Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Democrazy posted:

It's fun watching how Nick Sabah is driving the SEC insane by both sucking up talent that would normally be distributed among several teams, and also forcing teams to implicitly compete against him in an impossible situation.

And sending off his former assistants to gently caress up rival programs like his own personal Shadow of Mordor game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

superbelch
Dec 9, 2003
Making baby jesus cry since 1984.

nachos posted:

And sending off his former assistants to gently caress up rival programs like his own personal Shadow of Mordor game.

Alabama's boosters are playing the long game. McElwain has a shadow salary.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Charlie Strong

No

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

The Notorious ZSB posted:

I really doubt Fuente gets pulled from VT after 2 years. Doesn't seem like his style given the overtures he turned down at Memphis. I also think we're a good job worth staying at.

I don't either, but I think he's a good enough coach that UF would be irresponsible not to test the water with him.

I think VT is a better job than UF in a lot of ways--more stable, lower expectations (this isn't an insult btw), great facilities, cool college town, great fans--but UF has a much higher ceiling and some coaches really want to take a shot at it in spite of the incredible pressures.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

LeeMajors posted:

I don't either, but I think he's a good enough coach that UF would be irresponsible not to test the water with him.

I think VT is a better job than UF in a lot of ways--more stable, lower expectations (this isn't an insult btw), great facilities, cool college town, great fans--but UF has a much higher ceiling and some coaches really want to take a shot at it in spite of the incredible pressures.

I blame no one for trying, even if it means we have to pay him more. Unlike the Beamer era where no one wanted our coaches besides Bud I think it's a mark of a good program when other places want your coaches. Cornelson is gonna get a shot somewhere in the next 2-5 years for sure imo.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

LLCoolJD posted:

If there's a coach out there who's able to seriously contend with Bama/Ohio State/Clemson, he's not easy to spot. This is one of those years (like most years) where the ceiling on new hire quality might cap out a little lower. Which would still be a welcome improvement for Florida, mind you.

Florida pays top dollar and has access to top-10 recruiting classes each year. I don't know what you guys are smoking if you think there are any other top programs without similar pressures.

I think a major thing in Florida's favor is that it will be the best job available for this hiring cycle.

And yeah I don't want any more Saban assistants or retreads.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Some people seriously argued that Texas was being unfair by firing Charlie Strong after three full losing seasons and paying him his full buyout. Can you imagine if he'd won 10 and 9 games those first two years, finishing second in the conference each time, and then got fired and hosed out of his buyout like halfway through year three?

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Thermos H Christ posted:

Some people seriously argued that Texas was being unfair by firing Charlie Strong after three full losing seasons and paying him his full buyout. Can you imagine if he'd won 10 and 9 games those first two years, finishing second in the conference each time, and then got fired and hosed out of his buyout like halfway through year three?

But that's not a national championship, therefore he's bad.

Just ask Jed York how that works (at least he gave us Harbaugh being a total goober at Michigan).

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

an adult beverage posted:

I think a major thing in Florida's favor is that it will be the best job available for this hiring cycle.

So is that a no on Butch Davis for UF?

He'll keep Randy as DC.

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

Florida has had a bottom quarter offense for like Mac’s entire tenure and he was hired to fix their offense. It’s not stupid to fire him given that he’s shown no indication that he intends to change anything on that front.

The east has been a cripple fight for years, just because Mac was the best cripple for two of them doesn’t mean he was good.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009

LIVARPOOL!

Klopp's 13pts clear thanks to video ref

Yeah our offence has been so bad for so long, but the tools are there for someone to come in and be able to make a big splash. I think most fans would be happy with scoring more than 20 points per game in the new HCs first season. If he can keep the next few years recruiting classes mostly together there's some good guys coming in as well.

So low(ered) pressure in his first year, decent enough team, and good players in the next classes. Meanwhile you have Tennessee.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

Thermos H Christ posted:

FYI "second in conference" is actually closer to 5th or 6th because the SEC east has been a loving dumpster for years now

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
I'm surprised that Chris Petersen isn't getting more run in the rumor mill. Not that I think he'll go anywhere (he won't), but because that seems like the type of pie-in-the-sky name SEC fans chase every year next to Gruden and Chip.

HEY PAWL HOW 'BOUT WE GO GET DAT COACH PETE FROM BOISE OR ALASKA WHEREVER HE IS NOW

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

Benne posted:

I'm surprised that Chris Petersen isn't getting more run in the rumor mill. Not that I think he'll go anywhere (he won't), but because that seems like the type of pie-in-the-sky name SEC fans chase every year next to Gruden and Chip.

HEY PAWL HOW 'BOUT WE GO GET DAT COACH PETE FROM BOISE OR ALASKA WHEREVER HE IS NOW

Mostly because we don’t sound like that :colbert:

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Petersen I would think is low on folks lists after how long he stuck around at Boise (well documented help for his kid not with standing) I get the impression people just don't think he has much interest in moving in general.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
I'm not defending the Sharkfucker, or even attempting to judge whether Florida is making the right move by firing him. I'm just saying that the narrative of Texas being too quick to pull the rug out from under Charlie Strong seems extra dumb in light of how coaches with objectively much better results are treated elsewhere.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
I really hope Neyland is empty for homecoming on Saturday. This admin is dumb as hell.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Why the gently caress would anyone want to leave an incredibly secure job in Seattle

Seaniqua
Mar 12, 2004

"We'll see how the first year goes. But people better get us now, because we're going to keep getting better and better."
Traffic? Rain? Seahawks fans?

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Demon Of The Fall posted:

I really hope Neyland is empty for homecoming on Saturday. This admin is dumb as hell.

The frustration is understandable but where are they going to get the money? They need over $8mil to buy him out.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

DJExile posted:

The frustration is understandable but where are they going to get the money? They need over $8mil to buy him out.

The Haslam's are keyed into Tennessee. Im sure they can spend some of their well hidden bribe money

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
I hear Gruden's willing to coach the first season pro bono to compensate for the payout. Though they're still going to have to pony up for Spurrier at OC.

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DJExile posted:

Haslam is worth over 3.5 billion.

The rumor (which I believe) Jones is the coach as long as they have a chance to make it to a bowl game. They will have to win 3 out of 4 (Southern Miss, MO, LSU, and Vandy). I think LSU is a true loss, but the other 3 are toss ups. I am 50/50 they make it to a bowl. If they do make it I still believe Jones is gone and will not coach the bowl game.

Also don't forget this is even worse than Dooley's worst year.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

Doesn't the buyout go down if they simply wait till the end of the season?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Thermos H Christ posted:

I'm not defending the Sharkfucker, or even attempting to judge whether Florida is making the right move by firing him. I'm just saying that the narrative of Texas being too quick to pull the rug out from under Charlie Strong seems extra dumb in light of how coaches with objectively much better results are treated elsewhere.

I thought Texas made the right move (at the time) in hiring Strong, and also the right move for getting rid of him when they did. He failed to deliver on what was supposed to be his coaching specialty (defense, and of course winning lots of games). I think the same about Florida and McElwain.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

DJExile posted:

Tennessee athletics prints money. They can afford any buyout.

The only thing I can think of is that Currie is waiting to fire Butch and then introduce the new coach at the same time. That's the only way this makes sense.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Thermos H Christ posted:

Didn't Strong losing to honkin' Kansas put the kibosh on that? (There is the secondary issue of whether or not Strong got institutional support when he was there, but that's another argument.)

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
If Florida hires Charlie strong I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

The only thing I can think of is that Currie is waiting to fire Butch and then introduce the new coach at the same time. That's the only way this makes sense.

You're immediately doubling that cost to bring a new guy in though. It's not as simple as "gently caress it, this guy's out" and a new coach magically appears.

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

Scionix posted:

If Florida hires Charlie strong I am going to laugh and laugh and laugh

They're gonna go another offensive guy for better or worse.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL
Plus Florida has already had multiple opportunities to hire Strong, if they wanted him they would have already had him (and probably fired him by now).

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

My hot take is Charlie Strong succeeds where he has medium expectations. Nobody expects USF to compete for a national championship, and because he doesn't have the media/boosters breathing down his neck he has the freedom to experiment and really develop the players. I feel like he would get a similar Texas-esque experience out of Strong if he coached the Gators.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Florida should hire Rod Broadway

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

It is if they move early in the cycle, which is why I think they pulled the trigger now. It's possible you could see Notre Dame open if Brian Kelly takes an NFL job.

Plus Florida has already had multiple opportunities to hire Strong, if they wanted him they would have already had him (and probably fired him by now).

What is, racism.

For what it's worth, I think Strong would be a much better fit at Florida than he was at Texas. I've said since the very moment he was hired he was lovely fit for Texas and I was 100% right about that. Texas is a job that requires a person to be extremely media/booster affable in a way like Notre Dame does, and that was just absolutely not his strong point. Florida is absolutely not that kind of a program, but I also don't think he'd be terribly interested in going back into that scrum, but you'r an idiot to not give him a courtesy call.

He's an excellent coach and recruiter who rebuilt Louisville.

I don't know what universe you're living in, but this is real dumb.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Oct 30, 2017

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

What is, racism.

:ughh:

Not every slight is attributable to racism. Strong has landed HC jobs at Louisville, Texas, and USF; he's doing just fine. Bud Foster and Venables have been star coordinators for years. Sometimes, it takes a while. It took ages for Kirby Smart to get a top HC opportunity.

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

I don't know what universe you're living in, but this is real dumb.

What's real dumb? That Tennessee can't afford to pay someone a buyout? Or that they might be waiting to hire a new coach at the same time they fire the old one?

nate fisher
Mar 3, 2004

We've Got To Go Back

DJExile posted:

Just curious do you really think it is smart money to bring back Jones to save on the buyout? He will end up with 5-6 wins in year 5, and if he comes back next year he will be top name of every hot list. Recruiting will take a beating.

I just don't see how they can keep him another year, even if he makes it to a bowl game.

That is not happen. Even if they had a hire picked out they still would wait a couple of days. It would be pretty disrespectful.

Why Butch is still coaching:

- 50/50 chance to make it to bowl game, and they believe he is the best chance the team has to make it to a bowl game.
- They can't speak with possible candidates until the season is done (I am sure there is some back channel agent stuff going one) which is the end of November.
- Intern comes in and wins over fan base, they are forced into a 2016 LSU situation
- Its not a good look to fire your second coach in a row during the season.

Why he shouldn't be coaching right now:

- He sucks at it.
- Early signing period is 12/20.
- Get an official head start on finding a coach (does this even matter?).
- Get the fanbase to STFU about Butch.
- He sucks at it.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

nate fisher posted:

Just curious do you really think it is smart money to bring back Jones to save on the buyout? He will end up with 5-6 wins in year 5, and if he comes back next year he will be top name of every hot list. Recruiting will take a beating.

Someone mentioned it earlier but I think his buyout drops a bit at the end of this season. Could be they're waiting for that.

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

*bangs fists on table* NO! ROD BROADWAY!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

BTW, USF probably had the easiest path to the NY6 out of G5 schools and blew it this weekend. It's not like Strong's tearing rear end in Tampa.

• Locked thread