Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Nothing in Mummy was balanced, not even the balance morality scheme.

"Transmedia" should be a red flag for anything involving RPG's. I think it's up there with the x decades of play personal campaign setting pitches in terms of how far their head is up their rear end.

Waffleman_ posted:

We're not leaning on brand recognition! *Only makes games using the old World of Darkness games that everyone knows and not the current Chronicles of Darkness games that they're trying to sell right now*

They don't actually get any money outside of licensing for those to my knowledge. I could be wrong but last I heard Onyx Path is still just licensing everything outside of Scion and maybe Exalted.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

They don't actually get any money outside of licensing for those to my knowledge. I could be wrong but last I heard Onyx Path is still just licensing everything outside of Scion and maybe Exalted.

Onyx Path owns Scion and Trinity Continuum outright. Exalted, nWoD, and oWoD stuff they've done is licensed.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I think the main factor is that the current head of WW doesn't give a poo poo about CofD because he is exactly the 90s goth that the oWoD thrived on.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
Yeah, Paradox gives zero shits about NWoD and is probably happy to just cash the licensing checks as an added bonus on top of getting to own the OWoD.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
The recent System Mastery review of Werewolf just reminded me of how immensely dated it feels. Yes, environmental issues are "topical", but how we think about that kind of thing has changed immensely in the last 20 years, and Werewolf's take on it was pretty embarrassing to begin with, between the Whitest Shamans U Know and broad ethnic stereotypes called, with zero irony, "tribes".

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

$200 a day, plus expenses

rumble in the bunghole posted:

I think people recognise and like old vampire more but does anyone like the other old lines more than the new? Hunters being normalish humans rather than Proto-exalted guys with some magic benefactor, Changelings as survivors of evil fae realms instead of weird hippies, poo poo like that seems way stronger. Maybe Old Mage is more popular, but either line is impossible to gamify properly.

Lots of people like old Mage and Werewolf more than new, and if it counts Wraith has tons more fans than Geist. No one outside of hardcore oWoD partisans likes old Changeling or Hunter more than the new versions though. They certainly exist, however. I also know some people who like them, but acknowledge that the CofD games are better.

Pope Guilty posted:

Yeah, Paradox gives zero shits about NWoD and is probably happy to just cash the licensing checks as an added bonus on top of getting to own the OWoD.

I question how much it was just Paradox wanting to own VtM and to a lesser degree WtA and MtA for video games? Seems like they view allowing Ericsson to stink up his own fiefdom as a loss leader

Lightning Lord fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Oct 30, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Old Werewolf was loving awesome jesus christ

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

Alien Rope Burn posted:

The recent System Mastery review of Werewolf just reminded me of how immensely dated it feels. Yes, environmental issues are "topical", but how we think about that kind of thing has changed immensely in the last 20 years,and Werewolf's take on it was pretty embarrassing to begin with, between the Whitest Shamans U Know and broad ethnic stereotypes called, with zero irony, "tribes".

If anything, Pentex was not evil enough.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Don't take a Child of Gaia kinfolk's name in vain.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
What is New Werewolf, anyway? Being part of a bunch of gangbangers?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
reading other board game forums is a real trip since it's a reminder how people view rule fixes and house rules as good things rather than bandaids on bad game design (or worse, attempts to fix something that wasn't broken due to user error/ignorance). it's so weird.

RocknRollaAyatollah
Nov 26, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Zoro posted:

Yeah, Forsaken is about gang warfare and life on the streets.

People like Apocalypse because it's supposed to go the route every other White Wolf game goes that it's not supposed to, horror X-Men. It also has a lot of mechanics for building competent combat teams and min maxing characters.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Zoro posted:

Being wardens of the spiritual world, mostly. The environmental / anti-corporate angle is largely gone, with the big threat being the majority group of NPC werewolves who have decided to serve spirits instead of police them.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
NWoD is garbage and OWoD is the one people who play video games want.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I'd play oWoD, but I've never owned a Hot Topic gift card so I think I'm woefully under-qualified.

Lightning Lord
Feb 21, 2013

mango sentinel posted:

Hot take from 2004

Waffleman_ posted:

I'd play oWoD, but I've never owned a Hot Topic gift card so I think I'm woefully under-qualified.

On the other hand, hot take from like 2015

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Countblanc posted:

reading other board game forums is a real trip since it's a reminder how people view rule fixes and house rules as good things rather than bandaids on bad game design (or worse, attempts to fix something that wasn't broken due to user error/ignorance). it's so weird.

The Gaming Den is sorta the only one that tries to have a somewhat critical look at RPGs, but the community is so tied up in "fixing" 3.5/d20 some 17 years later and Frank Trollman's weird interpretation of PBTA that they never talk about anything interesting

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Lightning Lord posted:

Hot take from 2004

On the other hand, hot take from like 2015

They are both correct

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

It's fine if you like your grandpa games, just try to cool down that elder ahroun rage.

That Old Tree
Jun 24, 2012

nah

Both game lines are Fine™, and also kind of Garbage™, but each in different ways.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

RocknRollaAyatollah posted:

Yeah, Forsaken is about gang warfare and life on the streets.

People like Apocalypse because it's supposed to go the route every other White Wolf game goes that it's not supposed to, horror X-Men. It also has a lot of mechanics for building competent combat teams and min maxing characters.

Holy poo poo, you finally made me realize why I had a love/hate relationship with Apocalpyse! It's horror X-Men. I'm an X-men junkie! No wonder I liked its lore from afar!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Being wardens of the spiritual world, mostly. The environmental / anti-corporate angle is largely gone, with the big threat being the majority group of NPC werewolves who have decided to serve spirits instead of police them.

Anyway, so it's a mix of gang warfare, streetlife done in the metaphor of "protecting your street spiritual world." Gotcha. I can see that taking off, but it probably suffers from the "too different from the original" problem.

Waffleman_ posted:

I've only ever played WoD once and I felt the sting from that. God drat.

Anyway, how was the Timewatch RPG? poo poo or good?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Gaming Den is sorta the only one that tries to have a somewhat critical look at RPGs, but the community is so tied up in "fixing" 3.5/d20 some 17 years later and Frank Trollman's weird interpretation of PBTA that they never talk about anything interesting

How the gently caress is that place still going?

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
people really loving love 3.5e

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Evil Mastermind posted:

How the gently caress is that place still going?

Frank Trollman comes from a school of design where rules "protect" from a bad GM so you need a lot of rules defining everything to weaken a GM. Mix this with a narcissist belief in "one true way" and you got a recipe for NEVER getting PBTA.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Wraith justifies the oWoD's existence even if everything else is of questionable value at best

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wraith justifies the oWoD's existence even if everything else is of questionable value at best

I like a whole lot about old Demon too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Zoro posted:

Anyway, so it's a mix of gang warfare, streetlife done in the metaphor of "protecting your street spiritual world." Gotcha. I can see that taking off, but it probably suffers from the "too different from the original" problem.

The fact that the main bad guys are far more analogous to Apocalypse werewolves than the PC werewolves tend to be was probably not the most subtle of statements.

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Wraith is a beautiful game that has very little concept of how it's actually supposed to be played.

But that's kind of a problem with a lot of great '90s games, like Unknown Armies.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zoro posted:

Frank Trollman comes from a school of design where rules "protect" from a bad GM so you need a lot of rules defining everything to weaken a GM. Mix this with a narcissist belief in "one true way" and you got a recipe for NEVER getting PBTA.

Believe me, I know ALL about Trollman.

But I'm just shocked that anyone posts there anymore. I thought everyone either knew Trollman didn't know poo poo about game design, or just forgot he existed.

And I do not want to hear about Trollman's misunderstanding of PbtA.

e: oh dammit I just remembered, it was that "infinite bears" thing.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Evil Mastermind posted:

Believe me, I know ALL about Trollman.

But I'm just shocked that anyone posts there anymore. I thought everyone either knew Trollman didn't know poo poo about game design, or just forgot he existed.

And I do not want to hear about Trollman's misunderstanding of PbtA.

e: oh dammit I just remembered, it was that "infinite bears" thing.

It's largely powered by hateorade. Like, they get that 5e sucks, so they rail against it, and then they also rail on Pathfinder, but then they also rail(ed) on 4e.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe
City of Mist just came out. The new PbtA game.

It's 513 pages long.

W-what!? N-nani!?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

It's largely powered by hateorade. Like, they get that 5e sucks, so they rail against it, and then they also rail on Pathfinder, but then they also rail(ed) on 4e.
It's just the fact that they're still doing it that boggles my mind.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Is there a Promethean remake being made in the 200 year anniversary of Frankenstein

Plutonis fucked around with this message at 04:13 on Oct 30, 2017

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Evil Mastermind posted:

It's just the fact that they're still doing it that boggles my mind.

Look at US politics. Hateorade is more addictive than Opiods.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

mango sentinel posted:

oWoD is garbage and NWoD is the one people who play video games want.

Fixed.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Zoro posted:

City of Mist just came out. The new PbtA game.

It's 513 pages long.

W-what!? N-nani!?

If I remember correctly, City of Mist is more freeform in terms of characters, as in you don't have playbooks, but instead have a "normal" chargen system.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Plutonis posted:

Is there a Promethean remake being made in the 200 year anniversary of Frankenstein

Promethean 2e came out last year. As CofD stuff goes it’s pretty good.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Simian_Prime posted:

Promethean 2e came out last year. As CofD stuff goes it’s pretty good.

hope you love some loving random word as proper nouns though, cause they laid it on real thick with that one

(still haven't gotten to play it though, because the one thing that 2e could not fix was getting anyone to actually run the dang game)

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
My big thing with Forsaken is that the conlang sounds awful and awkward compared to other games' and this is compounded by its comprising 50% of the text.

Simian_Prime
Nov 6, 2011

When they passed out body parts in the comics today, I got Cathy's nose and Dick Tracy's private parts.

Brother Entropy posted:

hope you love some loving random word as proper nouns though, cause they laid it on real thick with that one

(still haven't gotten to play it though, because the one thing that 2e could not fix was getting anyone to actually run the dang game)

Well yeah, thus the caveat “As CofD stuff goes...” I get annoyed with WW’s Special Volcab Lexicons too.

I really think the lines as a whole need someone to come in and slaughter all their sacred cows, but I doubt that will happen.

Your choices now are “play the game stuck in the 90’s” (nuWW) or “play the game stuck in the aughts” (OP/CofD)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

mango sentinel posted:

If we're talking about people who only play video games and might remember Bloodlines, I doubt they know or give any shits about the technical differences between Masqurade and Requiem. Definitely not enough to be beating down Paradox's doors and demanding they get every specific detail about the antediluvians correct. Also nWoD is generally better than oWoD until you step into one of its gaping sinkholes. And funny enough, those sinkholes often seem to draw the most influence from oWoD's setting or rules.

• Locked thread