these two new games and what have I done? I've never played any wargames before heeeeeeellllllp.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Tekopo posted:

Yes, you don’t have to own a company. I’m not sure if I’ve seen people go investor in 1846 specifically but usually it’s strategically inadvisable.

I believe there's an 1846 session report on BGG where someone goes investor, but I think they go for it in SR3 or something.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

El Fideo posted:

I was at a library book sale and they had Wilderness Empires for two dollars and also Paths of Glory for two dollars and now I have these two new games and what have I done? I've never played any wargames before heeeeeeellllllp.

I really enjoy Paths of Glory. Someone might look at the map after several turns and think nothing much had even moved, but when you're actually playing you realize that every card is a tough decision.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

I looked them up first, obviously. Paths looked interesting, but definitely too much of a deep dive for a first Wargame. So I looked at the others to see if anything might be a good starter, hence Wilderness Empires. They also happened to be the two with the best production values of the whole table. Real boards, box not about to fall apart (though that might be the tropical humidity here)

I do have a person interested in trying them with me, but I'm relatively sure he has no experience either.

The worst part is buying them used, so I have no idea what the pieces do, and some of the baggies the owner had them organized into didn't seal properly, so there's a mess of tokens in that box.

Andarel
Aug 4, 2015

20 H-index here. Have a bunch of stuff at 20, so it cuts off abruptly there.

71/100 on the top 100, though. Really do need to play Le Havre at some point...

How's the Marco Polo expansion?

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Magnetic North posted:

So I got a response for this in the BGG thread I started. Apparently, it has a set up as:

code:
Original: Free / Any / Any / Cloth / Cloth / Cloth + Any / Cloth + Cloth
New One:  Free / Any / Any / Wine  / Cloth / Wine + Any  / Wine + Cloth

I'm sure I saw the new market line and it's X-?-?-W-C-WC-CC. Wine is definitely much more important now, though, and early on you can't build both a cloth and a wine city. Building a wine city in a cloth-producing region is probably the key with the new layout.

Gzuz-Kriced
Sep 27, 2000
Master of Spoo

homullus posted:

The rule that says you move again with a correct answer shows how disastrously wrong you are. One player can have reallllllly long turns if they have two or three strong subjects.

The point I was responding to was that it was hard to land on a specific place you needed, not the length of turns.

The long turns rarely bother me (as an adult) since I enjoy internally guessing anyway. Trivial Pursuit is just "answer trivia questions" and I'd rather do that than a ton of other games. In any case, the master edition is ranked 5358 which is a better spot.

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Poopy Palpy posted:

So, it's Dominion, but with a board. Maybe the board can be a cool thing that adds to the game, right? Well, every time you interact with the board you add a bunch of garbage to your own deck. I never tried it in the one or two times I played, but apparently it's so heavy handed that you're better off just ignoring the board and buying the game's equivalent of Provinces, at which point why aren't you just playing Dominion? Dominion is a very good game, and the designer understands it a lot better than the people making knockoffs.

I've never played Dominion. Can you explain it to me based on that?

In the shut up and sit down review, they made it sound like you didn't have a choice in using the board or not because it seemed like using the board was how you ended the game as well as scoring off of other peoples' plays or trying to manage your own route in a way that is beneficial to you without benefiting the opponent, and I think they mentioned being able to get rid of the waste cards too.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

I'm sure I saw the new market line and it's X-?-?-W-C-WC-CC. Wine is definitely much more important now, though, and early on you can't build both a cloth and a wine city. Building a wine city in a cloth-producing region is probably the key with the new layout.

That's odd, because the user who answered included an image. Then again, by the context of him saying "I found it!" it makes me wonder if he got that off a net search and not the physical board and it changed since that image was created. Either way, the main thrust of requiring Wine is still present.

Yeah, getting a Wine and Cloth in the same region would be very helpful, and probably good enough you might tolerate giving a valuable good to your opponents. I wonder what the odds are of that being present on a board.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Andarel posted:

20 H-index here. Have a bunch of stuff at 20, so it cuts off abruptly there.

71/100 on the top 100, though. Really do need to play Le Havre at some point...

How's the Marco Polo expansion?

You're in academia, yeah? No one else has ever heard of h-index.

terebikun
May 27, 2016

FirstAidKite posted:

....If that wasn't the game they were talking about a few days ago, then has anyone played the Trains I'm posting about? What's it like to play, what kind of experience did you have with it? Also, are the other similar-looking games from AEG like the planes one and the cars one just the same thing but with a different theme or are they entirely different board games altogether?

That's the one people are down on, but I stick up for the game. If it looks like something you'd enjoy, you will. It's classic Dominion deckbuilding, but with a board. Use your hand of cards to build roads, cities, or buy more cards for your deck. You can go for points through cities or victory point cards. Some people don't like how you get trash cards (useless cards that just clog up your deck) from building roads and cities (although you get trash buying victory point cards as well), and maybe after 10,000 plays it isn't as well-balanced as Dominion. On the other hand, in my opinion being able to build into other people's cities (and share the points they worked so hard to make) gives it a lot more player interaction than Dominion and reason to care about what other people are doing beyond just noting when a pile of cards is going to run out. The other games (Planes and Automobiles) are totally different board games, with only a unifying aesthetic (and not even a particularly good one at that).

If you are going to play it, which I do recommend!, try and the expandalone Trains: Rising Sun first. It adds objectives, which gives more reason for players to interact on the board (and slowly convince your girlfriend to play this instead of Ticket to Ride), maps that are better balanced for 2 players, and more interesting cards.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

In the shut up and sit down review, they made it sound like you didn't have a choice in using the board or not because it seemed like using the board was how you ended the game as well as scoring off of other peoples' plays or trying to manage your own route in a way that is beneficial to you without benefiting the opponent, and I think they mentioned being able to get rid of the waste cards too.

Keep in mind that SUSD dont understand basic deckbuilder strategys like "thinning your deck", so its not like they would know if it was broken.

Source: their review of A few aces of snow.

discount cathouse
Mar 25, 2009

FirstAidKite posted:

In that case, if you think about getting trains, i would get dominion first, unless its for the theme. it's not only the most balanced one, but also the most fun, and its definetly the best starting point.

Scyther
Dec 29, 2010

The answer is almost always Dominion. It's just that good.

Aggro
Apr 24, 2003

STRONG as an OX and TWICE as SMART
I really like Dominion, but I can’t remember the last time I played over-the-board with anyone other than my wife. The online app is so good and so much more convenient than the giant Hobby Lobby box that I’d haul around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Aggro posted:

I really like Dominion, but I can’t remember the last time I played over-the-board with anyone other than my wife. The online app is so good and so much more convenient than the giant Hobby Lobby box that I’d haul around.

Why would you need more than a expansion box worth of kingdoms for a single trip?