Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I never used B-Mode since Taunt does basically the same thing with none of the downsides and also has chips that can upgrade it to gamebreaking levels with minimal effort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

darealkooky posted:

the actual problem with this boss is that its one of the few that isn't scripted as gently caress, which leads me to believe that whoever was making the bosses in this game just sucked at their job in general but was really good at making it seem like they don't via flashy phase changes/interactive cutscenes that operate under invisible timers.
I agree. Hegel is a particularly bad fight, but most boss fights in Automata are not that great either.

Penultimatum
Apr 2, 2010
Is it just me, or does the black cube blob thing inside hacking space look kind of like a shade?

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Penultimatum posted:

Is it just me, or does the black cube blob thing inside hacking space look kind of like a shade?

Nah it was too boxy to be a shade.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Know Such Peace posted:

I agree. Hegel is a particularly bad fight, but most boss fights in Automata are not that great either.

I still quite enjoyed Beauvoir and the Adam fights
the rest were more spectacle or damage sponges than interactive, but ehh

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Know Such Peace posted:

Hegel feels incredibly undercooked after the perfectly-executed introduction to Route C. The developers probably should have scrapped the fight entirely. At best, he should have been an optional boss like those three bullshit bosses from the Dark Souls 2 DLC.

They could have improved it dramatically just by making hegel take friendly fire.

Aumanor
Nov 9, 2012
Disregarding the terrible boss fight for a moment, I think A2's quick romp in the hackerspace might suggest that 2B was actually an E-type android. Was she dispatched to keep an eye on 9S?

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Aumanor posted:

Was she dispatched to keep an eye on 9S?

And stop him from loving up any more flight units?

Zoe
Jan 19, 2007
Hair Elf

Aumanor posted:

Disregarding the terrible boss fight for a moment, I think A2's quick romp in the hackerspace might suggest that 2B was actually an E-type android. Was she dispatched to keep an eye on 9S?

Yeah that tiny bit of text raised a hell of a lot of questions, that was probably the most significant part of the update for me.

Qrr
Aug 14, 2015

ultrafilter posted:

That does raise an interesting question, though. A2's been down on earth for a while, hates machines, and is at least occasionally operating near the machine village. How does it still exist?

If you try and visit the village as A2, she actually does say something. I'm surprised TDI didn't show it off.

SarahSyna
Oct 24, 2015
^ He probably will in another update.

Is that song during the hacking bit 'sang' by Emi Evans (i.e. Devola)? I wonder if it'll be relevant. I mean, I doubt it, but still.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.
So that was fun!

Stephen9001
Oct 28, 2013
I told you 2B was [REDACTED], and now you can see that she really is [REDACTED]. And I refuse to believe otherwise with such irrefutable proof.

I can have moments of... eccentricity and sometimes be quite curious about things. Please forgive me if I do something foolish or rude.

Arkanumzilong
Sep 10, 2016

Dabir posted:

I've not really seen anyone trying to make an excuse for Hegel, but the theory behind introducing b-mode here is that A2 doesn't know what's good for her. Pod gives good advice, while following A2's first instinct will probably get you killed.

That is more or less what I was trying (poorly) to talk about earlier
That the tutorial part of the fight and how it seems designed around making b-mode useless are sometimes interpreted as being on purpose rather than a (un)happy accident

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I'm really enjoying this lP and by extension game

It's really art .

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

I have not played this game yet. However, I wish to find the people who designed this boss fight and ask them "Exactly how many drugs did you folks take before designing and then approving this boss fight? And where can I get them?". Because Hegel just looks absolutely not fun to fight against on any difficulty, and especially on higher difficulties where enemies can OHKO you if the player coughs at the wrong moment.

On the other hand, A2's child murder streak continues, so at least that side of Yoko Taro is chugging along nicely.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Huh.

I didnt realize both 2b and A2 had moles in the exact same spot.

Andyzero
May 22, 2009

I used to spoil, I'm sorry.

Stephen9001 posted:

I told you 2B was [REDACTED], and now you can see that she really is [REDACTED]. And I refuse to believe otherwise with such irrefutable proof.

[DATA EXPUNGED]

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Synthbuttrange posted:

Huh.

I didnt realize both 2b and A2 had moles in the exact same spot.

Neither did I. Maybe she literally is an early version of 2B's model.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Or they come from a big bulk order of android faces

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Tim Buckley oversaw the face department.

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant
I'm kind of enjoying Doesn't Give A poo poo About The Plot Bot as a breather after the opening to Route C, I have to say.

Charles_Kinbote
Sep 12, 2017
Hegel's shtick is that he's named after Georg Friedrich Hegel, which if memory serves claims that morality lies in the community. Hence a bunch of Boku-shi (Mozi) and So-shi (Zhuangzi) orbs binned together. Moreover, the EMP attack segment is a reference to Hegel's theory of history, wherein the thesis and antthesis combine to a synthesis. That is to say, when Hegel hits you with the EMP, he forces a synthesis of both the machine and android data, including between A2 and 2B.

About the story components that other guy was going on about, Hegel is extremely difficult to beat without pod help, even at level 99 (on very hard, at least). You're best off railing on Hegel from long range, then spending the rest of your energy trying to dodge the Hegel orbs, perhaps in one of the ruins that blocks Hegel's pathing. However, if you inject shittons of offensive heal chips, you can break the boss "design" and just B-mode your way through Hegel's attacks. That's in the design, too; you're given a choice between A2 and 042's strategy, and you can hybridize them as well (long-range fire during initial phases, B-Mode+chips when Hegel comes down to rock).

Lastly, Hegel is notoriously difficult to read; I got most of this stuff off instruction and the Plato philosophy encyclopedia. Killing Hegel is moderately easier than reading Hegel. There's a reason he's named that.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Earth just 75% abandoned doomsday weapons by mass at this point?

Pyre of Word Salsa
Apr 25, 2017

I pray for a color palette that will not come.
Yeah, more or less. Like, maybe 76% if you squint. Probably 83% if you count in the doomsday weapons that reacted to YoRHa surveys with a death laser. No biggie.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

It's awesome that Sartre is a villainous side quest dude when his philosophy permeates the entire story so far .
Imho

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Mokinokaro posted:

Neither did I. Maybe she literally is an early version of 2B's model.

Alpha, Beta?

AirborneNinja
Jul 27, 2009

B is Battler while A is Attacker. A2 was part of some YoRHa prototype squad that went to Hawaii with Anemone, bad things happened apparently.

Literally the first time we meet Anemone.

The Dark Id posted:

Number Two...
Hmm? You know about 2B?

The Dark Id posted:

That’s... It’s Number 2. It really is her.
You know her?
YoRHa unit Number 2. She’s an older model, but the same type as you. We... worked together.
The Pearl Harbor drop?
Yes. The operation itself was a success, but the YoRHa fighters were completely wiped out. Their commander was Number 2... A2. Have you met her? Do you know where she is?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Yes that's what the stage play is. We'll learn more about it later.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

AirborneNinja posted:

B is Battler while A is Attacker. A2 was part of some YoRHa prototype squad that went to Hawaii with Anemone, bad things happened apparently.

i know that
things can mean more then one thing

megane
Jun 20, 2008

Glazius posted:

Is Earth just 75% abandoned doomsday weapons by mass at this point?

And every single last one of them has a tragic backstory where they long only to be hugged or something.

Yeowch!!! My Balls!!!
May 31, 2006

megane posted:

And every single last one of them has a tragic backstory where they long only to be hugged or something.

it turns out most fictitious universes end up this way after they've been allowed to run for a decade or so

the star wars universe is more world-destroying threats by volume than it is Original Jedi Do Not Steals at this point

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

It's awesome that Sartre is a villainous side quest dude when his philosophy permeates the entire story so far .
Imho

Sartre isn't villainous, he's just an rear end in a top hat. Who probably died in the desert.

Wonderslug
Apr 3, 2011

You don't say.
Fallen Rib

megane posted:

It's only called Nier: Automata because Nier: My God, Won't Anybody Give That Poor Robot a Hug was too long to fit on the promo materials.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Wonderslug posted:

It's only called Nier: Automata because Nier: My God, Won't Anybody Give That Poor Robot a Hug was too long to fit on the promo materials.

Well, to be fair, not all the robots live lives of utter misery. For example, hikikomori-bot seems perfectly happy with his life.

And... um... maybe someone else is happy too?

Zagglezig
Oct 16, 2012
I mean, I suppose Jean Paul is probably happy. He's a jerk that we don't like, but he was pretty content with himself last we saw.

Absum posted:

I don't remember getting that tutorial.... I thought it was just some random lore lol.

Unfortunately, much as I enjoy watching their games, considering the unspoken mechanics in Bayonetta, MG: Revengeance, and Wonderful 101, a bit of random lore is possibly a step in the right direction for Platinum, as far as at least informing some part of your brain that something exists.

The Dark Id posted:

why this boss fight it complete shite.

One of the primary ones is has an entire phase

Eventually, the segments of Hagel will detach

turns out giant metallic sphere have no problem zooming across the desert

Worn out from all this hacking assignment,

Fourth one should be "spheres" and last one just seemed like you didn't need the word "assignment".

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

megane posted:

You can't hug your children with doomsday weapons.

:yokotaro:: you can and you should

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

I ran head-first into the B mode trap when I encountered Hegel for the first time. I'm the one who got trolled. :saddowns:

Next attempt I actually pulled out Wire and during ground phase got lucky enough to only get attacked by orbs I had on screen, so I actually had fun! I thought the fight was hectic in a good way, with a novel concept.

Oooooooooh boy, what a cliff of bullshit I sailed around purely due to dumb luck

Ryas
Dec 28, 2012
Hegel isn't that bad.

Remember M-Shield?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nohman
Sep 19, 2007
Never been worse.
Just caught up with the thread from like mid-Route B. :stare:

Ryas posted:

Hegel isn't that bad.