Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

Grittybeard posted:

I mean Venables is a good 5-10 years past where he should have gotten a head coaching job. It'd be a good hire, but he either interviews like crap or doesn't want a HC job yet.

e: Holy crap he's only 46, I thought he was much older.

A lot of people said that about Kirby. Maybe he has a really short list of schools he would actually leave for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
So I'm pretty sure Malzahn might have lucked himself into another year with all of these SEC opening that look likely. I think it's all going to come down to the A&M game for him. I think if Auburn wins Sumlin is fired and Auburn waits for a more stable year to look for a new head coach. If Auburn loses I think they have to beat Georgia and Alabama for him to save his job and I don't see that happening.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Frankly we probably won't hire him, but I'd be remiss if I didn't want to Frost as revenge for the 1997 Fiesta Bowl.

The midwest flood of nebraska tears would be intractable and disastrous.

Or gently caress it, let's just hire Niumatalolo and see what he can do with Florida croots

Pandanaut
May 26, 2007

goin to the fuckin moon

KKKLIP ART posted:

A lot of people said that about Kirby. Maybe he has a really short list of schools he would actually leave for.

I think that would make sense. Being around a ton of Clemson folks, I know there’s a mentality that he’s just waiting for Kansas State if he were to leave.

If Florida came calling that may change that though. It’s just one of those jobs that if you can get it you may as well go for it (even with recent events).

At the same time, I don’t know if Florida folks would want to “settle” on a coordinator if Frost and Mullen are the initial chatter.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Venables wants the KState job and would be the perfect compromise candidate for both Synder and KState

KICK BAMA KICK
Mar 2, 2009

Duckaerobics posted:

So I'm pretty sure Malzahn might have lucked himself into another year with all of these SEC opening that look likely. I think it's all going to come down to the A&M game for him. I think if Auburn wins Sumlin is fired and Auburn waits for a more stable year to look for a new head coach. If Auburn loses I think they have to beat Georgia and Alabama for him to save his job and I don't see that happening.
Yeah as frustrating as he can be is we're clearly not as bad off as all the schools that have to pull the trigger this year and it's not worth jumping into that market. Plus I think you need a really good reason to throw away what Kevin Steele's built -- that defense lost Carl Lawson and Montravious Adams and got better. That's something very few programs manage to do, and I'd love to see if he keeps it up another year.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART
You all know very well that Bill Snyder will live forever, and I'm sure in the back of his mind, Venables knows it too.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Big Piece O poo poo posted:

Florida has to take a big swing here. The thing about the McElwain hire was that even those who liked the hire would admit that it was profoundly boring and safe. There's an enthusiasm deficit right now and the program needs a shiny new face to lead it. I don't think they'll get that from Dan "Mr. 8-4" Mullen or Charlie Strong.

I'm sure they're fine coaches but they've both got tread on their tires. Gator fans were all too happy to see Mullen leave for Mississippi State in '09. And taking Strong after he got chewed up and spat out by the previous major coaching job he had isn't going to get people excited. Similarly, I don't think it would be easy to sell a guy like Mike Norvell since it would just feel like another McElwain-esque hire.

They need to go after Chip Kelly and Scott Frost and get back to scoring 50 points a game.

He goes 8-4 at Missippi State, man. They were garbage before he got there. And if Florida fans were happy to lose him they were dumb as hell. Or maybe you really enjoyed the playcalling of Steve Addazio

Strong would be a dumb hire, I agree on that. He inherited a loaded team, and after Texas (where he genuinely did an awful job, no matter how mean boosters were to him) I'd want to see an extended run out of him at USF before I gave him another big job

MourningView fucked around with this message at 19:57 on Oct 29, 2017

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Mullen's got really little reason to leave Miss. State and Stricklin is probably happy to be done dealing with him.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

Mullen's got really little reason to leave Miss. State and Stricklin is probably happy to be done dealing with him.

This.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Ehud posted:

https://twitter.com/darrenheitner/status/924450026700537856

This is the same guy who originally reported the buyout stuff this morning.

Mullen would be a boring hire but it is hard to tell what his ceiling would be at a program that gets top 10 talent. I would prefer a different style of spread though, because Mullen's offense strikes me as overly dependent on a heroic juggernaut QB.

Stoops is the only guy they should be considering in the category of "Former DC who needs to make a good OC hire".

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

MourningView posted:

He goes 8-4 at Missippi State, man. They were garbage before he got there. And if Florida fans were happy to lose him they were dumb as hell. Or maybe you really enjoyed the playcalling of Steve Addazio

I was ready to hire Mullen after Muschamp.

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Komet posted:

I guess Joe Moorhead's stock crashed last night
He's gonna get an HC offer or two, probably at some MAC schools, or possibly some lower-end P5 schools.

Whether he takes it is a different story, he might be wait for a bigger opportunity, since he's in a good position to wait.

But thinking that an OC's stock crashed after losing 39-38 to a top-5 team is loving hilarious.

tactlessbastard
Feb 4, 2001

Godspeed, post
Fun Shoe
Hmm, yes, Bob Stoops, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Florida

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Wait poo poo, this was McElwain's third year at Florida?

I guess I really wrote 2016 out of my memory.

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Pakled posted:

Please please please hire him away from Clemson

Yeah, this is really overdue and needs to happen.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

tactlessbastard posted:

Hmm, yes, Bob Stoops, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Florida

Hmm, yes, Urban Meyer, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Ohio State

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

I can't post today, nevermind me.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

swickles posted:

Hmm, yes, Urban Meyer, who retired to save his own life, yes, he's going to come coach Ohio State

Lol

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DJExile posted:

His reason would be to go to a school where he can actually get enough talent to win something meaningful. And to not be stuck in Starkville.

Lasagna Pilot posted:

Mullen would be a boring hire but it is hard to tell what his ceiling would be at a program that gets top 10 talent. I would prefer a different style of spread though, because Mullen's offense strikes me as overly dependent on a heroic juggernaut QB.

Mullen has done a pretty good job or finding or developing those guys throughout his career. Nobody was beating down the door for Dak Prescott or Nick Fitzgerald but they turned out pretty good for Mullen.

swickles posted:

Urban Meyer is a dirty lying shitbird and I don't think Stoops is. Also, Stoops probably didn't really leave to avoid uncomfortable questions about his mass murdering tight end.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Stoops is also about a decade older than Urban Meyer was when he came back. Ten years can make a big difference in how dramatic the changes you need to make to preserve your health might be.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

His reason would be to go to a school where he can actually get enough talent to win something meaningful. And to not be stuck in Starkville.

He is paid $4.5 million to cruise through a division where nothing matters while Saban is at Bama. He's also a terrible interview. There's more than a few reasons he's been at Starkville for so long.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
ESPN's saying it's official now
http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21215201/florida-gators-head-coach-jim-mcelwain-part-ways

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

DJExile posted:

He is paid $5,000,000 to cruise through a division where nothing matters while Saban is at Bama. He's also a terrible interview. There's more than a few reasons he's been at Starkville for so long.

Your argument was “why would he leave Starkville” and the answer is “he would, and he’s tried in the past, he just hasn’t gotten an offer.”

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Your argument was “why would he leave Starkville” and the answer is “he would, and he’s tried in the past, he just hasn’t gotten an offer.”

Yeah i should have explained that better.

He's tried to leave before but I think at this point he's pretty comfortable where he's at. He's basically a god to Miss. State and he himself has hosed up previous attempts to leave anyway. I'd imagine he's pretty well planted at this point.

E: Moreover, I'd imagine Stricklin wants to hire someone himself at this point. I don't think Stricklin was the full time AD at Miss State yet when they hired Mullen.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Oct 29, 2017

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy
Georgia hosed themselves by running McElwain out IMO. Gotta think long game.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Yeah i don't get why people think he wouldn't leave; he's interviewed for other jobs several times. He has a pretty good thing going there but obviously he's not opposed to the idea of leaving for a higher ceiling job. He's mostly still there because he's an awful interview by all accounts.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

HOTLANTA MAN posted:

Georgia hosed themselves by running McElwain out IMO. Gotta think long game.

It's why Saban doesn't beat deadbeat coach by 70, imo.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back
It seems someone was forced into action today.

https://twitter.com/mikegriffith32/status/924722769572573185

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I was really hoping Florida losing to UAB was going to be the end for Mac. Oh well.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

Mouse Cadet posted:

Mizzou 2014 was pretty bad. Down 42-0 at home at halftime. We kept Muschamp around for a few more games but it was over for him at that point.

The Missouri game was bad, but at the time it really felt like Muschamp would've kept his job had Spurrier not beaten him in The Swamp. Foley and parts of the media were still rooting for him until it was absolutely clear he couldn't stay. In comparison, McElwain's support just evaporated.

I really hope Florida can win the knife fight with Nebraska for Scott Frost. Right now, I don't see a downside to hiring him other than that.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
I guess I'm okay with Frost but can somebody reassure me that it isn't another potential Mac? Good OC has great offense at major program and then does well as HC at a mid-major.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/gatorsfb/status/924745260844101632

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Wonder how much of his buyout he ends up with

Raku
Nov 7, 2012

Every good gift and every perfect gift is from above, coming down from the Father of lights with whom there is no variation or shadow due to change.

Roll Tide
Looking at Frost.... Man, his best win ever is like, vs Memphis

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

an adult beverage posted:

I guess I'm okay with Frost but can somebody reassure me that it isn't another potential Mac? Good OC has great offense at major program and then does well as HC at a mid-major.
Well, his lineage is Chip Kelly, which is pretty different than Saban.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

GobiasIndustries posted:

Wonder how much of his buyout he ends up with

$11 million or so

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

I feel so blessed right now

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Summary of potential hires

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/924748896437506048

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

an adult beverage posted:

He is the right sort of hire but far from a sure thing, would not put him at the top of the list.

People get a little too excited about the Win-Loss records of these coaches that go to the mid majors with a talent advantage. Improving Syracuse or Miss State or Purdue is much trickier than winning at USF or Houston.

UCF was bad last year so that part looks good for Frost, but they still look like a team that has a bunch of overlooked 3* FL recruits that panned out.

• Locked thread