Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Simian_Prime posted:

So what happens to these people when they themselves have to GM?

This is the purpose of the GM mask, it's like an executioner's hood.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Simian_Prime posted:

So what happens to these people when they themselves have to GM?

From experience playing the game, it's like a contest to see who can beat who in a game of "knows the rules better." That same guy from before ran a game that I played in with a min-maxer and, in one session, he got in a one-on-one fight that last 2 hours with the min-maxer in an attempt to see who knew 3.5's rules better and could "one-up" the other into submission. It was boring and really, really sad for both people involved. Even more so because the GM used a mirror, the player was cheating his rolls, and, it turned out, both of them were misinterpreting the rules on how these powers worked, as we later found out.

Like the nerdiest Cohen Brother movie you can imagine.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

Getsuya posted:

What if the wizard deliberately made a smaller gazebo than he was capable of to throw them off the scent? And how would they account for an Amulet of Increased Gazebo he may or may not have to inflate it beyond his normal ability?

This is the problem with the Trollman ideological universe - they don't realize that even the 3.5e rules are structured to allow for arbitrary, heretofore unknown special abilities possessed by monsters or even PC-caliber characters. It might have been a monster with an (Ex) ability to build things really fast, for instance.

They mistake a ttrpg with consistent grammar for a closed system, but if D&D actually were a closed system there'd be no such thing as supplements introducing new feats, spells, or items.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/wario64/status/925085134906302464

Buncha Pathfinder stuff on Humble for cheap if you're into that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

You get what you pay for

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

Waffleman_ posted:

Some of the vidgames are actually quite good, so it's probably worth the mid-tier bundle just for those.

Well.

Except for Pathfinder Online.

Let's not forget Paizo hasn't given up that ghost.

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Man, how much money is Paizo throwing at Humble Bundle to keep getting them to do PF bundles? That's like, what, the fifth time this year?

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I don't think it's a matter of offering money so much as product.

And good for them, anyway, it may be obviously be a marketing push to get new players, but there are a lot worse ways to go about that.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Waffleman_ posted:

Majesty Gold HD is extremely good, but Kingsway and Leviathan Warships are so ehhh that it's really the PF stuff that's the selling point for the higher tiers.

Evil Mastermind posted:

Man, how much money is Paizo throwing at Humble Bundle to keep getting them to do PF bundles? That's like, what, the fifth time this year?

Humble Bundle was recently bought out by IGN, so they're commercializing/corporatizing pretty hard

Tasoth
Dec 13, 2011
Late to the WtF 2e chat, but another way to think of it is beat cops on a really bad beat. Who also take the view that they can't arrest everybody, so busting heads every so often to keep the peace is a valid path. It just happens that sometimes you beat on a spirit that has connections to a really potent entity (like taking out the local mafia boss' nephew to continue our analogy) or your cops progress from just being brutish peacekeepers to extorting the local neighborhood and now everyone is pissed.

There's also the implication that Wolf actually wasn't getting weak. It was that Wolf took on an impossible task in its pride and paid for it in the end. And now you, descendant of Wolf, are stuck with the task a literal god could not even handle. Good luck, have fun!

Tasoth fucked around with this message at 00:31 on Oct 31, 2017

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Halloween Jack posted:

[...]

It's also wrong to, say, have an NPC wizard just summon a gazebo, unless you write up a summon gazebo spell that the players can then read to backsolve the caster's level from the cubic footage of the gazebo. That's why magical tea party is bad: how can I metagame everything if you're just making poo poo up?!

The creative process of 99% of fantasy literature must be outside their experience then, considering that most donīt have even close to what is called "consistent" design? Or does it simply blow their mind when they finish reading Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser having witnessed BS mages making up powers and stuff from the get-go?

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Mr.Misfit posted:

The creative process of 99% of fantasy literature must be outside their experience then, considering that most donīt have even close to what is called "consistent" design? Or does it simply blow their mind when they finish reading Fafhrd and the Grey Mouser having witnessed BS mages making up powers and stuff from the get-go?

Literature isn't a game, why would the same principles apply?

Like, as Ferrinus already said, D&D isn't actually a closed system and that's their mistake. I'd play the poo poo out of a tabletop RPG that was a closed system, though -- though the endpoint of that isn't "you have tools the prevent the GM abusing his power" but rather "you don't actually need a GM, at least in the sense of a referee -- you just have a monster/environment player."

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Literature isn't a game, why would the same principles apply?

Like, as Ferrinus already said, D&D isn't actually a closed system and that's their mistake. I'd play the poo poo out of a tabletop RPG that was a closed system, though -- though the endpoint of that isn't "you have tools the prevent the GM abusing his power" but rather "you don't actually need a GM, at least in the sense of a referee -- you just have a monster/environment player."

Isnt that basically Descent

occamsnailfile
Nov 4, 2007

zamtrios so lonely
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I remember a brief window when adult MLP fandom was about how nobody can beat me up for liking girl stuff now.

Instead of just, you know, hating girls

I do remember this brief window in time and it was something that made me happy for that reason...until they went and ruined it. Also the show's creator kind of ruined the show IIRC but I actually never watched it.

Hoping the brony-types have all been drawn to the Rick & Morty honeypot and leave Steven Universe alone.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

fool_of_sound posted:

Probably. I only have so many dollars a month to spend on RPGs I'll never play. :suicide:

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 00:57 on Oct 31, 2017

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

fool_of_sound posted:

in theory but vanilla descent is pretty bad, and 2.0 is only decent with the app that makes it co-op

gloomhaven is much closer to a proper example and also doesn't require a GM

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Probably. I only have so many dollars a month to spend on RPGs I'll never play. :suicide:

Descent is a board game though, is the thing.

unseenlibrarian
Jun 4, 2012

There's only one thing in the mountains that leaves a track like this. The creature of legend that roams the Timberline. My people named him Sasquatch. You call him... Bigfoot.

occamsnailfile posted:

I do remember this brief window in time and it was something that made me happy for that reason...until they went and ruined it. Also the show's creator kind of ruined the show IIRC but I actually never watched it.

Hoping the brony-types have all been drawn to the Rick & Morty honeypot and leave Steven Universe alone.

Early on there were people trying to make "Gemtlemen" a thing for adult white dude fans of SU and no one was having it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Oh no not the Steven Universe fanbase

unzealous
Mar 24, 2009

Die, Die, DIE!

It reminds me of that quote from dogs in the vineyard, which I'll probably butcher. "You're given a gun and a bible and get problems that can't be solved by either"

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

unzealous posted:

It reminds me of that quote from dogs in the vineyard, which I'll probably butcher. "You're given a gun and a bible and get problems that can't be solved by either"

That's a pretty good summary.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Mr.Misfit posted:

I don't wanna go on and on talking about other forums and psychoanalyzing their owners, but that's kind of his thing. He's a prime example of a kind of person who only understands fiction as a documentary account of a universe that just so happens to not exist. Qualities like theme and tone are meaningless; fiction can only describe events and physical characteristics, and genres are just bundles of cliches.

For example, you've noticed a couple mocking references to After Sundown, his WoD heartbreaker? It includes Evil Plants--a la Little Shop of Horrors--because that's part of the horror genre, right? He once mentioned the idea of a Shadowrun PC group featuring Bane, King Arthur, and a Neal Stephenson character.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

are you sure it was little shop and not like, at least the day of the triffids?

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Brother Entropy posted:

are you sure it was little shop and not like, at least the day of the triffids?

I reviewed the book ages ago. This is an actual quote from the game.

quote:

Mantraps are essentially Aubrey the monster from Little Shop of Horrors or the carnivorous plants from Mario Brothers.
And to quote my own review: AND IT'S AUDREY, YOU loving HACK! CAN'T YOU EVEN GET THAT RIGHT?

But don't worry, he did triffids too.

quote:

The Triffids are mobile plant monsters that are only vaguely describable as humanoid in shape. Like other Evil Plants, they need meat in their diet, but unlike the others they can get up and walk at a normal speed. As such, Triffids are not relegated to ambush hunting, they can seriously chase their prey down and eat them. And they do.

e: I think it was Halloween Jack who pointed out that Frank is the type of person who can only think in terms of refernces to media he's consumed.

Evil Mastermind fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Oct 31, 2017

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

*Piranha Plants

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Halloween Jack posted:

I don't wanna go on and on talking about other forums and psychoanalyzing their owners, but that's kind of his thing. He's a prime example of a kind of person who only understands fiction as a documentary account of a universe that just so happens to not exist. Qualities like theme and tone are meaningless; fiction can only describe events and physical characteristics, and genres are just bundles of cliches.

For example, you've noticed a couple mocking references to After Sundown, his WoD heartbreaker? It includes Evil Plants--a la Little Shop of Horrors--because that's part of the horror genre, right? He once mentioned the idea of a Shadowrun PC group featuring Bane, King Arthur, and a Neal Stephenson character.

I know some people like this. And they are very common in the roleplaying scene. They just don't get fiction. There in other things too of course. They're the kind of guys who I once got into an argument with over Jane Foster Thor where I explain that she's dying of cancer because Jason Aaron wanted to explore mortality and they thought that was way too meta and explained how if she did 20 exact thing she could still treat her cancer despite the fact that transphorming me to Thor was killing her. They also refuse to buy that magic curing her cancer would come at a cost because doesn't make sense because magic doesn't work that way. Note: magic has never been consistent in that comic series nor has it ever been explained.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zoro posted:

I know some people like this. And they are very common in the roleplaying scene. They just don't get fiction. There in other things too of course.

These are called "nerds", which as a collective, do not critically examine any fandom they engage with.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Nuns with Guns posted:

These are called "nerds", which as a collective, do not critically examine any fandom they engage with.

Well, like I said, they felt that themes and motifs and wanting to explore the Human Condition was too meta of a reason for a character to have cancer that they can't treat. So, yeah, nerds don't get poo poo about literature but sure as hell act like they do.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zoro posted:

Well, like I said, they felt that themes and motifs and wanting to explore the Human Condition was too meta of a reason for a character to have cancer that they can't treat. So, yeah, nerds don't get poo poo about literature but sure as hell act like they do.

Well, superheroes occupy a weird and uncomfortable space where thinking "why don't they cure cancer?" comes up pretty often when you explain to a non-comic fan that a quarter of the major characters are super geniuses that can rip time and space apart. There's not much you can do besides go "because that's not the story comic writers want to cover" and ignore it, but it is generally one of those blind spots people get pissy about when you poke them. You don't need to be unwilling to engage with a broad and frankly vague theme like "human mortality" to find that tiresome or uncomfortable to probe again.

Or you could be like that guy and resort childish defense mechanism to hide the virulent misogyny the internet infected you with.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Well, superheroes occupy a weird and uncomfortable space where thinking "why don't they cure cancer?" comes up pretty often when you explain to a non-comic fan that a quarter of the major characters are super geniuses that can rip time and space apart. There's not much you can do besides go "because that's not the story comic writers want to cover" and ignore it, but it is generally one of those blind spots people get pissy about when you poke them. You don't need to be unwilling to engage with a broad and frankly vague theme like "human mortality" to find that tiresome or uncomfortable to probe again.

Or you could be like that guy and resort childish defense mechanism to hide the virulent misogyny the internet infected you with.

Yeah, a lot of people have been telling me that Jane Foster Thor is a favorite Target of Internet misogynists who love finding any excuse to poo poo on her and try to get people to stop reading her. Hell, I bitched about this before on SA because it was really annoying me because that argument was the infuriating type where you can tell that they will just keep changing their position to suit their needs no matter what. And they were telling me that that was likely the reason they were doing that.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
One of the awesome things about not being able to read ideology in a story is that you never have to learn anything about yourself or question your own beliefs! Just go through life thinking that your knee-jerk reactions are facts.

Gamergate and anime Nazis are in large part the product of a failure to read.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Nuns with Guns posted:

man i dont know who you're talking to but i cant think of a normal person i know who critically examines their hobbies either

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

TVtropes is kind of indicative how people can try and break down media without bothering to apply any sort of criticism or analysis, treating fiction as if it was just a bunch of lego bricks to be broken apart rather than looking at the whole blueprint.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Alien Rope Burn posted:

TVtropes is kind of indicative how people can try and break down media without bothering to apply any sort of criticism or analysis, treating fiction as if it was just a bunch of lego bricks to be broken apart rather than looking at the whole blueprint.

In many ways, TV tropes catch phrase should have been " the internet makes you stupid." It fits better. Because TV tropes ruined criticism and analysis of fiction in the public discourse is a bunch of pseudo-scientific phrases that ends of actually ruining any attempt to actually critically analyze a work of art.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Zoro posted:

Yeah, a lot of people have been telling me that Jane Foster Thor is a favorite Target of Internet misogynists who love finding any excuse to poo poo on her and try to get people to stop reading her. Hell, I bitched about this before on SA because it was really annoying me because that argument was the infuriating type where you can tell that they will just keep changing their position to suit their needs no matter what. And they were telling me that that was likely the reason they were doing that.

It's funny, too, because the Jane Foster Thor arc has been one of, if not the best, selling "legacy" hero books. It's well done and Jason Aaron's entire Thor story has been great. Maybe it's the visibility of it that makes people lash out at it more than Laura's Wolverine book or Kate's Hawkeye? Even Riri taking half-taking over the Iron Man books hasn't become shorthand for FORCED MARVEL SJW PROGRESSIVISIM the same way, when it's arguably weaker overall.

Zoro
Aug 30, 2017

by Smythe

Nuns with Guns posted:

Even Riri taking half-taking over the Iron Man books hasn't become shorthand for FORCED MARVEL SJW PROGRESSIVISIM the same way, when it's arguably weaker overall.

You have never been to Reddit. Specifically, r/comicbooks.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i feel like the difference there is ain't no one cares about the legacy of clint barton and laura's been a lady wolverine around long enough that it doesn't feel like a great big shake up for her to take over for a couple years before they inevitably bring logan back

buuut i washed my hands of western cape books like six years ago so what do i know

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Countblanc posted:

man i dont know who you're talking to but i cant think of a normal person i know who critically examines their hobbies either

There's a difference between the way online circles will collectively lash out at any critical analysis of their chosen media and a random enthusiast-but-uncritical Game of Thrones-watcher.

Zoro posted:

You have never been to Reddit. Specifically, r/comicbooks.

True, and I don't plan on it.

Brother Entropy posted:

i feel like the difference there is ain't no one cares about the legacy of clint barton and laura's been a lady wolverine around long enough that it doesn't feel like a great big shake up for her to take over for a couple years before they inevitably bring logan back

buuut i washed my hands of western cape books like six years ago so what do i know

If you want to get technical, the period where Bucky took over Captain America is about the most direct parallel. I remember people being upset at Cap having a gun for a while, but not much else. Aaron's been pretty upfront that Jane being the only Thor isn't permanent but a kind of stepping stone onto more great stories, and people are still salty about it.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Thor is much more a symbol of nacho macho duderism than the rest, even Wolverine. But it's ironic to hear such whinging, particularly because it's not like Original Thor was even taken off the board like some others were, he just doesn't have his hammer. He even has his own comic again and all.

I can only wonder what would have happened if the internet had existed when Beta Ray Bill first appeared. I mean, you want to see Thor getting chumped by a new horse-man out of nowhere and having his role nabbed, those issues are a big slice of humble pie for the thunder god. They're great, but think I can ssume some people threw a fit at the time... but now just about everybody how knows about Bill thinks he's rad.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Nuns with Guns posted:

If you want to get technical, the period where Bucky took over Captain America is about the most direct parallel. I remember people being upset at Cap having a gun for a while, but not much else. Aaron's been pretty upfront that Jane being the only Thor isn't permanent but a kind of stepping stone onto more great stories, and people are still salty about it.

i won't lie, the complete transparency in bucky-cap dying just in time for steve to take back the mantle right as the first cap movie was coming out soured most of the dwindling goodwill i still had in cape comics

(bucky and dick grayson were robbed! robbed, i tell you!)

• Locked thread