Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Bolow posted:

I've been leveling up my Rogue and Pugilist to take advantage of the command mission leveling, and I have just one question.

What kind of masochist would willingly play pugilist/monk with all these goddamn positionals?

One who realizes it's not nearly that bad unless you get one of those tanks that keeps moving around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solo Wing Pixy
Aug 5, 2008

It's an amanojaku!
And it hates you so much!
All MCH needs to be cool and good is one or more of the following.

1. Make Wildfire generate 5 heat on activation regardless of ammo to avoid the dreaded OH CRAP I HIT RELOAD BEFORE OVERHEATING thing.

2. Extend the duration of Wildfire OR Overheat by a couple of seconds, possibly with a corresponding reduction to damage.

As it stands, I like the class but I never actually go "hey I should play MCH." It's hard-pressed to match the DPS I can do on SMN (granted I have a lot more experience on SMN) and can't really match BRD or RDM for utility.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
remember that MCH's problem isn't damage - if you look at people running meta comps, the MCH is usually one of the top 2 players; in addition they have hypercharge to boost raidwide dps. that adds up to a lot (as long as you have a drg). the problem is the perceived boringness of the rotation. if yoship wants to fix the class, then it's a playstyle question, not a buff/nerf question. for this reason I doubt we'll see many changes.

Stalins Moustache
Dec 31, 2012

~~**I'm Italian!**~~

ImpAtom posted:

Red mage is genuinely very very simple.

Jolt is your opener. From here you do Veraero or Verthunder. Repeat this combo, using Veraero is White Mana is lower or Verthunder if Black Mana is lower.

A) If Verstone/Verfire is procced swap it for Jolt in your opener.
B) When you unlock Impact replace Jolt in your combo with Impact if Verstone/Verfire doesn't proc.
C) When you hit 80-80 mana you do your melee combo and follow it with Verflare (if White Mana is higher) or Verholy (if Black Mana is higher.)
D) Basically use your magic sword skills on cooldown.

There are ways to optimize but that's basically it. AoE is basically 'spam Scatter at 3 or more."

Yeah, that's what I've been doing and the results have been really good. Played RDM at 70 for a long while now and have stuck with that, but I saw some suggestions that the opener should be

Vercure (for instant cast before pull) -> Acceleration -> Verthunder/aero -> Swiftcast -> Verthunder / Stone -> Fleche -> Corps-A-Corps -> Contre Sixte - > Displacement

And from there you build up until both manas are at 40, then you immediately do a manafication to unleash your melee combo. I guess it's a good nuke opener?

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

Bolow posted:

I've been leveling up my Rogue and Pugilist to take advantage of the command mission leveling, and I have just one question.

What kind of masochist would willingly play pugilist/monk with all these goddamn positionals?

The secret to MNK is that you only move once every three hits at 50+, just like every other positional heavy classes. You start on the side for Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes, then move to the back for Demolish -> Bootshine -> True Strike, then move back to the side for Snap Punch -> Dragon Kick and repeat. When you are leveling, keep in mind that you don't start in Opo-opo form, so it doesn't matter what your initial positional is for Bootshine, since you won't get any bonus from it. If that's too much movement for you, keep in mind that you don't need to move to hit mobs at right angles. You can hop back and forth across the edge of the back/flank marker on the targeting circle, which is just a little bit of movement.

chlorophylls
May 8, 2013

I'm gonna kill you.
Thanks for the replies everyone. :) I've yet to wipe solely because of mouseover healing (as far as I know), but it's good to hear. Might still give non-mouseover healing a go just for the sake of experimenting.

It sounds like Divine Benison is one of those things in which it's nice to have/use if you happen to have the Lilies for it, but if you don't, don't stress out about it too much.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Stalins Moustache posted:

Yeah, that's what I've been doing and the results have been really good. Played RDM at 70 for a long while now and have stuck with that, but I saw some suggestions that the opener should be

Vercure (for instant cast before pull) -> Acceleration -> Verthunder/aero -> Swiftcast -> Verthunder / Stone -> Fleche -> Corps-A-Corps -> Contre Sixte - > Displacement

And from there you build up until both manas are at 40, then you immediately do a manafication to unleash your melee combo. I guess it's a good nuke opener?

This opener makes no sense, it has you using 4 ogcds in a row and also has you spend swiftcast on a short cast... i think...??

Bolow
Feb 27, 2007

Tenik posted:

The secret to MNK is that you only move once every three hits at 50+, just like every other positional heavy classes. You start on the side for Dragon Kick -> Twin Snakes, then move to the back for Demolish -> Bootshine -> True Strike, then move back to the side for Snap Punch -> Dragon Kick and repeat. When you are leveling, keep in mind that you don't start in Opo-opo form, so it doesn't matter what your initial positional is for Bootshine, since you won't get any bonus from it. If that's too much movement for you, keep in mind that you don't need to move to hit mobs at right angles. You can hop back and forth across the edge of the back/flank marker on the targeting circle, which is just a little bit of movement.

I guess my biggest issue is outside of instanced stuff, positionals in general suck rear end. There should be some kind of guild action or some poo poo for a permanent true north thing while in uninstanced areas.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

That makes perfect sense, since positionals are impossible when you are solo. It might look like you can hit an enemy on their side, but that's just because of your ping. Enemies in this game have perfect one to one tracking, so no matter what it looks like on your screen, whenever you use a skill on a mob that has agro on you, you are hitting their front. Just don't worry about it unless you have a tank.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
You can technically get positionals early on when leveling by doing them when they use a AOE.

Or you could use your 40 second cooldown stun role ability as a HOT DPS COOLDOWN

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

I wouldn't be surprised if positionals were on the chopping block at some point in the future.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The good news is that my mount collection has grown.

The bad news is that now I have to do Susano/Lakshmi/Shinryu EX. :negative:

SonicRulez
Aug 6, 2013

GOTTA GO FIST
I should finish the birds up. I'm half way there already. The PF is just...not often very fun.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about Monk but Ninja is so loving fun. I honestly can't enjoy any of the other melee DPs classes because it feels like I'm moving through molasses playing them in comparison. Plus Mudra has some of the most satisfying sound in the game.

Very true. I think GL is the reason why I had a time with PUG for a while there before I changed my mind and leveled DRK. On the upside, whenever I spend a few dungeons not playing my NIN, I feel like The Flash as soon as I get back. Huton is amazing.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

OneDeadman posted:

You can technically get positionals early on when leveling by doing them when they use a AOE.

Or you could use your 40 second cooldown stun role ability as a HOT DPS COOLDOWN

Yeah I use a mix of Leg Sweep and True North to land Trick Attack on Ninja. Most (all?) Other positionals are just higher potency so it's not as noticeable.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

SonicRulez posted:

I should finish the birds up. I'm half way there already. The PF is just...not often very fun.

Ravana, Bismarck, and Thordan are pretty reliable to do with randoms on PF, I think. The other four, though, you'll probably need a static that can do them with you.

If you're on an Aether server, I know someone that does consistent Sophia parties and will likely be branching out to the other HW EXs as well.

Asimo
Sep 23, 2007

Velthice posted:

(...) redmage and machinist almost consistently bringing up the rear.
What? Last I checked RDM was being played pretty heavily, it was just mediocre/mid-tier in DPS.

MCH is definitely the least played job by far though and will probably continue to be as long as wildfire exists in its current incarnation.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
wildfire killed my parents and kicked my dog

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Slenderpals East is looking for a full time Scholar or Astrologian! We raid Mon/Thu 8:30-11 EST, and are currently working on O4S, Ex-Death. Come be a loving casual midcore with us. PM Fiaryn in game, or in Discord, if you're interested in entering the hallowed halls of void goatse.

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Asimo posted:

What? Last I checked RDM was being played pretty heavily, it was just mediocre/mid-tier in DPS.

It is both popular and strong, it just has a very simple rotation.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?
Red Mage is extremely my poo poo, and I like to think I'm halfway decent at it. I've definitely seen some dire Red Mages in DF, like the one I got in Skalla today who never pressed the following buttons: Scatter, Fleche, Contre-Sixte, Embolden.

Like, I can understand forgetting Embolden sometimes, but why would you never press one of the best buttons in the game as often as possible?

May I also say, Skalla is a fun dungeon. The final boss is a really good fight.

M.c.P
Mar 27, 2010

Stop it.
Stop all this nonsense.

Nap Ghost
I mean on the one hand MCH relies more on their 15 second steroid window than a lot of other classes.
On the other, I can look pretty good while doing it.

It's Halloween everyone, who's got spooky or referential glams?

I got like, 3.

Though I know, like, one person who recognizes this one.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Leofish posted:

Fleche, Contre-Sixte

But Fleche is so good and Contre-Sixte, while not as good, is still pretty good even on single targets.

Also, they look pretty flashy and that's reason enough to use them whenever they come up.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Sarrisan posted:

remember that MCH's problem isn't damage - if you look at people running meta comps, the MCH is usually one of the top 2 players; in addition they have hypercharge to boost raidwide dps. that adds up to a lot (as long as you have a drg). the problem is the perceived boringness of the rotation. if yoship wants to fix the class, then it's a playstyle question, not a buff/nerf question. for this reason I doubt we'll see many changes.

Since when was Hypercharge a raid buff? All I'm seeing is a damage buff for my turret.

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Ibblebibble posted:

Since when was Hypercharge a raid buff? All I'm seeing is a damage buff for my turret.

Tooltips are your friend!

e: wow it's NOT in the tooltip, but instead in the tooltip for the turret? that seems nonsensical and arbitrary, but so does mch. I suppose it made more sense there in HW when the different turrets applied different vulnerabilities?

Anyway given drg in 4.1 there's proof they're not averse to playstyle changes without affecting DPS at all so

Mister Olympus fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Oct 30, 2017

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
it applies a Vuln Up to the boss for 10 seconds.

this is not in the tooltip because gently caress you thats why.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Ibblebibble posted:

Hypercharge Effect: Increases target's damage taken by 6%
Duration: 10s

That’s from all sources.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

Bolow posted:

Actually Monk is cool and good and since you have no castbars or procs to pay attention to about you just kind of learn to naturally move slightly left or right of the target's back corner depending on what your next attack is. You do learn to hate tanks who can't goddamn stand still, though.

ImpAtom posted:

I don't know about Monk but Ninja is so loving fun. I honestly can't enjoy any of the other melee DPs classes because it feels like I'm moving through molasses playing them in comparison. Plus Mudra has some of the most satisfying sound in the game.

Monks pretty much go just as fast as ninjas and don't get hosed as hard if the boss spins around unexpectedly for one GCD (because, when you are a ninja, this is *always* when you are pressing Trick Attack).

I've come to be used to samurai speed but sometimes I miss buzzsaw gameplay, so I'm finally gearing up my ninja again.

slev
Apr 6, 2009

Ninja was fun but then they added TCJ and now it is less fun.

Griz
May 21, 2001

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

Ravana, Bismarck, and Thordan are pretty reliable to do with randoms on PF, I think. The other four, though, you'll probably need a static that can do them with you.

If you're on an Aether server, I know someone that does consistent Sophia parties and will likely be branching out to the other HW EXs as well.

or if you're on Primal, there's a goon primal farm static that currently has an opening for a healer or dps. lately we've been doing birds and Shinryu because the dog drop rate is terrible and so are Shinryu pf groups.

https://catgirl.bargains/topic/199-some-jerks-who-bullied-zurvan-general-trials-static/

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
I think I did this right...

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Griz posted:

the dog drop rate is terrible and so are Shinryu pf groups.

I was afraid you'd say that. :negative:

MechaCrash
Jan 1, 2013

Thundarr posted:

Actually Monk is cool and good and since you have no castbars or procs to pay attention to about you just kind of learn to naturally move slightly left or right of the target's back corner depending on what your next attack is. You do learn to hate tanks who can't goddamn stand still, though.

On the one hand, I always feel a little bad for monks on the team when I pull big and it's a bunch of monsters that puke up AOEs, which requires me to dance around them and thus spin all the enemies. On the other hand, if there's enough that I can't hold still for more than three seconds and the monk isn't using the position-agnostic Rockbreaker AOE attack, that's on them.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

MechaX posted:

I am finally getting around to leveling MCH to discard excess aiming gear learn more classes in the game (or... uh... to make sure that the Jump Potion I spent on the class was truly worth it).

After the class being a goddamn dumpster fire from 30 up to 64, I appreciate that now the class shifted from "boring water pistol effects" to "MICHAEL loving BAY" with the Heated Shots.

Too bad I'm still not quite sure if Overheat is something your supposed to do or is a pretty big gently caress up. I want to lean towards the latter, as I don't have Stabilizer yet.

Hyperactive posted:

Yeah I just hit 64 on MCH yesterday and it's like someone finally flipped the fun switch. I'm not super clear on overheating either so my strategy has been to avoid doing it. I also forget about Wildfire more often than not. Still parsing ahead of everyone I DR with soooo whatever?

You want to always overheat. The problem is that while leveling, you don't have a skill to use because not ready to overheat right this moment. The other problem is that you don't have a thing to use that will put you over the top in terms of heat that ignores ammo, which you preferably would like to have preloaded, so that you can pop all your cooldowns outside of Wildfire, so that they don't take up valuable oGCDs inside of it.

At 70, it's gonna look like something like this:

Gauss Barrel on
Hot Shot
Full Reload, Rapid Fire, Reassemble
Flamethrower until you Overheat.
Immediately cancel into Wildfire,
Cooldown spam while weaving in Gauss Round, Ricochet, and Quick Reload.
Crash, and a ten second wait.
Gauss Barrel on
Barrel Stabilizer
Hot Shot
Bounce around between 50 and 99 heat by using Reload, Quick Reload and Cooldown, until your Ricochet, Rapid Fire, Reassemble, Wildfire, and Flamethrower all finish cooling down.
Repeat.

The problem is that until you hit 70, you can't see how this all lines up. You have to do janky poo poo like holding off Reload until you get INTO Overheat, because ammo will keep you from overheating. And because you have nothing that will put you over into Overheat that will not also consume Rapid Fire and Reassemble, you have to hold off using those until you get into Overheat as well. So for best performance, you're doing, Overheat with like, I dunno, Hot Shot or something, pop ALL OF THE CDs, Cooldown spam while also using Gauss Round and Ricochet, and then work your way back up to 95 heat the long and hard way while the rest of your poo poo finishes coming off cooldown long before then.

TL;DR: MCH makes _more_ sense at level 70, but may god have mercy on your soul, you have to slog through forty levels of it *not* clicking until then.

Sarrisan posted:

it applies a Vuln Up to the boss for 10 seconds.

this is not in the tooltip because gently caress you thats why.

Correction: It applies a 10 second Vulnerability Up to the boss, and refreshes it EVERY TURRET AUTO-ATTACK FOR THE TWENTY SECONDS OF HYPERCHARGE'S DURATION.

In practical terms: About 26 to 29 seconds of Vulnerability.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Oct 30, 2017

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

hmmm that's not how you do wildfire at all

you want 2 clean shots and 2 cooldowns

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Countblanc posted:

This opener makes no sense, it has you using 4 ogcds in a row and also has you spend swiftcast on a short cast... i think...??

You don't get Dualcast from Swiftcasted spells either so you're using Swiftcast on a fast cast and not getting Dualcast either.

There's little reason to have Swiftcast slotted on RDM, tbh.

e: mistake

Josuke Higashikata fucked around with this message at 10:38 on Oct 30, 2017

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Like for real???? seriously?? spamming cooldown????? I'm still so confused why you think that's an okay thing to tell people

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
Don't worry you can just hit hard slash over and over

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Wait, Stormblood gave MCH a spamable action named "Cooldown"? That's hosed up.

Muxik
Jan 24, 2015

Gruckles posted:

Wait, Stormblood gave MCH a spamable action named "Cooldown"? That's hosed up.

no, it didn't actually

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Dryzen posted:

hmmm that's not how you do wildfire at all

you want 2 clean shots and 2 cooldowns

That's how you do it once you get your full set of tools and understand MCH. Until then, Cooldown spam during Overheat will get you "nobody will complain in pubs" numbers.

Muxik posted:

no, it didn't actually

Yes, it did.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 30, 2017