Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

The Management posted:

lol if you think anyone at google has thought about the nexus 5x in the last few years.

Well it's still up on the nexus store so hey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

It's gonna bootloop

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
“my iPhone is tooootally slower after the new iOS update :supaburn: Apple is loving us again :argh: planned obsolescence!!! :argh:

meanwhile android phones stop getting updates within a few months of release (18 months if you’re lucky) and often the hardware physically stops working within a year.

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Doc Block posted:

“my iPhone is tooootally slower after the new iOS update :supaburn: Apple is loving us again :argh: planned obsolescence!!! :argh:

meanwhile android phones stop getting updates within a few months of release (18 months if you’re lucky) and often the hardware physically stops working within a year.

I barely use my phone, I only got the Nexus 5 because I wanted to get Google Fi for data when I'm in Europe

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

Doc Block posted:

my iPhone is tooootally slower after the new iOS update :supaburn: Apple is loving us again :argh: planned obsolescence!!! :argh:

meanwhile android phones stop getting updates within a few months of release (18 months if youre lucky) and often the hardware physically stops working within a year.

the biggest reason why android is a fail choice

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*preorders iPhone X for over $1000*

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

or....

you can just pick up an iphone 8 which doesn't cost $1000

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

akadajet posted:

or....

you can just pick up an iphone 8 which doesn't cost $1000

I mean yeah, but my Nexus 5X was like $250 unlocked when I bought it a couple years ago

Doc Block
Apr 15, 2003
Fun Shoe
buy a new, base model car? but my 99 Saturn only cost $500 :smug:

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The last good American car

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

*Tim Cook takes a poo poo on stage*

*Goons rush to preorder his feces*

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Why are there really only two choices in smartphone OS's anyway?

Jimmy Carter
Nov 3, 2005

THIS MOTHERDUCKER
FLIES IN STYLE

actionjackson posted:

because Palm thought that launching a new platform on Verizon, the carrier that most people used, was a bad idea.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Verizon is very demanding about interfering with what goes on it’s network so it makes sense that nobody wanted to put anything new out on it

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

hobbesmaster posted:

Verizon is very demanding about interfering with what goes on it’s network so it makes sense that nobody wanted to put anything new out on it

They wouldn't let the iPhone on their network until they saw what a success the 3GS was and realized they'd lose a ton of customers if they didn't get the 4.

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

windows had multiple OS changes, where previous apps were incompatible, so they never really secured a sliver of market share. blackberry was very incompetently managed, they dug their head in the sand and thought the iPhone was impossible. a garbage java monolith. no one else had their poo poo together to the same degree, the time of every phone having their own OS was not long to live and isn’t so attractive to developers. HP killed webos but palm failed to compete anyways. tizen along with enlightenment is insanely terrible https://what.thedailywtf.com/topic/15001/enlightened

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

yes, it will outlast dollar equivalent of android phones, especially os or security updates

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

yes, it will outlast dollar equivalent of android phones, especially os or security updates

Or, until the next iPhone comes out and you buy that because newer = better, even if your current phone works perfectly fine

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

actionjackson posted:

Or, until the next iPhone comes out and you buy that because newer = better, even if your current phone works perfectly fine
or you just don't do that

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

not unique to Apple, but iPhones keep value so who cares. in any case you could get an SE for a couple hundred bucks and be good for years

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

actionjackson posted:

because windows phone failed to take off despite being better than android in every conceivable way

still wasn't as good as ios tho

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

akadajet posted:

because windows phone failed to take off despite being better than android in every conceivable way
Worse than Android in terms of price and time to market. But otherwise, yes.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

back when android was a stuttery mess (and it still kind of is) windows phone was blazingly fast and the only real competitor to ios in terms of ui responsiveness

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

cinci zoo sniper posted:

or you just don't do that

I just think it's weird to talk about phones "outlasting" each other when most people will upgrade to another phone far before their current one needs to be replaced. I got my Nexus phone like 2.5 years ago and outside of some apps slowing down a bit recently I haven't had any issues with it. I'm not sure if this is related to Oreo or not.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 01:46 on Oct 30, 2017

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug
developing a mobile phone system (os, hardware, online services) is such an expensive thing to do that only a handful massive companies are able to do it with the kind of success that lets them keep going with it after a decade

and somehow (i'm at "b_llmer," if someone wants to buy a vowel) microsoft wasn't able to be one of them

Fiedler
Jun 29, 2002

I, for one, welcome our new mouse overlords.

Cocoa Crispies posted:

and somehow (i'm at "b_llmer," if someone wants to buy a vowel) microsoft wasn't able to be one of them

More like G_tes and N_dell_, because B_llmer's plan was to sink billions into becoming a proper first party phone hardware manufacturer. N_dell_ and G_tes decided to just focus on the cloud instead.

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Fiedler posted:

More like G_tes and N_dell_, because B_llmer's plan was to sink billions into becoming a proper first party phone hardware manufacturer. N_dell_ and G_tes decided to just focus on the cloud instead.

nah, ballmer was in charge from 2000 (when smartphones were mostly not a thing) to 2014 (just before windows pho 8.1), and just didn't have the vision to do anything beyond basically the same reaction as palm ("PC guys are not going to just figure this out. They’re not going to just walk in.") or blackberry (thinking it was witchcraft)

nadella was right to kill windows phone because by 2014 it was obvious that nobody but noxious IT shitbags wanted anything to do with microsoft so they'd just focus exclusively on that

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

actionjackson posted:

I just think it's weird to talk about phones "outlasting" each other when most people will upgrade to another phone far before their current one needs to be replaced. I got my Nexus phone like 2.5 years ago and outside of some apps slowing down a bit recently I haven't had any issues with it. I'm not sure if this is related to Oreo or not.

I’m a tech nerd with disposable income and buy a good phone for myself whenever I want to because I like having the best phone. I also buy phones for my parents and they use them for three or four years because they don’t care about phones. so having no-garbage phones that will last and also that can safely download apps without being instantly malware infested is important to me.

The Management
Jan 2, 2010

sup, bitch?

Fiedler posted:

ballmer’s plan was not going to work, it was a giant money pit and nokia windows phones were not getting any traction. they blew billions with nothing to show for it. nadella is actually succeeding in selling Microsoft software and services on iOS and android instead of trying to force the windows ecosystem on phones and developers.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

actionjackson posted:

tizen

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

I'll admit the iPhone SE looks interesting, I originally switched to Android because it was easier to customize the appearance (like with Nova launcher) and I liked having the choice of various phone manufacturers instead of just Apple. Is there data service on the iPhone that is similar to how Google Fi works on Android? Because that's a pretty good deal as it includes data in (most) of the rest of the world and I never pay more than $30/month

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

actionjackson posted:

Is there data service on the iPhone that is similar to how Google Fi works on Android? Because that's a pretty good deal as it includes data in (most) of the rest of the world and I never pay more than $30/month

no lol

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

The Management posted:

ballmer’s plan was not going to work, it was a giant money pit and nokia windows phones were not getting any traction. they blew billions with nothing to show for it. nadella is actually succeeding in selling Microsoft software and services on iOS and android instead of trying to force the windows ecosystem on phones and developers.
that was the key thing: ballmer thought they could just re-run the 1980s/90s msft playbook and license an os to oems and collect licensing revenue and that the killer feature would be integration with msfts enterprise software and systems (specifically office). but thats not how it worked out - google was happy to give their os away for free and apple set the mark for the consumer market (which didnt care about office integration and faintly loathed msft). msft also screwed itself by changing its mobile os multiple times, which sent oems and developers fleeing from the platform(s). by the time they settled on a workable strategy (buy an oem and make their own drat phones) it was too late - ios and android had already sewn up the mobile os market.

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

actionjackson posted:

I'll admit the iPhone SE looks interesting, I originally switched to Android because it was easier to customize the appearance (like with Nova launcher) and I liked having the choice of various phone manufacturers instead of just Apple. Is there data service on the iPhone that is similar to how Google Fi works on Android? Because that's a pretty good deal as it includes data in (most) of the rest of the world and I never pay more than $30/month

you can put a Project Fi sim into any phone that works on Tmo in the US, and it will work on Tmo in the US (you will have to fiddle with carrier settings to get MMS to work). you don't get any of the carrier-switching features though, which i assume means it wouldn't work abroad

my plan previous to project fi was a cheapo t-mobile thing with like 1GB of data per month, so my already-ingrained data mindfulness puts me in a similar spot for my bill. i got the free 2-year financing and my bill is always less than it ever was previously

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

Unfortunately that's a dealbreaker for me. Google Fi is by far the best for my needs, because I don't use data very often, but I still want to have it when I travel abroad. I was able to get data and texting at the same rate as in the US when I was in Germany, Austria, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, and Denmark. When I looked at plans for the iPhone SE the cheapest I saw was

Verizon - 60 (40 for 5 GB plus a stupid 20 line fee, no international included)
Sprint - 45 for 2 GB (includes international text, but not data)
ATT - 60 for 3 GB
T-Mobile (I can't seem to get good reception with them where I live) - Their One service has what i need (and way more) but is 70/month

Meanwhile, Google Fi is 20/month, plus $10 per 1 GB and I only pay the portion of that I use, in the US or most countries.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

actionjackson posted:

you can of course use any mvno you want but you’d have to buy an unlocked phone at full price or used. probably not a big problem for an SE.

maybe mintsim would work? im not too familiar with mvnos outside of the industrial space

Apple needs to put esims in the iPhone so they can gently caress over att/Verizon. google isn’t going to be a threat with their newer Project Fi phones but if Apple also does it...

hobbesmaster fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Oct 30, 2017

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

it would be awesome if apple started a Fi-like service too, or if somehow apple and google made a truce to run a service like that together just to put the screws to att and verizon

actionjackson
Jan 12, 2003

hobbesmaster posted:

you can of course use any mvno you want but you’d have to buy an unlocked phone at full price or used. probably not a big problem for an SE.

maybe mintsim would work? im not too familiar with mvnos outside of the industrial space

Apple needs to put esims in the iPhone so they can gently caress over att/Verizon. google isn’t going to be a threat with their newer Project Fi phones but of Apple also does it...

mintsim looks to be in my price range, but doesn't have any international data (I know I could get a separate card for that, but having it in one service is nice). I can't seem to find any MVNOs besides Fi that include international data - the plan is so good (for me) that I'm probably going to stick with compatible phones (i.e. android ones) until/unless something similar shows up for the iPhone.

actionjackson fucked around with this message at 04:49 on Oct 30, 2017

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

your best bet outside a major carrier’s roaming is always a local prepaid sim

i mean until projectfi came around

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy

Lutha Mahtin posted:

it would be awesome if apple started a Fi-like service too, or if somehow apple and google made a truce to run a service like that together just to put the screws to att and verizon

Tmobile is doing a good job of putting the screws to them now.