Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

PMush Perfect posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wgylfF_Y8oY

Seriously, look at this and tell me it's not perfect.

You're not wrong, but so is Tallgeese.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

chumbler posted:

We all agree that the Tallgeese is the best unique mobile suit and the Leo is the best grunt.

Look at this guy, wrote "Leo" when he meant "GM Command"!

What a typo!

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
And the Tallgeese isn't even the best Tallgeese.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I've got a lot of love for the Crossbone Vanguard and Zanscare mooks.

It's the eyes.

Edit: Favorite Gundam is probably the 𝜈.

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 30, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsieurChoc posted:

I've got a lot of love for the Crossbone Vanguard and Zanscare mooks.

It's the eyes.

Edit: Favorite Gundam is probably the 𝜈.

Eh, it's just for show.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

NikkolasKing posted:

But that "idealized" zealot is what makes Gato likable to many. A Gundam MC is characterized first and foremost by doubt, uncertainty, angst... That's good because these are typically child soldiers and if they didn't have some level of trauma, it be a problem. But here comes Anavel Gato, a man with no reservations, no doubts, no hesitation. He has a purpose and he's willing to sacrifice almost anything for it. It's a very alluring image, even if the person and their purpose is repugnant. Even Tomino wasn't adverse o romanticizing this, look at Garma and Dozle's deaths.

Garma and Dozle were absolutely humanized in a variety of ways, and neither had to be so via consideration of their actions in genocide because neither committed it on screen. I can see your point however, and do think it makes sense to have the main antagonist be much more firm and resolute in some stories than the protagonist. That said, even if you weren't going to have Gato humanized in that manner I do think someone needs to be and that the only other real option in the show as presented is Delaz. Who is practically a clone of Gato in many ways anyway, and making both of them be completely firm in their convictions is rather redundant. Plus, if part of the tragedy of 0083 was that when Delaz dies, so does his outlook and any possibility of preventing Gato for going full genocide, and Gato does what he thinks Delaz wants with no questioning of it then I think it makes a stronger story really.

StrixNebulosa posted:

He's autistic and really, really bad at managing his emotions. It feels realistic to me, especially because he's a teenager.

Kamille is possibly the least autistic character in Gundam. He has a tonne of different hobbies (mini mobile suits, martial arts, hang gliding, engineering), is very empathic and while he's only shown with one friend within the first episode when in a more natural setting, he quickly makes several friends on the Argama and gets on with the kids there fine. There is nothing autistic about Kamille.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Like, I watched the first few episodes of Xabungle and the best character is this spoiled rich girl named Carrying. She has a stated goal of making culture bloom on their lovely cowboy planet. But almost none of her actions further that goal, and are often contradictory.

The subs I watched had her called Elchi, is that just a bad sub job then and it should be Carrying? That seems like a really odd name, but it is Tomino. Regardless, one of my favorite things about Elchi/Carrying is that after her father is killed the main character offers to get revenge for her and after consideration she decides she doesn't actually want revenge and instead wants to do other things. She might not have been the most committed to her stated goals, but she was when it counted.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
All this mention of good grunt-suits and nothing about the Space Jahannam?

Look at this motherfucker. Look at how angry his crotch is.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

The subs I watched had her called Elchi, is that just a bad sub job then and it should be Carrying? That seems like a really odd name, but it is Tomino. Regardless, one of my favorite things about Elchi/Carrying is that after her father is killed the main character offers to get revenge for her and after consideration she decides she doesn't actually want revenge and instead wants to do other things. She might not have been the most committed to her stated goals, but she was when it counted.

Her full name is Elchi Carrying

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

Those are also some strong grunts, because they are evocative of the Leo. I do like that the Reco grunts are beefy.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

tsob posted:

Garma and Dozle were absolutely humanized in a variety of ways, and neither had to be so via consideration of their actions in genocide because neither committed it on screen. I can see your point however, and do think it makes sense to have the main antagonist be much more firm and resolute in some stories than the protagonist. That said, even if you weren't going to have Gato humanized in that manner I do think someone needs to be and that the only other real option in the show as presented is Delaz. Who is practically a clone of Gato in many ways anyway, and making both of them be completely firm in their convictions is rather redundant. Plus, if part of the tragedy of 0083 was that when Delaz dies, so does his outlook and any possibility of preventing Gato for going full genocide, and Gato does what he thinks Delaz wants with no questioning of it then I think it makes a stronger story really.

Garma and Dozle were also heavily against the Genocide stuff.

Also going back to the Titans and motivations. The only ones there who were really just plain evil were Bask Om and Yazan.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Darth Walrus posted:

Jealous of the Leo's crotch hole.

The only thing that would make the Leo better is if it had some beefier calves.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

StrixNebulosa posted:

I'd also say that the interest in mecha is waning, too - instead of getting five thousand mecha shows in a year and multiple mecha franchises, we're getting moe instead. :shrug:

No "is" about it; that ship sailed a good quarter-century ago. That's why Bandai is so desperate to attract younger fans to Gundam, and why the more or less continued failure of those efforts is something of a ticking time bomb for the franchise as a whole. In another 25 years, a lot of the current fandom is going to be flat-out loving dead. What then?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

ImpAtom posted:

Eh, it's just for show.

You're right, the Hi-𝜈 is where it's at.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XcYQFDn_yI

Darth Walrus posted:

The name of Gym Jahannam truly did live on.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Bimmi posted:

No "is" about it; that ship sailed a good quarter-century ago. That's why Bandai is so desperate to attract younger fans to Gundam, and why the more or less continued failure of those efforts is something of a ticking time bomb for the franchise as a whole. In another 25 years, a lot of the current fandom is going to be flat-out loving dead. What then?

TBF that's true of a whole lot of the anime industry right now. That's why companies are going so hard on the moe fetish garbage and merchandise.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
What are Japanese kids watching these days, anyway? It certainly ain't Gundam.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Bimmi posted:

Kids? in Japan?

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

MonsterEnvy posted:

Garma and Dozle were also heavily against the Genocide stuff.

Were they? Where was that detailed?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

ImpAtom posted:

Kids? in Japan?

Too real. :negative:

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Oof. Got me there.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
One Piece and My Hero Academia

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Pureauthor posted:

One Piece and My Hero Academia

Wet Naruto and Green Naruto

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Also, Son of Naruto.

And spiky-haired Naruto.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Also, Son of Naruto.

And spiky-haired Naruto.

Oh, you mean Pirate Ninja Goku, Son of Boruto's father Ninja Goku, King Explosion Murder's childhood pest Ninja Goku, and Space Monkey spiky ninja Goku?

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Also I'd expect DBSuper is really popular too but I haven't actually seen numbers for that one.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It is, or at least was, tied with One Piece in ratings.

Edit: Looks like a few months ago, it actually even beat OP.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Guy Goodbody posted:

What makes Tomino so good at writing memorable characters is that he understands the people always have a motivation, but that motivation isn't always consistent and certainly isn't always logical. Like, I watched the first few episodes of Xabungle and the best character is this spoiled rich girl named Carrying. She has a stated goal of making culture bloom on their lovely cowboy planet. But almost none of her actions further that goal, and are often contradictory. She'll free the main character from prison, let him steal the Xabungle, then chase him to get it back, the offer him a job, then let him almost die in an ambush, it's all over the place. It would be really easy to just write Carrying off as an incomprehensible, terrible character. But everything she does makes sense if you consider her actual motivations. Which are, in order, be entertained, express her independence to her father, gain approval from her father, annoy the robot pilot who wants to marry her. Everything she does makes sense if you think about what she actually wants in any given scene.

This is a good post. I'm sad of it when Tomino characters take actions that are written off as "not making sense", as there's usually some method to the madness going on!

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

Just going back a bit, but IBO did get pretty solid TV ratings, if the data I'm able to look at is accurate. (Admitting up front, that's a pretty open question, but... I work with what I got.)

4.07% for the last quarter, better than any other seasonal non-children's anime in competition with it(by a comfortable margin), and about on par with G Gundam. Almost certainly a lower raw viewercount (again, limited data, I am not an expert, etc), but not bad. Probably included a decent amount of younger viewers, too, from the parental complaints and the timeslot.

All in all, from what I can see, it seems like it did about what was expected. Not a smash like SEED or Zeta, but not an AGE or X style disappointment.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also going back to the Titans and motivations. The only ones there who were really just plain evil were Bask Om and Yazan.

Gonna add spoiler tags for the dude watching Zeta for the first time.

Jamitov, the leader and mastermind of every evil thing the Titans do until he's betrayed and killed by an even bigger bastard than he is? Scirocco, the aforementioned bastard who betrays, backstabs, and manipulates his way to the top to fulfill a dream of ruling the world? Literally all of the guys who participated in the colony gassing? The Murasame and Augusta lab people, who cut open the brains of children and teenagers in order to create human weapons controlled by drugs and mental conditioning? Ben Wooder, the man who shoots one of these brainwashed child soldiers when she resists her conditioning and refuses to operate as an obedient puppet? The list goes on.

There is a significant effort in Mobile Suit Gundam to portray Zeon as an evil organization that contains a lot of relatively good people. This effort is almost completely absent from Zeta, with the Titans being so evil that it almost approaches parody.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

yea the titans are pretty much uniformly awful. emma's the only counter example I can think of and she left because the rest of the titans were such massive assholes

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

Has anything been announced about any upcoming Gundam series? I know Thunderbolt is the ongoing one at the moment, but is there a TV series currently in development?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea the titans are pretty much uniformly awful. emma's the only counter example I can think of and she left because the rest of the titans were such massive assholes

There's Jerid too. He isn't essentially evil or even that bad of a person all things considered unless I'm forgetting something. He starts out as a jerk who likes fighting and then the rest of his arc is just his quest for revenge. It's kinda funny that in a way he's the exact opposite of 0079 Amuro who didn't want to fight and only kept fighting to save his friends.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Kanos posted:

Gonna add spoiler tags for the dude watching Zeta for the first time.

Jamitov, the leader and mastermind of every evil thing the Titans do until he's betrayed and killed by an even bigger bastard than he is? Scirocco, the aforementioned bastard who betrays, backstabs, and manipulates his way to the top to fulfill a dream of ruling the world? Literally all of the guys who participated in the colony gassing? The Murasame and Augusta lab people, who cut open the brains of children and teenagers in order to create human weapons controlled by drugs and mental conditioning? Ben Wooder, the man who shoots one of these brainwashed child soldiers when she resists her conditioning and refuses to operate as an obedient puppet? The list goes on.

There is a significant effort in Mobile Suit Gundam to portray Zeon as an evil organization that contains a lot of relatively good people. This effort is almost completely absent from Zeta, with the Titans being so evil that it almost approaches parody.

Jamitov is interesting. He reveals slightly before Dakar Day that he’s an apparently sincere Deikunist working to undermine the Federation from the inside so that humanity will move to space and become Newtypes, and the Titans are implicitly a giant honeypot for the worst of the Federation. It’s why Jerid grumbles during Char’s speech that both sides want the exact same thing.

And then his pet Newtype murders him because he’d figured out a way to use the powers Jamitov wanted to foster to turn the plan into a bid for world domination.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

RillAkBea posted:

There's Jerid too. He isn't essentially evil or even that bad of a person all things considered unless I'm forgetting something. He starts out as a jerk who likes fighting and then the rest of his arc is just his quest for revenge. It's kinda funny that in a way he's the exact opposite of 0079 Amuro who didn't want to fight and only kept fighting to save his friends.

Jerid isn't evil in the same way that other Titans dudes are, but he's still pretty bad. He's a petty bully with a huge ego who is interested primarily in personal advancement. The defining moment of Jerid being pretty much over the line is his initial horror at killing Kamille's mom. While it speaks well of him that he's shocked at this and tries to apologize to Kamille for it, instead of pulling an Emma and protesting this heinous cartoon villain poo poo by peacing out, he just keeps on following orders after the fact. He was lied to by his superiors and manipulated into murdering a completely defenseless woman in one of the most unimaginably horrible ways possible in front of her son, but he just goes "well, poo poo" and keeps on keepin on.

Everything after that is just a long journey down Sunk Cost Fallacy Road. One of his last thoughts is "man if only Kamille hadn't gotten in my way I would have been a high roller", for god's sake.

Darth Walrus posted:

Jamitov is interesting. He reveals slightly before Dakar Day that he’s an apparently sincere Deikunist working to undermine the Federation from the inside so that humanity will move to space and become Newtypes, and the Titans are implicitly a giant honeypot for the worst of the Federation. It’s why Jerid grumbles during Char’s speech that both sides want the exact same thing.

And then his pet Newtype murders him because he’d figured out a way to use the powers Jamitov wanted to foster to turn the plan into a bid for world domination.

Oh, definitely; he's a really interesting character when you get down into the nitty gritty about why he's doing what he's doing. However, regardless of his motives, his actions and the actions of those under his command make him a horrible, evil nightmare of a man. It's sort of like how Char had good intentions in CCA and was trying to realize those intentions by murdering most of humanity with a rock.

Kanos fucked around with this message at 13:53 on Oct 30, 2017

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I can't think of anything jerid does that doesn't paint him as at least kind of an rear end in a top hat. he's a petty bully, tho that does pale compared to other members of the titans

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I feel bad for Jerid because he's a petty rear end in a top hat of a bully who's basically fallen in with a party of puppy eaters. Like, if he had been in a different setting - a highschool, perhaps - a kinder writer could have had him run into a teacher or coach who helped him become a good person and a decent jock. Instead, his character growth is bully learns to be a mildly flirtatious bully who immediately gets stuck in the grief/revenge spiral.

Ah well. I like watching him.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Kanos posted:

Jerid isn't evil in the same way that other Titans dudes are, but he's still pretty bad. He's a petty bully with a huge ego who is interested primarily in personal advancement. The defining moment of Jerid being pretty much over the line is his initial horror at killing Kamille's mom. While it speaks well of him that he's shocked at this and tries to apologize to Kamille for it, instead of pulling an Emma and protesting this heinous cartoon villain poo poo by peacing out, he just keeps on following orders after the fact. He was lied to by his superiors and manipulated into murdering a completely defenseless woman in one of the most unimaginably horrible ways possible in front of her son, but he just goes "well, poo poo" and keeps on keepin on.

Everything after that is just a long journey down Sunk Cost Fallacy Road. One of his last thoughts is "man if only Kamille hadn't gotten in my way I would have been a high roller", for god's sake.

While all undoubtedly true, I still can't help but feel that...

StrixNebulosa posted:

I feel bad for Jerid because he's a petty rear end in a top hat of a bully who's basically fallen in with a party of puppy eaters. Like, if he had been in a different setting - a highschool, perhaps - a kinder writer could have had him run into a teacher or coach who helped him become a good person and a decent jock. Instead, his character growth is bully learns to be a mildly flirtatious bully who immediately gets stuck in the grief/revenge spiral.

Yah, basically that.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

StrixNebulosa posted:

Good post. Defining Jerid moment for me is when he shows up hobbling around angrily with a cane. He's just full blown Ahab at that point and his white whale is a 17 year old.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

tsob posted:

Kamille is possibly the least autistic character in Gundam. He has a tonne of different hobbies (mini mobile suits, martial arts, hang gliding, engineering), is very empathic and while he's only shown with one friend within the first episode when in a more natural setting, he quickly makes several friends on the Argama and gets on with the kids there fine. There is nothing autistic about Kamille.

I don't agree. Being autistic doesn't preclude you from diverse interests, Kamille is repeatedly shown to not be very empathic at all outside of his psychic powers, and he out and out says he's autistic. (Unless the subs are wrong, which they could be!)

As for being shown with a friend, Fa isn't a friend, she's someone who has glued herself to Kamille for some reason. He clearly doesn't feel comfortable about her, she nags him for most of the episode, and when she returns, he's less "hi!" and more "oh you're alive!" - and then he doesn't comfort her, he sits there stewing with rage against the Titans instead of noticing her distress and comforting her.

I need to see more of it before I can judge him making friends with anyone on the Argama or the kids, though - but from what I've seen of him, I think he's autistic - and I think that helps fill out his motivations and helps me understand why he does things the way he does.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I know we've moved on from this, but it's been bugging me so I'm just gonna lay it out. Here are the official Tallgeese rankings.

Tallgeese II > Tallgeese Valkyrie > Tallgeese > Tallgeese III > Tallgeese Flugel

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Tallgeese I and its goofy Roman Helmet are the best actually.