Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike_V
Jul 31, 2004

3/18/2023: Day of the Dorks
I guess Barry Odom's seat is a little safer, if only because Mizzou isn't as good a job as Tennessee or Florida and a couple other schools that'll be looking to hire.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/matthayescfb/status/924753062287368192

Troy Queef
Jan 12, 2013

https://twitter.com/KDallavis/status/924752148084219904

(If you're curious, those are Richt [fired], Pinkel 2x [retired due to health concerns], and now McElwain 2x [fired].)

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Seriously how the gently caress do you turn down calls from Spurrier :mad:

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.
Any other Gators getting the feeling that we have been slipping down into Tennessee/Nebraska territory of former powerhouses that now have an 8-9 win ceiling? I am not excited about this coaching search.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

superbelch posted:

Any other Gators getting the feeling that we have been slipping down into Tennessee/Nebraska territory of former powerhouses that now have an 8-9 win ceiling? I am not excited about this coaching search.

For a while now. I think urban was the exception not the rule.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

superbelch posted:

We definitely have been. The East is just too "easy" (as in, everyone except one team is usually utter poo poo). You can quite easily get to 8/9 wins if you schedule the right cupcake/OOC games. We need someone who can push through that 10 win barrier, and take on Alabama.

LiquidFriend
Apr 5, 2005

Mike_V posted:

I guess Barry Odom's seat is a little safer, if only because Mizzou isn't as good a job as Tennessee or Florida and a couple other schools that'll be looking to hire.
I don't think openings at other SEC schools will impact Odoms job security.

He's fortunate that his final month looks a lot easier.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

EvilHawk posted:

We definitely have been. The East is just too "easy" (as in, everyone except one team is usually utter poo poo). You can quite easily get to 8/9 wins if you schedule the right cupcake/OOC games. We need someone who can push through that 10 win barrier, and take on Alabama.

Think about this. Jones beat both UF and UGA last year, but didn't win the SEC East. How in the hell is that possible?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

superbelch posted:

What, no. Tennessee/Nebraska's problem is that their recruiting sucks. Florida still has a crap ton of talent. If they could coach up a QB, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

superbelch posted:

Not really, most of their advantages are money and being one of three power-5 Florida schools. They don't rely too much on name recognition outside of their regional footprint or memories of past success.

What would reduce their ceiling is if every directional Florida school got added to a power-5 conference and diluted the recruiting advantages.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

superbelch posted:

- Florida fans after experiencing a mere 7 years of mediocre football

This could've been said about Alabama just before Saban. Now life might be trickier if Georgia really wakes up, or if Richt can bring back Miami's glory days. Florida's still the best job open this cycle, and is still a place where you can win national championships.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

nate fisher posted:

Think about this. Jones beat both UF and UGA last year, but didn't win the SEC East. How in the hell is that possible?

I think you have your answer

Vice Zoomler Aestro
Apr 4, 2003
pray the rosary dawgs

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

What, no. Tennessee/Nebraska's problem is that their recruiting sucks. Florida still has a crap ton of talent. If they could coach up a QB, we wouldnt be having this conversation.

Butch Jones had back-to-back top-5 recruiting classes his first two years. Recruiting fell off for a couple years after that because he got creative and ended up with enormous classes, so didn't have the scholarships or playing time to offer . Tennessee has a top-10 recruiting class for 2018, even with a few players dropping off either out of fears that Butch isn't a good coach or because he won't be there next year.

Dooley was a bad recruiter. Butch is just a lovely game-time coach. There are also concerns that Butch and his staff aren't that good at developing talent. The program is still in better shape now than when he got there, but everyone's come to terms with the fact that Butch isn't a good enough coach to make that push back to being a national power.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
lol i swear to god you idiots still think charlie strong is a good football coach what is wrong with yall

please god florida hire him so you can get 3 more years of abject misery

also could i interest you in a lightly used tim beck

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

What, no. Tennessee/Nebraska's problem is that their recruiting sucks.

I take it you haven't been following recruiting? Outside of Dooley Tennessee has never had a real issue with recruiting. Yes they have to steal players from states like Georgia, North/South Carolina, and etc. That said going by class rankings Jones should be coaching a top 10 team right now.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

https://twitter.com/onlygators/status/924776812831494144

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
sec schools:

florida: wants to be a national power, completely irrelevant before the 90's

A&M: wants to be a national power, historically average to slightly above average

Tennessee: wants to be a national power, only program to have the history

Auburn: wants to be a national power, historically lol

LSU: wants to be a national power, completely irrelevant before the 2000's

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
CANT ALL BE WINNERS FOLKS

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Apparently it's only $4m

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Tennessee’s staff has been complete poo poo at developing talent during Jones’ tenure and I’ve talked about it for years. It’s a huge issue. Tennessee has the biggest recruiting budget iirc In the country, and in-state talent has been improving over the last decade, especially in the middle Tennessee area. Recruiting ain’t the problem.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf
Wrong thread

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

EvilHawk posted:

Apparently it's only $4m

Where's that from?

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Scionix posted:

sec schools:

florida: wants to be a national power, completely irrelevant before the 90's

A&M: wants to be a national power, historically average to slightly above average

Tennessee: wants to be a national power, only program to have the history

Auburn: wants to be a national power, historically lol

Scionix posted:

CANT ALL BE WINNERS FOLKS

True but I don't see the logic in pretending for example that LSU shouldn't be expected to be a power because of history that doesn't apply to present day facts. They are steadily top 5 in NFL talent and have no in-state competition, what do game results from leather helmet generals running the wishbone have to do with LSU's 2017 reasonable expectations for their program?

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Scionix posted:

they have the 12th most wins of any FBS program

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

yall realize you're taking scionix seriously, right

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

DJExile posted:

yall realize you're taking scionix seriously, right

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Another list with some different names

https://twitter.com/brucefeldmancfb/status/924783093315022848

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

EvilHawk posted:

Apparently it's only $4m

That seems real low, I would assume it's 6m at worst.

Godzilla07
Oct 4, 2008

GobiasIndustries posted:

That seems real low, I would assume it's 6m at worst.

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/924774386107846656

Jimmy Sexton doesn't wanna anger Florida since he's also Dan Mullen's agent. Also $3MM of that is going to Colorado State ($1.5MM from Florida, $1.5MM from McElwain personally), so McElwain is only seeing about a million bucks.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
fyi kiffin is getting florida job

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
drat Jim McElwain was the god drat gift that keeps on giving for Colorado State. CSU made out like bandits.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

superbelch posted:

No, this is dumb.

Tennessee relied on national recruiting and feasting on Georgia and SC while UGA/SC/Clemson were all down in the 90s. That's no longer the case.

Nebraska feasted on a homegrown training program and super-deep walk-on program to stack their lines and basically snagged skill guys from around the country (Frazier was from Florida, Rozier from New Jersey, Phillips from CA, etc.).

UF has incredible built-in recruiting advantages that neither of these schools have.

I don't think that just anyone can win at UF - but I'm not sure that's true anywhere.

Saban would've dominated as much at UF, LSU (if he'd stayed), USC, UGA, Florida State, Texas, Michigan, Ohio State or Miami as he has at Bama - Bama isn't some supernatural wonderland, it's the product of Saban's incredible process and whatnot.

The reality is that UF fans want a functional football team that's entertaining to watch and looks like it's being coached by someone who knows what they're doing. I don't expect our next coach to be Saban - that's insanely loving stupid.

I just want to enjoy Florida football again.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

anything but more of this

https://twitter.com/zach_barnett/status/924789201111052289

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Godzilla07 posted:

https://twitter.com/Brett_McMurphy/status/924774386107846656

Jimmy Sexton doesn't wanna anger Florida since he's also Dan Mullen's agent. Also $3MM of that is going to Colorado State ($1.5MM from Florida, $1.5MM from McElwain personally), so McElwain is only seeing about a million bucks.

:lol: holy poo poo he cost himself so much money

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Getting poo poo canned and no buyout money, ain't it cool?

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
The case for Scott Frost:

Prior to his hire UCF had gone 0-12 and was in disarray in the final year of Coach O’Leary’s tenure. In fact it was so bad that O’Leary quit in the middle of the season (WTF!). The football team was successfully sued in court over the death of Erick Plancher, only getting out of a $10 Million award due to the Florida Supreme Court overturning the award. The entire Athletic Department was in shambles due to the booster scandal paying for players on both the men’s basketball and football teams. It was a mess and easily one of the lower tiers of jobs open that year.

UCF lacks the recruiting advantages of FSU or UF or even Miami. AT BEST they’re the fourth and frequently the fifth team in the state in terms of desirability for in state recruits. A 5* athlete won’t state they’re a Knight for life, a coaching staff will have to find the overlooked gems and hit more often then they miss in order to have any kind of success. You can’t even play off down years at any of the big three schools because they recruits are just as likely to go out of state instead of going to the fifth best school in the state. The students are frequently fans of other teams first and UCF second.

This year is an abnormally good year, one that UCF seems like they can hit once or twice a decade. They’re going to sneak in the lower half of the top 25 poll, go to a major bowl and possibly win. The HEIGHT of UCF football was the Fiesta Bowl win over Baylor in 2013, in the final year of the Big East’s automatic bowl bid. They’ve only ver sniffed at the Top 25 a few times, the first in 2010. As a result unless Frost’s dream is to stay in Orlando, and build a legacy there with all the challenges the job brings, he should take a job elsewhere because his star is never going to be higher.

The case against Scott Frost:

He’s been a HC for all of two seasons, while he has his own players playing the core of his team is still O’Leary holdovers. We don’t really know how good his recruits will pan out and if he can sustain continued recruiting success. If you’re not at FSU / UF / UM you’re going to face a ton of challenges. UCF is still a commuter school with fans and the city not behind the school the way Gainesville or Tallahassee are behind those schools. The game day experience is VERY GOOD from absolutely abysmal it was prior to the on campus stadium, but its not like Doak Campbell or Ben Hill Griffin.

In many ways UCF is much like Miami was in the early 80s but any coach will have to be successful in walling off the region from everyone else and that’s not going to happen in 2017. UCF competes in the sixth best conference, and while they’re amongst the best of that conference and easily better then a lower end Big12 school, expansion isn’t going to happen anytime soon and FL realistically will have a hard time fitting 5 Major schools in the state. Do you want to win the American every other year and hope for a NYE Bowl game or whatever, or go 7-5 in a P5 conference and end up at a mid-December Bowl?

UCF can’t compete financially and the facilities budget it pretty much tapped out. The school’s football facilities are easily amongst the best in the nation, but what was best in class in 2015 is going to look ho hum in 2025 and ragged as gently caress in 2035. The school is losing its President in 2018, who knows how the leadership of the next person is going to play out and what they’re going to prioritize. Is athletics going to continue be a focus item for a school with the highest enrollment? One with six decades of STEM focus? One that was almost called University of Florida - Orlando (UFO) with an alien mascot? (Not going to lie, I really want the UFO Aliens 2014 Fiesta Bowl champs) One whose BEST coach was a disgraced Norte Dame castoff accused of lying on his resume?

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

nate fisher posted:

I take it you haven't been following recruiting? Outside of Dooley Tennessee has never had a real issue with recruiting. Yes they have to steal players from states like Georgia, North/South Carolina, and etc. That said going by class rankings Jones should be coaching a top 10 team right now.

This is what I was implying. All the good Tenn players are on the other side of the state, which is closer to the SEC west schools than Knoxville. And then you got Georgia, Florida, etc poaching the eastern side of the state.

e: Tennessee hasn't won poo poo since the 60's outside of a few years when Fulmer was beating up on some down Bama and Georgia teams

Nissin Cup Nudist fucked around with this message at 01:49 on Oct 30, 2017

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

This is what I was implying. All the good Tenn players are on the other side of the state, which is closer to the SEC west schools than Knoxville. And then you got Georgia, Florida, etc poaching the eastern side of the state.

e: Tennessee hasn't won poo poo since the 60's outside of a few years when Fulmer was beating up on some down Bama and Georgia teams

Fulmer also used to recruit Ohio well iirc.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Nebraska is 4-4, having scored a go-ahead TD in West Lafayette with 0:14 to go last night. The rest of the sched:

vs Northwestern
@ Minnesota
@ Penn State
vs Iowa

poo poo, we could finish 7-5 or 4-8 (though if we were somehow to win in State College, retain Riley, gently caress a Nittany). Not knowing how Bill Moos thinks, I'll venture a guess that not getting outright embarrassed at Penn State and winning the other three could buy Riley another year, but I sure as hell wouldn't bet on it.

And if Riley goes, Plan A's going to be "Give Frost whatever he wants." No bloody idea what Plan B is.

• Locked thread