Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs
First place Memphis Grizzlies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

tanglewood1420 posted:

What kind of team could you build from a disaster draft from scratch if you had to? I'm guessing if you went win now you would be around 30 wins or so. No team is going to leave any of their future talents unprotected so if you go for the future you'd have to take some big swings on raw potential/guys in bad situations and hope some hit. Either way, I'm not sure it'd much better than the Bulls or Knicks current rosters.

gently caress it, I'll do this anyway as a thought experiment. I'll take Chicago and assume that everyone is incapacitated so they need 15 players. Each team protects five, but cannot have more than two taken from them.

Two alternative teams:

Gamble on youth/tank tank tank

PG Tyus Jones (Minnesota)
SG Jonathan Simmons (Orlando)
SF Terrence Ross (Orlando)
PF Juan Hernangomez (Denver)
C Willie Cauley-Stein (Sacramento)

the kings would absolutely protect WCS (probably Bogdan, Fox, Hield, Skal & WCS) but we have this slightly used Kosta Koufos you can have instead

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

Before we make the team we should probably go through the teams and figure which 5 players they'd protect

Warriors probably go with Durant, Green, Thompson Curry, Iguodala

Spurs are tricky, I don't know who they'd protect after Kawhi and Lamarcus. Lots of options

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Sixers protect Embiid, Simmons, Covington, Fultz, and probably Saric?

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Ainge protects Rozier and I guess four other guys

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

The importance of this mission cannot be overemphasized

Spoeank posted:

the kings would absolutely protect WCS (probably Bogdan, Fox, Hield, Skal & WCS) but we have this slightly used Kosta Koufos you can have instead

I had them protecting George Hill over WCS, but you may have a point. For a young center with 'potential' swap him out for Zubac from the Lakers or Zizic from the Cavs and put Richaun Holmes in the starting lineup.

EvanTH posted:

Before we make the team we should probably go through the teams and figure which 5 players they'd protect

Warriors probably go with Durant, Green, Thompson Curry, Iguodala

Spurs are tricky, I don't know who they'd protect after Kawhi and Lamarcus. Lots of options

Yeah I already did this for each team first. I had Spurs protecting Aldridge, Kawhi, Gasol, Murray and Mills/Gay as their fifth. Even my hypothetical win now GM self wasn't cruel enough to take Parker or Manu from them.

Pandanaut posted:

You also can’t take more than one player per team.

Wikipedia said it was two per team max, and that's Wikipedia so.

tanglewood1420 fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Oct 29, 2017

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

E: ^^^

Cited on the Wiki.

The league would permit only five players on every other club to be protected, insuring that a fairly good player -- the sixth best -- could be drafted by the club suffering the tragedy. Each of the contributing clubs could lose only one player.

Pandanaut fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 29, 2017

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd
I suspect the Spurs might protect Manu or Tony even though they shouldn't

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

tanglewood1420 posted:

Yeah I already did this for each team first.

You can't just decide for all 30 teams we need to argue about it first >:[

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
A disaster draft would be a tragedy but watching teams massively screw up their protections, and watching players get chips on their shoulders from bring left out would be amazing.

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon
To contribute - I would guess the Celtics protect Irving, Hayward, Horford, Tatum and Brown.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
This is a good time to look back at the 2004 Bobcats expansion draft and how badly the team hosed that up. Like Jesus Christ that list of players.

By comparison the 1995 draft had a ton of quality players.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Pandanaut posted:

E: ^^^

Cited on the Wiki.

The league would permit only five players on every other club to be protected, insuring that a fairly good player -- the sixth best -- could be drafted by the club suffering the tragedy. Each of the contributing clubs could lose only one player.

Fair enough.

I guess on my win now team swap out Tyus Jones for George Hill (if Sac aren't protecting him) or Cory Joseph, then swap Marcus Morris for his bro or perhaps Andre Roberson.

The young team is a bit more complicated. Can't poach two from Denver's overflowing roster of young talented but not super talented rotation players.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

The Raptors should protect Delon, Purdel, Siakim, OG, and Fred

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Papercut posted:

This is a good time to look back at the 2004 Bobcats expansion draft and how badly the team hosed that up. Like Jesus Christ that list of players.

By comparison the 1995 draft had a ton of quality players.

Is there a list available of the guys they skipped?

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

NickRoweFillea posted:

First place Memphis Grizzlies

I wish I could enjoy this. :mad:

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

The Magic-Grizzlies Finals are gonna own

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
A disaster draft thread might have some legs

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Athanatos posted:

im currently scraping every team and their current players not gonna lie

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

The Glumslinger posted:

Is there a list available of the guys they skipped?

I think I dug up a list on some old forum.

http://forums.thesmartmarks.com/lofiversion/index.php?t56490.html

Redgrendel2001 fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Oct 29, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

the bulls protect lauri markkanen and cameron payne

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

R.D. Mangles posted:

they would absolutely protect both mirotic and portis

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

R.D. Mangles posted:

Bulls probably protect

Lauri, Lavine, Dunn, Lopez and and Niko

Maybe Valentine over Niko or Lopez

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Atlanta Hawks
  • Luke Babbitt
  • Kent Bazemore
  • Marco Belinelli
  • DeAndre' Bembry
  • Nicolas Brussino
  • John Collins
  • Dewayne Dedmon
  • Malcolm Delaney
  • Tyler Dorsey
  • Ersan Ilyasova
  • Josh Magette
  • Mike Muscala
  • Miles Plumlee
  • Taurean Prince
  • Dennis Schroder
  • Isaiah Taylor
i've got headshots and positions and whatnot too, could make it pretty
i'm gonna grab poo poo like ages and maybe some advanced stats i dunno. post ur fav advanced stat (if you say rpm i will ignore you)

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

Athanatos posted:

If someone starts a thread, here's the rules that were applicable for Charlotte in 2004.

Note: in year 1 they were only allowed to use 66% of the cap and year 2 was 75%.

quote:

SUMMARY OF EXPANSION DRAFT RULES

A. Player Selection

The Charlotte Bobcats Expansion Draft will take place on June 22 (if the NBA Finals extend to seven games, it will be June 23), prior to the 2004 NBA Draft on June 24.

The Bobcats will select a minimum of 14 players who are under contract or restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.

The Bobcats may select no more than one player from each team.

The Bobcats can only select players that are left unprotected by an NBA team.

Each of the 29 NBA teams may protect a maximum of eight players on its roster who are under contract or are restricted free agents at the conclusion of the 2003-04 season.

Each of the 29 NBA teams will designate the players on its roster who are eligible for selection by the Bobcats.

Each of the 29 NBA teams must designate at least one player on its roster to be eligible for selection by the Bobcats, even if the team does not have eight players under contract or as restricted free agents for the 2004-05 season.

Any player under contract selected by the Bobcats will immediately be placed on the Bobcats roster.

Any eligible restricted free agent selected by the Bobcats shall immediately become an unrestricted free agent.

Unrestricted free agents are not eligible to be protected nor are they eligible to be selected by the Bobcats.

B. Pre-Expansion Draft Trades

Teams will be permitted to enter into pre-Expansion Draft trades in which Charlotte agrees to select or not select certain unprotected players.

C. Salary Cap

Charlotte will be permitted to select players in the Expansion Draft without regard to the Salary Cap.

Charlotte will have a Salary Cap in its first season equal to 66% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league and a Salary Cap in its second season equal to 75% of the Salary Cap applicable to the rest of the league.

Charlotte will be permitted to sign any restricted free agent it selects in the Expansion Draft using the same Bird, Early Bird or Non-Bird Exception that the player's prior team would have had.

Compensation paid to a selected player under a contract protected for lack of skill will be excluded from Charlotte's Team Salary if the player's contract is terminated (via the waiver procedure) prior to the start of the 2004-05 season.

A team with a Team Salary above the Salary Cap will receive a Trade Exception to replace a player (other than a restricted free agent) selected from its unprotected list.

D. Post-Expansion Draft Transactions

A team will not be permitted to reacquire a player that it loses in the Expansion Draft prior to the expiration of one year from the date of the Expansion Draft, unless the player is waived and not claimed by any other team.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967
Myles Turner is "still in concussion protocol"

It's bad, fam.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

EvanTH posted:

Also what's the rule with leaving the bench now? Is that a suspension or just a fine? Is every single Wizard about to get penalized?

Ratios and Tendency posted:

Has anyone said the Oklahoma City Blunder yet?
me
every day

the clippers ditching CP3 with solid trade return & still being a good team is my feel-good nba story of the year. they deserve joy. also satisfying watching the warriors & wiz fight considerin how unlikeable both rosters are (washington really getting into the game of talking poo poo and not even remotely being able to back it up).

surprising listening to Open Floor and hear them argue that Carmelo is a definite hall of famer but Dwight isn't. Putting aside the whole "the hall of fame is too easy to get into/a joke". Dude took his team to the finals and was the dominant player at his position for a couple years. Is he a pedophile? bout as likely as steph

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
After DSJ and Barnes, I'm not sure who the Mavs would protect. If they think Noel might be back he'd be the next choice. (same with Seth Curry.) Maybe Yogi for the 5th.

edit:
It's sad that Dirk is past the point of instant protection. A team would have to be run by real jerks to take old Dirk in an emergency draft. I could still see the team protecting him as a courtesy.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Oct 29, 2017

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

lol

MOVIE MAJICK
Jan 4, 2012

by Pragmatica
You could absolutely build a team thats better than 50% of east teams from an disaster draft.

MOVIE MAJICK fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Oct 29, 2017

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch

Punkin Spunkin posted:

also satisfying watching the warriors & wiz fight considerin how unlikeable both rosters are (washington really getting into the game of talking poo poo and not even remotely being able to back it up).

I'll always treasure having watched IT roast John Wall in the playoffs right after everyone was lauding Wall's defense. Get well soon Isaiah. Love you.

tanglewood1420
Oct 28, 2010

Punkin Spunkin posted:

surprising listening to Open Floor and hear them argue that Carmelo is a definite hall of famer but Dwight isn't. Putting aside the whole "the hall of fame is too easy to get into/a joke". Dude took his team to the finals and was the dominant player at his position for a couple years. Is he a pedophile? bout as likely as steph

Dwight not making HOF would be insane. He had four consecutive years in the top five for win shares, and several solid to very good seasons around them. Even in his Lakers season where offensively he dropped off a cliff he was still one of the best players defensively in the league, and his first year in Houston he was excellent.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

That's pretty grim. They took the best guy available by far and no combination of those players is better than miserable.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
every mention of Open Floor makes it sound like it's run by a bunch of idiots

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Dwight was very good in Houston and I hated every second of his tenure

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

A sample of what we have so far

#22 Cameron Payne | Guard
6 ft 3 in | 185 lbs
Birthday: 08/08/94

#24 Lauri Markkanen | Forward
7 ft 0 in | 230 lbs
Birthday: 05/22/97

Cool Buff Man
Jul 30, 2006

bitch
My life is strange now that I spend an inordinate amount of time perusing basketball stats and trends. I've been smiling all day because Jay Tatum almost has a winshare, which is very wild for a rookie at this point in the year. I can never go back and I may start wearing glasses as an affectation

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Tae posted:

every mention of Open Floor makes it sound like it's run by a bunch of idiots
it's....o-k. tbf the other guy disagreed. Can't remember why/when I subscribed, but I've been listening to that along with the lowe post/Posting Up/Zach Harper's new show/The Full 48/Dunc'd On/The Starters
also the Rights to Ricky Sanchez sometimes

it's a good time for NBA podcasts now that every random writer is like "hey...podcasts...I could do that...why am I not doing that"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Time posted:

Dwight was very good in Houston and I hated every second of his tenure

Understandable. The free throws would drive me crazy.

If Dallas had current Dwight, he would easily be the best center on the team since Tyson Chandler. Dwight gets underrated because he is hated and isn't what he once was, he is still a good starter.

• Locked thread