Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Muxik
Jan 24, 2015

its existence wasn't in question

don't spam this during wildfire pls

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

You're talking about a level 70 rotation I'm not understanding what you mean? You say spam cooldown after flamethrower which doesn't really make much sense.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Have had coffee. Can now articulate point: cooldown, cooldown, cooldown, and gauss reload quattro gcd is basically the kind of wildfire you would serve to children and invalids.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Aurora posted:

Have had coffee. Can now articulate point: cooldown, cooldown, cooldown, and gauss reload quattro gcd is basically the kind of wildfire you would serve to children and invalids.

lol

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Okay hold on your posts confuse me so much but I seriously disagree with teaching people an incorrect way to play ever. The perfect wildfire rotation might be a little tight but I think it's still worth learning it and doing it until you're able to always do it correctly because that's always going to be the best thing in the long run

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

personally i just spam impulse drive at level 70

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare
seriously tho if hard slash ever fails, just hit unleash a few times

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Cooldown x5, also buffed by 4x ammo: 255 x 4 + 230 = 1250 potency

ammo Heated Clean, ammo Heated Split, Heated Clean, Cooldown, Cooldown: 295 + 255 + 270 + 255 + 255 = 1330 potency

You're going to complain about cooldown spam being eighty potency less?

The difference is not THAT large, and I'd much rather a burgeoning MCH use the former until they can get the latter straight.

Muxik
Jan 24, 2015
Do the wrong thing over and over again until eventually you magically learn the right thing out of nowhere

This is how practice works

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
So somehow BLM gets a pass for the 3.X rotation only being some percentage only statistically significant to world firsters behind an optimal 4.X rotation, but this simplified Wildfire rotation is ABSOLUTELY VERBOTEN.

Right. Got it.

Space Bat
Apr 17, 2009

hold it now hold it now hold it right there
you wouldn't drop, couldn't drop diddy, you wouldn't dare

SwissArmyDruid posted:

So somehow BLM gets a pass for the 3.X rotation only being some percentage only statistically significant to world firsters behind an optimal 4.X rotation, but this simplified Wildfire rotation is ABSOLUTELY VERBOTEN.

Right. Got it.

Well, I'm glad you understand now, at least :)

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right. Got it.

what the gently caress are you talking about

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I can't believe people were having a pretty reasonable conversation about machinist before you showed up and ruined it

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

SwissArmyDruid posted:

Right. Got it.

lmao my dude

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
Please don't spam cooldown or really use it unless you have no choice to avoid overheating early, hope this helps.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Cooldown is good for the end of your wildfire where you don't have any ammo and also in general because it keeps your overall damage pretty steady even when you're not getting the random shot procs

EponymousMrYar
Jan 4, 2015

The enemy of my enemy is my enemy.
I'm of the opinion that Overheat is more of an issue to MCH than Wildfire. Mostly because I haven't developed the muscle memory to not hit the late-HW Wildfire rotation which means I have ammo at 95 heat and all my buffs are running. :shobon:
Letting Wildfire trigger Overheat in those situations would be awesome.

Dryzen posted:

what the gently caress are you talking about

Ignoring B4 outside of your opener is a DPS increase for BLM's in all situations outside of getting the optimal 6x Fire 4 Astral phase off. Which has pretty tight requirements for movement, maintaining your astral/umbral (and by extension, enochian) which lets you Foul more and you can have issues with your mana when doing it.

Compared to the HW 2x Fire 4 -> Fire -> 2x Fire 4 Astral phase which avoids all of those problems and still lines up with CD's.

It's more akin to the proposed idea at the beginning of SB to Never Overheat Except On Accident before they buffed it to say 'yes, please Overheat, it's a big DPS increase that's Worth It.'

x1o
Aug 5, 2005

My focus is UNPARALLELED!
I'm just going to level mch to 70 then never touch it again because I am terrible at it.

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Meanwhile MCH in PvP has a super tight skill set.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

That was a "why are you bringing this up" thing because it had nothing at all to do with me or what I was talking about

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

Aurora posted:

personally i just spam impulse drive at level 70

:same:

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Is cooldown the new fracture?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

M.c.P posted:

Though I know, like, one person who recognizes this one.

Finally, I know how to make cabbage rolls!

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
Cooldown is real and strong and is my friend.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You don't get Dualcast from Swiftcasted spells either so you're using Swiftcast on a fast cast and not getting Dualcast either.

There's little reason to have Swiftcast slotted on RDM, tbh.

e: mistake

I've been experimenting with Swiftcast on RDM. I mostly use it as a way to get a bit of extra mana for free if I get out of balance.

One thing I will note: you can have Dualcast and Swiftcast up simultaneously. If you go Jolt II + Swiftcast, you can get two instant Veraero/Verthunder in a row because it uses up dual first, then swift. You could similarly use it in a raise situation to vercure, swift, dual-verraise, swift-verraise.

But you're right, it's not as critical to the job as it is to healers or other casters.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Doing shortcast, swift, longcast, longcast is pointless when you can shortcast, longcast, swift, longcast to accomplish the exact same thing with no risk of clipping.

Hra Mormo
Mar 6, 2008

The Internet Man
On RDM I use swiftcast if I don't have a Ready proc and Impact isn't up to fire an instant Aero or Thunder without having to Jolt. Most fights it's not like you'd get any mileage out of a different role action, atleast Swiftcast lets you avoid casting Jolt once per minute which is something you want to avoid at all costs anyway. Sometimes it's helpful for finetuning your mana as well if you just want the one Aero/Thunder to hit your sweetspot for Manafication.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

I am lolling pretty hard at cooldown spam chat. Is this the new ice mage?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

EponymousMrYar posted:

I'm of the opinion that Overheat is more of an issue to MCH than Wildfire. Mostly because I haven't developed the muscle memory to not hit the late-HW Wildfire rotation which means I have ammo at 95 heat and all my buffs are running. :shobon:
Letting Wildfire trigger Overheat in those situations would be awesome.

Ignoring B4 outside of your opener is a DPS increase for BLM's in all situations outside of getting the optimal 6x Fire 4 Astral phase off. Which has pretty tight requirements for movement, maintaining your astral/umbral (and by extension, enochian) which lets you Foul more and you can have issues with your mana when doing it.

Compared to the HW 2x Fire 4 -> Fire -> 2x Fire 4 Astral phase which avoids all of those problems and still lines up with CD's.

It's more akin to the proposed idea at the beginning of SB to Never Overheat Except On Accident before they buffed it to say 'yes, please Overheat, it's a big DPS increase that's Worth It.'

There's a proviso here: you never want to end an umbral cycle by hardcasting thunder, because if you fail to get a mana tick between Thunder III firing off and Fire III firing off you will start without enough mp to cast five Fires IV.

So, if your umbral cycle ends with Foul or a Thundercloud proc, skip Blizz4. If your umbral cycle ends with a normally-cast Thunder spell, cast Blizz4.

Edit: I should make it clear that your objective is to be able to go F4, F4, F, F4, F4, F4 in a single astral cycle. Casting only four F4s is definitely worse than using Blizz4 as intended.

Ferrinus fucked around with this message at 15:24 on Oct 30, 2017

kojei
Feb 12, 2008

Josuke Higashikata posted:

You don't get Dualcast from Swiftcasted spells either so you're using Swiftcast on a fast cast and not getting Dualcast either.

There's little reason to have Swiftcast slotted on RDM, tbh.

e: mistake

Swiftcast is massively beneficial to red mage. At worst it's a potency gain for a single GCD, at best it lets you start a fresh proc chain. And the "at best" condition triggers 50% of the time.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

WrightOfWay posted:

Doing shortcast, swift, longcast, longcast is pointless when you can shortcast, longcast, swift, longcast to accomplish the exact same thing with no risk of clipping.

Yes, that works too. I've been hitting it while casting the short spell so that it fires as soon as the cast is done and I have the two instants. But in between the long casts might be better.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

I usually reserve Cooldown for when I'm in Overheat and I'm out of ammo for procs. Otherwise I just want to be pushing to that 100 heat as much as possible. Unless I'm about to get Flamethrower and then I don't care how much heat I have!

Playing MCH is basically the Barrel Stabilizer animation but it's you IRL.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Bring back fracture as a skill for mch during overheat.

Orabilis
May 6, 2014
Just cast Wyvern fire to lock the heat gauge.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Hit 70 on MCH two weeks ago. Every time I come out of the FC house I make sure to practice the MCH opener on the dummy next to the door.

If we really want to get into hot talks lets speak words about 2 ammo vs 3 ammo openers and how the 3 ammo opener is not cool or fun.

Reiterpallasch
Nov 3, 2010

Fun Shoe
please don't tell people to ditch swiftcast on rdm

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

kojei posted:

Swiftcast is massively beneficial to red mage. At worst it's a potency gain for a single GCD, at best it lets you start a fresh proc chain. And the "at best" condition triggers 50% of the time.

^

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Asimo posted:

What? Last I checked RDM was being played pretty heavily, it was just mediocre/mid-tier in DPS.

MCH is definitely the least played job by far though and will probably continue to be as long as wildfire exists in its current incarnation.

Well, it's the lowest dps. Which is what you would expect from the jack of all trades class.

Sarrisan
Oct 9, 2012
one thing to note, for people not into end-game dps stuff, is that the current meta speed-kill comp includes the entire bottom-half of that list sans red mage. often, the ability of a class to buff his team-mates makes a much bigger difference than a classes ability to do big numbers straight out.

of course, this is all dependent on a team geared and playing in a specific way; randoms getting together and not paying a ton of attention to raid buffs will probably do just fine or better with the "selfish" classes.

edit: which is to say, don't worry about it and play what you like. in the long run experience and skill trumps team-comp 90% of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrightWing
Apr 27, 2012

Yes, he is quite mad.
Wow, are there any good guides on SMN? Cause I've been screwing around on it but never felt top DPS powerful, mostly just chasing cds trying to keep everything ticking. Seriously missing something in my play and don't know what it might be.