Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My [33F] sister [27F] is a height snob. I don't know how to talk to her about it (self.relationship_advice)

quote:

She's one of those women who will only date men who are over 6'. She is 3'6". That's not a typo, she's a little person, a dwarf. A guy who is 5'6" recently messaged her on a dating site said he wasn't comfortable dating someone her height. She said to me that he has no room to say that.

She already has a limited dating pool and she's narrowing it further. I get that people have preferences, but it's usually things like no smokers, drug users or Republicans.

It bothers me so much that she's like this. Should I say something or keep quiet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
What the hell

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

maskenfreiheit posted:

My [33F] sister [27F] is a height snob. I don't know how to talk to her about it (self.relationship_advice)

what the gently caress

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

maskenfreiheit posted:

Keep quiet, OP.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
lol this is what a 6 foot man looks like next to a 3' 6" woman:

like, how would that even work

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hellsau posted:

I've known at least a pair or two like that. I guess they must have made it work somehow. I did not inquire.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Also, if the genders were reversed and this guy was jerking off in the tent with a woman, would the thread be full of people mocking her for "not realizing" he's into her?

yes, a guy masturbating unsolicitedly in the same room as a girl is the same as vice versa

you probably believe in reverse racism too

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

maskenfreiheit posted:

lol

As a dude over the mythical height limit I always treated people having it in their profile the same way I'd imagine girls would see "only message me if you're DD". It's okay to have preferences but just putting it out there like that always came across as gross to me. Like it speaks to some p large personality flaws.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heliogabalos posted:

yes, a guy masturbating unsolicitedly in the same room as a girl is the same as vice versa

No, there's just racism, just like there's just sexual harassment and assault. Nothing "reverse" about it.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Heliogabalos posted:

it would be p gross if the story didn't revolve around the narrator being attracted to them. With no context it's gross but with context it's just funny. Obviously the hypothetical lady in the story didn't know the same thing the readers do so it's still p questionable, but the humor really centers around it all taken together. No reason to get in a "b-b-b-but what about" debate instead of just enjoying the comedy as is.

13Pandora13
Nov 5, 2008

I've got tiiits that swingle dangle dingle

Hellsau posted:

Yeah I don't see any reason at all why a guy would go for that.

Your sister really likes sucking dick, OP. Better to not press for details on this one.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
My Fellow Teachers Upset I don't Do Any Unpaid Work[new]

quote:

I [23F] am having some issues with [three] fellow teachers of mine, ages [24 to 45F]. I was hoping you guys would have some perspective on what to do.

About me:

I am minimalist with my spending and try to save money. I plan to buy a home in the next five years and need a new car. I have good savings for my age and I am two years from paying off my student loans. I have been teaching for three years now, two at this School.

My view of teaching: I am paid to teach. It is not my job to use my income to subsidize the school. I have a limit of $300/year that I will spend on my classroom and I have stuck to that.

EDIT Some stuff got cut out when I edited.

I use what is given to me by the school, find free online things to print out, and follow the curriculum as well as I can.

A lot of teachers buy wooden birdhouses for each of their 30 students to decorate, will bake huge cakes, or buy nice presents for each child during the holidays. They decorate their rooms completely and take pride in winning the "room decoration context." This past week a teacher spent $200 on pumpkins for her students to paint.

I had my students make paper jack-o-lantern to take home. One of the teachers asked if I was getting pumpkins for next week, and I said no. I didn't intend to buy holiday themed stuff for the kids to decorate, as it gets expensive.

I love kids, I am a drat good teacher, I come to school with a smile on my face. But I work within my means, I don't overspend. I don't think I need to spend $1000s on supplies. The school gives us what they can afford and you work within the system.

Edited back in: I get stuff from the supply closets, but if something isn't there I don't do certain activities with the kids. I also don't spend money on decorations, but let the kids' artwork be most of the classroom decoration. Sorry, that got cut out, I think that was all that was missing. I also added in about the pumpkin because it felt like a more concrete example.

Some of the teachers also bake cakes and put a lot of their own personal time into things that I feel cross the line.

I also think teachers refusing to pay for things like that would make schools realize they need to plan better. We have a huge sports program at our school and it usually eats a lot of the funding. While I feel that exercise is important, it doesn't mean I have to spend my paycheck to make up the lack of funding in other ways.

Sports should come second to educational stuff.

That being said, it has caused issues with three teachers in the school. They have said I am not a team player, that I don't give enough to the school, and that I am not trying as hard as them.

I have nicely explained my views and said it's not personal, I am doing a job, I love the work, but its work. It's not my lifelong mission to sacrifice everything, end up 50 with no hope of retirement in the future, and not experience life. I have plans, and work is not my life.

This didn't go over the way I thought it would. I guess I just wonder what I need to do. I don't intend to spend any more than $300/year on my job. I don't intend to volunteer to do things for free. I don't intend to donate my hard earned money to causes for children that are not my own, just because they are kids. I am there to educate kids, past that anything else is up to the parents.

What do I do?

TL;DR fellow teachers seem to think I need to give more money to the cause or free time.

quote:

What stuff do they want you to do that you wouldn't be getting paid for?

quote:

*) Saturday tutoring [unpaid]
*) Staying up to two hours after class to offer to tutor to students [unpaid]
*) Donating to in-school fundraisers [sports programs, girlscouts] which ends up being thousands out of their pockets
*)Using my own personal vehicle to run errands for the school
*)Coming before my day starts to open my classroom to the early students [6 am] and stay after to watch kids for parents who work late [until 8 PM sometimes.]
*)To lead a club or activity twice a week

I have contracted hours of 7:30 am to 4 PM. I arrive on time, have everything ready to go, and work until about 4:15 to get everything sorted for the next day. Class starts at 8 am and ends at 3:30 PM, with us staying for parent meetings until 4 PM.

I get time off for lunch, but that is about it. I don't want to run a club. I don't have interest in coming in on Saturdays to tutor. I have no interest in running a summer school class or being a tutor. I just want to work my hours, get paid, and come home.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
She's correct. She ain't paid enough for that.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

She's correct. She ain't paid enough for that.

I agree... with Pick... :kheldragar:

Virigoth
Apr 28, 2009

Corona rules everything around me
C.R.E.A.M. get the virus
In the ICU y'all......

Sometimes I think teachers forget it is a job and not a spiritual calling.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Virigoth posted:

Then they'd really have to wonder why they're doing this poo poo for how they're paid and treated.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Virigoth posted:

the ones who know it's a job leave within three

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

No there isn’t

Why wouldn’t you report the former to the cops

American cops?
Because i don't want to die?

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

The teacher is absolutely correct and the culture that their peers have bought into is a major problem with that profession and American labor in general.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

maskenfreiheit posted:

My Fellow Teachers Upset I don't Do Any Unpaid Work[new]

[/quote]
They're mad at her because they have no money saved.

THAT SAID: Schools should pay teachers more, especially to do stuff like tutor students, etc.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004
american teachers are dumb as rocks and paid exactly as much as someone with their level of collective iq deserve

news flash: countries that pay their teachers better wages also have higher standards

(i may be biased because students from the school of education used to loudly piss and gently caress in the alley behind my apartment in grad school)

Bamabalacha
Sep 18, 2006

Outta my way, ya dumb rah-rah!
My mom is 4’11” and my dad 6’1” and they still, in their mid-60s, get jokes about loving with the size difference alllllll the time. I can’t imagine what would happen with a tall dude and a full on little person.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017
you can still key in codes for the cheapest of item (for example, celery instead of organic whatever) and no one pays any attention and it saves me a fuckton of money on organic produce

ArbitraryC posted:

it would be p gross if the story didn't revolve around the narrator being attracted to them. With no context it's gross but with context it's just funny. Obviously the hypothetical lady in the story didn't know the same thing the readers do so it's still p questionable, but the humor really centers around it all taken together. No reason to get in a "b-b-b-but what about" debate instead of just enjoying the comedy as is.

it's a weird come-on, to be clear I am saying a male doing this to a female is abusive/aggressive and intimidating, and police would probably come if called. The reverse isn't threatening unless she were asked to stop and wouldn't. It's a bit bizarre, but if she's even mildly attractive no sensible unattached or even attached male in his right mind wouldn't at least say, "having fun?" or something to figure out if it's an invitation. For someone to imply that it's just as threatening for a woman to do this to a male...that's utterly unaware of thousands of years of patriarchy and rape culture.

I say this as a male who once woke up to a woman freely and non-consensually bouncing on my cock once, after buying me drinks all night, and I'd made it clear I wasn't attracted to her in that way.

Tender Bender
Sep 17, 2004

I'm 6'7 and my ex was 5 even. Not a little person but a big disparity that people for some reason felt it was totally appropriate to joke about in any setting. The answer is that normal loving works just fine and you can do a lot of fun positions too.

PetraCore
Jul 20, 2017

👁️🔥👁️👁️👁️BE NOT👄AFRAID👁️👁️👁️🔥👁️

Bamabalacha posted:

My mom is 4’11” and my dad 6’1” and they still, in their mid-60s, get jokes about loving with the size difference alllllll the time. I can’t imagine what would happen with a tall dude and a full on little person.
Maybe the sister's fetish is size difference. Maybe she's actually the luckiest woman on earth.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heliogabalos posted:

it's a weird come-on, to be clear I am saying a male doing this to a female is abusive/aggressive and intimidating, and police would probably come if called. The reverse isn't threatening unless she were asked to stop and wouldn't. It's a bit bizarre, but if she's even mildly attractive no sensible unattached or even attached male in his right mind wouldn't at least say, "having fun?" or something to figure out if it's an invitation. For someone to imply that it's just as threatening for a woman to do this to a male...that's utterly unaware of thousands of years of patriarchy and rape culture.

I say this as a male who once woke up to a woman freely and non-consensually bouncing on my cock once, after buying me drinks all night, and I'd made it clear I wasn't attracted to her in that way.

I don't think you speak for every male when you say you're fine with being sexually harassed and assaulted by women. You sure as hell aren't speaking for me. I'm sorry that you feel that you need to atone for thousands of years of patriarchy and rape culture in this way, but that's your prerogative.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Heliogabalos posted:

Are you trying to tell us that you were no-joke raped but it's ok because a woman did it?

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Bamabalacha posted:

It's really weird and messed up to joke about that openly. The answer by the way is it works fine.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I don't think you speak for every male when you say you're fine with being sexually harassed and assaulted by women. You sure as hell aren't speaking for me. I'm sorry that you feel that you need to atone for thousands of years of patriarchy and rape culture in this way, but that's your prerogative.

easy, you're reading way too much into what I'm saying and you sound really MRA. I'm not atoning, I just didn't and don't really care. Maybe she was acting out against a prior rape. I forgive her, and I ended the friendship. Anyway, sexism is one way, just like racism. Just like racism was invented by white people, sexism was invented by men, so women "doing the same thing" aren't actually doing that. A group of women wolf whistling a man - as if that ever happens - is not the same, because history, and thousands of years of socio-culturally normatized predatory male to female violent behaviour?

Just loving LOL at men who live in a moral vacuum and think that the world and precedence began the day they were born

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Heliogabalos posted:

easy, you're reading way too much into what I'm saying and you sound really MRA.

Look through his post history; he's an MRA. Don't sweat it.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

Heliogabalos posted:

I'm really sorry that happened to you.

I want to be sure I understand you. You are saying that even with your experience and the weight of historical patriarchy, you still wouldn't find a woman masturbating towards a non-consenting man as intimidating as a man masturbating towards a non-consenting woman. Please correct if I'm mistaken.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Heliogabalos posted:

easy, you're reading way too much into what I'm saying and you sound really MRA. I'm not atoning, I just didn't and don't really care. Maybe she was acting out against a prior rape. I forgive her, and I ended the friendship. Anyway, sexism is one way, just like racism. Just like racism was invented by white people, sexism was invented by men, so women "doing the same thing" aren't actually doing that. A group of women wolf whistling a man - as if that ever happens - is not the same, because history, and thousands of years of socio-culturally normatized predatory male to female violent behaviour?

Just loving LOL at men who live in a moral vacuum and think that the world and precedence began the day they were born

Fine, you're a magical male who doesn't care about being sexually assaulted. Any man who's ever been a victim of sexual assault is an rear end in a top hat MRA. I get it. gently caress off.

Pick posted:

Look through his post history; he's an MRA. Don't sweat it.

Seriously?! gently caress you, you stalkery piece of poo poo.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Bamabalacha posted:

I'm 6'1 and I don't get the big deal. Unless you only try to have sex with both people standing, it's pretty much the same whether the woman is 6'2 or 5'0.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Looking through someone's post history isn't stalking.

LadyPictureShow
Nov 18, 2005

Success!

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Then they'd really have to wonder why they're doing this poo poo for how they're paid and treated.

My parents were both teachers. I asked them why they decided to pursue that field when I was younger.

Mother: I wanted to be a teacher ever since I was a child.

Father: My dad told me I should go into it; I'd get weekends and summers off.

Of course, everyone always asked 'are you going to be a teacher like your mom and dad when you grow up?' The answer was always a resounding 'oh God no'. But they entered the field when the health insurance plan was Goddamn Cadillac, and they had a good pension system in place. I hear it's even rougher for teachers entering more recently (wage freezes, shittier benefits, expecting them to do unpaid 'after hours'/weekend work).

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
Among other things, don't loving let your brain fall out in the rush to defend false notions. Your average man can wipe the floor with all but the strongest women, and that sucks, but it's a god damned fact. A man is, in and of himself, a threat in a way a woman just isn't. We're not as strong as men, full stop.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

Among other things, don't loving let your brain fall out in the rush to defend false notions. Your average man can wipe the floor with all but the strongest women, and that sucks, but it's a god damned fact. A man is, in and of himself, a threat in a way a woman just isn't. We're not as strong as men, full stop.

gently caress you.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Absurd Alhazred posted:

gently caress you.

What, you...actually think that's not true?

The stats don't lie, only MRAs lie about the stats that men have a disproportionate ability and inclination to exact sexual violence against the other sex.

Heliogabalos
Apr 16, 2017

WrenP-Complete posted:

I'm really sorry that happened to you.

I want to be sure I understand you. You are saying that even with your experience and the weight of historical patriarchy, you still wouldn't find a woman masturbating towards a non-consenting man as intimidating as a man masturbating towards a non-consenting woman. Please correct if I'm mistaken.

Thanks, honestly I just feel bad for her.

yes, I would not, because men are socially conditioned to not consider consent (regardless of self or other), and men are also conditioned to be aggressive, assumptive and even violent in regards to sex. That's aside from the relatively normalized physiological differences.

A woman doing this to a man is working in a fairly safe context of assumptions and implications, any male who's not okay with this can just leave the room. I mean, there are so many variables. Would a woman feel safe leaving a situation like this, if the guy were big and strong and nearby? Anyway, it's kind of a dull tangent and I don't want to derail, so if it causes any more vitriol, I'll leave it alone.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Pick posted:

What, you...actually think that's not true?

The stats don't lie, only MRAs lie about the stats that men have a disproportionate ability and inclination to exact sexual violence against the other sex.

Where did I lie about stats you piece of poo poo? You loving disgusting pile of posting manure? gently caress you.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)