Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ditch
Jul 29, 2003

Backdrop Hunger

CarlCX posted:

he's insufficiently self-aware to feel shame

CarlCX posted:

Tim Sylvia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
Tim Sylvia is a big hick doofus, but has there ever been a more universally poo poo on heavyweight champion of anything?

I'm including e-sports and competitive eating here.

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Tommy Morrison went through some poo poo and then died.

CarlCX
Dec 14, 2003

We really need to never forget he put this video out to convince Dana White he was ready for a UFC comeback:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOXHy4oni9k

Captain Log posted:

Tim Sylvia is a big hick doofus, but has there ever been a more universally poo poo on heavyweight champion of anything?

I'm including e-sports and competitive eating here.

Randy, during his scarf-wearing Hollywood phase where he somehow became a more grating public figure than Dana White.

Honorable mention for Fedor, not for Fedor himself but for his two-year reign as the champion of WAMMA

Neurosis
Jun 10, 2003
Fallen Rib

Captain Log posted:

It can always get worse.

Is it a plumbing contest? Those men look like plumbers.

that's the best picture they could get

sylvia/monson was enough combat between sylvia and a high level bjj player for my lifetime, i think

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Neurosis posted:

that's the best picture they could get

sylvia/monson was enough combat between sylvia and a high level bjj player for my lifetime, i think

I might go to that event. It feels like is will be a piece of performance art.

Sylvia getting choked in ten seconds by a dumpy Russian looking motherfucker and Chael tapdancing about how it was THE BEST match ever.

Could be funny. And cheap. Very cheap.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Captain Log posted:

I might go to that event. It feels like is will be a piece of performance art.

Sylvia getting choked in ten seconds by a dumpy Russian looking motherfucker and Chael tapdancing about how it was THE BEST match ever.

Could be funny. And cheap. Very cheap.

I've got tickets to the Foo Fighters that same week but this sounds like fun too...

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

kensei posted:

I've got tickets to the Foo Fighters that same week but this sounds like fun too...

If I knew the dap emote, I’d put it here.

Keep a brother updated.

Fat Twitter Man
Jan 24, 2007

by R. Guyovich
*sotto voce* open weight grand prix

http://mmajunkie.com/2017/11/bellator-ryan-bader-interested-in-heavyweight-tournament

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
I would pay good money to see Ryan Bader lose to a fat man.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Go watch Bader vs Rumble again.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Everyone should watch Bader vs Rumble again because it is one of the few times in your life that you will see an extremely large cage fighter absolutely terrified. Forrest vs Silva and Lesnar vs Cain are the only two even close.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Tbf, Forrest was never terrified. He kept doggedly running into those strikes.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

c-spam cannot afford

Forrest has said himself that he was drowning in xanax to even make the walk to the cage.

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
Forrest is literally the most terrified MMA fighter of all time. Followed closely by GSP.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Nierbo posted:

Forrest is literally the most terrified MMA fighter of all time. Followed closely by GSP.

“Hit him with your groin!” - A MMA coach of champions.

El Roncho
Oct 15, 2006

I'm not necessarily proud of this but I'm gonna leave it here anyways.
Cowardly fighter chat and no mention of Kalib Starnes?

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Mr. Nice! posted:

Everyone should watch Bader vs Rumble again because it is one of the few times in your life that you will see an extremely large cage fighter absolutely terrified. Forrest vs Silva and Lesnar vs Cain are the only two even close.

Rich Franklin's look of resigned terror while Anderson was rearranging his face with knees was cool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Rich Franklin's look of resigned terror while Anderson was rearranging his face with knees was cool.

I still think Anderson was a pretty unique fighter. Which made him loving terrifying.

That dude would walk out of fights without breaking a sweat.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
That period where Anderson and Machida had mystique about the strategy to beat them was cool because the answers turned out to be punch them really hard

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009

Triticum Guzzler posted:

That period where Anderson and Machida had mystique about the strategy to beat them was cool because the answers turned out to be punch them really hard

Hendo hit Anderson with a BRH and it did nothing.

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Anderson kept dropping his s hands to dance, its only normal someone would finally oblige him. The leg break definitely took his magic away tho.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Hendo hit Anderson with a BRH and it did nothing.

The trick was to throw the same hand twice. I'm just joking around but Anderson was years ahead of the pack technically, but the baseline level of boxing skill has progressively risen in the past decade and it was that more than the wrestling that felled him in the end.

When I started watching MMA Bas was a respected striking coach and he thought jabbing was useless

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Yeah fighters now have much better footwork, combinations and counterpunching. Silva's and Machida's physical decline is just making their flaws stand out more. Aldo too

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

Triticum Guzzler posted:

When I started watching MMA Bas was a respected striking coach and he thought jabbing was useless

That still blows my mind. I'm a striking novice and I've always been told jabs set range and disrupt the other fighter's movements.

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Holloway is such a loving killer and as big of a Frankie Stan as I am I won't feel too bad watching him get violently worked over.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?

Tezcatlipoca posted:

Yeah fighters now have much better footwork, combinations and counterpunching. Silva's and Machida's physical decline is just making their flaws stand out more. Aldo too

i wonder how much of the development of those skills in mma owe to machida and silva. there was such an unbelievable contrast in skills in some of their early fights. and then as everyone got better at it, and silva and machida got older, they gradually looked more and more human until they were losing to derek brunson.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

coconono posted:

That still blows my mind. I'm a striking novice and I've always been told jabs set range and disrupt the other fighter's movements.

His argument was along these lines --

quote:

MMA (sorta true at the time) is a power sport boiling down to major clashes/collisions. You shoot for a takedown, I sprawl.
You throw haymakers, I brawl back.

Unlike the relatively more point-based boxing and kickboxing, MMA is all about damage, so you should square up and be able to stun with a power lead hand instead of holding more of you torso out of range and probing at jab range.
I put that as a quote so no one can quote me.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
Bas has no cartilage in his knees and let a neck injury persist to the point where he can't lift weights properly and has a single tiny arm now.

What I am saying is don't listen to him.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I get what bas is saying from a philosophical standpoint.

Otherwise that's loving dumb.

"It's the most under-utilized strike in the sport!" (every coach ever talking about jabs)

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

modern sport MMA is point-based tho. Its all about volume of significant strikes, etc.

Old school 2 beer bellies wailing on each other in the middle of the ring, yeah setting strikes not so useful. But those guys all died or live sad lives now.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006
I've always thought of a crisp jab as a way to hit someone's mental reset button. It's like reseting a Nintendo cartridge.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

coconono posted:

modern sport MMA is point-based tho. Its all about volume of significant strikes, etc.

Yeah, and it has certainly evolved in that direction since Bas' Pancrase / 3-weight class UFC days.
I think the failure in his thinking was that there was no hope of outpointing the brawler with better technique and footwork, but to level off at a hybrid level of skill.

Triticum Guzzler
Jun 16, 2002
His reasoning was that you should have a square stance to defend takedowns, which makes sense from a Bas Rutten perspective

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

kimbo305 sighed as he dusted off his Bas Rutten's Big Books of Combat, Volume 1.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Even in the last decade it has evolved a shitload. I rewatched Penn-Sherk yesterday and it was actually kind of depressing. That fight wouldn't be out of place on a Fightpass prelim for a Fox card now, in terms of technique.

I also forgot that the crowed was booing that fight.

Bluedeanie
Jul 20, 2008

It's no longer a blue world, Max. Where could we go?

Does anyone have Nate Quarry's epiphany where after several years as a pro he learned you could throw a punch thats only intention was to throw a better, more damaging punch thereafter?

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin
https://twitter.com/Jonnyboy_6969/status/926594046721777664

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

Ay yai yai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Did his corner catch his soul in a towel as it left his body? This is important.