Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tcjimbo
May 15, 2008

This is Jimbo!
Hey-hey, man!
We got this!

hawowanlawow posted:

I don't know who that is

A friend of PewDiePie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

hawowanlawow posted:

why on earth would anyone play vs ai?
There are 70 characters with five abilities and thirty talents and 15 maps to play on. There's a whole lot to play around with in this game without having to get competitive.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Have fun in AI games so long as you don't jump straight into ranked on a lark. If you are realistic about your abilities, you do you.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?
With so many great single-player games on the market it's hard to imagine why anyone would choose HotS, but to each his own I guess.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

i like doing daily quests and i have fun playing my favorite characters. i get just enough challenge out of playing against the various AI settings to keep me interested without getting bored.

on occasion i hop into a QM game to see if i would like it and i get really stressed out and then i go back to AI.

Gustav posted:

With so many great single-player games on the market it's hard to imagine why anyone would choose HotS, but to each his own I guess.

single player games end after a point and cost money. hots i can just play a couple games a day and feel like i accomplished something.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

ai is actually more challenging that humans due to their increased reaction times

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

ai is actually more challenging that humans due to their increased reaction times
The kel thuzad AI is better at landing skill shots and comboing people than most KT QM's. It will do glacial spike -> chains -> nova combos on people.

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Is it?
From what I've noticed the AI is so terrible at playing the map that whatever ability they might possess in a teamfight does not make up for their more significant failings.
They frequently path their way through forts, have nonsensical priorities and don't even function correctly on some maps. I remember them just getting stuck in random places on some of the newer maps and I think since he AI improvements went out they've also been worse at some of the vehicle based map objectives, refusing to move at all.
Kel'thuzads AI might be able to land sick combos, but that's worth squat when they constantly get caught in lane with their pants down and don't even do a good job managing their health pool or poking in a longer sustained team fight.

Some of these things are next to impossible to just script or emulate, as they rely way too much on peoples ability to just assess a situation, so I don't blame Blizzard for this. It's functional enough for what it is, but I've never really encountered the AI to be that great.

Like, it's great that people enjoy playing against it and there's nothing wrong with that, but let's not exaggerate its capabilities.
Versus AI is probably popular enough as far as the percentage of players is concerned to not require much in the way of validation.

Zwiebel fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Oct 28, 2017

Dire Human
Feb 1, 2013

AH-HA! That's right...

Who's laughing now?

Who's laughing now?

Considering the loving meltdown every time an Overwatch character is added instead of Warcraft Orc #87, I’ll take the Roadhog Stitches skin as a consolation prize.

Paranoid Peanut
Nov 13, 2009

My pc crashed while playing muradin earlier, we were lvl 10... I logged back like 10 mins later and joined the final push (team was at lvl 22). The Ai helped me net mvp.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

the person that crashes and gets replaced by ai is never on the opposing team

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

AlmightyBob posted:

the person that crashes and gets replaced by ai is never on the opposing team
You're not notified of it if they're on the opposing team...

EdRush
Dec 13, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Toshimo posted:

FWIW, belittling people who just want to chill and play AI games makes you a terrible garbage person nearly on the level of EdRush.

I'm glad you never posted anything bad while you were drunk but as far as the raging gamer alienating their community spectrum goes, you and jimbo are a lot closer to pewdipie levels than I will ever be, so keep my name out your loving mouth

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Paranoid Peanut posted:

My pc crashed while playing muradin earlier, we were lvl 10... I logged back like 10 mins later and joined the final push (team was at lvl 22). The Ai helped me net mvp.

There are a couple bots that kick a lot of rear end, and Muradin is definitely one of them.

NeurosisHead
Jul 22, 2007

NONONONONONONONONO

Olaf The Stout posted:

There are a couple bots that kick a lot of rear end, and Muradin is definitely one of them.

I usually try to play something that lets me enable my team making plays rather than being the playmaker myself. With Muradin, I can just be a fat loving sack of HP trundling into the enemy team and setting my team up for kills or eating skill shots meant for them and I love it.

AlmightyBob
Sep 8, 2003

No Wave posted:

You're not notified of it if they're on the opposing team...

oh well that explains that

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

vs AI modes in MOBAs are the ultimate podcast companion. There is no lore, plot or dialogue to pay attention to so the people talking on the podcast have your full attention. You can gently caress up repeatedly or take a pee break without forcing a loss for your team. And who knows, you might even learn a thing or two eventually, for when you are not playing against bots.

I don't listen to podcasts anymore, but if I did I would be playing a shitload of vs AI games (or the ARAM-style brawls, whenever those are up).

Diephoon
Aug 24, 2003

LOL

Nap Ghost
Sometimes I wanna clear out my dailies and get some XP on someone I don't actually want to play like Jimothy Raynor-san. That's when I queue up for AI. Plus you'll run into interesting things like split push Jaina and people who are so salty they will leave AI games.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Jaina's very good at split-soaking if everyone on the enemy team forgets she exists. I've had a few bizarre games on tomb (in QM) where there's a big brawl bottom and you can just blizzard mid, blizzard top, etc.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
In about 70% of my AI games the other four people immediately dogpile mid and fart around there while ignoring the side lanes, so I usually end up split pushing on most characters.

Erdricks
Sep 8, 2005

There's nothing refreshing like a sauna!

John Murdoch posted:

In about 70% of my AI games the other four people immediately dogpile mid and fart around there while ignoring the side lanes, so I usually end up split pushing on most characters.

the same is true in quickmatch. i have no idea when this trend of everyone rushing mid at start and ignoring lanes started, but it seems dumb as poo poo to me.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

John Murdoch posted:

It's a mix of folks who want daily gold ASAP, folks who want a full clear for exp, and folks watching youtube who play with 20% attention.

Well, unless you up the difficulty, then you get folks who actually want to play the map.

BrianBoitano fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Oct 28, 2017

Zwiebel
Feb 19, 2011

Hi!

Erdricks posted:

the same is true in quickmatch. i have no idea when this trend of everyone rushing mid at start and ignoring lanes started, but it seems dumb as poo poo to me.

It takes a while for the minions to reach the lane, so people do it in order to get a pick for an early XP advantage.
If the enemy team doesn't do the same then the big group can tear down a tower for free before people eventually start rotating between lanes.

That's about it.
The only issue in Quickmatch is that some people don't know when to break off the engagement and start collecting XP.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tcU_q3rxN4M

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I don't understand ranked. Sometimes you have games where everyone knows what they're doing more or less, and other times a Sonya goes ballistic because someone chose Lili as a second support (against Raynor + Zul'jin) on Haunted Mines, writing "why double support???" all game. Baffling.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

I'm starting to see why people hate Garden of Terror/Haunted Mines so much. I used to just think the design was dumb but it makes for confusing, chaotic games where everyone has a different understanding of how valuable the objective is and 20% of people tilt immediately when their team doesn't act the way they expect.

Also Raynor has gotten weirdly popular lately. For every three times I see Valla I see Raynor twice.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

No Wave posted:

I'm starting to see why people hate Garden of Terror/Haunted Mines so much. I used to just think the design was dumb but it makes for confusing, chaotic games where everyone has a different understanding of how valuable the objective is and 20% of people tilt immediately when their team doesn't act the way they expect.

Should we defend against their 30 skull golem or pressure with our 70 skull one?? :ohdear:

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Zwiebel posted:

It takes a while for the minions to reach the lane, so people do it in order to get a pick for an early XP advantage.
If the enemy team doesn't do the same then the big group can tear down a tower for free before people eventually start rotating between lanes.

That's about it.
The only issue in Quickmatch is that some people don't know when to break off the engagement and start collecting XP.

The other motivation is quest progress. Someone like Kael'thas or Kel'thuzad benefits enormously from the early scrum for jump starting Convection or what have you.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge

Olaf The Stout posted:

Stitches Bot makes better hooks then about 90% of any Stiches player you will find in QM

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
[quote="“Erdricks”" post="“477822118”"]
[/quote]

Cool thing to do in QM with a duo is Sylvanas Rush, in which you go to the furthest away lane and immediately destroy a tower. The enemy team will always go mid and the rush of destroying a tower brings everyone on your team together.

Gustav
Jul 12, 2006

This is all very confusing. Do you mind if I call you Rodriguez?

John Murdoch posted:

It's the correct strategy for AI games though. Soak XP is nothing compared to a 5-minute keep.

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

if you really want to see how dumb the AI can be, you play stukov and watch them stutterstep in and out of your lurking arm until they die

i've actually not played stukov in a good while cause it's just too easy lol

jackhunter64
Aug 28, 2008

Keep it up son, take a look at what you could have won

Hiding in a bush/smoke cloud completely baffles the AI too, as Abathur you can be making GBS threads locusts out of a bush all day and they will never figure out you're in there.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

naw ai is awful, but since the update the few matches i've played actually lasted long enough to do something. like i'd want to level up some hero i hate/am-awful-at (illidan/gaz/chen) but then the dumb match would be over in like 10 minutes.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Stitches Bot makes better hooks then about 90% of any Stiches player you will find in QM

Muradin bot is the only bot to ever win a pro game. A year or two ago two pro teams were fighting at the HGC Brawl, and the Muradin players computer went down and was unable to be recovered mid-game. They decided to finish the game with a bot, with the rule being they would not focus fire it. Mura bot loving wrecked them hahaha.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Gustav posted:

It's the correct strategy for AI games though. Soak XP is nothing compared to a 5-minute keep.

The 5-minute keep basically never happens though.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

John Murdoch posted:

The 5-minute keep basically never happens though.

On beginner AI, if you type "focus bot then boss?" at the beginning you can get a 5 minute keep 80% of the time.

Only time you can't is if your team wants to braindead lane, or if you have poor sustain / siege, in which case it's a 6 minute keep.

Cuatal
Apr 17, 2007

:dukedog:

No Wave posted:

I don't understand ranked. Sometimes you have games where everyone knows what they're doing more or less, and other times a Sonya goes ballistic because someone chose Lili as a second support (against Raynor + Zul'jin) on Haunted Mines, writing "why double support???" all game. Baffling.

I love when I'm second support as Li Li so I can go DPS. Li Li's damage builds are pretty strong and she can still offer a lot of healing. Taking Cups and going Blinding Wind is a great build too if you need the extra healing.

Mr. Bad Guy
Jun 28, 2006

Cuatal posted:

I love when I'm second support as Li Li so I can go DPS. Li Li's damage builds are pretty strong and she can still offer a lot of healing. Taking Cups and going Blinding Wind is a great build too if you need the extra healing.

One of the most fun HL games I ever had was on BoE, as last pick. The enemy team got Tychus, Malth and Valla. Solo healing as Li Li was never so hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Primetime
Jul 3, 2009

Olaf The Stout posted:

Muradin bot is the only bot to ever win a pro game. A year or two ago two pro teams were fighting at the HGC Brawl, and the Muradin players computer went down and was unable to be recovered mid-game. They decided to finish the game with a bot, with the rule being they would not focus fire it. Mura bot loving wrecked them hahaha.

Didn't a chromie bot win a pro game earlier this year as well?