Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What RPM is it sitting at while cruising?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
2200. Liberty 2500

Edit : so converting to MOON UNITS ave was 31.36mpg (some stop start) and the last 120kms was done at 36mpg (110kph average). The Liberty's last 1000kms was 7.9l/100km or 29.7mpg. Subaru claims 8.7l/100kms for the Levorg combined, 11.1l/100km for the Liberty.

Interestingly the Levorg has a lifetime fuel consupmption figure I can bring up and that was 11.8l/100km.... I dropped it to 11.4l/100kms just in the time I've owned it.

Also for reference, while I kept detailed records the MY06 WRX I was getting 9.4l/100km its economy tends to get blown out a bit by the short gearing. The MY99 Forester wins so far at 6.9l/100km. VE Commodore V8 wa more like 11, dropping to 9.8 on the freeway.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 10:08 on Oct 21, 2017

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

It only did the passes that were seen in the video - needs more cage to pass tech for what they want to do (go 8's). Oh and much to my surprise, it's legit road registered.

It's quite a bit quieter than expected TBH. I've heard plenty of cars much louder.

It drives rather well with a decent wheel alignment.

For some strange reason I took the long way home. About 200kms long.

Okay, finally back on the WReckX after... what a month? poo poo I've been busy

STI whale tail hatch on

MY99 bonnet swap so I can put on the 99 lights and grill... and match up the intercooler with the scoop

Sexier than a Doctor's Nurse

Annd that then allows the old Forester to get WRX wheels.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yes the Levorg towes. It towes really well.

Reorganise the storage unit for more tyres and panels, collect the Liberty spares to be hurled as far as I can.

The Forester's turn for some maintenace. First ---- yeah the steering rack needs to be changed. Yaaaaaaay.

Exhaust has to come out

Ummm.... yeah not good. Tie rod end shot for sure. Anyway a WRX rack is going in

...... after exhaust gaskets changed

And a CV fixed.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Steering rack on my '99 was really loose, I hated that.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

Steering rack on my '99 was really loose, I hated that.

Yeah very noticable how slack they are these days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqZym3isTfA&t=565s

Funniest Levorg review ever

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Given I was not expecting to buy a Levorg, I'm VERY short of specs so been researching for my own benefit -

Turbo Garrett MGT2259S

NOT a detuned WRX motor. It's the full thing.

10.6:1 compression - interesting. No wonder it's responsive off boost. Seems like the 1.6 litre motor is 11:1. GG that's really doing my brain in a stock turbo motor has such a high static compression

Max boost = 1.5 bar.

Appears to have secret launch mode. Hmmmmmm.

Torque converter locks as soon as possible and stays locked thereafter.

I mode is poo poo. Really takes too long to wind up. Left alone tho in other modes, gears tend to hang in ways I dont like. 8 virtual gears is a handful to get right.

Basically a GR chassis. There's not many diferences between VA and GR.

Final drive - 3.9:1

Suspension components look very WRX sized.

114.5 PCD.

Back to back Lapstone runs - I Drive is not good. SI# is a godawful amount of fun and it can hang with the 06 WRX no problem.

Party piece acceration - 60-120kph. Thats a big rear end boot to the backside. Actualy what is catching me out consistently so far is the engine really comes on boost hard and fast. I see why people like the FA, it gives you one hell of whoah WTF constantly.... however I know it's at it's general boost limit with the LOL plastic rods. I wonder what the EJ would be like with a low turbo position and the same turbo as the FA. Hmmmmm. I wonder.......

I'm very much not convinced about CVT economy claims. It's only at a very specific point where the DI is going into fuel conserve lean burn (?) that this thing gets good fuel consumption. The CVT also is pretty much trying to max out it's final possible ratio which frankly if you had a auto or 6MT matching, the CVT would lose. As soon as you give it some throttle the economy goes to poo poo big time, at soemthing close to being noisy this thing drinks big - bigger than the EJ25 5MT combo of the WRX. I'm on the side of the argument that the real economy gains is in the DI, not the CVT. I'm betting that when it goes into econ mode, the DI is really working some magic. So far 8.4l/100kms overall. That's better than Subaru claims......

400NM is the limit of the CVT.

Actually enjoying the car more than when I first got it.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Good to hear the Levorg's are a decent car , I briefly considered one when I got my Skoda but will be a good car to keep in the back of my mind for when it gets replaced in another couple of years...

Dr. Garbanzo
Sep 14, 2010

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Given I was not expecting to buy a Levorg, I'm VERY short of specs so been researching for my own benefit -

Turbo Garrett MGT2259S

NOT a detuned WRX motor. It's the full thing.

10.6:1 compression - interesting. No wonder it's responsive off boost. Seems like the 1.6 litre motor is 11:1. GG that's really doing my brain in a stock turbo motor has such a high static compression

Max boost = 1.5 bar.

Appears to have secret launch mode. Hmmmmmm.

Torque converter locks as soon as possible and stays locked thereafter.

I mode is poo poo. Really takes too long to wind up. Left alone tho in other modes, gears tend to hang in ways I dont like. 8 virtual gears is a handful to get right.

Basically a GR chassis. There's not many diferences between VA and GR.

Final drive - 3.9:1

Suspension components look very WRX sized.

114.5 PCD.

Back to back Lapstone runs - I Drive is not good. SI# is a godawful amount of fun and it can hang with the 06 WRX no problem.

Party piece acceration - 60-120kph. Thats a big rear end boot to the backside. Actualy what is catching me out consistently so far is the engine really comes on boost hard and fast. I see why people like the FA, it gives you one hell of whoah WTF constantly.... however I know it's at it's general boost limit with the LOL plastic rods. I wonder what the EJ would be like with a low turbo position and the same turbo as the FA. Hmmmmm. I wonder.......

I'm very much not convinced about CVT economy claims. It's only at a very specific point where the DI is going into fuel conserve lean burn (?) that this thing gets good fuel consumption. The CVT also is pretty much trying to max out it's final possible ratio which frankly if you had a auto or 6MT matching, the CVT would lose. As soon as you give it some throttle the economy goes to poo poo big time, at soemthing close to being noisy this thing drinks big - bigger than the EJ25 5MT combo of the WRX. I'm on the side of the argument that the real economy gains is in the DI, not the CVT. I'm betting that when it goes into econ mode, the DI is really working some magic. So far 8.4l/100kms overall. That's better than Subaru claims......

400NM is the limit of the CVT.

Actually enjoying the car more than when I first got it.

I take it lapstone runs are the hill and not Mitchell's pass?
I still think one of the scarier car rides I've been in was a full launch in a 2015 wrx down a quiet Katoomba street with a side street where people don't tend to stop. Given I wasn't driving I don't know the speed but it was quick of the mark and just kept pulling till they decided to drop anchor at the bottom of the hill.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

quote:

I take it lapstone runs are the hill and not Mitchell's pass?

In this case, referring to the initial climb up the hill and also a return down Mitchells. Uphill tests high speed stabilty, grip, shows up if the car will AWD drift or just understeer and entry into it, Mitchells is very much brakes and real handling.

---------------------------------------------

Honest thoughts on CVT's and Levorgs

It's true I'm drat loud about CVT's and dont hold bback. The first CVT I drove was a Mitsubishi Lancer that tried to outright kill me and was a great example of why CVT's are rightly shat on. It was good at absolutly nothing, drony, horrible POS that wasnt even good at cruising without switching to virtual gears. The tried to kill me bit was where the car's stability controls combined with CVT basically threw the car left when I want to go right.... needless to say with TC off and CVT in virtual gears mode, I attacked the same corner much faster and there was zero issues. A Impreza I drove later that week wasnt any better, if anything even more drony and simply unresponsive to throttle imputs.... and again not even good at cruising. Forget even regular driving around a corner, it was hopeless and far worse than the auto it replaced.... somehow as the 4EAT wasnt exactly good to start with.

I could call these 1st gen CVT's but the truth is that Subaru especially have done CVT's for much, much longer than it seems. I suppose "1st gen mainstream" CVT would be a good way to call them.

One thing I dont know if anyone relised - and I didnt till I went looking for videos of the internals of a Subaru CVT - is the torque converter remains, while the planetary / sun gears of the auto are replaced by the CVT pulleys and band - or in the case of Subaru, pulleys and chain - and the necessary hydralics to allow the pulleys to vary their size via cones on the pulleys - push the cones together, the effective pulley size gets bigger, pull the cones away, the size gets smaller. Kinda simple and clever TBH, but it just doesnt suit an internal combustion engine.... ICE actually doesnt like sitting at single RPM operation for any contion and most of getting the most out of a car is making use of the rev band esp with a manual. You NEED to use the right revs for what you are doing, CVT's are loving bad in native mode with that, except for max efficeny cruise where the CVT can create a gear ratio that an auto or manual normally wont have a gear to match. It's this ability to create a final drive ratio that CVT relies on to be max economy but there is nothing intrinsic to a CVT that otherwise makes them more economical - a manual or auto with a final drive close to a CVT will be equally economical. That tends to be an absolute moonshot ratio so only 7 or 8 speed gearboxes can afford to carry it - still need other ratios for regualr driving after all. Still, from what I've seen even with a moonshot final drive, a CVT barely can beat a good 6 speed manual at the absolute best it can do with economy. Rember, there is still a torque converter and a CVT still isnt the most efficent driveline you can use.

Granted the torque converter can lock very early but it's still there and it's not as good for economy as a clutch. A CVT is also a loving heavy gearbox - weight that the car has to drag around that is a hit to it's economy. I personally think a CVT makes it easier to cheat or at best game EPA and rolling road economy testing as outside of the specific parameters a CVT really isnt going to be this fuel saver it's spruiked as.

Now why then would anyone persist with them? Outside of gaming tests and the fact most drivers actually are pretty loving clueless and dont care....... I have an idea on that. I actually DO see where CVT's can do something intereting a manual cant and I think an auto struggles to match.

What I would call 3rd gen mainstream CVT's are appearing and okay lets be fair here, these ones are far removed from the automotive abortions of the 1st mainstream gen. These ones behave differently, they dont flair and drone nearly as bad, they even have the idea cars dont work best at one RPM and you can see them moving about to match what is really going on. I think the second gen ones arent good but the third gen have a better programming setup - also to be fair and I said this earlier, a CVT works well with a diesel, given a diesel really doenst have such a wide set of operating RPM. The Outback CVT diesel I tested was approaching "Yeah this isnt so bad I want to ignote the car" and might have been within the ballpark of a 5EAT on driving input. I thought 7 speed virtual mode worked resonably well and even left alone the CVT was creating virtual gears with made it drivable. Interesting.

Now I know a common theme is that drivers dont like CVT's single target RPM aim cause that's not what they are used to blah blah but this as mentioned denies the fact single RPM mode does NOT work for a ICE except at extended single speed cruise. Geared operation is a GOOD thing as it acknowledges single speed cruise ISNT the only thing a car will do. The Outback operation with this acknowedgement is a welcome idea and the Levorg does this too.

As a note a MY17 ASX I was in had a CVT and it was simply put hosed in the head.

Now I could say rightly that testing cars and driving cars for a day or two can give a good insight into the CVT's pros and cons but lets be honest here - you need to live with one for a longer amount of time to really have a deep understanding of what they are like and yeah sure it's fun to take an almighty poo poo on them but I dont live with them...... until now. Much to my continued disbelief.

I've now had the Levorg for a week and 567kms under the wheels. I never expected to get one so I honestly didnt know *that* much about them and I think the CVT has had programming changes in it's model run. I mena I had no idea the engine was full WRX with no de-tuning. I simply had no interest until that test drive where I was yeah what the hell, I'm curiouuuuuuuuOhhhh What the gently caress thing thing MOVES! It's rre fo rme to being laughing like a maniac so fast in anything.

I have no regrets at all and I am even kicking myself for always ruling out the Levorg. This is one hell of an impressive wagon in almost all respects - sure, a manual and it would be a mindfuck of a car, but it's not like the CVT ruins it. The CVT's four modes pretty mch allow you to suit your mood - crusie in I, have a bit more response and 6 virtual gears in SI, or really sharpen the gently caress out of it in SI# and 8 virtual... or tip the gear lever into full manual mode for paddle shift fun - and it'll match the what virtual gears you are allowed by the SI mode you are in. The car will only override you when you are slowing right down and in too high a gear. Also I might add that in SI and SI# you can temporarily override the programming with manual paddleshifting. Now THAT'S a good idea.... and in fact I've tended to find you can override the car more than it'll try to override the driver. That I *really* like - plus you can turn off the nannies completely. And that I *REALLY* like. A car I can run in whatever mode I want is loving awesome in this day ... so I do NOT have to put up with CVT I mode at all. A CVT programmed like this is.... okay I'll say it, it's good. This is what you want. If you hate I mode as I do, then here's your other options and the car lights up.

Keyless operation is interesting and I like it. Teh fob says in my bag and I just touch the doorhande to unlock it. I Like it! Also push button start. Actually.... yeah I like that too. Electic handbrake? Odd but it's fine. It also has hill assist ... which I cant figure out why you want it.

Primary centre dash has 4 modes of display, usualyl I keep it on speed. You also can see SI mode you are in, no info and a info on car operation. The steering wheel has 16 (!) buttons and switches - three to change info screen in dash, audio controls,phone controls, and the Eyesight controls. Can you say busy? Headlights have four modes, Auto mode I avoid as it takes control of your highbeams and switches them off at bad times. There is a HUD for lane departure and obstacle detection. Both work okay but can be easily fooled even in the dry. Interstingly the obstacle detection didnt say poo poo when I did a double lane change and there was a slower car that I crossed behind quite closely. It also lit up on a mountain pass as it thought a cliff wall was an obstacle I needed warning about. No poo poo. All can be turned off.

Heted leather seats... heated? IN Australia? okkkkay. Good seats tho. Two memory positions availible. Back seat seems fine, it's big eough for bikes in the back etc. Towers really well. Steering wheel is also leather and very nice. Interior really is pretty good all things considered.

Tuchscreen incar entertainment. Standard poo poo Two USB' input, Bluetooth etc plus it can have apps (WHY????) loaded on it. I have paired the car to the Starlink App which... seems kinda pointless. GPS + phone gives live traffic updates etc ythe usual things you now expect. Centre console is a side parking camera display, ICE becomes main reversing camera.

Centre console has a further screen with 9 modes of display from boost levels, active torque splits to various economy stats. I know the car has a lifetime 11.3l/100km economy average for instance. Sunroof is.... well there. This is the sole thing the Liberty has on the Levorg, the Liberty's moon roof was INCREDIBLE.

Okay now lets get back to the CVT and the one thing that I firmly believe it has over anything else. Active safety computer sytems. There is no coincidence that Eyesight aka adaptive cruise control only comes with CVT cars and I am gobsmacked that the car basically went 200 kms with me touching the brakes at all and only a light tap on the accelerator to say yep, I am not deliberatly parked. Oh and evne in a 60 zone with the cruise set to 120kph it was happy to just follow the car in front at the distance I wanted. Now I would *Highly* recommend using max distance for freeway as the car brakes too late for my comfort if the traffic stops at freeway speeds. Min distance detection is okay at say 60-70 kph. Also through roadworks the cruise was happy to work at 20ish kph. This can not work with a manual in any way and hell, I'm not sure it would work so well with an auto either. Eyesight and CVT are a complete win and this is the one area I just cant see how manual could ever compare. 400 kms total with Eyesight doing the driving (all I did was steer) and gently caress yes this is GOOD for long distance driving - I simply dont have to worry about speed, I just pay attention to whats around me. So this is why I think the real reaosn CVT's will stay with us - its not economy or efficency or whatever streaming load of poo poo a car maker says, it's the active safety system it works really well with.

Hey I dont trust Eyesight at all but I like the idea of keeping my eyes off the dash and looking between whats in front and whats a few kms down the road like I should be.

Blindspot detection is spotty. Dont trust it.

Okay now on economy, I have seent he best at 6.5l/100kms (and actually DID 100kms for that figure) but this figure (which come on, for a performance car that's brilliant cruise value) isnt achieved by the CVT but by the DI. As soon as you gas it, economy falls to pieces and in a lot of respects is worse than the 12 year old MY06 WRX. Cruise tho, that's when DI magic happens. The Liberty with it's 3 litre H6 isnt too much worse but it's saddled with the 5EAT... whcih lets be honest, a old gearbox with old torque converter design will always be beaten by any more up to date gearbox for efficency. So no, I dont believe CVT is better for fuel economy at all. DI sure as gently caress is.

Now talking motors, the FA20DIT is a gem and I see why it has fans. Despitre the fact it's at it's max boost it can reliably handle it has a lot going for it, it's responsive and even startling how it gets up and gallops - I've been caught out just how fast it accelerates a few times and the sharpness of it too in SI modes. No point going past 6K tho. win scroll ball bearing turbo too. Neat. Oh and 10.6:1 static compressin IN a turbo motor? Holy poo poo. The FA16 is even more out there, 11:1?????? I remember when that kind of figure could only be done on high strung NA race motors on AVGAS and we have that in a loving stock turbo car on pump fuel????? Goddamn this is magic poo poo for someone who remembers when turbos were unheard of running 9:1. (10.6:1 stock>?????)

Handling is.... yeah well a WRX. Depending on the CVT mode you are in. I mode sucks rear end. SI# manual is where it's at and yeeeep it goes like stink. Not much behind the MY06 and the full manual mode allows you play with the throttle and get this.... it has NO problem with left foot braking....!

Looks - Gorgeous car to look at and drive about.

Okayit's not perfect - the two areas I would change are look at the rebound ont he rear shocks and also speed up the steering ratio and give it a bit more weight. I also need to change the front alignment for more neg camber.

Summary - CVT sucks mostly for driving, the mooted benefits are bullshit but holy hell is it good with active safety and I have zero problems saying that because it's a defendable statement. Subaru have been smart enough to give you performance modes that negate the CVT's stupidty and make it work the way you want it to, you can override the car if you want as well. Eyesight is amazing and the Levorg itself...... never expected or wanted one, do not regret for one second.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Oct 25, 2017

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
The 5EAT was wired into Eyesight as well and it works fine.

BuckyDoneGun
Nov 30, 2004
fat drunk
The biggest problem I have with CVT's in the past has been their catastrophic reliability. Junkyards here are littered with perfectly serviceable Honda Jazz/Fits or a string of late 90's-2000's era Nissans that are junked because no one wants to drop $2500 on a new gearbox that is gunna fail again in the same way in 70-100k. It's created a big hole in the used market for working class people.

On the economy tip - I think they make a difference for small city cars, they end up with good peppy ratios they need around town, but give you nice low-rpm cruise at highway speeds, but now that 6-10sp conventional autos are more common and getting cheaper all the time, I think they do a better job of the that gear spread.

Also like anything modern, and as you noted with the SI drive modes, the programming makes all the difference between a good CVT and a bad one. Old flatmate had a first gen Jazz as a company car, then it got replaced by a facelift version with the 7-speed flappy paddle mode, and the difference between the two was night and day even tho it was the same basic hardware. The flappy paddle mode was fun, but ultimately pointless, I always felt it was better left to it's own devices.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Wrar posted:

The 5EAT was wired into Eyesight as well and it works fine.

I've been told different TBH, Eyesight gets a lot of hate until the latest version apparently which here is only on CVT equipped cars. I'll free admit I have no personal experience

quote:

The biggest problem I have with CVT's in the past has been their catastrophic reliability

This is why I paid up for proper factory extended warranty(*) and why I will not at any point do more than a tune and an exhaust, if I do that at all. I'm lead to believe there is a launch control mode that you can call up with a certain pedal movements in the CVT that makes it much more aggressive and fast off the line but also wears the poo poo out of the gearbox. 400Nm even for the high strength CVT I believe is an absolute hard limit that you can not get around.... an auto or manual have limits but they aren't absolute hard limits as such, eg in a manual if you avoid shock loadings a gearbox that's only really good for 450NM will live behind a 500Nm motor, while in a CVT it just simply slips and wears badly that can lead to chain breakage. I haven't heard of Levorgs having total gearbox failures like Forester XT's have been having here but it's in the back of my mind long term.... esp given the last XT I saw with a blown CVT was 7K replacement.

(*) I never got extended warranty on any other car from a dealership and... well... this time around the last thing I want is to bomb a CVT four years into ownership with no warranty. I'm guessing if there is a long term issue I'll see it before the 6 years are up on the warranty.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Lazy rear end cats...

I'll eventually get bored of looking at this thing...... maybe. No wait no I wont.

But anyway today was basically a parts run off the bugeye and dispose and of course I've spent enough buying Subarus for a while and....

gently caress gently caress gently caress

:ughh:

GODDAMNIT

Now *this* is a reason why you need a magnet buying cars even in a land where rust doesnt happen. One of the other guys thinks it looks great, as soon as I give it a look I can see it's been resprayed, the roof has a lot of bog in it, the sunroof isnt square and one of hte rear doors doesnt close well. Further looks show a rather large bend on the rear door well and the B-Pillar has the marks that it was once blue - and not off this car. I also find anther crease in the A-pillar.

My guess here is a BIG T-Bone on the drivers side - I dont think the chassis is straight either. The motor from what I can tell is BIG hp build, front mount, large Garret turbo, gently caress off huge injectors etc. Still has a five speed. Ummmmm...... yeah. Bet that's not it's first gearbox.

Given there is clear signs of a big crash not long ago and a dodgy repair, it's scrapping time with the shell being sacrificed so the silver MY00 (Hey, you remeber I have one of those?) can get repaired. Rear wing interestingly is a genuine v6 STI. Well someone did a lot of work at one point......

(poo poo, STI fog light covers? Okay I want those too)

Anyway. What I was wanting off the bugeye before beig distracted...

MY02 STI Brembos and a JDM 4.444 5 speed spec gearbox. Oay so that's the gearbox I want for now (Strongest 5 speed) and of couse a rather rare PCD 100 Brembo setup. Bolts right onto a WRX with no suspension / wheel changes!

..... I never really considered just how big these fuckers actually are

Or how goddamn heavy either.

My guess they add a good 3-4kgs per CORNER. The calipers themselves are noticibly heavier than the WRX four pots..... and the rotors well. Yeah this is a fuckign workout to take apart and store.

JDM Impreza WRX NB, NBR, 20K MY01-02 TY754VBBAA 3.166 1.882 1.296 0.972 0.738 3.333 1.000 4.444 Viscous (4kgf) Open

Hmmm... odd. JDM only gearbox. Wonder how that got in that bugeye? Def not the gearbox ADM bugeyes had. Well, all going into the WReckX now.....

Also a thought on the Brembos. TBH they are NOT track brakes for a GD that will take a almighty load of abuse (Certainly a load better than the stock four pots tho) but on a GC/GF being signifigantly lighter? That's the brakes done, I'd have to be going pretty loving fast for a long time to cause them problems in a GC/GF.

Also from much earlier in the thread...

A huge dose of irony posted:

What the hell is it with auto shifters being so goddamn awful on Subarus? The CVT's are actually worse than this garabge 4 speed, which is an amazing feat of shittery. As bad as the 4 speed is, it's still preferrable to a CVT anyday. In the end, the character of the car isnt ruined because it is a very reponsive motor. I m quite surprised just how good it is a part throttle - this is the first time I've driven a GT auto that has a working motor. I dont know if it's a GT trait or the motor is a good one, certainly it's got plenty of compression.

LOL Yeah I bet me from a year ago would be truly WTF'ed if he knew what was coming... and the first registered date of the Levorg is rather close to when I said this....

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Oct 28, 2017

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

What's the car count at again?

Actually, better question, what was the car list at the start of the thread, and how has it changed since then?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

iospace posted:

What's the car count at again?

Actually, better question, what was the car list at the start of the thread, and how has it changed since then?

Start of thread -

MY06 WRX
MY10 VE Commodore
1981 RX7 was coming
MY07 WRX

KB -

MY04 STI PWRC
1990 Galant VR-4
1995 Holden Ute
1975 RX2 "CHU"

Other family Foresters

Vogon Engineer -

MY99 Forester
MY11 Forester

Count - 10

--------------------------

Accquired and sold up to today

MY00 GT Forester (sold)
MY06 Liberty (Pissed on and traded in)

Sold or moved to other family / signifigant upgrade

*MY07 WRX (gone to Kaptain Ballistik)
*MY10 VE Commodore (sold)
*1995 Holden Ute (Sold)

*MY04 STI converted to MY07 S204 STI and been to three more International events inc 2 * WRC

Accquired and Parted out / scrapped
MY96 GF6 Impreza
MY99 WRX Wagon
MY98 Forester
MY01 Bugeye
MY99 WRX
Almost certainly not counted at least one other WRX

Bought / Given and still have with owner named (Named car in brackets)

CI -

MY96 WRX wagon (WReckX)
MY00 Clubspec Evo4 WRX
MY12 XV
MY00 WRX (*2)
MY17 Levorg (Veronica)
MY99 Forester

KB -

Wife, 6 y.o. child and house
MY16 Mondeo wagon
MY09 Holden Adventura AWD V8

Vogon Engineer -

MY17 Hyundai thingie

End Count - 17

Total cars I've owned at some point in this thread's existance..... 20. 18 Subarus

Oh for hosed sake 18 goddamn Subarus?????????

mekilljoydammit
Jan 28, 2016

Me have motors that scream to 10,000rpm. Me have more cars than Pick and Pull
Do you think there's any significant difference between the TY754VBAAA and the VBBAA, other than one being bugeye and one being GC? I haven't gone digging to find out if all the internals PNs are the same but it's what I'm using for my frankenstein box.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

New thread title.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

mekilljoydammit posted:

Do you think there's any significant difference between the TY754VBAAA and the VBBAA, other than one being bugeye and one being GC? I haven't gone digging to find out if all the internals PNs are the same but it's what I'm using for my frankenstein box.

Other than it's a JDM MY00 GC8 WRX STI box..... no. All looks the same

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Old Forester rack

Driveshaft done rack changed, exhaust gaskets changed. Needs an alignment and the change to WRX wheels has REALLY altered the Forester. Now it grips and the stering is much much better.

Unnnnnnfortuantly it now highlights the old poo poo suspension and brakes in desperate need of an overhaul. Well I guess I have spare WRX brakes and suspension....

Fun fact - it's cheaper to buy a cheap full socket set than to get one good 1/2" drive 10mm that I literatly put down for 5 seconds and it loving vanished. WTF

Hey, we havent done much to the WReckX for a while....

Passenger side brakes and hubs off

.... never noticed how fuckoff big the Brembo handbrake pads are before.

ONE brake setup worth more than the car.

I just tripled the value of WReckX!

.... And I think the project creep has well and truly hit the red wagon big time. Let alone the widebody conversion is now very much started on.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Start of thread -

End Count - 17

Total cars I've owned at some point in this thread's existance..... 20. 18 Subarus

No more RX-7?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Charles posted:

No more RX-7?

If a starting with car hasnt been noted as sold its still here.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Now *this* is a reason why you need a magnet buying cars even in a land where rust doesnt happen. One of the other guys thinks it looks great, as soon as I give it a look I can see it's been resprayed, the roof has a lot of bog in it, the sunroof isnt square and one of hte rear doors doesnt close well. Further looks show a rather large bend on the rear door well and the B-Pillar has the marks that it was once blue - and not off this car. I also find anther crease in the A-pillar.

My guess here is a BIG T-Bone on the drivers side - I dont think the chassis is straight either.

Yikes. Yeah even in photos you can tell that thing has been t-boned. Is there a single body panel that lines up properly? Everything looks misaligned to me (especially the doors in that rear shot)

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Yikes. Yeah even in photos you can tell that thing has been t-boned. Is there a single body panel that lines up properly? Everything looks misaligned to me (especially the doors in that rear shot)

No and the sunroof doesnt even line up anymore. I reckon the thing was crabbing while it was still driving too.

The guy who I usaully get my cars / arts through is pretty much on the up and up despite being backyard scrapper - he was thinking about resurrecting it but he too before me had a good look and went NOPE. Altho admittedly I picked up on a few things he didnt.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

That's a shame, but yeah, that car is hosed, with a capital F. At least it sounds like you're getting a nice driveline out of it. Think you can use any panels, or are they all too hosed?

I'm amazed someone spent that much time/money on paint. but didn't bother trying to line anything up or straighten the chassis.

e: I guess I shouldn't be so surprised, I see a lot of crabby cars on the road here that have a good paintjob.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

Think you can use any panels, or are they all too hosed?

Yes. The side I want just happens will fix my silver WRX... and is fine.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Oh why look at that I found something I genuinely dont like on the Levorg.

So apparently there's launch control. Which I loving well hope so because this thing is a complete dog leaving the lights - it takes too long to wind up even in SI# mode. The thing I've always enjoyed about WRX's and Forester XT's is the absolute jack rabbit launches that dont require a clutch dump to do - a bit of clutch slip juuust so the trans doesnt get a hit, but you can still spin the wheels and blast the thing at full boost from a standstill. Takes a bit to get it right but boy is that a loooooad of fun!

The Levorg is just whiiiiiinewheezebooostokayNOW we get up and go but it loes a good second just in that windup and indecision. I'm not blaming the CVT, even a real auto would do this. My rough guess is 6.6 - 6.8 0-100 letting the car do it's own thing is about right and 14.6 14.8 quarter as a result. But see here's the thing - those numbers are pretty slow for a car with this amount of otherwise power and go BUT from 40kph it's genuinely WRX fast and maybe due to no gearchange even a touch faster. I've found myself a few times going okay gently caress I did NOT realise how fast I was going there..... and even thinking this is V8 Commodore style fast for country road overtaking. Tody just goosed it merging onto the freeway and I'm genuinely surprised I'm doing 145 in what feels liek a blink. I guess also the NVH being low makes the acceleration seem uneventual.

However, I've seen video of the Levorg in launch control mode doing more like 5.2 secs 0-100. That's a big difference but so far I havent worked out how to get the car into that mode and I really do NOT like the time it takes to decide to get it's rear end into gear. Whats the point of a turbocharged AWD if you cant scream off from the lights?

I have a few bits on order because... why not. Some cosmetic, a couple for handling to fix little things I feel arent quite as I want them to be. The alignment from the factory as per usual blows rear end

Fuel economy is ..... a bit better than the MY06 WRX overall. Drinks harder in traffic and city driving, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better on a freeway. On the freeway it's just plain no contest, the fuel economy at 110kph cruise is really quite amazing. 6.5 to 7 litres / 100ks for a turbo 2 litre petrol motor? Yeeeeeep I'll have that. The MY06 is 9.2l/100kms for the same freeway cruising. Overall I'm doing 9.2 l/100kms on the Levorg while the WRX is more 9.8l/100kms for it's first 2000kms... so yes there is a fair bit more drinking in the Levorg in the city made up by the freeway DI lean burn. I'm genuinely not buying the fuel economy argument with the CVT now, but I'm a fan of DI

Thinking of new engines digging intot he technicals and limitations - I see why the FA can potentially be a more powerful engine. It' got a much thicker cylinder sleeve and it's reinforced musch more like a semi closed deck. The conrods are ... well... poo poo. The angled big ends are a bad loving idea to say the least making sure the forces acting on the rod are not symmetical. Given a rod that cant take more boost than stock and.... basically if you want more boost, your going to get forged internals. Hmmmmmm.... a built FA20DIT into a GC8. That's starting to sound interesting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Found launch control... forget I said anything.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Found launch control... forget I said anything.

How do you get to it? I don't think the VA WRXes have it.

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

Fuel economy is ..... a bit better than the MY06 WRX overall. Drinks harder in traffic and city driving, but waaaaaaaaaaaaaay better on a freeway. On the freeway it's just plain no contest, the fuel economy at 110kph cruise is really quite amazing. 6.5 to 7 litres / 100ks for a turbo 2 litre petrol motor? Yeeeeeep I'll have that. The MY06 is 9.2l/100kms for the same freeway cruising. Overall I'm doing 9.2 l/100kms on the Levorg while the WRX is more 9.8l/100kms for it's first 2000kms... so yes there is a fair bit more drinking in the Levorg in the city made up by the freeway DI lean burn. I'm genuinely not buying the fuel economy argument with the CVT now, but I'm a fan of DI

I've been genuinely amazed at the open road fuel economy of my dads '10 Legacy considering it's the old fashioned 2.5 turbo with an old fashioned 5 speed automatic - it gets somewhere in the high 7/100km so long as there aren't too many hills.

It's (predictably) awful in traffic though.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Seat Safety Switch posted:

How do you get to it? I don't think the VA WRXes have it.

I think they do - ppart of the sequence is -

Traction Control - Off
VDC - Off
Torque vectoring - On

In the CVT the sequence is -

TC - OFF
Mode - S#
Rev to 2700+rpm
Hard off brake, roll throttle to full open, you are now considerably faster with a wheel chirp even off hte line.

Not recommended too often as it will wear out the CVT chain. Also it basically goes straight to 5600rpm and ignores low gears until it's fast enough to be in 3rd.

Toolsets

Front passenger Brembo / STI arms set on

GD STI verses GC alloy control arms

Driver side rear Brembos on

Driver side Brembos and STI arms on

Okay so that was my goal for today but I still had plenty of time soooooo.....

Talishaft out

Rear subframe, angel arms and diff out

Hmmm....... good. The GD angel arm will indeed work.

Aiming to get the rear fully together so I can ground it to fix the hatch this weekend. If I really do wel the gearbox gets swapped.

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Nov 4, 2017

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Launch control in my evo is pretty similar.

Hold ASC button until the car gives you the slippery car symbol
Put SST in Super Sport mode (push then push and hold while stationary)
Hard brake
Floor it, engine sits at 5 grand, off brakes.

You have to let it sit there for 2 or more seconds but less than 5 seconds so it can get some boost built up.

It does it without too much theatre though. A Chirp or some wheel spin would be nice :(

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Score another of the rally crew to be WTF'ed the CVT isnt crap. His reaction was very similiar to mine driving the car for the first time - incredibly dubuous to being completely won over in the space of two minutes.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
you are the most reluctant cvt driver i have ever heard anti-evangelizing but yet still evangelizing for cvt's :haw:

Wrar
Sep 9, 2002

Soiled Meat
"I wish this was a manual but this doesn't totally suck."

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Wrar posted:

Having built-in lunch control is a pretty great way to anti-suck any sucky feature. Maybe Nissan should add it to the Versa.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

sneakyfrog posted:

you are the most reluctant cvt driver i have ever heard anti-evangelizing but yet still evangelizing for cvt's :haw:

Well I drove someone else's CVT equipped ASX at the same time and it was all sorts of hosed up. CVT's still suck ...except mine :haw:

Wrar posted:

QFT

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Having built-in lunch control is a pretty great way to anti-suck any sucky feature. Maybe Nissan should add it to the Versa.

If you have the 1.8 twin cam and 6 speed manual version of the versa, you can launch that little thing pretty loving hard cos it weighs NOTHING.

Missus tends to get upset when I absolutely rag on her Tiida tho.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Whale Tail hatch's gas struts attched ... wiht a lot of difficulty

Got the rear end completed and threw the wheels on that fitted.

..... and found the fronts will need 1mm spacers. Okkkkaaaay.

After a few mix and match parts, the widebody STI conversion for suspsension works. Still got to redo the ABS wiring and handbrake cables, but wheels on and rear on the deck

Hmmm..... okay yep real STI subframe. Steel bushings.

That... looks rather good

TBH this whole drat thing is like a flat chested nurse got a 700cc boob job and finds all her clothes and bras dont fit. Plus it... dramactially changes the looks to say the least.

Uhhhhh.... I think I'm seeing the problem with car boob jobs

Oh. I think I need to look at this a bit closer....

poo poo. poo poo poo poo poo poo. Bad Obsession Motorsport tyre guage says "Cheeky" but that's a rego problem to say the least. But gently caress it, it looks AWESOME ... just like 700cc bolt on boobs. Just means I'm going to have to put on flares at the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

You're white and old, cops aren't going to hassle you over a bit of poke.