Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cassius Belli
May 22, 2010

horny is prohibited

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Poor Freckles, thought of antlimony and died.

I can only imagine how bad with money horse divorces can get.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

High Lord Elbow
Jun 21, 2013

"You can sit next to Elvira."

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Yeah it certainly does in Iowa - you're only allowed to run a raffle as a non-profit.

Well, if you factor in the cost of a new car and his 12% 10 year loan he's definitely a not-profit.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

High Lord Elbow posted:

Well, if you factor in the cost of a new car and his 12% 10 year loan he's definitely a not-profit.

:master:

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Yond Cassius posted:

I can only imagine how bad with money horse divorces can get.

Imagine being stuck paying for the room, board, shoes, and feed bag of some broodmare that you were unable to maintain a stable relationship with. Really makes you think twice about galloping after phillies when you are already married.

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/79d266/help_sister_fell_for_a_psychic_scam_75000_in_debt/ posted:

So in January 2017, my sister was going through some major depression. She also kind of believes in psychics and evil spirits, so she turned to one to help her through this.
As psychics do, she was charged an arm and a leg every which way, and maxed out her credit cards to the tune of $74,000.

Two questions.

More emotionally, my sister feels the psychic did help somewhat. I feel that it is because she has taken steps towards helping her depression, and that control is what is helping her pull herself out of depression. How can I help her continue seeking therapy and help for this problem?

The loving money. Its a nauseating amount of debt. She paid the psychic through paypal mostly, and only stopped when her credit cards where maxed out. She signed them all up through debt consolidation, and is making $1200/month payments for the next 4 years.

Is there any legal avenues, or other ways to address this situation?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

That's less of a funny amount of money than a really sad amount of money. Now I feel sad.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Desperation is a hell of a thing. I spent maybe $50K out of pocket treating my own depression (albeit FDA approved approaches), because the alternative was...major depression.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Subjunctive posted:

albeit FDA approved approaches
Yea, this is known as getting help. Seeking treatment.

Psychics, on the other hand, ...

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Short of a conservatorship, probably jack poo poo.

Mental illness is a bitch.

Sic Semper Goon
Mar 1, 2015

Eu tu?

:zaurg:

Switchblade Switcharoo

If she wasn't depressed before, she certainly will be now.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Now I feel sad.

Hello I am a psychic that can help you with your depression. Payments through PayPal only please.

Virtue
Jan 7, 2009

Weatherman posted:

Hello I am a psychic that can help you with your depression. Payments through PayPal Bitcoin only please.

April
Jul 3, 2006

Aw yeah, this is the good stuff:

https://www.reddit.com/r/personalfinance/comments/79b2nx/seriously_delinquent_on_a_vehicle_lease/?st=j9crhr9f&sh=939e4b6d

quote:

Hello I am in need of help. Long story short I got myself into a lease I could never afford. I absorbed negative equity from a previous lease from a family member and ended up screwing myself. I am over the miles by 50k and the lease ends in January the mileage overage is .20 cents a mile.. do I just turn it in? Or try and buy or what.. my income right now is $800 a week after taxes. It has been out for repo for over a year now. They have never found the car

The comments are priceless....

quote:

I owe 11k in just lease payments I haven't made a payment on it in 11 months.. the truck is costing me $660 a month. I couldn't afford the insurance either so I don't have any on it and it isn't registered.. I'm only 23 years old and not a clue what to do. I can't afford to buy it. My credit score is 530. I have a lot of student loans

quote:

The lease it up in January so it wouldn't be considered stolen until then.. I was going to drop it off in December

But how did this young man get into this heinous situation that is totally not of his own doing? He's making $800/week, he should be able to fix this.

quote:

I just started making that weekly 3 weeks ago. I was a student before that. And unemployed

WAIT!! How did he get such a massive lease while unemployed?

quote:

I got screwed from a family member. I was driving around a car she leased and paid for. She was behind on the payments. Told me it had to be turned in and that I could get my own. Turns out when I leased a new car I absorbed all her late payments and poo poo. She said she'd pay for the payments but never did.

I have no idea how to translate that last one.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

April posted:

I have no idea how to translate that last one.

"I tried to gently caress my cousin, but then my cousin hosed me - AMA"

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?
[Property] Should I rent or join the property ladder?

quote:

I'm 21 living with my grandparents (paying £50/week) and sharing a room with my older brother. I don't know if it's worth renting a small flat, going into shared ownership or staying here until I have a large enough deposit and joining the property ladder. What have people here done and what would you suggest to someone like myself?
Some info on my financial situation; I'm earning £14.6k annually (~1200/month) Monthly spendings add up to roughly £450. This includes car insurances and tax, board, gym, phone contract, and general spends This leaves me with roughly £750/month
Ideally I'd prefer to leave home because my grandparents struggle with two 20+ year olds, but I understand trying to save money whilst renting is difficult.
Any help would be appreciated.

Another redditor asks:

quote:

What do you mean your grandparents struggle? Financially or socially?
I'd suggest moving out (renting) with your brother. You'd share the bills and have money leftover to save for a deposit.

OP:

quote:

Mainly financially but that does have an effect socially. I'll talk to him about it. Thanks

Redditor:

quote:

If it's financially I'd suggest contributing more?

OP:

quote:

That would make it harder to save, if I paid more board I could pay the same amount while renting so that wouldn't solve the issue.

So OP is saving his own money by living with his grandparents and letting them struggle financially. :waycool:

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Chocolate Milk posted:

Another redditor asks:

OP:

Redditor:

OP:

So OP is saving his own money by living with his grandparents and letting them struggle financially. :waycool:

His grandparents are crabs trying to pull him back into the boiling pot.

Also paying more to share a room isn't that great either when you're 21 years old and want to live your life. Maybe if he convinced his brother to move he could make it work for 100 a week.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chocolate Milk posted:

Another redditor asks:

OP:

Redditor:

OP:

~500 per month (collectively) for a single room seems entirely reasonable. I don't see how he is screwing over his grandparents unless he is living in the heart of London (unlikely).

Drunk Tomato
Apr 23, 2010

If God wanted us sober,
He'd knock the glass over.

John Smith posted:

~500 per month (collectively) for a single room seems entirely reasonable. I don't see how he is screwing over his grandparents unless he is living in the heart of London (unlikely).

He doesn't mention anything about food. So young guy and his brother might be eating granny out of house and home.

Chocolate Milk
May 7, 2008

More tea, Wesley?

John Smith posted:

Where are you getting 500 from? If he and his brother are paying 50 a week each, that's 400 a month. And he's said nothing about paying for food or other bills, and he specifically says his grandparents are struggling financially with two 20-year-olds.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Chocolate Milk posted:

Where are you getting 500 from? If he and his brother are paying 50 a week each, that's 400 a month. And he's said nothing about paying for food or other bills, and he specifically says his grandparents are struggling financially with two 20-year-olds.

Something doesn't seem to add up. Other than food and utilities, what expenses does a 20 year old generate living there instead of his own place? No way those two add up to much more than several hundred pounds.

Is it the opportunity cost of otherwise being able to rent out the rooms?

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
I can easily rack up a $400 food bill every month if I wanted to. And it’s a lot easier to do that when someone else is buying your groceries.

John Smith
Feb 26, 2015

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Chocolate Milk posted:

He is quoting in pounds.

True, if he is not paying for his own food, then that may be a significant amount. But we have no clear information on that.

John Smith fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Oct 29, 2017

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS
My student digs in a cheap area of a relatively inexpensive city were about £100 a month back in 1999 so fifty a month sounds incredibly low.

The cheapest average rent in the UK is £400 a month in Hull (because Hull is rubbish), with the cheapest I've found there from a quick search to be £175 per month, and that's as a month to month rent as a glorified house sitter. Those boys are getting a hell of a deal from their folks if they're getting utilities and food included.

Amara
Jun 4, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

My student digs in a cheap area of a relatively inexpensive city were about £100 a month back in 1999 so fifty a month sounds incredibly low.

The cheapest average rent in the UK is £400 a month in Hull (because Hull is rubbish), with the cheapest I've found there from a quick search to be £175 per month, and that's as a month to month rent as a glorified house sitter. Those boys are getting a hell of a deal from their folks if they're getting utilities and food included.

It's per week.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Dunno how I managed to type fifty per month there, I meant week. My point was that to get to fifty per week you need to be in one of the lowest priced areas of the country AND be doing what amounts to house sitting on very short contracts.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe
This is last week's news but the NZ National Party finally lost their copyright infringement case to Eminem. This is the same political party that changed the Copyright Act to make the rules more strict, also conducted a raid on Kim Dotcom's house and just lost the election after declaring victory.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment/music/95132686/national-party-loses-court-decision-on-use-of-eminemesque-song

quote:

In a 132-page decision released by Justice Helen Cull on Wednesday, the Wellington High Court judge found Eminem's Lose Yourself was a "highly original" work and the "soundalike" version called Eminem Esque, which National used in a campaign advert in 2014, substantially copied it.

John Oliver's take on this if you want something less dry.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCDqHVMzyl8

GWM: Eminem is donating the proceeds of the court case to hurricane relief.

Devian666 fucked around with this message at 00:28 on Oct 30, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
I have to say that the new thread title is just... ridiculously good.

Content: I work for a small boutique consulting company, and we have a really good match on a great set of funds in a Fidelity 401k. As of 2017, we get matched dollar for dollar up to 5% of salary, so even for our absolutely most junior fresh out of school 22 year olds they can get about $3,500 in free money from the company. Before 2017, we got a 50% match on every dollar contributed to the 401k. One of my peers has been here six years and has risen up through the ranks, now making probably low six figures in base salary. I learned the other week that despite being generally GWM he has not contributed a single dollar to the 401k until this year. He was pissed about it now, but the rationale at the time was that he thought every year from 2-5 that he would probably bail and go to b-school so he figured cash on hand was more valuable to him. Still, I calculate that he missed out on somewhere between $30,000 and $51,500 in free money from the company, exclusive of tax benefits and returns.

BEHOLD: MY CAPE
Jan 11, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

I have to say that the new thread title is just... ridiculously good.

Content: I work for a small boutique consulting company, and we have a really good match on a great set of funds in a Fidelity 401k. As of 2017, we get matched dollar for dollar up to 5% of salary, so even for our absolutely most junior fresh out of school 22 year olds they can get about $3,500 in free money from the company. Before 2017, we got a 50% match on every dollar contributed to the 401k. One of my peers has been here six years and has risen up through the ranks, now making probably low six figures in base salary. I learned the other week that despite being generally GWM he has not contributed a single dollar to the 401k until this year. He was pissed about it now, but the rationale at the time was that he thought every year from 2-5 that he would probably bail and go to b-school so he figured cash on hand was more valuable to him. Still, I calculate that he missed out on somewhere between $30,000 and $51,500 in free money from the company, exclusive of tax benefits and returns.

Well he is not all that GWM if he doesn't realize that stuffing his own money into a 401(k) is more valuable than cash savings that would pay down business school tuition even without a completely free generous employer match. Nevermind the bonus good fortune he would've been having killing it in the market for the last five years.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
He's GWM in that he makes more money than he spends and has a fairly high savings rate which beats the gently caress out of most of the retards that get posted in this thread

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Hoodwinker
Nov 7, 2005

My body can't handle this much blood rushing to my nethers so quickly.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Ol' Gil really screwed the pooch on this one! This is worse than the time I bought all those yo-yos!

Elephanthead
Sep 11, 2008

Toilet Rascal
Are those the unsafe recalled ones? Guy needs to get out to some flea markets and fair type events and move those spinners!

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
fentanyl can only dream of being a high this good

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

hahahahahahahaha

This is amazing.

I remember being such a hero when I picked one up early on when they were sold out everywhere, but about 4 weeks later you couldn't walk in a store without tripping over them.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:
Just waiting for this long-awaited Pog rally to kick off!

And boy, am I well stocked on Beanie Babies!

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011

EXISTENCE IS PAIN😬
That dude should work the local fair/flea market circuit. I'm sure with enough time and effort he could still eke out a bit of a profit.

Moneyball
Jul 11, 2005

It's a problem you think we need to explain ourselves.
Wonder if he'd be interested in trading them for my Silly Bandz collection.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I follow the blog of a card/game store here locally. Guy says he ordered fidget spinners and they were selling like gangbusters for $20 all day every day. Then when he ran out, he didn't order them again because they were definitely going to be $4 products inside a Wal Mart within a couple weeks.

No regrets.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

https://twitter.com/Billbrowder/status/925416890750652416

BWM? GWM? Hard to say.