Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Martman posted:

That's a lot of why it felt so toothless to me. I don't mind a small scale, but no one other than Vulture was doing anything interesting with the alien technology. Like what, am I supposed to be worried because some robber can now cut open an ATM faster? The "people could get hurt" stuff was not much worse than actual weapons that apparently no one cares about.

Tony and Happy make it pretty clear that once something major happens it's The Avengers job. And there were uncover agents who were attempting to apprehend the Vulture and his gang on the barge when Spider-Man screwed it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
The Vulture Was Right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-8n1NebUgY4

MonsieurChoc fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Oct 30, 2017

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Timeless Appeal posted:

Batman Beyond did a decent episode calling bullshit on post-Columbine paranoia.

Which one was that?

Karloff
Mar 21, 2013

Martman posted:

That's a lot of why it felt so toothless to me. I don't mind a small scale, but no one other than Vulture was doing anything interesting with the alien technology. Like what, am I supposed to be worried because some robber can now cut open an ATM faster? The "people could get hurt" stuff was not much worse than actual weapons that apparently no one cares about.

That same robber, or one of his mates in the same scene, ends up accidentally destroying a sandwich shop. Later on, one of those weapons,when improperly handled manages to tear in half an entire ferry.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Karloff posted:

That same robber, or one of his mates in the same scene, ends up accidentally destroying a sandwich shop. Later on, one of those weapons,when improperly handled manages to tear in half an entire ferry.
Right, so they're like bombs pretty much. Why would random low level criminals even want stuff that powerful? It just felt really silly to me.

Seedge
Jun 15, 2009
Hey, buddy. :glomp:

Martman posted:

Right, so they're like bombs pretty much. Why would random low level criminals even want stuff that powerful? It just felt really silly to me.

Hey, did you see that Spider guy take out Johnny on YouTube? He dodged bullets, man! We need bigger guns for that freak. Etc.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
One of those weapons completely disintegrated another human being in a flash

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

Ferrinus posted:

But as per First Avenger, laser guns are not any better than regular guns.

I'm pretty sure that the only thing shown able to stand up to Hydra's standard hand weapons is Captain America's shield.

Martman posted:

Did you just do a 180 between 'what's the big deal, it's just getting into an ATM more easily' and 'jeez, this stuff is too powerful, surely nobody would buy that stuff'.

Vulture is selling the stuff as 'no big deal, just getting into an ATM easier' but each piece of tech is dangerous and volatile, see e.g. the power cell that explodes an indeterminate time after being put in an X-ray.

Fangz fucked around with this message at 13:42 on Oct 30, 2017

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Fangz posted:

I'm pretty sure that the only thing shown able to stand up to Hydra's standard hand weapons is Captain America's shield.

I don't think he even has the magic round shield when he and a bunch of rag-tag soldiers turn over an entire enemy base and just steal the weapons themselves and so on.

There's not a single Skyline-esque scene of blue CGI melting conventional tanks and infantry into slag. It's loving bullshit!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

I don't think he even has the magic round shield when he and a bunch of rag-tag soldiers turn over an entire enemy base and just steal the weapons themselves and so on.

There's not a single Skyline-esque scene of blue CGI melting conventional tanks and infantry into slag. It's loving bullshit!

They're POWs just trying to escape, and then Red Skull has the place self district.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Fangz posted:

Did you just do a 180 between 'what's the big deal, it's just getting into an ATM more easily' and 'jeez, this stuff is too powerful, surely nobody would buy that stuff'.
How is that a 180? I'm saying it's powerful in a way that doesn't really relate to the goals of a random thug/mugger/bank robber. Beyond being able to, yes, cut open ATMs, why am I particularly worried about one of these random dudes having a laser gun any more than I would be if he owns an assault rifle?

quote:

Vulture is selling the stuff as 'no big deal, just getting into an ATM easier' but each piece of tech is dangerous and volatile, see e.g. the power cell that explodes an indeterminate time after being put in an X-ray.
So I guess the problem is just that Vulture is essentially scamming his customers, who are for some reason totally comfortable using literal alien technology that might blow them up too. Other than the ATM was there any particular need for the tools? Are we supposed to be really excited that Spider-man is making banks more secure?

I think part of why I'm so biased against this being the core danger presented by the movie is that it's been used repeatedly in Marvel movies to handwave the significance of the wacky technology away. I get that it makes sense as far as explaining why, for example, only one guy gets to be Ant-Man; but then they just keep using "we can't let the bad dudes get the technology" and I just do not find it interesting or meaningful.

Martman fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 30, 2017

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Ferrinus posted:

The less like Skyline something is the better.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Skyline owns, but even if it didn’t, it’s the perfect model for glowing blue alien energy trivializing human artifice and demanding some kind of extraordinary or superhuman response. First Avenger just never actually sold the plasma guns as more dangerous than regular guns, presumably because you’re just not allowed to show the US military getting owned if they’re helping you out.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Man, Michael Keaton really makes this movie. He really brought a lot of sincerity and never gets too over the top with it. Really the best capeshit movie villain in forever.

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

I just really wasn't expecting him to be Liz's father and that whole house scene + car scene were awesome.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

AlternateAccount posted:

Man, Michael Keaton really makes this movie. He really brought a lot of sincerity and never gets too over the top with it. Really the best capeshit movie villain in forever.

Also the Vulture was about 1000% more threatening and cooler than I ever could have guessed. Whoever wrote/designed/cast Vulture needs some serious kudos.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Martman posted:

Thus the one dude who the first Shocker is trying to sell weapons to going "Dude I don't want a rail gun or a plasma cannon, I want something useful and practical."

I don't think Vulture thought things through all the way.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Cythereal posted:

Thus the one dude who the first Shocker is trying to sell weapons to going "Dude I don't want a rail gun or a plasma cannon, I want something useful and practical."

I don't think Vulture thought things through all the way.

Donald Glover's part in Homecoming is the best part behind Keaton's stellar performance.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Skyline owns, but even if it didn’t, it’s the perfect model for glowing blue alien energy trivializing human artifice and demanding some kind of extraordinary or superhuman response. First Avenger just never actually sold the plasma guns as more dangerous than regular guns, presumably because you’re just not allowed to show the US military getting owned if they’re helping you out.

We saw people being vaporized by the guns. And anything the US confiscated went straight back to Stark for examination

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

The Dave posted:

I just really wasn't expecting him to be Liz's father and that whole house scene + car scene were awesome.

Yes, when that door flies open, it was one of my favorite OH poo poo moments. Like how often do you feel EXACTLY like the protagonist feels in a moment? Perfect.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Davros1 posted:

We saw people being vaporized by the guns. And anything the US confiscated went straight back to Stark for examination

I'm sure someone at some point got shot by a laser and died, but the movie left the actual laser supremacy over bullets thing totally to our imaginations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rough Lobster posted:

Also the Vulture was about 1000% more threatening and cooler than I ever could have guessed. Whoever wrote/designed/cast Vulture needs some serious kudos.

What really grabbed me watching that scene again was how great the sound design was. That's as close to a prefect thwip as you're ever gonna get.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

AlternateAccount posted:

He's incredible.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

The Keaton stuff in the trailers really did not sell me but I was hopeful because it was Keaton. Taken out of the weird shot context of the trailers the moments they were trying to sell as menacing actually did work during the movie.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Keaton was a decent Batman but I think he'd making an incredible Two-Face now.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Keaton as old Batman in a Batman Beyond movie would own even if he wasn't already Batman.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Neo Rasa posted:

Keaton as old Batman in a Batman Beyond movie would own even if he wasn't already Batman.

It's too late now, and while I do love Gotham, they should have instead done Batman Beyond '66 with Adam West. Oh well. :smith:

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Detective No. 27 posted:

It's too late now, and while I do love Gotham, they should have instead done Batman Beyond '66 with Adam West. Oh well. :smith:

We don't deserve the timeline where in 2014 they made a Batman Beyond '66 movie set in the "future" of 1986.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I wasn't wild about SM: Homecoming but Keaton was loving great and the character was really good.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Vulture's deal makes sense considering he started out happy to do legitimate alien salvage and was muscled out of it by the feds and left in debt, but they didn't actually think to keep an eye on the people who'd already been cleaning up and salvaging alien technology. Since there's a state monopoly on alien salvage (which all goes to a warehouse because Stark has poo poo to do besides poke at alien tech) their only option is to sell the stuff on the black market, where they can basically charge whatever as long as the tech demonstrably works. It's implied they later expanded into other black-market supertech, including HYDRA weaponry and maybe even Asgardian stuff.

I guess that makes it, I dunno, the war on drugs? You'd think the Second Amendment types would be campaigning for the right to own a laser gun. I know I would be.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
Didn't Batman put his cum in Terry's dad's balls so that Batman is Terry's biological father even though Terry's dad put his weiner in Terry's mom?

The ultimate cuck

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rough Lobster posted:

Didn't Batman put his cum in Terry's dad's balls so that Batman is Terry's biological father even though Terry's dad put his weiner in Terry's mom?

The ultimate cuck

Worse

Some one else did it without Bruce knowing. Which is some kind of consent issue

Also fun fact- the reason why Terry's parents are divorced despite both being fond of the other is because Terry and his little brother, also Bruce's biological son, look NOTHING like their dad so the seemingly plainly obvious cheating drove them apart.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

what is it with batman only getting biological kids via sperm-jacking

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

what is it with batman only getting biological kids via sperm-jacking

he doesn't really do a lot of loving, I think he's been depicted as having boned someone a literal grand total of twice across all media (and both times caught hell from fans)

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

follow-up question: is batman volcel or incel

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Gotham is his only true mistress

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
He has been a fantastic mentor to Dick in that regard

I'm making a joke about how weirdly often Dick has been raped in comics. Because comic books

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

he doesn't really do a lot of loving, I think he's been depicted as having boned someone a literal grand total of twice across all media (and both times caught hell from fans)

Batman beds a woman in both burton films, plus nicole kidman, and at least Talia in DKR. People complained? He's always liked the ladies, its the whole reason for the on/off catwoman relationship

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

got any sevens posted:

Batman beds a woman in both burton films, plus nicole kidman, and at least Talia in DKR. People complained? He's always liked the ladies, its the whole reason for the on/off catwoman relationship

Affleck's Batman fucks too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Brother Entropy posted:

follow-up question: is batman volcel or incel

volcel-ish? it's usually that he's too busy beating the hell out of people at nights to get in a relationship with someone who isn't involved in that themselves, and the only other superhero who's really into him is Catwoman, who isn't exactly a hero

e: also I forgot about the live-action movies, I was thinking of one time in the comics where people got pissed that he hosed Talia and the Killing Joke movie where people got pissed that he hosed Barbara

• Locked thread