Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

Len posted:

I just signed the gf and I up for that the other day and can't wait to get our cards. We have three theaters within 15 minutes that take it so there's never a reason for us to be sitting around bored on a Sunday again. Even if there's nothing we want to see we can at least go and hate watch bad movies

Movie Pass is great, and you should take advantage of it as much as possible before it inevitably goes bankrupt or raises prices back to $30/mo since the hot new thing to do now is scam them by buying gift cards every single day at theaters that haven't caught on yet. gently caress you, assholes on Slickdeals that are ruining a good thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Even 30/month would be a decent deal, even if you could only see one movie a week it's buy 3 get one free. I never did it before because even at that price some theaters didnt take it.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Even 30/month would be a decent deal, even if you could only see one movie a week it's buy 3 get one free. I never did it before because even at that price some theaters didnt take it.
The issue I have with that is that sometimes I go a good long while between seeing anything in theaters because there's nothing worth seeing or I'm too busy,

January: 0, Maybe saw something I missed in December.
February: 2
March: 3
April: 1
May: 4
June: 3
July: 2
August: 1
September: 1
October: 2

This is a bit of an off year. Not sure if a movie pass would have paid off at the rate I'm going.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

I thought about signing up for Movie Pass several times at the $30/mo and $40/mo prices, but theaters around here have $6 or $8 matinee showings, so I'd have to do a minimum of 5 movies a month to make it worth it.

I mean when they eventually raise it to $20/mo I'll still be on board, but I'm utilizing it knowing it's not going to be around forever. It sure is nice though to go to a movie you know will probably be poo poo and not have to do the "is this worth me wasting ~$10 on" exercise.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

If there's an offer for movies or dinners or something that doesn't make sense, it's all paid for by VC money and you're a sucker if you don't bleed them dry. Just don't sign up for any recurring payments or minimum durations or anything

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

got any sevens posted:

Yeah even then it's still not bad just go see something on a Sunday and you'll end up ahead but I couldn't justify $60/no for that but 20? That's doable.

I didn't know people were using them to get gift cards that's lovely. Why can't you just accept your free daily movie?

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's something Im seriously considering. There are a shitload of movie theaters around me and even in the "dead" months of movies (like January or w/e) there are like 2-3 "artsy" type theaters around me that usually have some random foreign films or independent movies of note.
I wonder if it's something that could be surreptitiously "shared" among other non actual subscribers ala netflix

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I know sequel talk was a few pages back, but I just want to throw in that I'm still waiting for Disney to make the proper sequel to 101 Dalmations, The Starlight Barking.

Turns out, dogs are actually aliens, and the LORD OF THE DOG STAR SIRIUS wants to take them off of the Earth before humans destroy it with nuclear war!

Such a weird loving book.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
And I thought it was weird that The Brave Little Toaster Goes To Mars was actually based on a sequel to the book.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Got curious and built a spreadsheet. This is based off wide-release date unless I could remember when I actually saw the movie.

Didn't know MoviePass existed in 2012. Probably could've used one. We had like $90 built up on our Marcus Rewards card by mid-summer that year.

September is surprisingly the worst month according to this. I would've figured it to be February or March.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I hear people talk about movie pass on this forum all the time but I've never I've seen it advertised anywhere. What is the cost? Does is only work with certain chains, or is it certain studios?

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

Good News, Taken is actually coming back for a second season. I didn't make it past the second episode myself

e: also the Lethal Weapon TV show is actually pretty good

I checked out of Lethal Weapon after the first episode when Riggs' wife gets killed by a truck because she's not paying attention to the road and instead stroking her pregnancy stomach.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

I hear people talk about movie pass on this forum all the time but I've never I've seen it advertised anywhere. What is the cost? Does is only work with certain chains, or is it certain studios?

You pay $10 a month, you can see a movie every day for free but you can only see a movie once.

You use your phone to check into the theater and it sends the money for one ticket to your card, then you buy it like normal. It has nothing to do with chains/studios, you can look up listings for theaters near you that it works with.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Moviepass for $30/month for unlimited movies was a hell of a deal. That's why I used it religiously from 2015 to the beginning of this year. Then they decreased the number of movies you could see per month and upped the price, so it was still kind of a deal but not nearly as much as it was before.

$10/month for unlimited movies is a loving steal, so of course I signed up again. It's proving real useful so far. Although the last time I had it, I used it to go see every poo poo movie that came out just because I could and I'm trying not to do that as much this time around.

I obviously haven't learned yet because I saw The Snowman, but I'm trying.

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

Vince MechMahon posted:

I checked out of Lethal Weapon after the first episode when Riggs' wife gets killed by a truck because she's not paying attention to the road and instead stroking her pregnancy stomach.

jokes on you it turned out her death was a planned hit and not the result of not paying attention to the road and instead stroking her pregnancy stomach.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Well poo poo I know what I'm getting my wife for Christmas

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Well poo poo I know what I'm getting my wife for Christmas

A pregnancy stomach?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

We are one and done, since we had the perfect child

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Al Borland Corp. posted:

We are one and done, since we had the perfect child

tim_grunt.wav

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

GonSmithe posted:

You pay $10 a month, you can see a movie every day for free but you can only see a movie once.

You use your phone to check into the theater and it sends the money for one ticket to your card, then you buy it like normal. It has nothing to do with chains/studios, you can look up listings for theaters near you that it works with.

You can actually see any movie you want, as many times as you want. They removed that restriction when they changed the price to $10. You also can't do IMAX/3D/special screenings.

The app kinda sucks and a recent update to the Android app completely broke the ability to check into films for one day. Their customer service is basically non-existent so the only reason I learned that was due to Reddit. It also took nearly 2 months to get my card. Going to the movies at least 2x a week though, and only spending $10. Worth it.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
The card turnaround is getting better, apparently. Mine took about 2 months but my friend got one and it took 5 days for him to get it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Wandle Cax posted:

jokes on you it turned out her death was a planned hit and not the result of not paying attention to the road and instead stroking her pregnancy stomach.

No reason for it to even happen though, as she clearly would have Darwined herself regardless.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

In the movies it turns out she was killed by one of the South Africans from the second film who also kills Patsy Kensit, that's probably too 80s to work now but I haven't watched the show to see what they did instead.

I've only used MoviePass twice as I've been too tired the past week to go out late at night, but that already means I'm ahead and thanks to the chain cinemas here showing Chinese, Indian, and Filipino movies there is always something to go to even if the mainstream stuff is awful.

Also free South Africa, you dumb son of a bitch!

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Vince MechMahon posted:

I saw The Mothman Prophesies a few months ago and I found it really funny that the whole story is kicked off by Richard Gere hitting a mothman with his car.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Tars Tarkas posted:

In the movies it turns out she was killed by one of the South Africans from the second film who also kills Patsy Kensit, that's probably too 80s to work now but I haven't watched the show to see what they did instead.

I've only used MoviePass twice as I've been too tired the past week to go out late at night, but that already means I'm ahead and thanks to the chain cinemas here showing Chinese, Indian, and Filipino movies there is always something to go to even if the mainstream stuff is awful.

Also free South Africa, you dumb son of a bitch!

Yeah the reasoning in the movie was great, which confused the gently caress out of me that it seemed like the show wasn't using it. You could set up a multi season thing using that poo poo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Red Bones posted:

I saw The Mothman Prophesies a few months ago and I found it really funny that the whole story is kicked off by Richard Gere hitting a mothman with his car.

Did he ever try just apologising to the mothman?

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Everyone knows Mothmen throw themselves in front of cars. Its an insurance scam.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Well, you'd think a being that can fly and see the future would know when a car is coming.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Inescapable Duck posted:

Well, you'd think a being that can fly and see the future would know when a car is coming.

So basically they're these guys?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

I was going to say owls get hit by cars all the time and they're associated with at least wisdom, if not prophecy, but didn't because it wasn't a good joke. This is a much, much worse joke, because it's not even a joke, it's a reference to another joke that is actually the opposite of funny.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.
This is the second time DBZ abridged has been posted on these forums, and if it could be the last time forever, that would be really super great.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Why? They are good boys

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Inescapable Duck posted:

Did he ever try just apologising to the mothman?

If anything the mothman should just apologize to him since his wife died in the car accident and mothmen are obviously invincible.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

K. Waste posted:

This is the second time DBZ abridged has been posted on these forums, and if it could be the last time forever, that would be really super great.

gently caress you DBZ Abridged is hilarious

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

gently caress you DBZ Abridged is hilarious

Nope.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
It's like 70% great, 30% awful garbage. Like the source material 😄

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747
The literal only jokes in the entire thing that don't land for me are "Freaky Alien Genotype" and Ghost Nappa, and even those were hilarious when I discovered it at like age 14

...jesus, DBZA has been going on for almost a loving decade :stare:

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink
DBZ is plenty funny on it's own, and for the most part Abridged just shines a spotlight at jokes that were already there.

The jokes that are original to Abridged are uniformly unfunny.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

The best joke in DBZ is when the world is saved from Buu, and everyone on the planet chants "SATAN! SATAN!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Schwarzwald posted:

DBZ is plenty funny on it's own, and for the most part Abridged just shines a spotlight at jokes that were already there.

The jokes that are original to Abridged are uniformly unfunny.

counterpoint: Piccolo's myspace

• Locked thread