Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice
With comments like this from Dan Mullen's wife I highly doubt he is coming back to Florida...

“The former school where we were at before, we won championships there, won practically every single game we played for four years there,” Megan Mullen said. “It wasn’t if we won or lost. It was if we didn’t score 43 points or more, I was going to the grocery store in Orlando where I worked with the Golf Channel and I was driving the groceries back to Gainesville, because it was that bad.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/former-florida-coach-dan-mullens-wife-discusses-difficulty-coaching-gainesville

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

LLCoolJD posted:

:ughh:

Not every slight is attributable to racism. Strong has landed HC jobs at Louisville, Texas, and USF; he's doing just fine. Bud Foster and Venables have been star coordinators for years. Sometimes, it takes a while. It took ages for Kirby Smart to get a top HC opportunity.

Dude, he was straight up passed up for SEC jobs because he has a white wife and this is pretty well documented.

See here: http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/2009-01-07/sports/strong07_1_head-coach-hiring-a-coach-interracial-marriage

Demon Of The Fall posted:

What's real dumb? That Tennessee can't afford to pay someone a buyout? Or that they might be waiting to hire a new coach at the same time they fire the old one?

The second part (Butch's buyout is prolly not a concern for them.)

That is almost never how modern searches work.

Grittybeard
Mar 29, 2010

Bad, very bad!

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

That is almost never how modern searches work.

I mean it's just a bad look. Like backdoor deals obviously happen but you don't want it to appear as though you were out looking for your next coach before you bothered to fire the one you have now. Even if everyone does it to some extent.

Even when it's so completely obvious you're going to fire your coach like it is here.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Alaois posted:

*bangs fists on table* NO! ROD BROADWAY!

he's no john grass

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

So people stop asking, the "Bi" in my username is a reference to my love for the two greatest collegiate sports programs in the world, the Virginia Tech Hokies and the Marshall Thundering Herd.

Grittybeard posted:

I mean it's just a bad look. Like backdoor deals obviously happen but you don't want it to appear as though you were out looking for your next coach before you bothered to fire the one you have now. Even if everyone does it to some extent.

Even when it's so completely obvious you're going to fire your coach like it is here.

It's not even just that. There's all sort of legal issues going, as well as that most searches are ran through head hunter firms.

Dilber
Mar 27, 2007

TFLC
(Trophy Feline Lifting Crew)

UF needs to be a more disciplined team, and who but a former referee could do this?

Ron Cherry for UF head coach. He'll give the rest of the SEC the business.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

It seems more likely that if they have made a decision to fire Butch, that they're either going to let him coach out the year out of respect or they're still working out the details of a buy out.

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

It seems more likely that if they have made a decision to fire Butch, that they're either going to let him coach out the year out of respect or they're still working out the details of a buy out.

No chance the former is true.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Charlie Strong also lost to Kansas

Thats really bad

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Crotch Bat posted:

No chance the former is true.

I would guess so too, but just offering it as a possible explanation.

It also seems possible a decision hasn't been made.

an adult beverage
Aug 13, 2005

1,2,3,4,5 dem gators don't take no jive. go gator -US Rep. Corrine Brown (D) FL

fyallm posted:

With comments like this from Dan Mullen's wife I highly doubt he is coming back to Florida...

“The former school where we were at before, we won championships there, won practically every single game we played for four years there,” Megan Mullen said. “It wasn’t if we won or lost. It was if we didn’t score 43 points or more, I was going to the grocery store in Orlando where I worked with the Golf Channel and I was driving the groceries back to Gainesville, because it was that bad.”

https://www.seccountry.com/florida/former-florida-coach-dan-mullens-wife-discusses-difficulty-coaching-gainesville

~~~SEC... It just means more.~~~

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

For what it's worth, I think Strong would be a much better fit at Florida than he was at Texas. I've said since the very moment he was hired he was lovely fit for Texas and I was 100% right about that. Texas is a job that requires a person to be extremely media/booster affable in a way like Notre Dame does, and that was just absolutely not his strong point.

I can't say how he was at booster gladhanding, but Strong was pretty great at the media stuff. He seemed nervous at the very beginning, like his introductory press conference, but very quickly developed a relaxed/confident/affable demeanor in front of the cameras. Better than Herman, that's for sure. Strong came across as really genuine most of the time, and he had a countrified charm to him. Herman comes across like an arrogant spergy douche, most likely because he is an arrogant spergy douche. I think Herman will probably end up being more successful than Strong, maybe very successful, but he is not what you would call an "affable" guy. And if he wins, nobody will care.

In general I reject the idea that you have to be some kind of politician to be the coach at Texas. If you win a shitload of games, everyone will like you just fine. If you don't, you'll be looking for work in 3-4 years, whether people like you or not. Despite what some might have you believe, Texas fans overwhelmingly liked Strong and wanted him to succeed, but the product on the field wasn't there, so that was that. All of Mack's accomplishments here, all of his love for the spotlight, and all of his coziness with our biggest boosters didn't let him survive more than four years of poor-to-mediocre results.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

Thermos H Christ posted:

I can't say how he was at booster gladhanding, but Strong was pretty great at the media stuff. He seemed nervous at the very beginning, like his introductory press conference, but very quickly developed a relaxed/confident/affable demeanor in front of the cameras. Better than Herman, that's for sure. Strong came across as really genuine most of the time, and he had a countrified charm to him. Herman comes across like an arrogant spergy douche, most likely because he is an arrogant spergy douche. I think Herman will probably end up being more successful than Strong, maybe very successful, but he is not what you would call an "affable" guy. And if he wins, nobody will care.

In general I reject the idea that you have to be some kind of politician to be the coach at Texas. If you win a shitload of games, everyone will like you just fine. If you don't, you'll be looking for work in 3-4 years, whether people like you or not. Despite what some might have you believe, Texas fans overwhelmingly liked Strong and wanted him to succeed, but the product on the field wasn't there, so that was that. All of Mack's accomplishments here, all of his love for the spotlight, and all of his coziness with our biggest boosters didn't let him survive more than four years of poor-to-mediocre results.

This is mostly all laughably untrue.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

do tell

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

All seems pretty much right to me. Care to elaborate on why it's untrue?

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun
I think Matt Campbell would be a real good fit for Florida. He's got Iowa State--IOWA STATE--in the top 15! And they've beaten two TOP FIVE teams in two weeks! Say what you will about Oklahoma or TCU this year, they're legit good teams, and he's got ISU punching way above their weight there. His Toledo teams were also real good, so he's pretty solid.

If you want a more solid candidate, one with more experience, there really aren't any in college football that are likely willing to jump to Florida--the number of candidates that leave a P5 school (without being fired) for another are really low. I looked it up for the last two years and while I might have missed one, I don't think there were any. Speculation always seems to center around that, and it never happens. ISU to Florida seems like a reasonable case for it to happen (Fuente, etc. are totally unlikely for this reason).

Big Piece O Shit
Jan 30, 2006

buddhanc posted:

All seems pretty much right to me. Care to elaborate on why it's untrue?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

fyallm posted:

These guys are paid $4,000,000+ per year. They need to be able to ignore noise like that.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain

LLCoolJD posted:

These guys are paid $4,000,000+ per year. They need to be able to ignore noise like that.

I think this is something easier written on a message board than it is in real life. After a while, I'm sure it wears on you, no matter how much money is in your 401K and checking account.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah if you are basically any coach in the top 50 you are going to be recognized everywhere and if you're at any of the big programs you are literally never left alone if you or your family is out in public.

Lasagna Pilot
Feb 6, 2009

No, you're dark-side intergalactic encyclopedia salesmen. Unfortunately, the home office hasn't been quite upfront with you.

vikingstrike posted:

I think this is something easier written on a message board than it is in real life. After a while, I'm sure it wears on you, no matter how much money is in your 401K and checking account.

I would use postmates and grocery pickup services and otherwise have a security entourage of people dressed as school mascots that stiff-armed and tackled anyone approaching without appointment.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

I think Matt Campbell would be a real good fit for Florida. He's got Iowa State--IOWA STATE--in the top 15! And they've beaten two TOP FIVE teams in two weeks! Say what you will about Oklahoma or TCU this year, they're legit good teams, and he's got ISU punching way above their weight there. His Toledo teams were also real good, so he's pretty solid.

If you want a more solid candidate, one with more experience, there really aren't any in college football that are likely willing to jump to Florida--the number of candidates that leave a P5 school (without being fired) for another are really low. I looked it up for the last two years and while I might have missed one, I don't think there were any. Speculation always seems to center around that, and it never happens. ISU to Florida seems like a reasonable case for it to happen (Fuente, etc. are totally unlikely for this reason).

No.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Ghost of Reagan Past posted:

Matt Campbell is terrible, he’s just winning with Paul Rhoads recruits, yada, yada, yada.

Don’t take him away :(

fyallm
Feb 27, 2007

College Slice

LLCoolJD posted:

Just because they make alot of money doesn't mean they deserve to be treated like poo poo.

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Lasagna Pilot posted:

I would use postmates and grocery pickup services and otherwise have a security entourage of people dressed as school mascots that stiff-armed and tackled anyone approaching without appointment.

I would have an entourage of Goldy mascots, regardless of the school I coached at.

fyallm posted:

Just because they make alot of money doesn't mean they deserve to be treated like poo poo.

Deservin's got nothin' to do with it :clint:

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

LLCoolJD posted:

His wife isn’t being paid 4 mil a year to coach football.

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

Charley Strong was a really bad coach at Texas. He lost to Kansas, and not because he had to be nice to boosters or go on TV. Being a bad cultural fit doesn’t explain why his teams could play neither offense nor defense.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

YOLOsubmarine posted:

His wife isn’t being paid 4 mil a year to coach football.

This is insanely dumb.

YOLOsubmarine posted:

Charley Strong was a really bad coach at Texas. He lost to Kansas, and not because he had to be nice to boosters or go on TV. Being a bad cultural fit doesn’t explain why his teams could play neither offense nor defense.

Could it possibly be that one leads to the other. :thinkingface:

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

LLCoolJD posted:

lol yeah man gently caress that bitch for not wanting to get harassed by rear end in a top hat strangers

Crotch Bat
Dec 6, 2003

Much like with everything else in life, the Euros seem to have more sense on how to do things in a fun atmosphere without sucking the soul out of the event.
I know I'm at a good place in my fandom because I have absolutely no loving clue what Fuente's wife looks like. Hell, I couldn't pick Cheryl Beamer out of a lineup and Frank coached at VT for 29 years.

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

BI NOW GAY LATER posted:

This is insanely dumb.

Could it possibly be that one leads to the other. :thinkingface:

Or maybe he's just a bad coach who can't do anything unless he has a transcendent quarterback in a bad league

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

Or maybe he's just a bad coach who can't do anything unless he has a transcendent quarterback in a bad league

:lol:

Louisville was a dumpster fire when he took over between Petrino being bad at long-term planning and Kragthorpe crashing and burning.

BI NOW GAY LATER fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Oct 31, 2017

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Okay, then explain to me exactly how he had 3 straight losing seasons at Texas. Is he such a feeble man that he drained all his energy schmoozing at night and had nothing left to coach all the 4 and 5 stars in the morning?

Or is he maybe just not that good of a coach? He was fine with the media and almost everyone I've ever talked to wanted him to succeed and was pumped for a long time until it was clear he couldn't get it done.

BI NOW GAY LATER
Jan 17, 2008

buddhanc posted:

Okay, then explain to me exactly how he had 3 straight losing seasons at Texas. Is he such a feeble man that he drained all his energy schmoozing at night and had nothing left to coach all the 4 and 5 stars in the morning?

Or is he maybe just not that good of a coach? He was fine with the media and almost everyone I've ever talked to wanted him to succeed and was pumped for a long time until it was clear he couldn't get it done.

I think it was just a lovely fit; and everything I've ever heard about him from people who've been around him is that he does not like the sort of media spotlight. It can be a variety of things

I also think you can be a bad fit or have a bad run somewhere and not be "a lovely coach." Especially since the results on the field at Texas were never the same as what he's produced in his other jobs.

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
yo andichu you didn't have to sit through three years of his garbage, he's a bad head coach. You don't have to make excuses for good coaches. Nick saban is a oval office. Todd Orlando is a oval office. Jeremy Pruitt is a oval office. Chip Kelly is a oval office. Difference is they win

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Oh also he immediately kicked half the team for sagging their pants and smoking weed which I'm sure he did because the boosters were mean

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

maybe texas is just bad

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
Oh we are but Charlie strong didn't do poo poo to fix that

Marquis de Pyro
Sep 25, 2006

Evil Prevails
Usually when a coach loses a lot of games, he's a bad fit

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

buddhanc posted:

But enough about Herman's success at Ohio State...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Scionix posted:

yo andichu you didn't have to sit through three years of his garbage, he's a bad head coach. You don't have to make excuses for good coaches. Nick saban is a oval office. Todd Orlando is a oval office. Jeremy Pruitt is a oval office. Chip Kelly is a oval office. Difference is they win

Harbough is gonna go from wonderfully quirky to annoying real quick for Michigan fans if there isn't a conference title in the next couple of years.

• Locked thread