Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

God team is going to be a nightmare when they have to pay wentz

Is it? I'm p.sure they are already including that in their future budget planning

TheChirurgeon posted:

yes, especially if they make the Super Bowl this year. Then you're looking at the curse of paying a guy for what he's done and not what he's going to do

The Eagles have always paid their QBs at the level in which they want them to perform. Wentz will be one of the NFL's top 5 paid quarterbacks, if not the highest paid, when he signs his first deal regardless of what happens in the playoffs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

euphronius posted:

So nice to have a good team every 13 years

More than we deserve.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

TheChirurgeon posted:

OK let’s see…

I appreciate you putting the time into this, but if the Eagles make a Calvin Johnson deal I assume there be a bunch of obscure financial tricks involved to make it happen. I don't think we can look at it as "This player costs X amount, so you have to drop these players who make Y amount." And the Eagles have a salary cap magician in charge of things so who the hell can predict what he will come up?

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I'm still not totally sold on Wentz, his mechanics are still medium garbage, he's still not terribly accurate, his deep ball is still bad. I feel like he's a frankenstein of Bortles and Alex Smith

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

I'm still not totally sold on Wentz, his mechanics are still medium garbage, he's still not terribly accurate, his deep ball is still bad. I feel like he's a frankenstein of Bortles and Alex Smith

Really? Like, really?

You probably need to focus more on the intangibles.

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

If you're not striving to improve, you'll end up going backwards.

blue squares posted:

ahahaha lmao an eagles fan ITT is lamenting the terrible thing that would happen if the eagles won the super bowl

Uhhh we are going to have to pay Wentz a shitload even if we don't win the superbowl. Unless we lose out the season from here.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Really? Like, really?

You probably need to focus more on the intangibles.

right now he looks like a thinking man's Eli Manning

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
It's worth noting that the Eagles have a 5th year option on Wentz that will keep him through the 2020 season. It probably won't come to that, but they can't even start negotiating until after next season. What he will make will depends on what other QBs get over the next couple years. I'd guess negotiations will start around $35 million a year.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

right now he looks like a thinking man's Eli Manning

Eli is a future Hall of Famer. I'm not sure how you rectify "not totally sold on Wentz" with "a better version of a future Hall of Famer".

Gumbel2Gumbel
Apr 28, 2010

Wentz just threw the longest completion in the last 2 years

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

I just want to enjoy the ride :shrug:

deedee megadoodoo
Sep 28, 2000
Two roads diverged in a wood, and I, I took the one to Flavortown, and that has made all the difference.

indigi posted:

This is a good troll.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

FWIW I'm not sold on Wentz either, but mostly because there are only like three sure thing quarterbacks in the NFL and one of them is on IR.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost
I'm not totally sold on Wentz either I guess. Like I know he's going to a perennial Pro Bowler and Hall of Famer, and the best Eagles QB ever, but I'm not quite yet ready to say he's going to be the best QB in NFL history.

a new study bible!
Feb 2, 2009

BIG DICK NICK
A Philadelphia Legend
Fly Eagles Fly

Looks up Nick Foles' 2013 stat line

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

a new study bible! posted:

Looks up Nick Foles' 2013 stat line

Trust your eyes, not the stats.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

I appreciate you putting the time into this, but if the Eagles make a Calvin Johnson deal I assume there be a bunch of obscure financial tricks involved to make it happen. I don't think we can look at it as "This player costs X amount, so you have to drop these players who make Y amount." And the Eagles have a salary cap magician in charge of things so who the hell can predict what he will come up?

lol yes obscure financial tricks like all the ones I mentioned in the post, e.g. "cutting or restructuring players"

e: There are no secret tricks. Everything a team can do is outlined in the 2011 CBA

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Oct 31, 2017

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

Eli is a future Hall of Famer. I'm not sure how you rectify "not totally sold on Wentz" with "a better version of a future Hall of Famer".

Eli Manning will be a Hall of Famer through no fault of his own

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

HatfulOfHollow posted:

This is a good troll.

I honestly don't know how you can watch the games and think "Wentz is the model of a consistent, accurate quarterback." yeah he can do absolute magic when plays break down but watching him throw from the pocket is like watching Bortles in 2014. those bad mechanics will catch up with you. he sometimes has a Tebow-like windup to his passes when he's feeling comfortable, and he still holds onto the ball too long.

I'm not saying these issues can't be fixed, but I thought his mechanics would look better coming into year 2 when they actually look worse, and if anything he's become even more erratic on passes outside the numbers. I really want him to work out cause he seems like a lovable doofus but idk if Pederson's got the chops (or the staff) to really sort him out the way a guy like Jim Harbaugh or Andy Reid would.

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

I really want him to work out cause he seems like a lovable doofus but idk if Pederson's got the chops (or the staff) to really sort him out the way a guy like Jim Harbaugh or Andy Reid would.

Why would you think that Andy Reid, a guy who played a few years of college football at offensive lineman, would be a better person to address mechanical issues than Doug Pederson and Frank Reich, who both played QB in the NFL?

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender

NotWearingPants posted:

Why would you think that Andy Reid, a guy who played a few years of college football at offensive lineman, would be a better person to address mechanical issues than Doug Pederson and Frank Reich, who both played QB in the NFL?

Why would you think either of them was responsible for addressing those issues? The Eagles QB coach is John Eugene DeFilippo

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

NotWearingPants posted:

because Reid has done it with multiple quarterbacks on various teams

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

i'm not sold on wentz either, think he's a total fraud and probably has some skeletons in his closet to boot. also i hate him

NotWearingPants
Jan 3, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Nap Ghost

indigi posted:

because Reid has done it with multiple quarterbacks on various teams

Well, Donovan McNabb, a #2 overall pick in the draft, did have a rating above 90 in 3 of his 11 seasons in Philadelphia, so I guess I have to give you that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Zeke suspension is back on again for the 8 millionth time.

https://twitter.com/AmyDashTV/status/925184440824942592

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
I'm sold on Wentz so far, some Eagles fans on here just seem to be the most miserable of jaded bastards though, either that or they forget he's only a second year QB.

Hitting out with comparisons to 3 elite QB's who've been in the league for years "he's not as good as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers" no poo poo sherlock, who is ?

If you don't see a young QB improving before your eyes then there's something wrong with you and if you're too busy worry about his mechanics to actually enjoy this little run he's on then I feel bad for you because it's loving magic.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

El Patron posted:

I'm sold on Wentz so far, some Eagles fans on here just seem to be the most miserable of jaded bastards though, either that or they forget he's only a second year QB.

Hitting out with comparisons to 3 elite QB's who've been in the league for years "he's not as good as Tom Brady or Aaron Rodgers" no poo poo sherlock, who is ?

If you don't see a young QB improving before your eyes then there's something wrong with you and if you're too busy worry about his mechanics to actually enjoy this little run he's on then I feel bad for you because it's loving magic.

We all just have seen what hope does to us before. It's better not to hope because then it hurts less when the team inevitably lets you down. :smith:

18-1 Is Real

edit: The Wild Ride strikes again!

https://twitter.com/armandosalguero/status/925351333435203590

El Patron
Jul 9, 2011

Philly Philly
Jay Ajayi, holy poo poo Howie how do you do these things ?

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Do we really need Ajayi? Like how much is he going to bring to the table?

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
That's really out of left field.

shyduck
Oct 3, 2003

:stare:

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Taco Defender
Huh. Wonder if they'll sign him to a new deal or play him through next year on his rookie contract.

e: lol
https://twitter.com/JeffDarlington/status/925355767951224832

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

https://twitter.com/PFF/status/925355321366806528

:getin:

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Lol gently caress the 2018 draft

(Not complaining )

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
Jay Ajayi will really help the Eagles. He’s easily their most talented runner now

corn on the cop
Oct 12, 2012

Break what must be broken, once for all, that's all, and take the suffering on oneself.

― Corey Dostoyevsky
plan the parade

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Amy Pole Her posted:

Jay Ajayi will really help the Eagles. He’s easily their most talented runner now

It's not like Smallwood and Blount were bad at running, though. The bigger issue was pass protection + running routes out of the backfield--someone who can help deal with the constant blitzing. Dunno how good Ajayi is at that.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
Poor Corey Clement :smith:

At least he got that 1 TD...

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Vengarr posted:

It's not like Smallwood and Blount were bad at running, though. The bigger issue was pass protection + running routes out of the backfield--someone who can help deal with the constant blitzing. Dunno how good Ajayi is at that.

He would have to learn the playbook, which is apparently a problem for him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Vengarr posted:

He’s way better than Blount. I understand why Philly fans vastly overrated him (patriots illusion, understandable) but Ajayi is a huge weapon for your one season push

• Locked thread