Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Space Gopher
Jul 31, 2006

BLITHERING IDIOT AND HARDCORE DURIAN APOLOGIST. LET ME TELL YOU WHY THIS SHIT DON'T STINK EVEN THOUGH WE ALL KNOW IT DOES BECAUSE I'M SUPER CULTURED.

baquerd posted:

Yeah, that's always been the biggest no-no for me on chip and pin - you lose all of the protections when your pin is compromised. Unless that's an urban legend?

There were some horror stories out of the UK, where bank customers are typically liable for negligence leading to fraud. Banks would refuse to refund fraudulent transactions: they'd claim that the chip-and-PIN system was so perfectly secure, the only way that a criminal could possibly use the card would be through the cardholder's negligently disclosing the PIN, so the cardholder must be liable.

But, that's in the UK. Cardholders have somewhat better rights under US law, and there was never an explicit liability shift anywhere. Just banks being the biggest jerks they possibly can under their terms of service.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Why would they disable all fraud alert after implementing a PIN system?

How about internet/phone purchases, do those still need a PIN input to complete?

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
The new Uber/Barclays/Visa card looks pretty great. No fee, 4% back on dining, take-out, and bars, 3% on travel/hotels/Airbnb, 2% on online purchases and subscriptions, 1% everything else. $25 minimum cash back redemption (or $5 min for "Uber credits"). $600 mobile phone insurance if you pay your phone bill with the card and $50 credit toward subscription services if you spend $5000 in a year.

Overall, extremely competitive for a no-fee card.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Vox Nihili posted:

The new Uber/Barclays/Visa card looks pretty great. No fee, 4% back on dining, take-out, and bars, 3% on travel/hotels/Airbnb, 2% on online purchases and subscriptions, 1% everything else. $25 minimum cash back redemption (or $5 min for "Uber credits"). $600 mobile phone insurance if you pay your phone bill with the card and $50 credit toward subscription services if you spend $5000 in a year.

...why the hell isn't there like 5% back on Uber - it's a loving Uber card

Also has a signup bonus of $100 on $500 spend and no annual fee

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!

Vox Nihili posted:

Uh what's the catch

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

Anyone tried to redeem the Hyatt free nights from the Chase CC signup bonus? It doesn’t seem to work using the website.

El Mero Mero
Oct 13, 2001

I was in just before the CSR got nerfed and it's been awesome. I think I calculated two annual fees on it before I would need to even stop to closely reevaluate it's worth, so I'm in for at least one more year on it.

El Mero Mero fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Oct 26, 2017

SuperSpiff
Apr 4, 2007
Mentally retardation is such a strong word.

Rated PG-34 posted:

Anyone tried to redeem the Hyatt free nights from the Chase CC signup bonus? It doesn’t seem to work using the website.

It's finicky, but are you redeeming for one night at a time? It's worked for me recently.

Rated PG-34
Jul 1, 2004

SuperSpiff posted:

It's finicky, but are you redeeming for one night at a time? It's worked for me recently.

I tried both ways. Ended up having to phone them.

Blinkman987
Jul 10, 2008

Gender roles guilt me into being fat.
Edit: Nevermind

Blinkman987 fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Oct 26, 2017

Xenoborg
Mar 10, 2007

Are fast food places considered restaurants per whatever reporting codes credit cards use?

gregday
May 23, 2003

Xenoborg posted:

Are fast food places considered restaurants per whatever reporting codes credit cards use?

Yes

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I may try to PC my Arrival into that Uber card. No foreign transaction fees and 4% dining is great. It won’t replace my CSR but it will be a good backup card.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Maybe I should r[place my csr with the Uber card. I still have a ton of chase ur points though

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Vox Nihili posted:

Any special rewards besides cash? A little better on points than the Chase Sapphire Reserve (for my spending at least) but you don't get the travel benefits...

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Virtue posted:

Maybe I should r[place my csr with the Uber card. I still have a ton of chase ur points though

It's not a bad choice if you are not a frequent traveler. For a constant road warrior like me the CSR pays for itself a few times over.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Mons Hubris posted:

Any special rewards besides cash? A little better on points than the Chase Sapphire Reserve (for my spending at least) but you don't get the travel benefits...

I think that's pretty much it. $100 one-time sign-up bonus, cash redemptions pay out 1-to-1.

Not sure if other cards cover bars in their dining slot, the Uber card explicitly does so.

Insane Totoro
Dec 5, 2005

Take cover!!!
That Totoro has an AR-15!
Well is it a sweet metal card?

The Slack Lagoon
Jun 17, 2008

Could be worth a product change from the lovely card Sallie Mae got turned into

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Looking to get about $18-20k in home improvements done on my house. I planned to pay the majority of it in cash, but are there any good rewards cards for me that might be worth signing up for a new one at $5k or so?

I've got the Costco Visa for most of my purchases, Chase Freedom and Amex Blue (whichever has no annual fee, switched over from their Costco card), and the Amazon Vida that I solely use on Amazon.

I'm not a frequent traveler (maybe 3-4 hotel nights a year, and one domestic or international trip, usually). I also don't spend a lot on shopping or eating out. But I don't really know what's out there and if I could use some optimization. I wasn't sure if I should just stick with my cash back cards, search for something new that's a good lifestyle fit, or something that's really just for this one house project.

G-Mawwwwwww
Jan 31, 2003

My LPth are Hot Garbage
Biscuit Hider

The Slack Lagoon posted:

Could be worth a product change from the lovely card Sallie Mae got turned into

I loved that Sallie Mae card. Fuckers.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SpelledBackwards posted:

Looking to get about $18-20k in home improvements done on my house. I planned to pay the majority of it in cash, but are there any good rewards cards for me that might be worth signing up for a new one at $5k or so?

I've got the Costco Visa for most of my purchases, Chase Freedom and Amex Blue (whichever has no annual fee, switched over from their Costco card), and the Amazon Vida that I solely use on Amazon.

I'm not a frequent traveler (maybe 3-4 hotel nights a year, and one domestic or international trip, usually). I also don't spend a lot on shopping or eating out. But I don't really know what's out there and if I could use some optimization. I wasn't sure if I should just stick with my cash back cards, search for something new that's a good lifestyle fit, or something that's really just for this one house project.

You could get the Chase Sapphire Preferred. You’ll get the 50,000pt sign in bonus. Use the Chase Online Shopping Portal (purchase online and pick-up at store) to make your Home Depot or Lowe’s purchases for an extra 2x or 1x points, effectively making it 3x points on those purchases. Then when you get the sign-up bonus, downgrade the card to a Chase Freedom Unlimited, which will give you 1.5% cash-back on everything. From then on your online Home Depot Store pick-up purchases will effectively be 3.5% cash back.

So in the end you could potentially walk away with well over $600 straight cash back if you don’t wanna use it for travel ($900)

One caveat: sometimes the online portal doesn’t give you the bonus points, and you have to call Chase to make them do it and they are not great about it. It mostly works thought. This month I got an extra 4,000 points just from the 1% bonus at Lowe’s (store pickup, which is convenient I hate browsing stores when I know what I want). If I could have used Home Depot it would have been 8,000.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Ahh, thanks. I should've mentioned this'll be work through a contractor for both materials and labor, for things I can't practically buy and provide myself due to selection, weight, and the contractor's builder agreements (full siding and windows replacement). Seems like there's a lot less benefit them if I can't milk a hardware store for sweet rewards in the process. A CSP would be nice for minor travel perks, seems like, but I don't know if I can justify the fee based on how much I travel.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

SpelledBackwards posted:

Ahh, thanks. I should've mentioned this'll be work through a contractor for both materials and labor, for things I can't practically buy and provide myself due to selection, weight, and the contractor's builder agreements (full siding and windows replacement). Seems like there's a lot less benefit them if I can't milk a hardware store for sweet rewards in the process. A CSP would be nice for minor travel perks, seems like, but I don't know if I can justify the fee based on how much I travel.

In that case I would get the card that you can find that has the highest cash-back return on any purchase. As mentioned, the Freedom Unlimited is 1.5x and those points can be combined with your Freedom's, if you wish to remain within the Chase ecosystem. Getting the CSP just for the bonus and then converting to the FU is still worth pursuing, IMO.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I just checked and the CSP annual fee is waived the first year, so yeah, if I were you I'd get that, churn the bonus, then convert to Freedom Unlimited.

Caveat: if you want another chase card you can't have opened 5 credit card accounts in the past 24 months

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Insane Totoro posted:

Well is it a sweet metal card?

Asking the important questions.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

SpelledBackwards posted:

You might want to first check if your contractor will even accept credit cards, and if they do, whether there is an additional fee. I've dealt with many that did not.

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

SpelledBackwards posted:

Overall it sounds like you would be better served with a home equity line of credit. The point about your contractor not taking credit cards is valid too - and frankly if they do accept CC's for large jobs, their markup must be extreme to cover it.

Another option if you can buy the job materials directly (contractors are usually fine with this), the Lowe's store card gives 5% off every purchase - not cash back, a straight discount at the register.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Assuming you can afford to pay for it from the beginning / pay a card off immediately:

Even at, say, a nearly worst-case scenario of 3% markup for someone accepting CCs for a large job like that, the signup bonuses can be $400-500 back on $4,000 spend - at least a 10% return for a spend of exactly that much, not counting whatever 1-2% cash back they might have on the purchases themselves.

Subtract the 3% and you still come out ahead by a fair margin.

Example: With an $18-20k spend it wouldn't be unreasonable to open 4+ different cards and split the bill, netting at least $1700 in cashback (at 4 cards) before deducting $600 (3% of the total 20k). You'd still be over $1k ahead. A fifth card would even grant an extra $400-$500 - over $1.5k ahead.

Standard disclaimer to obviously find out the contractor or merchant's exact terms of making payments with credit cards before embarking upon this journey, as well as the terms and information for the specific cards you'd be getting. It's a bit of work to familiarize yourself with all that stuff, but for over $1k? Probably worth it! And I'll repeat the bit about assuming you already have the money to pay for the thing.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

Yeah I've got the cash banked, although I'd have to eat into my ~9 month emergency fund and drop it down to about 3 months if I pay it all at once.

I do also have a HELOC that I opened last year in anticipation of this project and eventual re-roofing, but between my roommate's rent and ESPP doing well this year, I don't think I'll have to use it.

The price I have from the contractor is the cash price, and he responded yesterday that some or all can go into cards, but didn't tell me the upcharge to do so. Anyway, that theoretical 3-5% charge is which is why I'm considering only putting the minimum onto a card for maximizing signup rewards. I hadn't considered multiple cards, not that I particularly want a bunch more of them to track and hold open for a year or two at least. I'll have to give that more thought, thanks.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

SpelledBackwards posted:

Yeah I've got the cash banked, although I'd have to eat into my ~9 month emergency fund and drop it down to about 3 months if I pay it all at once.

Having the cash banked for a project like this means being able to pay in full at the time the work is done without dipping into an emergency fund.

Ron Don Volante
Dec 29, 2012

I didn't find anything in the last 10 pages of the thread so apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone have the Alliant Visa Signature Card (or any Alliant credit card)? 3% cashback the first year, 2.5% cashback thereafter (both unlimited). $59 annual fee, waived the first year. I'm thinking of switching to it as my primary business card if I can get a decent credit line. I'm currently spending well over the annual fee breakeven point and am just using the Amazon Rewards Visa because of the large credit line they gave me, which is probably a waste. I'm also not a USAA member (or related to one), so that option's out.

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Ron Don Volante posted:

I didn't find anything in the last 10 pages of the thread so apologies if this has been discussed before, but does anyone have the Alliant Visa Signature Card (or any Alliant credit card)? 3% cashback the first year, 2.5% cashback thereafter (both unlimited). $59 annual fee, waived the first year. I'm thinking of switching to it as my primary business card if I can get a decent credit line. I'm currently spending well over the annual fee breakeven point and am just using the Amazon Rewards Visa because of the large credit line they gave me, which is probably a waste. I'm also not a USAA member (or related to one), so that option's out.

Get a business credit card for high-volume business purchases. Most, if not all, consumer cards have clauses about not using them for business. Some banks are pretty aggressive about these kinds of shutdowns.

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Having the cash banked for a project like this means being able to pay in full at the time the work is done without dipping into an emergency fund.

Fair point. Between then and actual payment, I'll have another ESPP lot to sell and 2 more paychecks incoming, so even the emergency fund shouldn't be a problem.

On top of that, the contractor replied and said they don't charge extra for a CC, so now the prospect of opening a card or two starts to look a lot juicier. Might do a lot more on cards than I'd originally planned!

SpelledBackwards fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 28, 2017

astral
Apr 26, 2004

SpelledBackwards posted:

Fair point. Between then and actual payment, I'll have another ESPP lot to sell and 2 more paychecks incoming, so even the emergency fund shouldn't be a problem.

On top of that, the contractor replied and said they don't charge extra for a CC, so now the prospect of opening a card or two starts to look a lot juicier. Might do a lot more on cards than I'd originally planned!

It's always fantastic when they don't charge extra to use a card. Congratulations! :)

If you need a jumping-off point for some good card bonuses, doctorofcredit keeps a fair list:

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/best-current-credit-card-sign-bonuses/

Overall, I'd recommend starting with Chase Sapphire Preferred (bonus of $500, or more for travel as mentioned before) and Citi TY Premier (bonus of 50k points = $400 statement credit, or you could use it by transferring to a handful of travel partners, or $500 in gift cards or flights booked through citi), assuming a) you haven't received a chase sapphire card family bonus in the last 24 months, b) you haven't opened or closed a citi thankyou card in 24 months)

If you have a Wells Fargo branch close to you, and haven't got a bonus from one of their cards in 18 (I believe) months, that Propel World is an attractive option as well for $400 + $100 of travel reimbursements.

In all three of these cases there's an annual fee waived for the first year, so after one year you'd want to product change them down to a no-annual-fee card or close them if none are available. Good options with Chase are the freedom unlimited or freedom, and with Citi you can product change to nearly any card they offer, including some you can't even apply directly for.

Oh, and sidenote: if you have a family member or friend who already has the Chase Sapphire Preferred, get them to refer you - if the family member of mine who referred me was any indication, they'll be really grateful for the free $100 in UR points they get out of it!

As for a fourth or fifth card? Personally I'd say it depends on your goals. An airline or hotel card that'd net you a ton of points for flights or nights that you would have otherwise spent real money on would be a good choice - the airline cards can also give you some general benefits when flying that carrier like a free checked bag or priority boarding. Chase has some nice airline and hotel cards on offer - United, Southwest, Marriott, even Hyatt and IHG. Citi has American Airlines but I've heard their award availability isn't as good.

astral fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Oct 29, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

I'm thinking about applying for a Target Red card. No fee for 5% on all Target purchases seems worthwhile (I'd otherwise put it on the 2% Fidelity card).

Any reasons not to do this? I'm thinking about the time I applied for the 3% Amazon card when there was a 5% Citicard equivalent.

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

Grumpwagon posted:

I'm thinking about applying for a Target Red card. No fee for 5% on all Target purchases seems worthwhile (I'd otherwise put it on the 2% Fidelity card).

Any reasons not to do this? I'm thinking about the time I applied for the 3% Amazon card when there was a 5% Citicard equivalent.

If you shop at Target a lot, I don't see why not. lovely fees aside, it's probably one of the better in-store credit cards you can get. Which one are you thinking of getting, credit or debit?

astral
Apr 26, 2004

Grumpwagon posted:

Consider their debit card instead of the credit card to spare yourself a hard pull.

If you don't (or do) have a Discover It card, this quarter is 5% at Target and Amazon.com. Doubles to 10% if you're in your first year.
https://www.discover.com/credit-cards/cashback-bonus/cashback-calendar.html

edit: Get a friend or family member to refer you for Discover It to get the otherwise-unavailable $50 signup bonus for making your first purchase - which also doubles, so you get a second $50 after one year. They get $50 too, which doubles if they're in their first year.

astral fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Oct 30, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

astral & halokiller posted:

good stuff

Thanks! I'm probably going to get the credit card, but honestly, I hadn't put a ton of thought into it. I'll consider that Discover, but I've been avoiding rotating category cards to keep the mental overhead of "which card to use" low.

As for the fees, as long as it's just the interest/late/overdraft fees, it shouldn't affect us. I didn't see any others.

Lastly, to piggyback on a prior question, I just bought a house. I'm definitely considering going for the min-spend signup bonuses, but as far as a straight cash back option, is the Lowe's 5% my best plan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I have a recard and have it set to autopay the full statement balance every month and I don't pay any fees or anything so not sure what halokiller is talking about.

The redcard is a chip only card with no magstripe, which they gave me in 2014-ish I think, and it's already "worn out" and doesn't read well in the readers at the self checkout (the ones at manned registers are apparently more sensitive, but it still takes a couple of inserts for the card to read. I just ordered a new one so it's not a big deal, not sure if it's an issue with early chip technology, how Target did chips in cards, or chip tech in general, but no way that card was going to last me until it expired in 2023.